thorgan lesar

Belgian football (Season '19-'20) + 22 other countries (for example The Netherlands)

58 minutes ago, TMCosta said:

I know its pratically a done deal but i was expecting Godin to be number 1. Huge upgrade to Inter defense but not needed for me...Skriniar and De Vrij are good enough.

I agree, Inter has already a great defense, but I can't see a "number 1" but three.. I think all will be considered at the same level, Spalletti uses turn over and all will be considered starters. I told Godin as "third", inaccurately, only for his age ;)

6 minutes ago, 1000dB said:

@zsp2 both Skriniar and De Vrij are definitely staying, not a chance one of them leaves this summer?

I would be surprised if Inter sell one of them, they have been clear: Godin enter in the team for Miranda. 

Individual rapport Georgi Chakvetadze

chakvetadze-verkozen-tot-georgisch-voetb

Position: AM(RLC)

Nationality: Georgia

Team: KAA Gent

SM Value: 2.4M

SM Rates: 80

Minutes: 1691 minutes (70 % in total till now)

The 19-year-old Georgian is one of the revelations of the beginning of this season. At the moment he has been out for a while due to injury, but in his playing time this season he showed that he has a lot of quality. Personally, I think that Chakvetadze has not yet fully broken through at KAA Gent. Although there are already some teams that already showed interest, such as Bayern Munich. He will have to prove himself for a while and develop something more before leaving Belgium. I still estimate that he must certainly stay at least 1.5 years in Belgium. It will take some time before he completely breaks through.

Chakvetadze is a player with creativity with many technical qualities. He can play well in short spaces on the field, but he is now struggling because of his injury, but I expect that he will break under the Danish coach Jesse Thorup.

KAA Gent is experiencing a difficult season. KAA Gent is normally a team that floats between No. 4 and No. 6. At this moment they are 7th. Jesse Thorup arrived in Belgium in October 2018. The team has improved well under Thorup, but the squad of KAA Gent is not good enough to compete with the top 4 in Belgium this year. Chakvetadze has not yet fully broken through. Although he does have an influence on the performance of the team.

The Georgian has quite some potential to make it in the football world. The question now is how he will react after this injury. These are crucial months for him and his career. Georgia's national team is not known as a team with many qualities, but it is nevertheless noteworthy that he already has an important influence at this young age.

As I earlier said, these months are crucial. If he goes through this, I see him getting pretty far and that is why I also wanted to make a rapport about this player.

1 hour ago, 1000dB said:

@zsp2 both Skriniar and De Vrij are definitely staying, not a chance one of them leaves this summer?

1 hour ago, zsp2 said:

I would be surprised if Inter sell one of them, they have been clear: Godin enter in the team for Miranda. 

Forget it...of course Skriniar will leave  LOL

Individual rapport Jonathan David

763?appId=2dc96dd3f167e919913d808324cbfe

Position: AM(RLC), A(RLC)

Nationality: Canada

Team: KAA Gent

SM Value: 340K

SM Rates: 73

Minutes: 1081 minutes (45 % in total till now)

Will there soon be a young Canadian football talent that will break through in Europe ? We can not say that right now, but it looks promising. David started the season very well. He scored a lot. Logically he knew a dip afterwards and he was often on the bench. The last few weeks he is growing week by week as an attacking midfielder at KAA Gent. Jesse Thorup - the coach of KAA Gent - is the ideal coach for him to develop further in this function of the team. He need to become more decisive as an attacking midfielder, but he is still young and has time to grow in this function. I would not really recommend Jonathan David to leave KAA Gent this year and even next year. That is too early.

Jonathan David still is a player with a torinstinct and with a nice playing style. David is a technically engineered player with depth in his game. David is quite an intelligent player for such a young player. He can also be played at different positions. He started the season as central attacker and now as an attacking midfielder. He also has the qualities to play on the wing-position, but for that he has to grow more tactically. I notice that he gets a lot of trust under Jesse Thorup. He will not yet have a big influence, but if he develops further like this, Jonathan David can become an important player for his national team of Canada.

In the report from Georgi Chakvetadze I already mentioned the slightly more difficult season of KAA Gent. It will be exciting weeks for the team to reach the Play-Off 1 in Belgium. KAA Gent still has to go to Zulte Waregem, home against KV Oostende and to the Belgian revelation STVV. These are not difficult games on paper, but they have to pay attention. One lose can mean Play-Off 2.

The Canadian also has the potential to make it in the football world. Although it is also a long-term vision with David. The most important thing is to see how far he can grow tactically as an attacking midfielder. The big breakthrough will take some time eventually.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, TMCosta said:

Time to sell?

