thorgan lesar

Belgian football (Season '19-'20) + 22 other countries (for example The Netherlands)

Sure, still there were those, often from Brugge, giving Anderlecht crap for focusing on the league instead of the Man Utd tie in the EL (while Anderlecht aren't the worst offenders). Dnipro also were miles off Man Utd's most expensively assembled squad in the history of the game. Brugge pull that sh1t even when their players are called up to the NT only to be miraculously healed after the international break.

A bit oversized but that's good for competition. Really shocked by Nainggolan's exclusion (he seems very disappointed). This has been going on for almost a year. Martinez should have ironed things out with him by now. Radja is one of the best players in the world in his position. Please God, I'd like to see him in Russia (probably his last chance at a WC considering the way he plays)

There was news that Radja Nainggolan stops, but it's false news. :) I'm not agree with the selection for SELS, Matz/ HAZARD, Eden,/ORIGI, Divock/MIRALLAS, Kevin/DENDONCKER, Leander and I don't understand why 4 goalkeepers. It's a bit the fault of Nainggolan himself he isn't in the selection. Steven Defour has good weeks for Burnley for the moment. Laurent Ciman is top fit, because he is in the middle of the season in USA. So these I understand. Björn Engels, Jason Denayer and Christian Kabasele need more time. Kabasele is just back from an injury, Denayer his situation isn't clear and isn't playing and Engels needs to find his level back. If I was the bondscoach this would be mine selection

Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet and Koen Casteels

Thomas Meunier, Timothy Castagne, Toby Alderweireld, Vincent Kompany, Laurent Ciman, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen and Jordan Lukaku

Axel Witsel, Marouane Fellaini, Radja Nainggolan, Mousa Dembélé & Youri Tielemans

Nacer Chadli, Yannick Carrasco, Kevin De Bruyne, Dries Mertens & Thorgan Hazard

Romelu Lukaku, Christian Benteke & Landry Dimata

Place nr. 25 can be fit with Steven Defour, Michy Batshuayi or new player like Theo Bongonda or Amine Khammas. I think we lost Amine Khammas now to Morocco :(.

The World Championship is in 1 year here. So it's coming nearier and nearier. You can now make a selection with new players, but in 2 till 4 months the selection need to be the players who makes a chance on the World Championship. So I'm a bit dissapointed, because Martinez has some friends (Origi, Mirallas, Sels) he wants to keep in the selection. I blame him about that.

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, Soccahappy said:

I've always wondered about Tielemans & Dendoncker, who would turn out the best.

They are both rated 88 at present but would I be right in assuming that Tielmanns being much younger & now at Monaco will turn out in the future to be the higher rated of the 2??

Thorgan, of Zinho Vanheusden, Orel M. Mangala and Dante Rigo is it likely Mangala will be the first to break through in SM terms ie playing & getting a review rise from SM or have all 3 similar chances at their respective clubs??

Thanks again...

There are rumours that AS Monaco wants Leander Dendoncker. Don't forget Youri Tielemans is now playing in Monaco, so it's possible we will see them again together but now in AS Monaco :). AS Monaco wants to give 25 million euros (same amount as Tielemans) + Soualiho Meîté on loan (great player imo)

9 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

There was news that Radja Nainggolan stops, but it's false news. :) I'm not agree with the selection for SELS, Matz/ HAZARD, Eden,/ORIGI, Divock/MIRALLAS, Kevin/DENDONCKER, Leander and I don't understand why 4 goalkeepers. It's a bit the fault of Nainggolan himself he isn't in the selection. Steven Defour has good weeks for Burnley for the moment. Laurent Ciman is top fit, because he is in the middle of the season in USA. So these I understand. Björn Engels, Jason Denayer and Christian Kabasele need more time. Kabasele is just back from an injury, Denayer his situation isn't clear and isn't playing and Engels needs to find his level back. If I was the bondscoach this would be mine selection

Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet and Koen Casteels

Thomas Meunier, Timothy Castagne, Toby Alderweireld, Vincent Kompany, Laurent Ciman, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen and Jordan Lukaku

Axel Witsel, Marouane Fellaini, Radja Nainggolan, Mousa Dembélé & Youri Tielemans

Nacer Chadli, Yannick Carrasco, Kevin De Bruyne, Dries Mertens & Thorgan Hazard

Romelu Lukaku, Christian Benteke & Landry Dimata

Place nr. 25 can be fit with Steven Defour, Michy Batshuayi or new player like Theo Bongonda or Amine Khammas. I think we lost Amine Khammas now to Morocco :(.

