Trying To Get It Right - My Arsenal Team

I'm in my third season with my Gunners side. I do believe I've got some brilliant players and overall a quality team.

My current form is :

P W D L

27 10 13 4

Now I've tried various tactics over the three seasons giving each one some time to fit in but it always takes a nose dive and I end up reverting to the default for the whole tactic setup.

At the moment my current team style is :

Tackling Style : Normal

Mentality : Normal Attacking [changed it for my last game & onwards]

Passing Style : Mixed

Attacking Style : Mixed

Tempo : Normal

Pressing : All Over

and I'm using Counter-Attack and Have just changed to using a Target man.

Here are the player's I've got, I'll list them because the whole reason I'm posting this is to get advice on how to get the best out of my team. I'm stuck around about 6th - 10th place, 7th at the moment though.

Shay Given [GK]

M De Sanctis [GK]

Gael Clichy [LB]

Gareth Bale [LB]

Cristian Zaccardo [RB/CB]

Nemanja Vidic [CB]

Juan [CB]

Breno [RB/CB]

William Gallas [D]

Tomas Ujfalusi [D]

Marco Caneira [D]

Shunsuke Nakamura [RM/AM]

Aleksandr Hleb [on loan - RM/AM]

Luciano Galletti [on loan - RM/AM]

David Pizarro [CM]

Seydou Keita [CM/LM]

Nuno Maniche [CM/RM]

Mathieu Bodmer [CM/CB]

Renato Augusto [CM/AM]

Tomas Rosicky [AM/LM]

Andres D'Alessandro [AM/LM]

Niko Kranjcar [AM/LM]

Turan Arda [AM/W]

Kader Keita [W/F]

Martin Petrov [W/F]

Carlos Tevez [F/AM]

Nicolas Anelka [F]

Vagner Love [F]

Sanli Tuncay [F/W]

Ezequiel Lavezzi [F]

Like I said, the team keeps underachieving.

I mean look at this :

Season League Pos

2 Division 1 6th

1 Division 1 15th

and again, currently after 27 games I'm in 7th and I doubt that will get any better unless I change things.

So my question to other forum members is can you give me some advice on perhaps how I should tactically change the team [playing a 4-4-2 atm] or how I should change my team style, maybe to suit my forwards perhaps or a faster style of play or maybe even slower !?

But one thing I want to say though. I have been keeping an eye on other teams results, particularly those of unmanaged teams. I have noticed that they all use the default tactics / team style etc etc, they have in my league between 17 & 22 players in some cases and they go out week in week out and beat even managed teams with amazing players.

So how can it be that for example my team using all defaults playing against an unmanaged / managed team with much lesser quality players and lower rated players [ in some cases] can only come away with a draw.

The unmanaged teams in my league are kicking arse against managed teams with brilliant high rated players, these unmanaged teams, Werder Bremen for example only has 17 players but they are doing amazing, Atletico are the same, they are both above me in my league for gods sake with 17 players each !

The whole game structure in this sense does not make any sense to me.

Anyway if anyone can advise me on the way forward all round I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm fed up logging in to find yet another draw.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Trying To Get It Right - My Arsenal Team

Hey. I'm pretty new at this game, but i have been watching football for a while and i became somewhat of a manager. What i like to do is look at the players and identify the strengths first, then fill in the weaknesses with transfers. You mentioned that you already have a great team, so that's all good.

The next thing to do is check your formation. You didn't post your formation, but from the looks of it, you have a lot of MFs. I would put them in a formation that uses a lot of MFs and change your teams style to attacking down the wings.

Then, check your defenders. Are your defenders highly rated enough to use a Flat Three and have enough control to be able to use a pressing defense? If not, you can transfer some more DFs and change to a Defensive mentality with a formation with four DFs. THen change your style to counter-attack. If this is what you want, then i would recommend the 4-3-1-2, and put your tempo on fast to make the counter-attack work.

Well, i talked too much. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the formation is mentioned in the original post but again it's 4-4-2. The first thing I'm going to say is that since posting this thread, I mentioned I started using a target man, well it seems to be useless as the target man never get's as much of the ball as he should, either because the midfield don't get it to him or for other reasons, I don't know.

However in saying that, my strikers have started scoring more, more the striker who is NOT set to target man oddly enough. I'm upto 5th now and haven't changed anything tactically since posting my original message.

Just looking over some basic stats it seems I've won 4 games and lost 1 since posting this topic which isn't that bad actually. What I might do is try using a 4-5-1 in cup/league games and see if my team can play like that, though the problem with that is too many players will be unfit for league games which might prove tricky to accommodate.