This is a post from in 2018 :)

It's about Dimata and Benson. Dimata doesn't play last weeks. He is injured right now...

Benson comes from really far, but he is developping to be decisive in the Jupiler Pro League. 

3 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

You can't believe how important it is to just have Jonathan David in Belgium. The Canadian market is becoming more interesting. Hopefully we can make name in Canada with him. 

It's not. Jonathan David won't help Gent, or Belgium, to a slice of the Canadian market. OTOH if, for example, Alphonso Davies made a name for himself at Bayern they could get a piece, or more likely, a sliver of the pie (but it doesn't sound like he'll make a big impact soon). Unlike Belgian clubs, Bayern has enough clout to draw audiences from abroad. Once Jonathan David leaves Gent the few Canadians that actually followed his development won't stick around.

How many fans watch Pro League games? I'd say a fair amount. They're almost exclusively domestic though (and probably a handful of Belgians abroad). It's the same for most countries, even one as big as Germany largely depends on their domestic market, only a fraction of the viewership isn't from the home country. When the Germans struggle in the fight for eyeballs, e.g. they didn't even attract many viewers from outside Germany when broadcasting BuLi games for free, then please lower your expectations for Belgium. Not a single Belgian club comes anywhere close to the clout of Bayern, let alone the omnipresence of the PL.

Maybe you can change my mind but last I heard the Pro League wasn't selling like hot cakes abroad. Is there new data that shows large viewership numbers abroad or suggests much growth outside of Belgium's borders? More importantly, what's the forecast for Belgium's domestic market? I keep hearing about smaller leagues losing viewers and I doubt the Pro League is doing all they can to counter this trend, instead taking the domestic fanbase for granted. Seeing the Pro League's "vision" largely ignores local fans, the ones with a genuine connection to the club rooted in their community, it wouldn't be a surprise if we start noticing the same trend in Belgium.

FYI I watch streams, no TV, can only watch Pro League games in the pub. Merely anecdotal but there I overheard an older couple complain to their friends/family about Belgian clubs and that they'd rather watch big clubs, the best quality of play. When even older people prefer... and younger ones have a hard time finding a quality stream... that can't be good.

6 hours ago, 1000dB said:

It's not. Jonathan David won't help Gent, or Belgium, to a slice of the Canadian market. OTOH if, for example, Alphonso Davies made a name for himself at Bayern they could get a piece, or more likely, a sliver of the pie (but it doesn't sound like he'll make a big impact soon). Unlike Belgian clubs, Bayern has enough clout to draw audiences from abroad. Once Jonathan David leaves Gent the few Canadians that actually followed his development won't stick around.

How many fans watch Pro League games? I'd say a fair amount. They're almost exclusively domestic though (and probably a handful of Belgians abroad). It's the same for most countries, even one as big as Germany largely depends on their domestic market, only a fraction of the viewership isn't from the home country. When the Germans struggle in the fight for eyeballs, e.g. they didn't even attract many viewers from outside Germany when broadcasting BuLi games for free, then please lower your expectations for Belgium. Not a single Belgian club comes anywhere close to the clout of Bayern, let alone the omnipresence of the PL.

Maybe you can change my mind but last I heard the Pro League wasn't selling like hot cakes abroad. Is there new data that shows large viewership numbers abroad or suggests much growth outside of Belgium's borders? More importantly, what's the forecast for Belgium's domestic market? I keep hearing about smaller leagues losing viewers and I doubt the Pro League is doing all they can to counter this trend, instead taking the domestic fanbase for granted. Seeing the Pro League's "vision" largely ignores local fans, the ones with a genuine connection to the club rooted in their community, it wouldn't be a surprise if we start noticing the same trend in Belgium.

FYI I watch streams, no TV, can only watch Pro League games in the pub. Merely anecdotal but there I overheard an older couple complain to their friends/family about Belgian clubs and that they'd rather watch big clubs, the best quality of play. When even older people prefer... and younger ones have a hard time finding a quality stream... that can't be good.

That's all possible, but what I know he played at the end (september) for Canada. He is playing for the national team since previous year and he made 3 goals in 3 games. So the real football fans of Canada will now KAA Gent a little bit and it seems like he will stay minimum 2 years...

Yeah, then you make name a bit. 

Btw, heard of Simon Colyn (Vancouver Whitecaps), Ballou Tabla (FC Barcelona), Julian Dunn (Toronto) and of course Alphonso Davies who is indeed the better one ?

Canada's football is little bit growing with these 5 players. 

9 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

This is a post from in 2018 :)

It's about Dimata and Benson. Dimata doesn't play last weeks. He is injured right now...