The World Championship is in 1 year here. So it's coming nearier and nearier. You can now make a selection with new players, but in 2 till 4 months the selection need to be the players who makes a chance on the World Championship. So I'm a bit dissapointed, because Martinez has some friends (Origi, Mirallas, Sels) he wants to keep in the selection. I blame him about that.

Bobby calling up 4 keepers is being copied by other managers (e.g. England) and I don't really mind it at all. Martinez is paying from his own pocket to have an extra keeper trainer on his staff (a Catalan friend IIRC) and that guy needs something to do I guess. There's no harm in it and it can even help that extra keeper (e.g. if he lacks match rhythm, like Sels and Casteels last season, or to (re)launch his career). If it becomes a tradition the likes of Svilar could profit from it later on. Besides Casteels missed out on Brazil2014, so if a keeper gets injured ahead of Russia2018 his replacement already has been bedded in. There are mostly upsides to calling up an extra keeper (the always cheerful Gillet might have even kept Migs and Courtois from having a go at each other because when he wasn't there some poor statements were published).

Hazard has started to regain fitness (sounds like he's close to being match fit if he isn't already). Even when he doesn't play in either game there's nothing wrong with spending more time with the NT. Bobby and Henry's chances to work with NT players are few and far between. We needed Eden against Greece last time and if things go wrong this time, away to Greece, he isn't a bad option to have from the bench (he might return to Chelsea early though and only spend a few days in Belgium; with the team and his family). Belgium shouldn't just roll over for clubs. Other countries show more backbone and it isn't like Hazard needs to be taken hostage. Players tend to like spending time with our NT and you want players to show a professional attitude towards the NT (not something that's of hardly any importance compared to their club career; we've seen plenty of that sort of thing before; when failing to qualify in 2012, 2010, ...).

Bobby could as well have called up lots of others if Origi, Mirallas (and I'd add Ciman too) get a call-up. Ciman made a personal error gifting Greece the lead last time we faced them and at the Euros he was pretty much useless. Personally I dislike the double standards in favour of players from lesser clubs. I can forgive younger players for making youthful mistakes but Ciman is a senior defender and should be held to the same standard as our other senior defenders. Besides we have plenty of senior defenders (if Kompany and Vermaelen stay fit and perform at a high level). We already have lost Lombaerts (a shame because he feels half-Russian and is familiar with the country), Kompany has said he's thinking about retirement from international football and who knows if Vermaelen gets his career back on track. The defence remains my main worry. With a game against Gibraltar Bobby could have started bedding in the kiddies (I've went on about this before, I know). What do you really risk using Zinho Vanheusden in the Gibraltar game? With 3 ATB he has 2 senior defenders to coach him and he can get eased into the squad. Why not try every little thing to help his career along (he already gets some attention in Italy, a call-up can boost his Inter career a bit more and we can reap the benefits later while it isn't a big ask for us at all).

Denayer, like Engels, hasn't been in great form (very little love from Sunderland fans) and could be preoccupied with a loan move (as you said his stuation isn't clear). As things stand I'd put Vanheusden's name forward (to have at least one young CB with the team because every CB that was called up is either nearing his 30s or on the wrong side of 30). To avoid a massive overhaul of our defence, and maybe a lost campaign because of it, we need to think ahead as well. Besides the squad is fairly settled already. After winter you can narrow down the squad to 23 names and only pick the best players that are in top form during the final stretch leading up to Russia2018. The ones that will have to perform and maybe bring one or two talents for experience. A break-out season from one of the youngsters could still put him in the mix (was pulling for Miangue to have one last season but sadly it didn't happen for him). Praet started the season well (and others too). It's still early doors so who knows who'll be looking back on a great season in 2018.