I've definitely got the defenders, when you look at it ;

Gael Clichy [LB], Gareth Bale [LB], Cristian Zaccardo [RB/CB], Nemanja Vidic [CB], Juan [CB], Breno [RB/CB], William Gallas [D], Tomas Ujfalusi [D], Marco Caneira [D]. Shay Given has been dropped and De Sanctis has become number 1 now and is doing really good I think.

Quite honestly I think the problem is with how the whole " game " engine runs but that's for another topic.

My season is nearly over now, winning the league is actually a possibility although again with this game / team chances are I'll probably not win however a finish in the top 5 is a high chance.

You didn't talk too much though chubakaman.

Hmm... that's interesting. Maybe by using the target man, the target man maybe drew a few marks off of other players which result in the others scoring more. Well, it seems that my advice was pretty much useless if your current tactics work. One thing: Don't change formations if its working well.

• 1 month later...

Update: New Season - Same Results

Hi again.

I'm now into my fourth season and I'm still having a hard time getting ANY tactical stuff working for me.

I've brought in new players in various positions, I've tried various formations and different Team Styles all to no avail. It just isn't happening for me.

Now this is my current team :

DE SANCTIS, Morgan G

OCHOA, Francisco Guillermo G

CLICHY, Gael LB

GOKHAN , Gonul RB

ZACCARDO, Cristian RB/CB

JUAN, Silveira CB

BRENO , Vinicius CB/RB

TOURE, Kolo CB/RB

VIDIC, Nemanja CB

GALLAS, William D

HLEB, Aleksandr RM/AM

RAUL GARCIA, Escudero CM

RENATO AUGUSTO, Soares CM/AM

KEITA, Seydou CM/LM

NOCERINO, Antonio CM/DM

PIZARRO, David CM/DM

JIMENEZ, Luis AM/RM

ROSICKY, Tomas AM/LM

KRANJCAR, Niko AM/LM

ARDA, Turan AM/W

RAKITIC, Ivan AM/W

ROSINA, Alessandro W/AM

PETROV, Martin W/F

KEITA, Kader W/F

ANELKA, Nicolas F

DI NATALE, Antonio F

VÁGNER LOVE, Silva F

TEVEZ, Carlos F/AM

SUAREZ, Luis F

SUAZO, David CF

FERNANDO TORRES, José CF [on loan]

As for my formation I've gone back to 4-4-2. I literally tried most other formations with various styles of play and nothing worked.

Last season was season three with my Arsenal team and this is the season end stats :

Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts

7 Arsenal 38 15 15 8 70 47 23 60

15 wins and 15 draws is absolutely ridiculous for a team like mine but no formation has helped whatsoever. Now I'm going to make a bold statement here, I honestly believe that my problems are not solely related to my formation but rather how the " game " actually plays, that is to say how the " match engine " actually works. I play against unmanaged teams who have 17 players who are all unfit and they still either draw or worse still beat me and they all use the basic 4-4-2 formation with default team style.

It's just so stupid at times but I could use more help on how to improve my teams scoring and winning record.

This is season 4 and this is the current stats :

8 Arsenal 10 4 3 3 13 12 1 15

My team has played 10 games and the only scorers on my team so far are ; Tevez with 3 goals, Pizarro with 2, Torres with 2, Rosicky with 2, Vagner Love / Vidic / Gallas all with 1 goal each.

Clearly my strikers are not scoring / scoring enough nor are my midfielder players.

Current formation is 4-4-1-1 - Team Style is :

Tackling : Hard

Mentality just changed to : Attacking

Passing : Mixed

Attacking style : Mixed

Tempo : Normal

Pressing : All Over

with tight marking and target man. Target man is set to the striker who plays just behind the main striker.

I've tried fielding all my highest rated players, I've tried mixing it up a bit, I've tried playing some of my younger 70/80+ rated players in amongst higher rated players and NOTHING works.

Now, and I cannot stress this enough, I NEED some help badly to get thing's going please. I am sick fed up of signing into SM to find my team has lost or drawn again and again. I have 3 set ups with some of the same players and on the other set ups they play better. I used to use the same formation and team style in them all but the Arsenal one just starts flagging and it all gives up.

Where am I going wrong ? What else can I do to better my chances of winning and scoring ?

Sorry for the long post I'm just getting so cheesed off with it all now, and thanks in advance for any help given to me.