Benson comes from really far, but he is developping to be decisive in the Jupiler Pro League. 

So? Sell Dimata? hehehe

A quick search reveals that the Pro League doesn't even have a crumb of the Canadian market. If you like to talk about Canadian talents instead of the Pro League's (lack of a) share of the Canadian market, that's a whole other discussion.

23 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

You can't believe how important it is to just have Jonathan David in Belgium. The Canadian market is becoming more interesting. Hopefully we can make name in Canada with him. 

I believe you're overstating his importance. The Pro League has no foothold in the Canadian market, i.e. there are zero viewers from Canada. Is the Pro League even looking to break the Canadian market? They won't and there's hardly any interest from other (foreign) markets either. With the collapse of MP&Silva, who bit off more than they could chew when trying to sell the Pro League's rights in international markets, the prospects don't look good. They struggled to fulfil payments elsewhere and probably the Pro League suffered too (the rights in international markets were dumped already). Still, thanks to the deal with Japan's Sky PerfecTV there's now one country in Asia paying for the rights and even though it won't be much Japan is an alluring market, much bigger than Canada.

Belgium's domestic market, mainly the gate + TV deal, can't grow much yet international markets aren't exactly lining up to throw money at the Pro League. The popularity of the Red Devils has helped a bit but if you don't focus on developing Belgian talents this won't last long. Currently they don't get nearly as many minutes as in neighbouring countries and about 62% of Pro League players aren't from Belgium, very few countries treat their own talents worse than Belgium does. The Pro League using KDB, Courtois, Witsel, et al. to market themselves abroad is laughable when contrasted to the chances Belgian talents actually get.

For growth Belgian clubs will have to look to the European competitions. CL and EL keep generating more revenue and soon a third competition will be added. Another opportunity for growth is to join forces with other leagues. On its own the Pro League won't draw much attention from abroad (neither do the bulk of the leagues in Europe). The long-mooted BeNe League would at the very least help increase revenue from the (larger) domestic market, especially as Holland completely outperforms Belgium when it comes to sponsoring and commercial revenue. To attract a share of the international audiences you probably need to go down the Atlantic League path to compete with the bigger leagues but it seems it's too late anyway, the gap has become unbridgeable. For now it's best to focus on doing well in Europe. Yet it would be prudent to start preparing for the future, procure decent research on the BeNe League for example.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, 1000dB said:

A quick search reveals that the Pro League doesn't even have a crumb of the Canadian market. If you like to talk about Canadian talents instead of the Pro League's (lack of a) share of the Canadian market, that's a whole other discussion.

I believe you're overstating his importance. The Pro League has no foothold in the Canadian market, i.e. there are zero viewers from Canada. Is the Pro League even looking to break the Canadian market? They won't and there's hardly any interest from other (foreign) markets either. With the collapse of MP&Silva, who bit off more than they could chew when trying to sell the Pro League's rights in international markets, the prospects don't look good. They struggled to fulfil payments elsewhere and probably the Pro League suffered too (the rights in international markets were dumped already). Still, thanks to the deal with Japan's Sky PerfecTV there's now one country in Asia paying for the rights and even though it won't be much Japan is an alluring market, much bigger than Canada.

Belgium's domestic market, mainly the gate + TV deal, can't grow much yet international markets aren't exactly lining up to throw money at the Pro League. The popularity of the Red Devils has helped a bit but if you don't focus on developing Belgian talents this won't last long. Currently they don't get nearly as many minutes as in neighbouring countries and about 62% of Pro League players aren't from Belgium, very few countries treat their own talents worse than Belgium does. The Pro League using KDB, Courtois, Witsel, et al. to market themselves abroad is laughable when contrasted to the chances Belgian talents actually get.

For growth Belgian clubs will have to look to the European competitions. CL and EL keep generating more revenue and soon a third competition will be added. Another opportunity for growth is to join forces with other leagues. On its own the Pro League won't draw much attention from abroad (neither do the bulk of the leagues in Europe). The long-mooted BeNe League would at the very least help increase revenue from the (larger) domestic market, especially as Holland completely outperforms Belgium when it comes to sponsoring and commercial revenue. To attract a share of the international audiences you probably need to go down the Atlantic League path to compete with the bigger leagues but it seems it's too late anyway, the gap has become unbridgeable. For now it's best to focus on doing well in Europe. Yet it would be prudent to start preparing for the future, procure decent research on the BeNe League for example.

Not a fan of the BeNe League here...

There are still 2 weeks to go in the Belgian competition. 

The ones in bold are sure of their place in Play-Off 1.

