Belgian football (Season '19-'20) + 22 other countries (for example The Netherlands)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Belgian risers --> this link: Risers in Belgium

Not realy. Portugal is very capable of doing something like that

Individual rapport Yari Verschaeren   Age: 17 Position: AM(RLC) Nationality: Belgium Team: RSC Anderlecht SM Value: 280K SM Rates: 70 Minutes: 526 minutes

Posted Images

Simply put, it's the Atlantic League proposal in cup form. The same countries but you wouldn't go as far as a league. A cup competition isn't that demanding, compared to a league, and neither is it that hard to come up with a fair allocation of spots. I'd draw inspiration from UEFA's access list but hey-ho if you only want the champions in it call it the Atlantic Champions League (or is the name "European Cup" available?). Actually it wouldn't be the worst idea to only include champions, if only for nostalgia.

Sounds like a better second cup competition than any sort of "league cup" those countries could organize on their own. Mind you I'm still a proponent of a cross-border league. The BeNe League, for example, would have a much bigger impact on boosting Belgian and Dutch football, no other measure comes even close. The BeNe League has its opponents but usually they're more comfortable with a BeNe Cup. If Holland and Belgium can't join forces in a league I'd settle for a cup, either a BeNe Cup or an Atlantic one (preferably the latter).

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, 1000dB said:

A quick search reveals that the Pro League doesn't even have a crumb of the Canadian market. If you like to talk about Canadian talents instead of the Pro League's (lack of a) share of the Canadian market, that's a whole other discussion.

I believe you're overstating his importance. The Pro League has no foothold in the Canadian market, i.e. there are zero viewers from Canada. Is the Pro League even looking to break the Canadian market? They won't and there's hardly any interest from other (foreign) markets either. With the collapse of MP&Silva, who bit off more than they could chew when trying to sell the Pro League's rights in international markets, the prospects don't look good. They struggled to fulfil payments elsewhere and probably the Pro League suffered too (the rights in international markets were dumped already). Still, thanks to the deal with Japan's Sky PerfecTV there's now one country in Asia paying for the rights and even though it won't be much Japan is an alluring market, much bigger than Canada.

Belgium's domestic market, mainly the gate + TV deal, can't grow much yet international markets aren't exactly lining up to throw money at the Pro League. The popularity of the Red Devils has helped a bit but if you don't focus on developing Belgian talents this won't last long. Currently they don't get nearly as many minutes as in neighbouring countries and about 62% of Pro League players aren't from Belgium, very few countries treat their own talents worse than Belgium does. The Pro League using KDB, Courtois, Witsel, et al. to market themselves abroad is laughable when contrasted to the chances Belgian talents actually get.

For growth Belgian clubs will have to look to the European competitions. CL and EL keep generating more revenue and soon a third competition will be added. Another opportunity for growth is to join forces with other leagues. On its own the Pro League won't draw much attention from abroad (neither do the bulk of the leagues in Europe). The long-mooted BeNe League would at the very least help increase revenue from the (larger) domestic market, especially as Holland completely outperforms Belgium when it comes to sponsoring and commercial revenue. To attract a share of the international audiences you probably need to go down the Atlantic League path to compete with the bigger leagues but it seems it's too late anyway, the gap has become unbridgeable. For now it's best to focus on doing well in Europe. Yet it would be prudent to start preparing for the future, procure decent research on the BeNe League for example.

Some article to read:

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/390481/exclusief-hoe-de-band-tussen-krc-genk-en-canada-steeds-inniger-werd

Fair enough, you feel strongly about Canada. I don't. Simply not that bothered about having one Canadian, or more, in the Pro League as opposed to: "Well, it’s probably now or never for the Belgian Golden Generation. Only 6,6% of playing time for youth products in the Belgian league - shameful." ... So it's an agree to disagree sort of thing.

