Jump to content
thorgan lesar

Belgian football (Season '19-'20) + 22 other countries (for example The Netherlands)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 1000dB said:

@zsp2 Who will get into Italy's U21 squad for the EUROs in Italy? I saw quite a few that are eligible for the U21 EUROs, the likes of Donnarumma, Mancini, Barella, Chiesa, Zaniolo, Kean, ..., are getting called up by the senior team. Zaniolo and Kean were brought up in Mancini's presser yesterday, e.g. see the tweet below.

Italy's and Belgium's U21s are in the same group. My expectations for Belgium aren't very high TBH. It would help if Mancini decides that those eligible players stay with the senior squad. IMHO Calabria deserves to join the senior squad too 👍

 

I red something about it few days ago: Italy wanna try to win the trophy, that we miss since 2004, so Di Biagio (U21 coach) should call several players from the senior team:

Mancini, Barella, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Kean, Cutrone.

In the article (if you want I can attach it, but is in italian) they say also Chiesa, obviously I hope, but I' don't think so

Di Biagio shouldn't call Donnarumma, because has already Meret and Audero that have performances good enough.

I agree, Calabria deserves the senior team, I hope Mancini will call him soon.

My hypothetical starters for U21 Euro's cup (4-3-3) or (4-2-3-1):

Meret; Calabria, Mancini, Romagna, Dimarco (Lu. Pellegrini); Barella, Tonali (Mandragora), Lo. Pellegrini; Zaniolo, Kean, Cutrone

All depends from the position of Zaniolo, we saw he could play really well as right wing, as against Porto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zsp2 yea together with Spain you guys are one of the favourites for the title and we already have to face both in the groups.

In Belgium's case it was great to hear Dimata will be fit and is looking forward to Italy2019. There are too many exclusions already, some of which weren't catching the eye anyway. Seeing Belgium's senior squad failed to reach the NL Final 4 I'd rather improve our odds of qualifying for the Olympics and boost morale with the inclusion of Tielemans. Our U21s need all the help they can get but I very much doubt Tielemans will be going.

My best guess for our starting XI, also (4-3-3) or (4-2-3-1):

Jackers; De Norre, Faes, Vanheusden, Cools (Saelemaekers); O.Mangala, Heynen, Schrijvers; Mbenza, Dimata, Lukebakio

In June we have a training camp friendly in and against France. We'll see how the team looks then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1000dB said:

@zsp2 yea together with Spain you guys are one of the favourites for the title and we already have to face both in the groups.

In Belgium's case it was great to hear Dimata will be fit and is looking forward to Italy2019. There are too many exclusions already, some of which weren't catching the eye anyway. Seeing Belgium's senior squad failed to reach the NL Final 4 I'd rather improve our odds of qualifying for the Olympics and boost morale with the inclusion of Tielemans. Our U21s need all the help they can get but I very much doubt Tielemans will be going.

My best guess for our starting XI, also (4-3-3) or (4-2-3-1):

Jackers; De Norre, Faes, Vanheusden, Cools (Saelemaekers); O.Mangala, Heynen, Schrijvers; Mbenza, Dimata, Lukebakio

In June we have a training camp friendly in and against France. We'll see how the team looks then.

I know, Group A is the worst ones, and only the first (and the best second pass). Also Group C is difficult, but less then ours.

Spain, Italy, Germany, France and England could all win, Belgium is a step behind

It depends on the player of senior teams called, if France call some among Pavard, Ndombele, Mbappe, O.Dembele they can easily win.

In any case will be an interesting European U21 championship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 1000dB said:

International break

Martinez went with the usual suspects. Minus injured and (recently) retired players of course. Vermaelen, Boyata and Lukaku did get call-ups but are doubts. Apropos, I read that Boyata is moving to Anderlecht.

With Kompany out and Boyata + Vermaelen being doubts it wouldn't be the worst idea to call up Engels. Could even tell him to bring Foket along as Meunier got injured. Chadli hasn't played much. KDB, Witsel and Dembele are also injured. Really could have used Fellaini with so many senior midfielders missing. O. Mangala has quickly solidified himself as one of Hamburg's most important players this season and would be a decent shout. He's needed in the U21s but with all the injuries and the ECQs, including the one against Russia, being more pressing issues I'd at least consider him for this break. Then again, Vanaken and Praet can provide cover. No more injuries, please.

Where did you read that ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 1000dB said:

@zsp2 yea together with Spain you guys are one of the favourites for the title and we already have to face both in the groups.

