Brazil Serie A - Campeonato Brasileiro - News & Player Discussions

7 minutes ago, -JMH- said:

Time wont permit me to write an article, but as Tite eludes to, Brazil is not about an individual, it should play as a unit. As Tite has said in the interview, ideas from European coaching have been implemented, as well as fitness levels taken more seriously. This results in a Brazil side that will harass, press, be more aggressive.

First of all, thanks. The bolded bit makes me think of Tite's Corinthians side that won the CWC against Chelsea. Despite Brazil being a far more dominant team, or at least that's what I expect from them in Russia, I was wondering if there are any parallels. I saw Tite selecting players with a Corinthians past but maybe that's just confirmation bias. Argentina's trainwreck in qualifying drew my attention so I haven't seen much of Brazil. I'm planning on having a closer look at Brazil ahead of Russia.

7 minutes ago, -JMH- said:

Tite has developed a mantra of 'Dont rely on Neymar', take him out of the spotlight by putting players around him capable of making things happen. Brazils problems were well documented at the last World Cup. Lack of a centre forward. But now with this fluid front 3 if not 4, they have a number of players who can take and finish a chance.

Paulinho, Willian, Renato Augusto - were definantely not favourites in Europe/outside Brazil but outstanding team players for the Selecao. Will do the hard running, dirty work and create

We will see the form of Firmino & hopefully Coutinho pushing for places too. There is great strength in depth now

What could be scary is the plays used by the Rio 16 team. It wasnt working in the group stages, and in comes this magician Luan, and transforms it. What Brazil now have is a Plan B, a Plan C.

Further strengths will be the goalkeeper. They have 2 keepers playing at the highest level - Ederson & Alisson. 2014 you had 2 domestic based (Victor & Jefferson) and Julio Cesar at No.1  with a spell at QPR & Toronto behind him

A few quick thoughts and oversight!

Paulinho not working out for Spurs and moving to China saw his star wane but early this season he started cleaning up his reputation at club level. Willian might not be a favourite but he definitely isn't thought of as a poor player either and the effort he puts in has often received plaudits in England.

Is Renato Augusto expected to add creativity in midfield? 4-1-4-1 with Casemiro shielding the back four and Paulinho as a box-to-box midfielder allows for an attack-minded/creative player operating in central areas. I'd let you be the judge if Coutinho could fit in there. I don't follow Liverpool that much but hasn't he been used in a deeper role from time to time? Of course, there's no need to fix what's already working. Funneling Brazil's attacks into a dead end will always be difficult regardless if you add creativity to midfield. Just curious how Tite will approach the group games and who'll get into the starting line-up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

would be a good bet. 83 or even 84. & Michel to 83 Had interest from Europe in August, since then been injured with a crucial ligament & Sport staring at relegation.  He wont

This is the Brasileirão best XI of foreign players, according to stats site Footstats

Id sell both. FLU loaned in MARLON from the 2nd division to play LB. Freitas is a rotation player, him and Leo Pele were more used when FLU had continential fixtures in the 1st half of the season

Posted Images

In Flemish we also use the word "Craque" and it roughly translates to genius (in the context of athletes, artists or highly skilled craft workers), a top quality player.

It sounds like hat Arthur fella will move to Barca. How far along is he in his development? Is he ready to start for a big club or does he need a step or two?

23 hours ago, 1000dB said:

First of all, thanks. The bolded bit makes me think of Tite's Corinthians side that won the CWC against Chelsea. Despite Brazil being a far more dominant team, or at least that's what I expect from them in Russia, I was wondering if there are any parallels. I saw Tite selecting players with a Corinthians past but maybe that's just confirmation bias. Argentina's trainwreck in qualifying drew my attention so I haven't seen much of Brazil. I'm planning on having a closer look at Brazil ahead of Russia.

You would be correct. Has definitely drawn on European tactics, and yes as you saw in that great Corinth side. Some of the players in that side break the mold of 'traditional' Brazilian player, your main example is Paulinho. Box to box, can tackle and can score goals. Brazil have lacked 'great' DM/CMs since Gilberto Silva, Casemiro fulfils the role of DM, with Paulinho the asset in the middle CM position. Ive raved about Paulinho for ages, his Spurs move did cast a shadow over him, but ultimately he wasnt not used to his strengths.

Paulinho not working out for Spurs and moving to China saw his star wane but early this season he started cleaning up his reputation at club level. Willian might not be a favourite but he definitely isn't thought of as a poor player either and the effort he puts in has often received plaudits in England.

Is Renato Augusto expected to add creativity in midfield? 4-1-4-1 with Casemiro shielding the back four and Paulinho as a box-to-box midfielder allows for an attack-minded/creative player operating in central areas. I'd let you be the judge if Coutinho could fit in there. I don't follow Liverpool that much but hasn't he been used in a deeper role from time to time? Of course, there's no need to fix what's already working. Funneling Brazil's attacks into a dead end will always be difficult regardless if you add creativity to midfield. Just curious how Tite will approach the group games and who'll get into the starting line-up.