PS maybe Dendoncker is phoning it in right now and once the transfer window closes he"ll up his performances again? He's listed as a defender for the NT but for me he'd be more of a stop-gap solution for our back line.

Relief!

Yesterday there were murmurings in the media that he'd retire which were quickly dismissed. Then that Nieuwsbad interview from my previous post was published and now we have Radja's tweet.

A world class player like him, a monster grinta personified, with his passion, his workrate, ... the kind of warrior we desperately need because backbones are in short supply in our team, to leave him out of our Russia2018 squad is unfathomable. Especially when the ultimate mercenary, a backpassing coward that plays in china, gets into the starting line-up.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/16076/De-Rode-Duivels/article/detail/3242623/2017/08/26/Komt-dit-ooit-nog-goed.dhtml

2 hours ago, 1000dB said:

Relief!

Yesterday there were murmurings in the media that he'd retire which were quickly dismissed. Then that Nieuwsbad interview from my previous post was published and now we have Radja's tweet.

A world class player like him, a monster grinta personified, with his passion, his workrate, ... the kind of warrior we desperately need because backbones are in short supply in our team, to leave him out of our Russia2018 squad is unfathomable. Especially when the ultimate mercenary, a backpassing coward that plays in china, gets into the starting line-up.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/16076/De-Rode-Duivels/article/detail/3242623/2017/08/26/Komt-dit-ooit-nog-goed.dhtml

He isn't one of the best players, but he is important for the balans in this team with his grinta and passion. So It's defenitely a relief, but in my eyes it's his own faults he isn't in the selection against Gibraltar and Greece.

Jupiler Pro League 

Speeldag 5

Friday

KV Kortrijk - Excel Moeskroen 1-1

1-0 Stojanovic, 1-1 Amallah

Saturday

Charleroi SC - Zulte Waregem 3-2

0-1 Olayinka, 1-1 Rezaei, 1-2 Marinos own, 2-2 Baby, 3-2 Rezaei

STVV - Waasland-Beveren 1-0

1-0 Vetokele

KRC Genk - KV Mechelen 1-0

1-0 Pozuelo

Lokeren OSV - KAS Eupen 3-0

1-0 Kehli, 2-0 Söder, 3-0 Miric

Sunday

Club Brugge - Standard Luik 4-0

1-0 Vanaken, 2-0 Wesley, 3-0 Vanaken, 4-0 Mechele

KAA Gent - RSC Anderlecht 0-0

KV Oostende - Antwerp FC 3-4

1-0 Berrier pen, 1-1 I.Rodrigues, 1-2 Matheus, 1-3 S.Limbombe

2-3 Gano, 2-4 I.Rodrigues, 3-4 Conté 

Topscorers

Zinho Gano                       5

Emmanuel Dennis            4

Yohann Boli                      3

Jonathan Bolingi               3

Mbwana Samatta              3

More players

Assists

Ryota Morioka                    4

Peter Olayinka                    4

Samy Kehli                         3

Christopher Lepoint            2

Samuel Asamoah               2

More players

12 minutes ago, thorgan lesar said:

He isn't one of the best players, but he is important for the balans in this team with his grinta and passion. So It's defenitely a relief, but in my eyes it's his own faults he isn't in the selection against Gibraltar and Greece.

Our best midfielder IMO. In recent times KDB has struggled a bit while Nainggolan had a terrific season. Not only for club but also at the Euros Nainggolan was one of our better players (together with Vermaelen and Hazard, as well, the latter coming closer to what he so often shows at club level but less so over his entire career for country).