In Belgium's case it was great to hear Dimata will be fit and is looking forward to Italy2019. There are too many exclusions already, some of which weren't catching the eye anyway. Seeing Belgium's senior squad failed to reach the NL Final 4 I'd rather improve our odds of qualifying for the Olympics and boost morale with the inclusion of Tielemans. Our U21s need all the help they can get but I very much doubt Tielemans will be going.

My best guess for our starting XI, also (4-3-3) or (4-2-3-1):

Jackers; De Norre, Faes, Vanheusden, Cools (Saelemaekers); O.Mangala, Heynen, Schrijvers; Mbenza, Dimata, Lukebakio

In June we have a training camp friendly in and against France. We'll see how the team looks then.

Of that bunch I see 3 players (Vanheusden, Mangala, Heynen) make it and De Norre can grow to a player in the First 11 in a Belgian top team.

 

Lukebakio needs to improve also next season in Germany. If he can do that, he will be called-up for the national team of Belgium on long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

Where did you read that ? 

Looked but didn't find it again. The gist of it was he can leave on a free transfer this summer and is close to signing with Anderlecht. Granted there are plenty of rumours about negotiations being all but done and yet nothing comes of it. I didn't mean it's a done deal already, should have written he's being linked instead, my mistake. We'll hear about where he ends up sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

Of that bunch I see 3 players (Vanheusden, Mangala, Heynen) make it and De Norre can grow to a player in the First 11 in a Belgian top team.

 

Lukebakio needs to improve also next season in Germany. If he can do that, he will be called-up for the national team of Belgium on long term. 

Maybe you already read it, but I'll share it anyway:

Martinez: "We hebben jonge spelers gevolgd, vijf of zes spelers in het bijzonder, die al sinds september een hoog niveau halen. Niet om ze nu al bij de Rode Duivels te halen, maar eerder in september of oktober".

Martinez geeft meteen ook de namen. "Jullie kennen ze even goed als ik: Vanheusden, Verschaeren, Lukebakio, De Norre, Saelemaekers... Het zijn allemaal spelers die beschikbaar zijn voor het EK voor beloften in juni. Het heeft geen zin om hen te snel bij de A-ploeg te halen, zeker omdat dat EK hen de ervaring van een internationaal toernooi zal geven. Dat kan op lange termijn alleen maar voordelig zijn. Ik zou hen er al in juni kunnen bijnemen, maar dan zouden ze het EK missen. Wanneer ze bij de Duivels komen, weten ze dan al hoe het is om een toernooi te spelen en hoeven ze zich alleen nog maar aan te passen aan nieuwe ploegmaats en de hogere verwachtingen."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 1000dB said:

Maybe you already read it, but I'll share it anyway:

Martinez: "We hebben jonge spelers gevolgd, vijf of zes spelers in het bijzonder, die al sinds september een hoog niveau halen. Niet om ze nu al bij de Rode Duivels te halen, maar eerder in september of oktober".

Martinez geeft meteen ook de namen. "Jullie kennen ze even goed als ik: Vanheusden, Verschaeren, Lukebakio, De Norre, Saelemaekers... Het zijn allemaal spelers die beschikbaar zijn voor het EK voor beloften in juni. Het heeft geen zin om hen te snel bij de A-ploeg te halen, zeker omdat dat EK hen de ervaring van een internationaal toernooi zal geven. Dat kan op lange termijn alleen maar voordelig zijn. Ik zou hen er al in juni kunnen bijnemen, maar dan zouden ze het EK missen. Wanneer ze bij de Duivels komen, weten ze dan al hoe het is om een toernooi te spelen en hoeven ze zich alleen nog maar aan te passen aan nieuwe ploegmaats en de hogere verwachtingen."

Personnaly I think it's a little bit bizarre that he mentioned De Norre and not Bryan Heynen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly they focussed more on our eternal fullback/wingback woes. Meunier flourishes when used as RWB yet we need better cover and we definitely need options on the left (as it's Chadli and Carrasco for now). With Meunier pulling out due to injury just give Foket a call. Unless e.g. Vertonghen fills in we're down to Chadli, Carrasco and Castagne for both wingback positions.

Foket would currently be a good shout. In future they could be considering Saelemaekers for RWB (let's first see how his situation at club level develops, he needs to play). Castagne is interesting, as he can be deployed on either flank.