ETA: I meant to add that I have been playing all players in there MAIN positions I don't play them in their " secondary " positions.

ok heres what i use, using this formation and tactics has given me 8 wins out of 9 games for my bolton side (not been managing long) and im on a 12 game win streak with my FC schalke side with about 19 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses overall (losses and draws came early on when i was new to game and was sorting out tactics and formations etc..)

ok so use 3-5-2

----------------G--------------

RB/D-----------CB/D------------LB/D

---------------DM-------------

RM/W----CM---------CM------LM/W

---------CF/F-------CF/F-------

now try to fill these positions with the highest rated players you have.

note: AM's can be used where cm is but usually wont play to full potential, i use them only when i have injuries.

ok so for tactics i use:

Tackling Style: hard

Mentality: defensive or very defensive (use v defensive for teams a lot better then you)

Passing Style: mixed

Attacking Style: through the middle

Tempo: slow

Pressing: own half

Counter-Attack: not ticked

Men Behind Ball: not ticked

Tight Marking: not ticked

Play Offside: not ticked

Use Play Maker: optional (i dont use but you can if you want, usually best to put your highest rated midfielder as the play maker)

Use Target Man: not ticked

post back here with feedback on how you get on, you should do very well.

Right mate, this hould get you winning again bud;)

Ochoa

Gallas Toure Vidic Juan

Rosicky Pizzaro Keita

Di Natale

Torres Teves

( swap with Vangor love at end of loan)

45 mins swap teves with love

75 mins swap juan with clichy

Only 2!!

Tackling Style :Hard

Teimpo @ fast

Mentality :attacking

passing :mixed

All over

That should win u games

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate the quite quick replies. Will take what both of you have said and give them ago and see how it goes. With the next game on Sunday and one midweek I might give both a try to see how they fair with my team. I'll let you both know how I get on with that.

and if anyone else has anything else to add please feel free to add your ideas.

Thanks again.

Right mate' date=' this hould get you winning again bud;)

Ochoa

Gallas Toure Vidic Juan

Rosicky Pizzaro Keita

Di Natale

Torres Teves

( swap with Vangor love at end of loan)

45 mins swap teves with love

75 mins swap juan with clichy

Only 2!!

Tackling Style :Hard

Teimpo @ fast

Mentality :attacking

passing :mixed

All over

That should win u games[/quote']

Daniel, you mention having Juan at Left Back however he is a CB, would it not be better to play either Gallas at LB or Clichy and adjust the RB accordingly ? Or will Juan play fine in the LB position ?

Tiny update.

Using the suggestion tactical stuff by (-)Daniel(-). Played three games, two league one shield. Drew the first league game 0 - 0. Won the shield game 3 - 1 and drew tonight again 1 - 1. However this hard tackling is proving a problel. In the two league games I've played now I have had one red card in both games. The shield game there was only two yellow cards.

I can't afford nor do i want to be losing a player nearly every game to a red card, that's effectively going backwards not forwards to me. So now, how do I counteract the issue of using hard tackling but having a greater chance of red cards which is what has been happening. My team are rubbish whichever way you look at it, doesn't matter what I do tactically :(

would of probably won all those games if you used my advice m8.

won all my games for both my teams since last posting on this thread and got my bolton from bottom 3 since i took over to top four now and my schalke are 13 points ahead at top of league and look to be romping it home.

would of probably won all those games if you used my advice m8.

won all my games for both my teams since last posting on this thread and got my bolton from bottom 3 since i took over to top four now and my schalke are 13 points ahead at top of league and look to be romping it home.

That's been three games now, call it unrealistic but I expected better results. After the next couple of games if I don't start winning I'll change it again.

The fact is that Soccermanager does not " play " like a proper game would, I believe, so it's virtually impossible to find a tactic that works. I've tried for 4 seasons now and for 4 seasons It's been the same load of rubbish.

Inconsistent results. Greatly inaccurate percentages of possession, not to mention the completely laughable situation that is unmanaged teams with 17 players playing every single game, but being constantly fit enough to play and even beating teams like me, or better teams within my league. That's one of the most laughable thing's about it actually.

and the funny thing is that my friend who uses the default tactic setting's and usually places lower than me and certainly doesn't have as good a squad as me, is absolutely kicking arse in our league. It's so bad it's laughable to be honest.

Soccermanager is just FAR too inconsistent in my opinion.

The other, and more important issue as well here astonvillaman is that one tactic might work for one person but not for another, at least that would be the normal way it'd work, again due to inconsistency within Soccermanager that might not even be applicable.

I don't even have any way of testing different tactics, I literally have to take a kick in the teeth and hope that whatever change I make/made pays off and I win.

The other' date=' and more important issue as well here astonvillaman is that one tactic might work for one person but not for another, at least that would be the normal way it'd work, again due to inconsistency within Soccermanager that might not even be applicable.