Paulinho, Willian - these are again a breed of Brazilian not really seen. Workhorses. Tite utilises them as the men to do the hard running. Renato Augusto, read here:

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/89321_renato_augusto-not_brazil___s_best_player__but_certainly_they___re_most_indispensable.html

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/y=2016/m=8/news=renato-augusto-more-than-just-a-midfielder-2823049.html

He is the metronome that makes everything tick. He is the first name on Tite's team sheet. But, due to his skillset, it would be catastrophic should he pick up an injury etc and miss the competition.

The set up is something like this: 2 2 1 2 2 1 1. 

2 CB, Miranda, Marquinhos

2 Wingbacks, Dani Alves, Marcelo

1 Shield, Casemiro

2 CM, Renato Augusto, Paulinho

1 AM, Coutinho

Neymar free role,

CF. Gabriel Jesus

Very narrow, no wingers, fullbacks are the width. Paulinho/Augusto dovetail when one is forward, one covers.

Team of the season decided for the Bola de Oruo gala ( Sports Journalists awards ), the traditional awards for the season end.

Bola de Plata (Silver Ball) best rated XI

GK Vanderlei; 

Fagner, Geromel, Balbuena and Thiago Carleto; 

Michel, Hernanes, Dudu 

Thiago Neves; Luan and Jo

Jo wins player of the season, after being joint top scorer with Henrique Dourado.

Elsewhere, Gustavo Scarpa , top assist maker, also is recognised as he is the only outfield player to play in every one of the 38 matches. He started 37. 

57 minutes ago, ombarcagunners said:

worth buying?

One to keep an eye on. His team (Sao Paolo) were poor this season but he was very impressive. He has good positioning, tackling and technical ability for a defender. Juventus and other top clubs are following him closely. Here's a Youtube video about him: 

Eder Militao will start as Sao's RB for the time being. He has done well as the trusted alternatives at the start of the season (Buffarini & Bruno) have been poor and in all Sao have had a woeful campaign, only really covered up by the rally at the end.

Eder is a centre back by trade -  his skillset observed above by @Ahmed , can also play DM so is versatile.

A defensive player at fullback - now that is a rarity in Brazil. 

Next season will be interesting, Eder, Junior Taveres (if he isnt at Corinthians), Shaylon, Marquinhos Cipriano, Brenner, Araruna, Lucas Fernandes, Marcos Guilherme, all young jewels that can help rebuild a strong challenging side - who have former club icon and World Cup winning captain Rai now on the board of directors.

Verissimo looked at by Stuttgart and Rumours in Brazil press by Juventus too.

6'2" tidy CB who started the season Dow the pecking order but spent much time in the gym last Christmas and took his chance due to injuries and could not be shifted from the first team. He will have a good future as always if he can stay injury free. A determined boy who will not slack and plans to maintain a good level of fitness on the upcoming break.

Finished the season as Santos best defender. If he gets 83 in a few day will go to 2.4m so not that profitable clearly worth more than SM at present

On 17/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, tupac_healy said:

Some massive rises for Fluiminense this morn! 

FREITAS worth keeping after a +12 or time to cash in?

On 18/12/2017 at 12:18 AM, azoT93 said:

-JMH- would you keep Leo Pele after this big rise?

Id sell both. FLU loaned in MARLON from the 2nd division to play LB.

Freitas is a rotation player, him and Leo Pele were more used when FLU had continential fixtures in the 1st half of the season

Both you can buy back should things drastically change at FLU.

15 hours ago, jgos2 said:

Verissimo looked at by Stuttgart and Rumours in Brazil press by Juventus too.

6'2" tidy CB who started the season Dow the pecking order but spent much time in the gym last Christmas and took his chance due to injuries and could not be shifted from the first team. He will have a good future as always if he can stay injury free. A determined boy who will not slack and plans to maintain a good level of fitness on the upcoming break.

Finished the season as Santos best defender. If he gets 83 in a few day will go to 2.4m so not that profitable clearly worth more than SM at present

Extended his contract to 2022, youll get a nice profit but id sell after for now.

Santos had terrible luck with injuries to centre backs this season, once all fit unsure who will be the number 1 pairing. I would think Braz & Gustavo Henrique

After his rise to 88, and named top scorer and golden ball player of Serie A, Jo is reported now set to move to J2 playoff winners, Nagoya Grampus.

Junior Dutra has arrived as cover

A few of the bigger name strikers are involved in a merry go round...

Elsewhere, FRED signs at Cruzeiro,

Ricardo Oliveira swaps Santos for Ath Mineiro

Roger of Ath Mineiro goes to Internacional,

Palmeiras add Weverton as GK, and swap Roger Guedes, Arouca and a possibly Joao Pedro for Marcos Rocha (Ath Mineiro)

Sao Paulo bring in Jean (Bahia) as GK

What caught my eye today

Fluminense released 8 players in a cost cutting exercise including, Diego Cavalieri ( ex Liverpool) Marquino (ex Roma) captain Henrique (ex Barcelona) and two former wonderkids Wellington Silva (THAT one who went to Arsenal) and Robert ( again ex Barca, was the supposed to be the greatest number 10 of his generation)