I feel sorry Carrasco is being forced to play a position he isn't all that comfortable in and Chadli should be phased out (turns 33 before Qatar). Vertonghen did a great job as LWB in the CL. For country, playing 3 ATB and Vermaelen & Kompany being injury concerns so often, Vertonghen is more of a stop-gap measure at LWB. There's more competition for spots elsewhere than what De Norre would face at LWB. I guess that's why he's being tracked and Martinez doesn't mention Heynen because in the middle of the park there are quite a few young guys already in the squad (Dendoncker, Tielemans, Praet and Vanaken).

@thorgan lesar which players can end, or at least soften, our eternal fullback/wingback woes? For example, Meunier turns 31 ahead of Qatar and should still be in for that RB/RWB spot. How would you rank his competition? Castagne, Foket, Saelemaekers, Cools, J.Schryvers and so on. Similarly, on the left yet J.Lukaku and A. Limbombe haven't looked the part and hopefully Carrasco won't be forced to play LWB by 2022. Castagne, Bolingoli, De Norre, Cobbaut, ... Lutonda and Ndenbe would be 22yo ahead of Qatar (not looking at talents younger than them unless one has a meteoric rise).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 1000dB said:

Possibly they focussed more on our eternal fullback/wingback woes. Meunier flourishes when used as RWB yet we need better cover and we definitely need options on the left (as it's Chadli and Carrasco for now). With Meunier pulling out due to injury just give Foket a call. Unless e.g. Vertonghen fills in we're down to Chadli, Carrasco and Castagne for both wingback positions.

Foket would currently be a good shout. In future they could be considering Saelemaekers for RWB (let's first see how his situation at club level develops, he needs to play). Castagne is interesting, as he can be deployed on either flank.

I feel sorry Carrasco is being forced to play a position he isn't all that comfortable in and Chadli should be phased out (turns 33 before Qatar). Vertonghen did a great job as LWB in the CL. For country, playing 3 ATB and Vermaelen & Kompany being injury concerns so often, Vertonghen is more of a stop-gap measure at LWB. There's more competition for spots elsewhere than what De Norre would face at LWB. I guess that's why he's being tracked and Martinez doesn't mention Heynen because in the middle of the park there are quite a few young guys already in the squad (Dendoncker, Tielemans, Praet and Vanaken).

@thorgan lesar which players can end, or at least soften, our eternal fullback/wingback woes? For example, Meunier turns 31 ahead of Qatar and should still be in for that RB/RWB spot. How would you rank his competition? Castagne, Foket, Saelemaekers, Cools, J.Schryvers and so on. Similarly, on the left yet J.Lukaku and A. Limbombe haven't looked the part and hopefully Carrasco won't be forced to play LWB by 2022. Castagne, Bolingoli, De Norre, Cobbaut, ... Lutonda and Ndenbe would be 22yo ahead of Qatar (not looking at talents younger than them unless one has a meteoric rise).

Will answer later on this question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

European Championship Qualifies

Belgium vs Russia 3-1

Courtois; Alderweireld, Boyata, Vertonghen; Castagne, Dendoncker, Tielemans, T.Hazard (Chadli 84'); Mertens, E.Hazard; Batshuayi 

1-0 Youri Tielemans

2-1 Eden Hazard pen,

3-1 Eden Hazard 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

European Championship Qualifies

Belgium vs Russia 3-1

Courtois; Alderweireld, Boyata, Vertonghen; Castagne, Dendoncker, Tielemans, T.Hazard (Chadli 84'); Mertens, E.Hazard; Batshuayi 

1-0 Youri Tielemans

2-1 Eden Hazard pen,

3-1 Eden Hazard 

 

How has Castagne played? I red only that Courtois did a stupid mistake.

 

Is a while I don't update about Castagne:

Atalanta has 3 players for 2 spots, so there's always turnover, Castagne continues with solid performances, last week he played 40' but he helped a lot the team to reach the 1-1 against Chievo.  He improved a lot since he arrived, I hope he will have more space and stays in Atalanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zsp2 said:

How has Castagne played? I red only that Courtois did a stupid mistake.

 

Is a while I don't update about Castagne:

Atalanta has 3 players for 2 spots, so there's always turnover, Castagne continues with solid performances, last week he played 40' but he helped a lot the team to reach the 1-1 against Chievo.  He improved a lot since he arrived, I hope he will have more space and stays in Atalanta.

Yea, a rare howler from Courtois. Very unusual, seems to be lacking in confidence right now.

Castagne was decent enough. He worked hard for the team and did get an assist (a simple one). Had an okay game, can't really praise him but can't complain either. Thorgan Hazard, on the left flank, made himself more noticeable. Your brother being so decisive helps. Eden with a MOTM performance.