7 hours ago, 1000dB said:

Our best midfielder IMO. In recent times KDB has struggled a bit while Nainggolan had a terrific season. Not only for club but also at the Euros Nainggolan was one of our better players (together with Vermaelen and Hazard, as well, the latter coming closer to what he so often shows at club level but less so over his entire career for country).

Hmm, don't think so actually. I see more in Mousa Dembélé then in Radja Nainggolan.

40 minutes ago, thorgan lesar said:

Hmm, don't think so actually. I see more in Mousa Dembélé then in Radja Nainggolan.

Dembele definitely deserves more chances for country (even though he slowed down the tempo when he did play but that might be on the manager). As we hardly see him feature for us it's hard to rate him over Nainggolan. For me, Radja is always a nailed on starter (granted, I'd like to see Dembele start alongside Nainggolan; at least give them a fair chance).

Also for club I'd say Radja edges Dembele. Nainggolan is one of, if not, the best box-to-box midfielder in the game today. Dembele is a top player but has been used out of position for long stretches in his career. People have said he's underrated so much I've the feeling Dembele is being overrated in recent years (lads it's Spurs, a side recently beaten by Gent).

11 hours ago, -JMH- said:

Dembele is your new key. He has been outstanding for Tottenham, in some games by far the best player on the pitch

How would you set up Belgium (assuming all players are fully fit and in top form)?

Since Bobby took over we haven't played 4-2-3-1 much but the team shouldn't have any problems with it (nor with 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1). Mind you we don't have many natural FBs, especially on the left. At club level I've seen/heard some positive things from/about J.Lukaku (didn't follow Lazio much last season though). Recently he also provided the assist for the winning goal in the super cup against Juve but it always scares me when he plays for country (unless it's against a minnow like Andorra).

We often face (much) weaker opposition, e.g. Gibraltar are next and with all due respect Greece, even though it's their right to play like relegation fodder, are a pain in the ass to break down (even when committing lots of bodies to our attack). Feel free to set Belgium up to face top opponents, like Brazil (I'm guessing that's where you're from), and/or weaker ones.

Against soft opposition I'd go with one of these:

nKXU1rd.jpg

7zklyF1.jpg

Both formations allow you to fit in the best players (without putting a square peg in a round hole). It's hard to fit in Dembele as well. You'd have to drop one of KDB, Nainggolan or maybe Mertens (the latter if you play Nainggolan or KDB higher up the pitch; unlike Pep asks of KDB at club level). These 3 guys can't stop scoring/assisting and usually do well for Belgium. To be clear I'm perfectly fine with Nainggolan and Dembele in midfield, no matter who Belgium face really, but less so with KDB and Dembele (against weaker teams KDB and Dembele is also fine though). For me, Nainggolan is a nailed on starter and I'd build the team around KDB (let him direct play from deep and somewhat limit the freedom Nainggolan receives at club level unless he's used as an AM). For now I'd like to see if Bobby can ingrain automatisms in the 3-4-1-2. Belgium already have plenty of tactical flexibility. It's international football after all and managers have very little time to work with the team.

Also, I quite like the 3-4-3 diamond (didn't include it above). ATM De Bruyne (or Alderweireld if you'd like to shield the defence more) as the pivot, distributing the play while sitting very deep and I'd probably use Fellaini as an AM, high up the pitch, battling, knocking down the ball and handing it in to players that can do something with it, the likes of Hazard, Mertens, Carrasco, Dembele, Nainggolan, et al. When Tielemans comes good he'd also be suited as the pivot (great passing range and vision plus he should fare well defensively once he's stronger).

