Ross.DAFC85

Re: Gold Championship 10 Match Report Thread

Sooooo.....

Been here almost two weeks now and here's what I have learned about GC10

1. Theres very little activity on the forum

2. Theres little chance of Internal Deals

3. Money doesnt particularly matter

4. There are some good guys in it

I'm already thinking there's little point in taking a non established (i.e. side with a decent roster of players) side in here, which is exactly what I have done. That said I have improved the side quite dramatically (starting 11 from 86 to 88) and brought Raul Merieles in.

Will think my next move through carefully.

Sooooo.....

I'm already thinking there's little point in taking a non established (i.e. side with a decent roster of players) side in here' date=' which is exactly what I have done. That said I have improved the side quite dramatically (starting 11 from 86 to 88) and brought Raul Merieles in.

Will think my next move through carefully.[/quote']

Apologies Ed i'd missed that this was your GC cherry :P - we are honoured!

The general rule of thumb with GC's in my experience is that the older they are the less accessible they are to new managers (for a multitude of reasons that i've commented on at length in the past - don't get me started!).

Taking over Deportivo you're banging your head against a brick wall trying to compete with Barca, Atletico and the like, unless you're prepared to invest vast amounts of time in this one gameworld - that's no slight on you as a manager, it's just that (as you've learned) everyone is paranoid about selling youth in case they become the next Messi and will seldom sell anyone rated over 87 for cash.

Success with a team like Deportivo ultimately then becomes a tedious exercise in trawling through the unmanaged teams looking to scavenge the odd 86 or obscure under-21 player.

For a tough challenge that might actually be fun too you should take over Dundee United or Hearts in the SPL as raising them to an average of 87/88 (they've both got masses of cash) would mean you'd be at a level to compete with Celtic, Drogheda, Linfield, Rangers and myself for the title and should be able to get into Europe/ win the occasional Cup/ Shield far more often.

Plus you'd maybe (just maybe!) be able to get the odd flukey win over me..! :P;)

Apologies Ed i'd missed that this was your GC cherry :P - we are honoured!

The general rule of thumb with GC's in my experience is that the older they are the less accessible they are to new managers (for a multitude of reasons that i've commented on at length in the past - don't get me started!).

Taking over Deportivo you're banging your head against a brick wall trying to compete with Barca' date=' Atletico and the like, unless you're prepared to invest [b']vast[/b] amounts of time in this one gameworld - that's no slight on you as a manager, it's just that (as you've learned) everyone is paranoid about selling youth in case they become the next Messi and will seldom sell anyone rated over 87 for cash.

Success with a team like Deportivo ultimately then becomes a tedious exercise in trawling through the unmanaged teams looking to scavenge the odd 86 or obscure under-21 player.

For a tough challenge that might actually be fun too you should take over Dundee United or Hearts in the SPL as raising them to an average of 87/88 (they've both got masses of cash) would mean you'd be at a level to compete with Celtic, Drogheda, Linfield, Rangers and myself for the title and should be able to get into Europe/ win the occasional Cup/ Shield far more often.

Plus you'd maybe (just maybe!) be able to get the odd flukey win over me..! :P;)

Cheers for the reply mate.

Well I was making headway at Deportivo and had over £220m to spend but I wasnt enjoying it so have done exactly as recommended and taken Dundee United.

Now to get busy and make my scottish stamp on the GC!

Cheers Machine - as always a level head

Sooooo.....

I'm already thinking there's little point in taking a non established (i.e. side with a decent roster of players) side in here' date=' which is exactly what I have done. That said I have improved the side quite dramatically (starting 11 from 86 to 88) and brought Raul Merieles in.

Will think my next move through carefully.[/quote']

To be fair, that sounds like most GC's.

Should be a much better challenge with Dundee, good luck with them.

Cash isn't totally useless though, every so often someone with low rep joins as a decent team and most will take a good cash offer.

This South American thing i'm doing is hard! Nearly every South American ive enquired about aren't for sale. Sent out about 200 messages (no exaggeration) the past three weeks about players, deals and whatsoever. Hopefully get something done in the coming days.