 

Edit: doesn't matter much, the game was won after all, yet Courtois did get a push from a tank like Dzyuba when he's about to kick. Without the push the ball is cleared. Unlucky that this wasn't called, especially as refs usually offer goalies a lot of protection.

do3K34w.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zsp2 said:

How has Castagne played? I red only that Courtois did a stupid mistake.

 

Is a while I don't update about Castagne:

Atalanta has 3 players for 2 spots, so there's always turnover, Castagne continues with solid performances, last week he played 40' but he helped a lot the team to reach the 1-1 against Chievo.  He improved a lot since he arrived, I hope he will have more space and stays in Atalanta.

He did it okay.. Not impressive, but also not bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 1:37 AM, 1000dB said:

Possibly they focussed more on our eternal fullback/wingback woes. Meunier flourishes when used as RWB yet we need better cover and we definitely need options on the left (as it's Chadli and Carrasco for now). With Meunier pulling out due to injury just give Foket a call. Unless e.g. Vertonghen fills in we're down to Chadli, Carrasco and Castagne for both wingback positions.

Foket would currently be a good shout. In future they could be considering Saelemaekers for RWB (let's first see how his situation at club level develops, he needs to play). Castagne is interesting, as he can be deployed on either flank.

I feel sorry Carrasco is being forced to play a position he isn't all that comfortable in and Chadli should be phased out (turns 33 before Qatar). Vertonghen did a great job as LWB in the CL. For country, playing 3 ATB and Vermaelen & Kompany being injury concerns so often, Vertonghen is more of a stop-gap measure at LWB. There's more competition for spots elsewhere than what De Norre would face at LWB. I guess that's why he's being tracked and Martinez doesn't mention Heynen because in the middle of the park there are quite a few young guys already in the squad (Dendoncker, Tielemans, Praet and Vanaken).

@thorgan lesar which players can end, or at least soften, our eternal fullback/wingback woes? For example, Meunier turns 31 ahead of Qatar and should still be in for that RB/RWB spot. How would you rank his competition? Castagne, Foket, Saelemaekers, Cools, J.Schryvers and so on. Similarly, on the left yet J.Lukaku and A. Limbombe haven't looked the part and hopefully Carrasco won't be forced to play LWB by 2022. Castagne, Bolingoli, De Norre, Cobbaut, ... Lutonda and Ndenbe would be 22yo ahead of Qatar (not looking at talents younger than them unless one has a meteoric rise).

It's not going to change immediately, these 5 are still our bestwingbacks:

Thomas Meunier

Timothy Castagne

Nacer Chadli

Yannick Carrasco

Thorgàn Hazard

 

RWB

Meunier and Castagne are the first options on that position.

4) Thomas Foket is playing good for the moment in France. He is my 4th choice.

5) Alexis Saelemaekers has a difficult time for the moment, but who hasn't ? He has still potential, but needs to grow in a defensive rol. Isn't first choice for the moment in Anderlecht.

Dion Cools and Jur Schryvers are not good enough.

 

RWB & LWB

In my opinion it's nice to know we can still rely on Nacer Chadli as an experience wingback-player. He needs to play, but excellent 3th choice.

 

LWB

Thorgàn Hazard and Yannick Carrasco are the first options on that position. I'm "afraid" for Carrasco that Thorgàn Hazard will take his place. If Carrasco returns in the summer to Europe, he can maybe begin with trying to take his place, but for now he lost it.

4- Casper De Norre is a good player, but way too early for him.

5- Elias Cobbaut has a difficult time to recover well for the moment.

Jordan Lukaku and Boli Bolingoli are not good enough Anthony Limbombe needs to move again

 

Future

Lutonda; one to follow

Ndenbe; How will he react after a long injury ?

Nzita; one to follow

Miangue; is coming through a difficult time in Liège

Koni De Winter; plays each week for the youth of Juventus FC... It's hoping Miangue will break through evedentially in Liège and how will De Winter developp more ?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goalies:

1. Courtois

2. Casteels or Sels

3. Mignolet

Even at the start of the 2022 World Cup Migs wouldn't be too old while Courtois should still be in his prime. With Migs being benched I'd go with Casteels as 2nd stringer yet Sels is having a good season, either is fine (form to decide), and if Migs stays perma-benched you could consider dropping him. Slowly but surely the youngsters need to get a look in after all.

Future: Jackers, De Wolf, Teunckens, Svilar, J.De Bie, Shinton, Vandevoordt, ...