Against hard opposition (mainly favourites like Germany, Brazil, France, Spain, ...), the players are comfortable in a 4-2-3-1 and it offers more stability. Hey-ho, Russia2018 will be the first tournament where Belgium can field an XI with nothing but players in their prime. So fvck it. If we go down I'd rather we go down fighting. A bit like that Brazil v Belgium game in 2002 (the only time these two faced each other at the World Cup). Belgium didn't sit back despite the massive chasm of quality between a mediocre Belgian side and eventual world champions Brazil (so much talent on that Brazil WC2002 squad). Could have even taken the lead if that Wilmots goal wasn't disallowed (poor call from the ref) and then revert back to butt-cheek-clenching, forehead-sweating, counter-attacking "football" (although I credit sides that try to play even when outclassed on paper; the difference, on paper, between Belgium and Brazil in 2002 was vast, on the pitch it was a much closer game though). Anyway, I'd still go with 3-4-1-2 or even a very direct (counter-)attacking 3-4-2-1. No advanced build-up play (that's hard anyway when managers see so little of their players), mainly letting the wingbacks carry the ball or have the likes of Alderweireld and KDB hit their longer passes. As you'd expect to see less of the ball playing against a side favoured to win Belgium should be able to capitalize from their ability to transition quickly. TBF under a manager like Bobby Belgium will concede goals. Might as well go all out on the attack. Football is boring so I wouldn't mind a side that holds nothing back, offence being the best defence sort of thing.

PS not asking you to write an essay like I did, @-JMH-. Yet it would be nice to know how you'd set up Belgium, maybe add a few words so I can understand your reasoning. Most of our players can be found on here.

PPS @thorgan lesar I like to know how you would set up Belgium as well (assuming all players are fully fit and in top form; so not limited to the upcoming qualifiers). It's the international break after all.

PPPS every time Bobby calls up players I get the feeling this is his most defensive line-up:

qNEoh7Q.jpg

31 minutes ago, 1000dB said:

How would you set up Belgium (assuming all players are fully fit and in top form)?

Since Bobby took over we haven't played 4-2-3-1 much but the team shouldn't have any problems with it (nor with 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1). Mind you we don't have many natural FBs, especially on the left. At club level I've seen/heard some positive things from/about J.Lukaku (didn't follow Lazio much last season though). Recently he also provided the assist for the winning goal in the super cup against Juve but it always scares me when he plays for country (unless it's against a minnow like Andorra).

We often face (much) weaker opposition, e.g. Gibraltar are next and with all due respect Greece, even though it's their right to play like relegation fodder, are a pain in the ass to break down (even when committing lots of bodies to our attack). Feel free to set Belgium up to face top opponents, like Brazil (I'm guessing that's where you're from), and/or weaker ones.

Against soft opposition I'd go with one of these:

nKXU1rd.jpg

7zklyF1.jpg

Both formations allow you to fit in the best players (without putting a square peg in a round hole). It's hard to fit in Dembele as well. You'd have to drop one of KDB, Nainggolan or maybe Mertens (the latter if you play Nainggolan or KDB higher up the pitch; unlike Pep asks of KDB at club level). These 3 guys can't stop scoring/assisting and usually do well for Belgium. To be clear I'm perfectly fine with Nainggolan and Dembele in midfield, no matter who Belgium face really, but less so with KDB and Dembele (against weaker teams KDB and Dembele is also fine though). For me, Nainggolan is a nailed on starter and I'd build the team around KDB (let him direct play from deep and somewhat limit the freedom Nainggolan receives at club level unless he's used as an AM). For now I'd like to see if Bobby can ingrain automatisms in the 3-4-1-2. Belgium already have plenty of tactical flexibility. It's international football after all and managers have very little time to work with the team.

Also, I quite like the 3-4-3 diamond (didn't include it above). ATM De Bruyne (or Alderweireld if you'd like to shield the defence more) as the pivot, distributing the play while sitting very deep and I'd probably use Fellaini as an AM, high up the pitch, battling, knocking down the ball and handing it in to players that can do something with it, the likes of Hazard, Mertens, Carrasco, Dembele, Nainggolan, et al. When Tielemans comes good he'd also be suited as the pivot (great passing range and vision plus he should fare well defensively once he's stronger).