Oh and Jozef Zubrik is the most ignorant people on this game. Oh and HV Liong. :rolleyes:

This South American thing i'm doing is hard! Nearly every South American ive enquired about aren't for sale. Sent out about 200 messages (no exaggeration) the past three weeks about players' date=' deals and whatsoever. [i']Hopefully[/i] get something done in the coming days.

Oh and Jozef Zubrik is the most ignorant people on this game.

I'll gladly help - one small problem though - I have just one south American = Barros Scheletto and he's 38! Your welcome to him all the same.

Exeter City Season Review

SMFA Shield

1st Round, 1st Leg: Exeter 1-2 Internazionale

1st Round, 2nd Leg: Internazionale 2-0 Exeter

Internazionale win 4 - 1 on aggregate.

It was always going to be difficult for Exeter to progress in their first season in Europe, and so it proved as Inter moved into the next round. The Italian side played a near full strength team in the 1st Leg, with the likes of Lloris, Lahm, Muller, Aguero, Pedro and Robben included in the side. Pedro scored the opener after 29 minutes but the home side went in level at half-time thanks to Eden Hazard's penalty. It looked as though the teams would head to the Giuseppe Meazza at 1-1, but Pedro got his and Inter's second with just 6 minutes left.

The 2nd leg saw Cristiano Ronaldo brought into the Inter team to make sure of the aggregate win, and although he didn't score, his team did twice through Muller and Cordoba. Muller also hit the post and bar and in the end, Inter held on for a comfortable win.

English Shield

1st Round: Bye

2nd Round: Exeter 3-0 Brighton & Hove Albion

3rd Round: Manchester United 1-0 Exeter

Despite dominating the game against Brighton, it needed two 2nd half penalties from Marcel Risse to see off the Division 3 side. Onyekachi Apam got the opening goal.

In the 3rd round, both teams played reserve teams and despite having the majority of possession, Exeter failed to create many chances. Dimitar Berbatov scored the only goal in the 12 minute, and whilst Paul Scholes was sent off after 44 minutes, the away team couldn't take advantage.

English Cup

1st Round: Bye

2nd Round: Exeter 3-2 Arsenal

3rd Round: Exeter 1-3 Millwall

One of the targets for the season was to do well in the Cup, and so Exeter played their strongest available side for the Arsenal game. Jonathan de Guzman gave the home team the lead, only for Martin Demichelis to equalise soon after. Marcel Schmelzer and Charles N'Zogbia gave Exeter a 3-1 lead at half-time, and although Jorge Ivan Estrada made it 3-2 after 84 minutes Arsenal couldn't find another goal to take it to penalties.

The 3rd round came after important league games against Arsenal and Liverpool, so it was a weakened side that was beaten by Millwall which meant a disappointing exit from the competition.

League

A finish of 6th place saw a good improvement on the previous year's 11th, and the club ended up just 4 points off the Top 4. Wins over teams such as Arsenal, Liverpool and both Manchester United and City have shown that Exeter can compete at the top, but also heavy defeats at home to Chelsea, United and Middlesbrough make it clear that being consistent is the key to an improved finish next year. However, with the club struggling at the bottom at the end of April, a month in which just 5 points were taken from a possible 24, finishing in 6th was a good result.

Transfers

Another busy season, with a total of 43 players joining the club, and 39 leaving. It was probably the most successful so far for improving the team, with the likes of Ricardo Carvalho, Nigel Reo-Coker, Charles N'Zogbia, John Terry, Ignazio Abate, Jan Vertonghen, Jeronimo Cacau and Eduardo Da Silva all arriving. The youth squad was also improved, especially the strikers with the signings of Harry Kane, Omar Salgado and Souleymane Coulibaly.

Abate was also one of those who left, along with others such as Youssef El-Arabi, Emile Heskey, Giorgos Karagounis, David N'Gog, Andre Santos, Marcel Schmelzer, Azevedo Silvio and Sergey Parshivlyuk.

Player Awards

Most appearances - Cedric Carrasso and Onyekachi Apam (38)

Top goalscorer - Daniel Sturridge (12)

Most assists - Pierre-Alain Frau (14)

Most MoM awards - Daniel Sturridge and Jonathan De Guzman (5)

Player of the season - Pierre-Alain Frau - 10 goals, 14 assists, 3 MoM and rating of 7.81

3886_1286632473.jpg

Most yellow cards - Ricardo Carvalho (7)

Most red cards - Nigel Reo-Coker and Roger Johnson (1)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Another new signing for Exeter...