 

Centre-backs (ordered by descending age)

Vermaelen
Kompany
Vertonghen
Alderweireld
Boyata
Kabasele
Mechele
Engels
Denayer

In the backline age is a concern. Among those on the wrong side of 30, Vertonghen could still be serviceable/add experience in the Qatar campaign. Yet Alderweireld would be 33yo as well (hey-ho Van Buyten was 36yo and our best defender in Brazil). Doubting Ciman will get another call and Vermaelen + Kompany will bid farewell sooner rather than later. Boyata isn't that young, will be 32yo in Qatar, but he seems to be one of Martinez's favourites.

Bedding in younger, faster defenders to replenish the ageing defence is essential. I'd prefer Martinez to start giving more chances to Denayer and Engels, who'll be in their prime during Qatar, instead of Boyata. Vanheusden is edging closer to his first call-up. His debut can't come soon enough. I'm hoping he'll make that step in autumn.

Future: Vanheusden, Faes, Bornauw, Bushiri, Voet, Van Den Eynden, Gillekens, Sardella, ...

@thorgan lesar your thoughts, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1000dB said:

Goalies:

1. Courtois

2. Casteels or Sels

3. Mignolet

Even at the start of the 2022 World Cup Migs wouldn't be too old while Courtois should still be in his prime. With Migs being benched I'd go with Casteels as 2nd stringer yet Sels is having a good season, either is fine (form to decide), and if Migs stays perma-benched you could consider dropping him. Slowly but surely the youngsters need to get a look in after all.

Future: Jackers, De Wolf, Teunckens, Svilar, J.De Bie, Shinton, Vandevoordt, ...

 

Centre-backs (ordered by descending age)

Vermaelen
Kompany
Vertonghen
Alderweireld
Boyata
Kabasele
Mechele
Engels
Denayer

In the backline age is a concern. Among those on the wrong side of 30, Vertonghen could still be serviceable/add experience in the Qatar campaign. Yet Alderweireld would be 33yo as well (hey-ho Van Buyten was 36yo and our best defender in Brazil). Doubting Ciman will get another call and Vermaelen + Kompany will bid farewell sooner rather than later. Boyata isn't that young, will be 32yo in Qatar, but he seems to be one of Martinez's favourites.

Bedding in younger, faster defenders to replenish the ageing defence is essential. I'd prefer Martinez to start giving more chances to Denayer and Engels, who'll be in their prime during Qatar, instead of Boyata. Vanheusden is edging closer to his first call-up. His debut can't come soon enough. I'm hoping he'll make that step in autumn.

Future: Vanheusden, Faes, Bornauw, Bushiri, Voet, Van Den Eynden, Gillekens, Sardella, ...

@thorgan lesar your thoughts, please.

Courtois

Casteels

Mignolet

Sels

I also would chose for Koen Casteels as second choice. Sels is also doing well, but doesn't impress me. He is my nr.4

 

Future

Ortwin De Wolf; should move to a better team, but don't think he is good enough yet for the Belgian NT.

Jonathan De Bie; he played 1 time with Tottenham Hotspurs -23 in a defeat against Everton FC with 6-0. Tbf, I don't have an eye on him for the moment.

Jens Teunckens; there are rumours he will get the chance in Antwerp next season as nr.1 . He also isn't a player for in the first 2 years.

Mile Svilar; will he chose for Belgium ? He will have the same problem as Charly Musonda...

Maarten Vandevoordt; will probably get a little chance next season, but the earliest will be in 2 years.. . Vukovic will probably stay number 1 for a year.

When he is 19 - 20 years old I expect him by the Red Devils if he developps further with no problems.

 

Vermaelen

Kompany

Vertonghen

Alderweireld

Boyata

Kabasele

Mechele

Engels

Denayer

I don't see problems actually for our defenders. Vertonghen and Alderweireld can play for 3 till 4 years. Vermaelen needs to move to a team like Ajax where he the level is a bit lower.

Boyata, Kabasele, Mechele, Engels and Denayer will stay long in the National Team. Vincent Kompany... What's your opinion about him ?

 

Future

Zinho Vanheusden; it's a matter of time he will get a chance this year..

Flor Van Den Eynden; it's not for immediately. He plays a little more then in his beginning in Internazionale, but I don't think he will make it in Italy..

Sebastiaan Bornauw; I have doubts...

Rocky Bushiri; played a good season in KAS Eupen. They want to buy him. I wait a little with this summer, but I don't expect he will be good enough for the NT on this moment.

Voet; deserves chances in the first squad of Club Brugge, but it's still difficult to get chances in Brugge as Youngster.

Jordy Gillekens; it's a matter of time he will get in the first squad of AC Fiorentina.