Play-Off 1

1. KRC Genk 59 points

2. Club Brugge KV 53 points

3. Royal Antwerp FC 49 points

4. Standard De Liège 47 points

5. STVV 46 points

6. RSC Anderlecht 45 points

7. KAA Gent 44 points

Standard De Liège, STVV, RSC Anderlecht and KAA Gent are still in the run for Play-Off 1. One team will not be in Play-Off 1, who will it be ? :) 

8. KV Kortrijk 40 points

9. Charleroi SC 39 points

10. Excel Moeskroen 36 points

11. Zulte Waregem 31 points

12. KAS Eupen 29 points

13. Cercle Brugge 28 points

14. KV Oostende 27 points

15. Waasland-Beveren 26 points

16. Lokeren OSV 17 points

Following days we will know normally if KV Mechelen and Waasland-Beveren are going to a lower level or not, but for now Lokeren OSV is going to the second division in Belgium. 

@1000dB

8 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

Not a fan of the BeNe League here...

Why not?

How about a cup competition instead, a BeNe Cup or an Atlantic Cup?

8 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

There are still 2 weeks to go in the Belgian competition...

@1000dB

Once points are halved the title race can begin in earnest. How do you feel about the "play-offs". I hear another reform has to be pushed through asap (because the new TV deal needs to be struck).

In the Proximus League the race has been extremely tight. The last matchday of regular season was a rollercoaster. It's now between Beerschot and KV Mechelen. Wouldn't mind Beerschot being crowned champions and gaining promotion. In the relegation "play-offs" Roeselare (17 points), Lommel (16), OH Leuven (15) and Tubize (12) face off. I hope OHL stay up.

56 minutes ago, 1000dB said:

Why not?

How about a cup competition instead, a BeNe Cup or an Atlantic Cup?

Once points are halved the title race can begin in earnest. How do you feel about the "play-offs". I hear another reform has to be pushed through asap (because the new TV deal needs to be struck).

In the Proximus League the race has been extremely tight. The last matchday of regular season was a rollercoaster. It's now between Beerschot and KV Mechelen. Wouldn't mind Beerschot being crowned champions and gaining promotion. In the relegation "play-offs" Roeselare (17 points), Lommel (16), OH Leuven (15) and Tubize (12) face off. I hope OHL stay up.

Maybe an Atlantic Cup actually. How do you see this Atlantic Cup ?

33 minutes ago, thorgan lesar said:

Maybe an Atlantic Cup actually. How do you see this Atlantic Cup ?

Same countries as the Atlantic League, but obviously no league format, and an access list similar to UEFA's. Quite a few countries have a second cup competition (the last time Belgium had a League Cup was in 2000 though). The aim would be to generate more revenue for the clubs that compete in this second cup competition, to help them hold onto their best talents for longer, to be more competitive, ... (similar benefits to the Atlantic or BeNe League ideas but scaled down as it's just a cup).

UEFA have been a proponent of cross-border competitions for quite some time now (as long as it's smaller countries joining forces; they were against a Soviet League, for example, but very much in favour of the BeNe League). According to UEFA smaller leagues will struggle in the coming decades or cease to exist all together. E.g. Romania acting like a canary in the coal mine (others have it even worse, leagues with a smaller TV deal or no TV money at all):

5GT66Zz.gif

5 minutes ago, 1000dB said:

Same countries as the Atlantic League, but obviously no league format, and an access list similar to UEFA's. Quite a few countries have a second cup competition (the last time Belgium had a League Cup was in 2000 though). The aim would be to generate more revenue for the clubs that compete in this second cup competition, to help them hold onto their best talents for longer, to be more competitive, ... (similar benefits to the Atlantic or BeNe League ideas but scaled down as it's just a cup).

UEFA have been a proponent of cross-border competitions for quite some time now (as long as it's smaller countries joining forces; they were against a Soviet League, for example, but very much in favour of the BeNe League). According to UEFA smaller leagues will struggle in the coming decades or cease to exist all together. E.g. Romania acting like a canary in the coal mine (others have it even worse, leagues with a smaller TV deal or no TV money at all):

5GT66Zz.gif

But how do you know which team plays in this Atlantic Cup ?

Are this the champions of previous season or .. ?

With a little bit of research I saw that for example an Albanian team played in 2013, but not in the other editions. Why is that ?

2 minutes ago, thorgan lesar said:

But how do you know which team plays in this Atlantic Cup ?

Are this the champions of previous season or .. ?

=> "access list similar to UEFA's"

2 minutes ago, thorgan lesar said:

With a little bit of research I saw that for example an Albanian team played in 2013, but not in the other editions. Why is that ?

Do you mean in that training camp Atlantic Cup? That's something different.