Against hard opposition (mainly favourites like Germany, Brazil, France, Spain, ...), the players are comfortable in a 4-2-3-1 and it offers more stability. Hey-ho, Russia2018 will be the first tournament where Belgium can field an XI with nothing but players in their prime. So fvck it. If we go down I'd rather we go down fighting. A bit like that Brazil v Belgium game in 2002 (the only time these two faced each other at the World Cup). Belgium didn't sit back despite the massive chasm of quality between a mediocre Belgian side and eventual world champions Brazil (so much talent on that Brazil WC2002 squad). Could have even taken the lead if that Wilmots goal wasn't disallowed (poor call from the ref) and then revert back to butt-cheek-clenching, forehead-sweating, counter-attacking "football" (although I credit sides that try to play even when outclassed on paper; the difference, on paper, between Belgium and Brazil in 2002 was vast, on the pitch it was a much closer game though). Anyway, I'd still go with 3-4-1-2 or even a very direct (counter-)attacking 3-4-2-1. No advanced build-up play (that's hard anyway when managers see so little of their players), mainly letting the wingbacks carry the ball or have the likes of Alderweireld and KDB hit their longer passes. As you'd expect to see less of the ball playing against a side favoured to win Belgium should be able to capitalize from their ability to transition quickly. TBF under a manager like Bobby Belgium will concede goals. Might as well go all out on the attack. Football is boring so I wouldn't mind a side that holds nothing back, offence being the best defence sort of thing.

PS not asking you to write an essay like I did, @-JMH-. Yet it would be nice to know how you'd set up Belgium, maybe add a few words so I can understand your reasoning. Most of our players can be found on here.

PPS @thorgan lesar I like to know how you would set up Belgium as well (assuming all players are fully fit and in top form; so not limited to the upcoming qualifiers). It's the international break after all.

PPPS every time Bobby calls up players I get the feeling this is his most defensive line-up:

qNEoh7Q.jpg

Belgium 4-3-3 football formation

Or

2 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

Or

IMO Fellaini is a good option from the bench and I'd only consider starting with him in case of a terrible mismatch that he can profit from. When everybody is on song I'd argue he wouldn't be in our best starting line-up. Again, Nainggolan is nailed on for me so somebody else would have to be dropped/subbed out. Hoofing it up to Fellaini is a crude plan B but hey-ho playing opportunistically is a viable and even effective "plan" in the international game. When Fellaini is on I'd like to see him mainly involved in the attacking 3rd, either making lots of runs into the box or moving him a line up (sort of a target man with more agile players surrounding him).

Belgians in Abroad

England

Manchester United – Leicester City 2-0

2-0 Fellaini

Chelsea – Everton FC 2-0

Clean sheet for Thibaut Courtois

Germany

Eintracht Frankfurt – VFL Wolfsburg 0-1

First time as a starter for Landry Dimata (VFL Wolfsburg)

Clean sheet for Koen Casteels

Borussia Mönchengladbach – FC Köln 1-0

Back from injury – Thorgan Hazard (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Italy

SSC Napoli – Atalanta 3-1

2-1 Mertens + assist for the 3-1

AS Roma – Internazionale 1-3

Assist for Radja Nainggolan for the 1-0

France

PSG – Saint-Etienne 3-0

First game this season for Thomas Meunier (PSG) + assist for the 3-0

Spain

Las Palmas – Atlético Madrid 1-5

0-2 Carrasco + assist for the 1-4 and the 1-5

TOP 3

1) Yannick CarrascoAfbeeldingsresultaten voor yannick carrasco

2) Dries Mertens

Afbeeldingsresultaten voor Dries Mertens

3) Thibaut Courtois

Afbeeldingsresultaten voor thibaut courtois

22 hours ago, 1000dB said:

IMO Fellaini is a good option from the bench and I'd only consider starting with him in case of a terrible mismatch that he can profit from. When everybody is on song I'd argue he wouldn't be in our best starting line-up. Again, Nainggolan is nailed on for me so somebody else would have to be dropped/subbed out. Hoofing it up to Fellaini is a crude plan B but hey-ho playing opportunistically is a viable and even effective "plan" in the international game. When Fellaini is on I'd like to see him mainly involved in the attacking 3rd, either making lots of runs into the box or moving him a line up (sort of a target man with more agile players surrounding him).