3941_1314159368.jpg

Patrice Evra joins from Manchester United with Jan Vertonghen and Moussa Sow moving the other way. Didn't really want to lose Vertonghen with him able to play anywhere in the defence but Sow has never scored enough so happy with it.

Could still do with improving the RB position as I'm having to use Baysse (87).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking to sign more 90+ players in any position except LB, CB and GK. Age isn't a problem.

Can offer any of these;

Oleksandr Rybka - only rated 85 but starting keeper for Shakhtar

Angel Dealbert

Paul Baysse

Leonel Galeano

Jakub Blaszczykowski

Nigel Reo-Coker

Scott Brown

Jonathan De Guzman

Charles N'Zogbia

Jeronimo Cacau

Eduardo da Silva

+ anyone in the youth squad except for Dawson, McEachran, Oscar and Kane.

Would also consider offers for John Terry :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally signed a decent CM, with Scott Parker joining for £10.5 million. Could have had him for chairman's value but typically nobody else made an offer so I ended up paying an extra £4m for no reason :P

Also set to sign Liverpool CB Andre Wisdom for £233k, just proves that the new player list isn't the problem but instead people posting on here that whoever has been added :rolleyes:

Sold Scott Brown and Angel Dealbert for a combined fee of just over £27 million, can't get rid of them in p/e so might as well take the cash and wait for more concerns, even if they do end up going for ridiculous prices :o

• 1 month later...

My chairman is an idiot. :) Why bother selling a load of squad players to raise cash if he then only lets me bid pathetic amounts :/

And unsurprisingly Wilshere and Walker end up going for a whole lot more.

I understand why the top clubs are limited so it gives smaller ones a chance, but even some of them can outbid me when he'd be 4th/5th choice there and I only have Parker who is the same rating. :confused:

Bids accepted on Walker, Wilshere, Villagra and Santander...........non of which will be heading to Mexico. That means i still have £100M to spend......

However! despite my lack of money spending i have managed one deal this week, Heiko Westermann has completed his move to Chelsea from Club América in a swap deal for Lewis Holtby and Zoran Tosic. Still have several players from my inherited squad that are allowed to leave, Downing, Friedal, Mandzukic, Bobo, Polak and many more.

Oh for god sake.

For the second time this season Club América drop out of a semi final on penalties to an un-managed side. Dreams of a treble were tonight squandered but still a possibility that we can do the double.

Already won the title and face a tough test against Steaua in the Second leg of our Semi Final in the SMFA Champions Cup on Sunday, currently lead 2-1 from the first leg.

Still looking for deals, asking around but having no responses. Plenty of players rated 87/88/89 that can go, looking to offer 2-4-1 and cash for players 89+

Exeter finish 8th which is disappointing tbh, only took 6 points from the last 7 games although a 5 goal win against Birmingham would have seen us finish 5th.

Some transfer news finally today as Patrice Evra moves to Benfica just 3 months after signing. Lucho Gonzalez and Lisandro Lopez join in exchange. Leaves me weak in defence unless we go back to using 3 CB's, but there's pre-season to decide about that. Expecting Evra to drop and hopefully Lisandro can be the striker capable of 20+ goals that we need.

Exeter City Season Review

SMFA Shield:

Round 1, 1st leg - Exeter 2-1 Drogheda United

Round 1, 2nd leg - Drogheda United 0-0 Exeter (Exeter City win 2 - 1 on aggregate.)

Round 2, 1st leg - Exeter 2-1 Dynamo Moskva

Round 2, 2nd leg - Dynamo Moskva 1-3 Exeter (Exeter City win 5 - 2 on aggregate.)

Round 3, 1st leg - Exeter 0-1 Espanyol

Round 3, 2nd leg - Espanyol 0-0 Exeter (Espanyol win 1 - 0 on aggregate.)