Killian Sardella; has the potential for the NT in at least 3-4 years..

Lucas Lissens; 2-3 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

European Championship Qualifiers

Cyprus vs Belgium 0-2

Courtois; Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen; Castagne, Dendoncker, Tielemans, T.Hazard; Mertens (Januzaj 57'), E.Hazard (Carrasco 68'); Batshuayi (Praet 89')

0-1 Eden Hazard

0-2 Michy Batshuayi 

@1000dB

Boring game...

Don't get also why a Trossard or Vanaken doesn't get a chance. 

I'm a little concerned with Dries Mertens. He wasn't good these 2 games...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@thorgan lesar with the NL reducing the number of friendlies and League A being cut-throat, there aren't that many opportunities to "experiment". Even though injuries forced Martinez's hand I'm happy that Castagne, Dendoncker and Tielemans had the chance to make a case for themselves. Had hoped Denayer would start though. And yes, Martinez could have easily brought on Trossard or Vanaken (did want to see more of Tielemans and Dendoncker TBH). There wasn't much risk involved, those playing didn't look hungry/hardly moved and it's a bit of exposure (I'm guessing they will transfer out in summer).

About Kompany: a shame injuries have robbed him of so much of his prime. Nonetheless he can be proud of his career so far and I hope his contract with City will be extended. Also, can't exactly say he's standing in the way of younger guys considering how many games he's missed for country. Kompany might have lost a step and has been pondering retirement but with his communication skills (hear him bark orders non-stop, constantly in your ear helping to organize the defence and sniff out danger), leadership, positioning, reading of the game, ... he can still contribute to the team. Yet with players that are frequently injured Martinez needs to know he can rely on others as well. He needs to maintain a balanced mix of ages anyway.

Definitely can't have a backline slower than a continental shelf. The space our defenders leave behind will be suicidal. In case we continue playing a high line, like to be on the front foot, the wingbacks also pushing forward, ... then an injection of pace wouldn't go amiss. I prefer (gradual) rejuvenation. Don't want to be forced into a tactical rethink, for example having to use a low passive block to spare a defence that will get increasingly creaky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgium's midfield pairing (ordered by descending age)

Dembele
Witsel
De Bruyne
Vanaken
Praet
Dendoncker
Tielemans

After Nainggolan, Defour and recently Fellaini a fourth midfielder, i.e. Dembele, is on the way out, winding down his career in China. I guess Fellaini's retirement will give Dembele pause to think about his future as an international. Witsel should last longer yet slowly but surely he'll become the fifth to hang up his boots. Before Witsel eventually bids farewell he can help integrate our young talents and he can stabilize our midfield. With the EUROs, Nations League and World Cup we can always use extra depth and promising talents should get a look in sooner or later.

Luckily Dendoncker has made a case for himself at Wolves and Tielemans is showing his class for the Foxes. Tielemans already is very experienced. Let's see who'll follow his lead.

Future: Mangala, Heynen, Bastien, Emmers, Rigo, Baiye, Onana, Asoma, Masangu, Raskin, Sierra, Timassi, Patoulidis, Matazo?, ... (could add a fair few more but as always only a fraction will come good).

 

 

Belgium's front three (ordered by descending age)

Mertens
Mirallas (yet to retire AFAIK)
Depoitre
Benteke
Hazard
T.Hazard
Lukaku
Batshuayi
Trossard
Januzaj
Origi

Up front there's plenty of firepower, since Martinez took over Belgium has the most prolific attack in the international game. Mertens will be hard to replace, once he decides to quit (long may he play on), but even when that time comes the attack can remain largely unchanged. Also, there are more than enough strikers but their struggles, especially at club level, are evident. Lukaku is pretty much nailed-on despite his critics. Serious competition for places to keep the hunger, to push each other, ... is never a bad thing though.

Future: Schrijvers, Mbenza, Dimata, Manuel Benson, Leya Iseka, Amuzu, Lukebakio, Ngonge, Vanzeir, Verlinden, Verschaeren, Anaxis, Sidibe, Persyn, Mpie, Ramazani, Doku, Openda, Vertessen, ...

 

@thorgan lesar that's it, your thoughts, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:35 AM, 1000dB said:

Belgium's midfield pairing (ordered by descending age)

Dembele
Witsel
De Bruyne
Vanaken
Praet
Dendoncker
Tielemans

After Nainggolan, Defour and recently Fellaini a fourth midfielder, i.e. Dembele, is on the way out, winding down his career in China. I guess Fellaini's retirement will give Dembele pause to think about his future as an international. Witsel should last longer yet slowly but surely he'll become the fifth to hang up his boots. Before Witsel eventually bids farewell he can help integrate our young talents and he can stabilize our midfield. With the EUROs, Nations League and World Cup we can always use extra depth and promising talents should get a look in sooner or later.

