Last night, the Belgian FA announced they were going to start routinely fining those who openly questioned the referees' integrity. Today, the federal police questioned 2 referees for matchfixing in a large ongoing investigation. Haha.

In doubt of the integrity of the ref? Fined!

The Pro League thinks the integrity of the referees is being questioned too often. That's why they've made a concrete proposal to fine players, staff members or chairmen who openly doubt the good intentions of a ref. Initially, they only meant to stick with an ethical code, but not every club deemed that effective enough. The Pro League aspires to create a more serene environment for their referees with this measure.

@TMCosta Turns out the Portuguese league isn't the only one with drama. Please, watch our league.

49 minutes ago, 1000dB said:

Last night, the Belgian FA announced they were going to start routinely fining those who openly questioned the referees' integrity. Today, the federal police questioned 2 referees for matchfixing in a large ongoing investigation. Haha.

@TMCosta Turns out the Portuguese league isn't the only one with drama. Please, watch our league.

This is just the beginning...

14 hours ago, 1000dB said:

The Jamaican FA are adamant that Bailey's future as a full international hasn't been sorted. He won't play for Jamaica ATM. So nothing has changed and, probably, Bailey's dad is still making demands (JFF are in discussions with the player).

https://www.sportsmax.tv/index.php/football/regional/item/20457-jff-rubbishes-report-that-leo-bailey-will-play-for-reggae-boyz

@TMCosta why give my previous post a "haha"? In older posts I've said I'm not in favour of Bailey (possibly) joining Belgium. I said so, repeatedly, since Bailey first claimed he wanted to play for Belgium. Besides it sounded like he wanted to join England, last I heard. England however is off the cards and for Belgium or Germany it depends on the residency rule. In case he kept his residence in Belgium, he'll have wait 22 months before he's be eligible (on his 23rd birthday). I guess one of these international breaks he'll finally join Jamaica.

Nothing special heheh just funny cause he "picked" the worst ;)

18 hours ago, 1000dB said:

17 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

This is just the beginning...

Pffff thats nothing LOL:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/sports/soccer/benfica-leak.html.

2 crimes from Benfica

79 crimes from their legal advisor including access to confidential informations (courts, referees grades..)

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/benfica/detalhe/benfica-ja-foi-notificado-sad-esta-acusada-de-dois-crimes-e-paulo-goncalves-de-79

@TMCosta yea I know there's some serious sh1tflinging going on in Portugal.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/10/10/sports/soccer/10reuters-soccer-fraud-belgium.html

In the Pro League scandal referee grades were also fiddled with (+ "gifts", e.g. cars). The two referees are facing charges and most likely will never ref again. The matchfixing charges cover two games in last season's relegation battle. Mechelen somehow managed to still get relegated while in both of those fixed games the results went their way. FYI Mechelen and Eupen ended that season bottom, level on points and Mechelen were only one goal worse off. Eupen players had been spotted at the bookies, even in their club's training kit, LMAO. Last season, more than the one before (with very shady games v. Kortrijk and Standard), Mouscron reeked (allowing Eupen to score 4 goals in only 17' in a match that looked crooked as hell). Eupen's and Mouscron's relegation battle in previous seasons might reek but the culprits in the previous season seem to be Mechelen.

It sounds like the scandal is mainly about shady agents (tax evasion and money-laundering). Hopefully the way agents do business in Belgium will be regulated better/cleaned up. Bayat and Veljkovic, the two agents that are facing charges, seem to be close to the Pozzo's (owners of Watford and a couple of other clubs). Quite a few players went to Watford but e.g. Dendoncker went to Wolves instead. Veljkovic, focusing on Eastern Europe with the likes of Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (actually every -ic), could also be involved in Bailey's shady past, back when he moved to AS Trencin (because he wasn't 18yo and couldn't sign for Ajax or Genk). It wouldn't be a big surprise considering the stories I've heard about Bailey and his dad/agent. Genk is one of the clubs that allegedly cooperated with Veljkovic.

Leko (current Brugge manager and reportedly helped into that position by Veljkovic) could very well be clean but some of his pay when he was at OHL is being looked at. OHL (taken over by Leicester's owners) is the club that was implicated during the sting operation that cost Allardyce's job. Their CEO resigned after that scandal. The transfer dealings at almost every first division A club are being looked at but that's because Bayat, and to a lesser extent Veljkovic, were virtually omnipresent in Pro League transfers. If Leko was involved he could still be in trouble.

I was expecting D'Onofrio's name to pop up. He's sort of a Mendes 1.0 (actually there have been contacts between the two), he was Zidane's agent (back when he was playing) and he has been sentenced before. Maybe they'll look at Standard's older deals as well, especially the Mangala deal was fishy.

TL;DR: the scandal is about two agents (that allegedly were involved in money-laundering/tax evasion) and Mechelen's two fixed games. Agents and their shady business is a massive problem in football. Better regulation of agents is needed. Silver lining the mess will be cleaned up in Belgium, the scandal forces authorities and football-loving Belgium to act asap.