There is Always critic that our midfield is too slow. The times that Fellaini played on the "6" in Manchester, he didn't disappointed. He's very important, because he is fast with his feets. Nainggolan his style of playing is too much on the offensive side, then the defending side. We need a real "6" in our 3-4-3. In my eyes this is a position for Axel Witsel, Marouane Fellaini or Leander Dendoncker. You can't play with Witsel and Fellaini. On this way you can't dominate the game in my eyes. So one of these 3 is the nr. 6, with possibility for Mousa Dembélé maybe. You can't use Nainggolan on the 10, because that will take his qualities away. His position is the "8" and nothing else.

Sorry for my bad english.

3 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

There is Always critic that our midfield is too slow. The times that Fellaini played on the "6" in Manchester, he didn't disappointed. He's very important, because he is fast with his feets. Nainggolan his style of playing is too much on the offensive side, then the defending side. We need a real "6" in our 3-4-3. In my eyes this is a position for Axel Witsel, Marouane Fellaini or Leander Dendoncker. You can't play with Witsel and Fellaini. On this way you can't dominate the game in my eyes. So one of these 3 is the nr. 6, with possibility for Mousa Dembélé maybe. You can't use Nainggolan on the 10, because that will take his qualities away. His position is the "8" and nothing else.

Sorry for my bad english.

The old destroyer type 6s have left the game (no more window wipers that only move to their left or to their right). I don't know if you meant that type of player when talking about "we need a real "6" in our 3-4-3". Besides neither Witsel, Fellaini nor Dembele are out-and-out 6s, they're all hybrids, while Dendoncker needs to gain experience in a bigger league/at top level. I'd still go with Witsel as the most defensive-minded midfielder over the others (yet I'd like to see less of him). Witsel has proven to possess the most tactical discipline for the holding role. Fellaini is much more useful further up the pitch (he should be making runs into the box as much as possible) and not really that good at shielding the back line as you'd expect from a holding midfielder (at Man utd he has received lots and lots of crap for his defensive interventions, he's an accident waiting to happen when defending in your own box but OTOH he often comes through in the attacking 3rd, for Belgium he even was our top scorer for a while).

In the past Nainggolan wasn't asked to be as attack-minded (Spalletti often used him as an attacking midfielder last season and it was a massive success but yes naturally he's a box-to-box midfielder, in a previous post I've even called him one of, if not, the best box-to-box midfielder in the game today). In the past Radja did a lot of defensive work, also has been used as a DM for a fair bit, and today he still covers every blade of grass on the pitch either as a box-to-box or an attacking midfielder. He won't neglect his defensive duties if that's what's required of him. He's one of the best ball-winning midfielders in the world ffs and with Bobby, Kompany, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, KDB, et al. down his ear he won't switch off/allow himself to get dragged away.

During Wilmots's tenure I grew tired of his defensive midfield with zero creativity and "possession" attitude. Wilmots was too stubborn or scared to abandon his solidity fetish and he never really used the quality at his disposal. He'd rather have the ball all game long with static, sterile play and fail to create a single solid opportunity than risk giving up chances to our opponents. Despite his focus on a possession-heavy midfield and slow play our opponents could still score. Yet at the same time we were too static to do anything about it. He could and should have brought down hell on the defences of our opponents. So many managers are doing so much more with a lot less quality.

With Nainggolan + KDB you add much needed creativity in midfield and lightning-fast transitions are guaranteed while up front you have players that are more than capable to take advantage. If you feel that's too weak defensively, I already said I'm perfectly fine with Dembele + Nainggolan patrolling the midfield (and Fellaini getting the odd nod in case of a mismatch). I'm unwilling to make any further compromises. I'd rather err on the side of attractive football. We'll just have to agree to disagree.