Luckily Dendoncker has made a case for himself at Wolves and Tielemans is showing his class for the Foxes. Tielemans already is very experienced. Let's see who'll follow his lead.

Future: Mangala, Heynen, Bastien, Emmers, Rigo, Baiye, Onana, Asoma, Masangu, Raskin, Sierra, Timassi, Patoulidis, Matazo?, ... (could add a fair few more but as always only a fraction will come good).

 

 

Belgium's front three (ordered by descending age)

Mertens
Mirallas (yet to retire AFAIK)
Depoitre
Benteke
Hazard
T.Hazard
Lukaku
Batshuayi
Trossard
Januzaj
Origi

Up front there's plenty of firepower, since Martinez took over Belgium has the most prolific attack in the international game. Mertens will be hard to replace, once he decides to quit (long may he play on), but even when that time comes the attack can remain largely unchanged. Also, there are more than enough strikers but their struggles, especially at club level, are evident. Lukaku is pretty much nailed-on despite his critics. Serious competition for places to keep the hunger, to push each other, ... is never a bad thing though.

Future: Schrijvers, Mbenza, Dimata, Manuel Benson, Leya Iseka, Amuzu, Lukebakio, Ngonge, Vanzeir, Verlinden, Verschaeren, Anaxis, Sidibe, Persyn, Mpie, Ramazani, Doku, Openda, Vertessen, ...

 

@thorgan lesar that's it, your thoughts, please.

Midfielders

 

Dembélé

Witsel

De Bruyne

Vanaken

Praet

Dendoncker

Tielemans

 

I actually wanted to play with Dembélé against Russia, because he is just 1 month in China. I don’t know if I will call him for the next selection to be honest. We should give our midfield youngsters a chance like Dennis Praet and Bryan Heynen.

I’m curious how Leander Dendoncker will improve in England. He played good, but he needs to adapt to this system.

 

Future

Orel Mangala

ð  He is doing well in the second division in Germany. He has real talent, but I want to see how he is doing on a higher level.

Bryan Heynen

ð  He has potential to get chances this year, but he has concurrence in his team with Sander Berge…

Samuel Bastien

ð  Will get more chances in Liège next season. He has a difficult season to break through in Belgium.

Xian Emmers

ð  He is doing okay in Serie B. It’s waiting what he will do next season. What does Internazionale think ? Will he leave ?

Dante Rigo

ð  I recommend him to leave The Netherlands for Belgium. He has it difficult like to break through in PSV.

Brandon Baiye

ð  No future in Club Brugge…

Amadou Onana

ð  It’s a good thing he is developing in Germany. He has the talent to break through, he is still young, but needs to improve some things in his style of playing. We need to have patience with him.

Samuel Asoma

ð  He is still young, but he deserves to be in the squad of Club Brugge next season. He has the potential to make it.

Keres Masangu

ð  He’s stagnating in his developpment.. .

Nicolas Raskin

ð  Now with Razvan Marin leaving to Ajax, he will get more posibilities to play next season.

Elias Sierra

ð  He’s developping well, but it will take some time.

Halim Timassi

ð  Had a long injury, he stagnates for the moment.

Evangelos Patoulidis

ð  Has a lot of talent, but Standard Luik is a question for next season. How will this selection be next season ?

 

Attackers for the next time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:35 AM, 1000dB said:

Belgium's midfield pairing (ordered by descending age)

Dembele
Witsel
De Bruyne
Vanaken
Praet
Dendoncker
Tielemans

After Nainggolan, Defour and recently Fellaini a fourth midfielder, i.e. Dembele, is on the way out, winding down his career in China. I guess Fellaini's retirement will give Dembele pause to think about his future as an international. Witsel should last longer yet slowly but surely he'll become the fifth to hang up his boots. Before Witsel eventually bids farewell he can help integrate our young talents and he can stabilize our midfield. With the EUROs, Nations League and World Cup we can always use extra depth and promising talents should get a look in sooner or later.

Luckily Dendoncker has made a case for himself at Wolves and Tielemans is showing his class for the Foxes. Tielemans already is very experienced. Let's see who'll follow his lead.

Future: Mangala, Heynen, Bastien, Emmers, Rigo, Baiye, Onana, Asoma, Masangu, Raskin, Sierra, Timassi, Patoulidis, Matazo?, ... (could add a fair few more but as always only a fraction will come good).