IMHO flipping mediocre legionnaires for a small profit, to the detriment of local talents, is NOT a vision. Suffice to say, I'm very much against. Instead of scouring football backwaters, Belgian clubs should be encouraged to put their trust in locally trained youth. Time will tell if they made the right choice taking the easy road, to fall into the trap of recklessly importing legionnaires and selling their souls to the markets. This process is at the heart of the deterioration of competitive balance in Europe. And it's a stain on the Pro League clubs that keep facilitating it.

4 hours ago, 1000dB said:

KV Mechelen is a good addition (for sporting reasons). When they were relegated Beerschot already knew they'd face stiff opposition. Based on the players in the national team with a Beerschot past I wouldn't have minded them going up but Mechelen isn't bad either. Let's first see what happens with the matchfixing case.

I personally wanted Beerschot-Wilrijk in first division in Belgium, but indeed let's see what happens.

Both are good additions for the first division with their qualities. Union SG is also a good team, but they can't manage to hold their level long enough

Last regular gameday in Belgium before the Play-Offs

Standard Luik - Waasland-Beveren 4-3 (0-1 Milosevic, 0-2 and 0-3, 1-3 Bokadi, 2-3 Djenepo and 3-3, 4-3 Orlando Sà)

Charleroi SC - KAS Eupen 1-2 (0-1 Castro-Montes, 1-1 Osimhen, 1-2 Msakni)

Club Brugge - Excel Moeskroen 1-2 (0-1 Amallah, 1-1 Schrijvers, 1-2 Antonov)

Zulte Waregem - KRC Genk 3-3 (1-0 Harbaoui, 1-1 Malinovskiy, 1-2 Ito, 1-3 Trossard, 2-3 Walsh, 3-3 Harbaoui)

STVV - KAA Gent 0-2 (0-1 Yaremchuk and 0-2)

KV Oostende - RSC Anderlecht 0-2 (0-1 Bolasie, 0-2 Santini)

KV Kortrijk - Royal Antwerp 2-0 (1-0 J.De Sart, 2-0 Avenatti)

Lokeren OSV - Cercle Brugge 3-1 (1-0 Benchaib, 2-0 Cevallos, 3-0 Skulason, 3-1 Gakpé)

29 goals, not bad..

Lokeren OSV finish 16th, but end in style with a nice win. 

Standard Luik with a comeback and a win.

Zulte Waregem with a comeback and equals.

Club Brugge loses to the best team of 2019 (Excel Moeskroen) for the moment.

KAA Gent wins and plays Play-Off 1. 

Some nice games.

@1000dB

Like 1000db already give. 

This is the classement after 30 gamedays:

1.    KRC Genk                              63

2.    Club Brugge KV                    56

3.    Standard Luik                       53

4.   RSC Anderlecht                     51

5.    KAA Gent                              50

6.    Royal Antwerp                      49

7.    STVV                                     47

8.    KV Kortrijk                            43

9.    Charleroi SC                         42

10.  Excel Moeskroen                40

11. Zulte Waregem                     33

12. KAS Eupen                            32

13. Cercle Brugge                      28

14. KV Oostende                        27

15. Waasland-Beveren             27

16. Lokeren OSV                       20

Cercle Brugge and KV Oostende needs to clean their squad in the summer if they want a good season, because I'm not impressed by them. 

Waasland-Beveren has potential, but they need to wait if they will drop or not 

KAS Eupen will mis Luis Garcia , but I think Youssef Msakni will become an important player next season (if he stays, I hope so). 

Zulte Waregem will lose Theo Bongonda to a better team (hopefully he stays in Belgium this time) and Hamdi Harbaoui is really important. If these two will leave it's a huge loss. 

Will Bernd Storck (coach of Excel Moeskroen) stay or not ? If he stays then Excel Moeskroen can become a revelation next season, but that is too early to say.

PLAY-OFF 2

A

STVV, Charleroi, KAS Eupen, KV Oostende, Beerschot-Wilrijk, KVC Westerlo

B

KV Kortrijk, Excel Moeskroen, Zulte Waregem, Cercle Brugge, Waasland-Beveren, Union SG

It's crazy that Mechelen won't play a competitive game between 16 March and 1 May (had they also won the second round/avoided the promotion play-offs it would have even been 2 months without a competitive game).