English Shield:

Round 1 - Bye

Round 2 - Exeter 3-1 Cheltenham Town

Round 3 - Charlton Athletic 0-0 Exeter (Charlton win 4-2 on penalties)

English Cup:

Round 1 - Bye

Round 2 - The New Saints 1-1 Exeter (Exeter win 4-1 on penalties)

Round 3 - Exeter 2-1 Preston North End

Round 4 - Exeter 4-1 Bolton

Quarter-Final - Exeter 0-0 Leeds United (Leeds win 5-3 on penalties)

1st Division:

8th

Player Awards:

Player of the season - Eduardo da Silva

Young Player of the season - Fabio da Silva

Top Goalscorer - Daniel Sturridge (10)

Most Assists - Eden Hazard & Eduardo da Silva (9)

Most bookings - Daniel Sturridge (4Y & 1R)

Flop of the season - Ricardo Carvalho

Overall:

A decent season once again for Exeter but there will be disappointment that the season ended poorly with the club slipping to 8th when closing in on the top 4. The QF defeat to Leeds on penalties was also a low point as was the SMFA Shield exit to Espanyol.

However, on the transfer side of things, a gradual improvement has continued with both the ayouth and main squads. Some of England's finest talents such as Mason Bennett, Jordan Ibe, Max Clayton, Andre Wisdom and Jack Butland have all signed, as have others such as Elliott Hewitt, Kerim Frei, Karim Rekik and Dennis Praet.

The first team however saw the arrival of Patrice Evra from Manchester United in early September, a high price of Jan Vertonghen & Moussa Sow was paid but with the striker's struggle for goals and Evra's obvious class, the move was a successful one.

There were to be no more 'big' name signings until November when Scott Parker and Aleksey Berezutsky both joined. Parker cost £10.5 million from Werder Bremen but his performances so far have gone some way to proving that to be a bargain. Berezutsky meanwhile, made the move from CSKA Moscow for £7.5 million and has so far been used at right-back. The 29 year old can play anywhere across the defence and will hope to fully settle into English football during pre-season.

Moving away were a number of youth players sold on for profit, before the club took the decision to sell some of the squad players for a number of reasons including cutting down the wage bill and to free up funds for more new signings. Defenders Angel Dealbert and Onyekachi Apam both moved on, as did central midfielders Scott Brown and Nigel Reo-Coker, with a combined total of £52 million raised from their sales.

However, a shock move on the final day of the season looks set to be the biggest of the season as it was announced that Evra would be playing his last game for the club that night. He completed a move to Benfica the next day with the Argentinian duo of Lucho Gonzalez and Lisandro Lopez both joining Exeter. Whilst the departure of Evra may leave the team weaker at the back, Gonzalez should be able to work well alongside Scott Parker, whilst Lopez will be looked at as the man to finally deliver a 20+ season.

• 4 weeks later...

This team is so frustrating, somehow managed to lose 3-2 on aggregate to a poor unmanaged AIK. Had to play reserves in both legs but still should be winning comfortably.

Still looking for a 90+ LB or CB. Fabio, Blaszczykowski, De Guzman, Alejandro Gomez, El Ghanassy, Marcel Risse, N'Zogbia, Cacau, Eduardo can all be used in exchange.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been at Udinese for a couple of months now. Season 10 was coming to an end just as my time at the club began. The Italian Cup was secured along with a 6th place finish in the league. Season 11 started with a Charity Shield Final match against Sampdoria which we won 3-2.

The league campaign has started reasonably well. We currently hold 5th position but we are already quite some way from league leaders Fiorentina after their incredible start. Our ambitions for the season are to push for a place in the SMFA Cup.

A good run in the SMFA Shield would also be nice. We beat Sparta Praha 3-1 on aggregate in the 1st round. We currently lead West Ham 3-1 on aggregate after the 1st leg of the 2nd round and we’ll be hoping for a strong performance at the Friuli in the 2nd leg.

We strengthened a couple of positions in the first team squad at the start of the season. Danny Simpson was signed from Dynamo Moskva for £11.4M to provide cover at right back and Kevin Anin was signed from Sochaux for £10.9M to provide cover at central midfield.

Promising youngsters Patrick Bamford and Will Keane were also signed as welcome additions to the youth squad.