 

 

Belgium's front three (ordered by descending age)

Mertens
Mirallas (yet to retire AFAIK)
Depoitre
Benteke
Hazard
T.Hazard
Lukaku
Batshuayi
Trossard
Januzaj
Origi

Up front there's plenty of firepower, since Martinez took over Belgium has the most prolific attack in the international game. Mertens will be hard to replace, once he decides to quit (long may he play on), but even when that time comes the attack can remain largely unchanged. Also, there are more than enough strikers but their struggles, especially at club level, are evident. Lukaku is pretty much nailed-on despite his critics. Serious competition for places to keep the hunger, to push each other, ... is never a bad thing though.

Future: Schrijvers, Mbenza, Dimata, Manuel Benson, Leya Iseka, Amuzu, Lukebakio, Ngonge, Vanzeir, Verlinden, Verschaeren, Anaxis, Sidibe, Persyn, Mpie, Ramazani, Doku, Openda, Vertessen, ...

 

@thorgan lesar that's it, your thoughts, please.

Attackers

 

Mertens

Mirallas

Depoitre

Benteke

Hazard

T.Hazard

Lukaku

Batshuayi

Trossard

Januzaj

Origi

 

It will indeed difficult to replace Dries Mertens, but I suppose he will stay international for 2 till 3 years minimum. Laurent Depoitre and Kevin Mirallas aren’t good enough any more on this level. Christian Benteke needs to find a new team, because Batshuayi is first option in Crystal Palace. I still believe in Benteke as nr.5 after Lukaku, Batshuayi, Mertens and Origi.

 

Leandro Trossard will leave next season. Mönchengladbach and VFL Wolfsburg are interested in him. Thorgan Hazard will leave probably to Borussia Dortmund and I really hope Eden Hazard goes to Real Madrid although I think he fit better in Barcelona. I recommend Origi also to leave, because he’s losing time now.

 

Future

Siebe Schrijvers: In Italy they call him the “new Dries Mertens”. For the moment I don’t hink Schrijvers will grow to that level, but I get the comparison. He has the same style of playing. This year he’s developping wel, but now he has it a bit difficult to play each week on that level. He isn’t an option for now, maybe in 2 years if he developps wel…

 

Isaac Mbenza: I don’t get him. He was doing okay in Standard Luik, but left so fast… . He did it good in Montpellier and again… left too fast. These wrong choices made his situation now…

 

Landry Dimata: he is a pure talent, but has injury problems this season. How will he react on that ? Can he finally break through next season ?

 

Manuel Benson: doing well, developping well. Now he is injured till the end of the season… . Unfortunately…

 

Aaron Leya Iseka: Will need a lot of time.

 

Francis Amuzu: He is a nice player, but not enough to be a Red Devil later.. . Btw under Fred Rutten he isn’t developping well.

 

Dodi Lukebakio: He is already an option this year. If he can continue this level and he’s improving well, he can get a chance in a game against San Marino for example. Not a problem, I think.

 

Cyril Ngongé: for some reason he doesn’t get chances. If Ivan Leko pass him through the Play-Offs he will probably leave…

 

Dante Vanzeir: doing really well in K.F.C.O. Beerschot-Wilrijk. I’m excited to next season if he can get chances in KRC Genk.

Thibaud Verlinden: made finally his debut previous week in the Championship, but I doubt he will get to the Red Devils.

 

Yari Verschaeren: I don’t want to call him a toptalent, because I don’t want to give him pressure. But if he’s doing like now, it’s very promising.

 

Sekou Sidibe: doing well in PSV Eindhoven, but not for immediately

 

Tibo Persyn: really important for Internazionale -19. Excited talent.

 

Yayi Mpie: Persyn and Mpie are 2 players to look out for..

 

Largie Ramazani: need to adapt more in Manchester United. Not ready yet…

 

Jérémy Doku: really excited talent.

 

Loïs Openda; don’t think he will reach the level of a Benteke, Batshuayi, Origi actually. Nice talent, but not ready. He need to take it step by step.

 

Yorbe Vertessen: Excited talent.

 

 

In the next 3-4 years the next players are possible our future (if nothing happens):

Yorbe Vertessen

Jérémy Doku

Yari Verschaeren

Tibo Persyn

Yayi Mpie

Dodi Lukebakio

 

Doubtful:

Landry Dimata (due to injuries)

Sekou Sidibe

Dante Vanzeir

Siebe Schrijvers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...