Also, I heard a rumour that Mouscron's licence application for 2019/20 will be denied. The FA could just give them a slap on the wrist though. If Mouscron, KV Mechelen and Waasland-Beveren get relegated, I guess Lokeren avoid relegation and Beerschot + Union SG gain promotion. Now the lawyers can take the field.

1 minute ago, 1000dB said:

It's crazy that Mechelen won't play a competitive game between 16 March and 1 May (it would have been 2 months without a competitive game, had they also won the second round/avoided the promotion play-offs).

Also, I heard a rumour that Mouscron's licence application for 2019/20 will be denied. The FA could just give them a slap on the wrist though. If Mouscron, KV Mechelen and Waasland-Beveren get relegated, I guess Lokeren avoid relegation and Beerschot + Union SG gain promotion. Now the lawyers can take the field.

Normally I don't listen to rumours, because they can easy be BS. But if that is true… :D:lol: 

If it's really true, it's pitty for Mouscron.. . Finally they play decent for a change with a nice style.. 

If it's true and this is the result I recommend Lokeren OSV to get Bernd Storck. He can bring football with less quality players. ;) 

And yeah, that's funny that Mechelen won't play for a long time.. . They will play the final of the Belgian Cup, but that's it :D

11 hours ago, 1000dB said:

It's crazy that Mechelen won't play a competitive game between 16 March and 1 May (had they also won the second round/avoided the promotion play-offs it would have even been 2 months without a competitive game).

Go Mechelen! They come back to Jupiter Pro League!

Instead I supported them, after the Uefa Cup Winner's Cup of '88 there's a friendship between Atalanta and KV Mechelen. The hightest point for both the club's history

Really they won't play an official match until the final? Is unfair..

Why does the season finish so early for the second league? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, zsp2 said:

Go Mechelen! They come back to Jupiter Pro League!

Instead I supported them, after the Uefa Cup Winner's Cup of '88 there's a friendship between Atalanta and KV Mechelen. The hightest point for both the club's history

Really they won't play an official match until the final? Is unfair..

Why does the season finish so early for the second league? 

Thanks

Only the champions, Mechelen, have no more league games. The others still have games to play.

Mechelen shouldn't have to wait so long to play the Cup Final. However this year it was moved to Labour Day because the FA wants to attract more viewers.

@zsp2 Who will get into Italy's U21 squad for the EUROs in Italy? I saw quite a few that are eligible for the U21 EUROs, the likes of Donnarumma, Mancini, Barella, Chiesa, Zaniolo, Kean, ..., are getting called up by the senior team. Zaniolo and Kean were brought up in Mancini's presser yesterday, e.g. see the tweet below.

Italy's and Belgium's U21s are in the same group. My expectations for Belgium aren't very high TBH. It would help if Mancini decides that those eligible players stay with the senior squad. IMHO Calabria deserves to join the senior squad too 👍

International break

Martinez went with the usual suspects. Minus injured and (recently) retired players of course. Vermaelen, Boyata and Lukaku did get call-ups but are doubts. Apropos, I read that Boyata is moving to Anderlecht.

With Kompany out and Boyata + Vermaelen being doubts it wouldn't be the worst idea to call up Engels. Could even tell him to bring Foket along as Meunier got injured. Chadli hasn't played much. KDB, Witsel and Dembele are also injured. Really could have used Fellaini with so many senior midfielders missing. O. Mangala has quickly solidified himself as one of Hamburg's most important players this season and would be a decent shout. He's needed in the U21s but with all the injuries and the ECQs, including the one against Russia, being more pressing issues I'd at least consider him for this break. Then again, Vanaken and Praet can provide cover. No more injuries, please.

• Mr Noisy pinned this topic
  • Mr Noisy featured this topic
  • Mr Noisy unpinned, unfeatured and pinned this topic