[/quote']

well i got 2 different squads with 2 different teams, in two different set ups (one world championship/other english championship) and im winning all my matches using the same tactics/formation.

i think you need to simplify your tactics imo, the way i look at it, you find the best players you can to fill the positions and find the best formation and tactics that will work against 90% of teams, i find 3-5-2 offers you strength in midfield over most teams as they usually go for a formation with 4 guys in midfield, this means you dominate possession meaning they cant score as the best defense is keeping possession, it also allows you to have an extra guy upfront which aids in getting goals.

to make up for the lack of guy at back i use defensive mentality which people mistakenly believe doesn't get you goals, all it does is mean you keep the ball better by passing it around and not giving it away stupidly. i also use slow tempo so my team plays to its own speed. i usually dominate shots and possession in the games i play, this is why i win most of my games i believe.

the tactics and formation your using from the other guy isn't that good as you haven't really got any advantage in midfield and with attacking mentality you leave holes in your defense, thats why you ship goals and thats why your getting red cards because your team is just bombing forward every chance they get attacking which leaves them exposed so your players need to make rash challenges sometimes to stop the other team scoring.

well i got 2 different squads with 2 different teams' date=' in two different set ups (one world championship/other english championship) and im winning all my matches using the same tactics/formation.

i think you need to simplify your tactics imo, the way i look at it, you find the best players you can to fill the positions and find the best formation and tactics that will work against 90% of teams, i find 3-5-2 offers you strength in midfield over most teams as they usually go for a formation with 4 guys in midfield, this means you dominate possession meaning they cant score as the best defense is keeping possession, it also allows you to have an extra guy upfront which aids in getting goals.

to make up for the lack of guy at back i use defensive mentality which people mistakenly believe doesn't get you goals, all it does is mean you keep the ball better by passing it around and not giving it away stupidly. i also use slow tempo so my team plays to its own speed. i usually dominate shots and possession in the games i play, this is why i win most of my games i believe.

the tactics and formation your using from the other guy isn't that good as you haven't really got any advantage in midfield and with attacking mentality you leave holes in your defense, thats why you ship goals and thats why your getting red cards because your team is just bombing forward every chance they get attacking which leaves them exposed so your players need to make rash challenges sometimes to stop the other team scoring.[/quote']

In GC7 with my Spurs I think I only lost three games with 3-5-2 and won most of them which took me to the top of the league before I lost it at the end by stupidly trying to counter the tactics or my opponents. All I changed was mentality to attacking and used a CF as a target man.. worked fine for me.. no red cards all season and didn't concede any really.. scored loads.. 100 for the league season!

Right, I've gone for the 3-5-2, I'll just add that at one time I did try this formation before but got nothing from it however I'm open to trying almost anything if it means my team finally finding the winning way !

Referring to your first post astonvillaman I've changed the tactic to that. Now you say, try to fill each position with my highest rated player, which I assume means when they are unfit to play they can be swapped with the next highest rated player yes ?

Can you also use 3 Centre Backs rather than a RB - CB - LB ? Not including the fact you can use a " D " player, as I have in this case Gallas. Does the footedness of each player REALLY have ANY effect or is it really just a visual thing ?

My highest rated midfielders, as you can see, are players who are mostly NOT CM's. But I'll stick in whoever I can fit. Is choosing the highest rated players for the team to play the biggest factor in the team winning or what ?

Cheers for the advice though.

Right' date=' I've gone for the 3-5-2, I'll just add that at one time I did try this formation before but got nothing from it however I'm open to trying almost anything if it means my team finally finding the winning way !

Referring to your first post astonvillaman I've changed the tactic to that. Now you say, try to fill each position with my highest rated player, which I assume means when they are unfit to play they can be swapped with the next highest rated player yes ?

Can you also use 3 Centre Backs rather than a RB - CB - LB ? Not including the fact you can use a " D " player, as I have in this case Gallas. Does the footedness of each player REALLY have ANY effect or is it really just a visual thing ?

My highest rated midfielders, as you can see, are players who are mostly NOT CM's. But I'll stick in whoever I can fit. Is choosing the highest rated players for the team to play the biggest factor in the team winning or what ?

[/quote']

yes swap to next highest rated.

ive never tried 3 CB but ive heard it can be done, i guess you must test this yourself but id say its best to stick with rb - cb - lb and only use cb in other positions if injuries/suspensions etc... happen.

i would say it would be best to maybe sell those AM you dont need and buy highly rated CM then....i only use AM if i got injuries/suspensions to my CM etc...they usually dont play to there best in CM.

the way i work it with the rating system is i directly match my players against the teams im playing, so say for instance my midfield consists of 4 players (this is only an example, as i said i play 5 in midfield) and each is 91, 92, 92, 90 and they go up against another midfield of someone playing 4 players of 90, 92, 91, 90. my midfield would be better placed then theres when each position is directly compared to the others.

i also believe the average rating has a slight effect on the results aswell, thats why i say play your highest rated in correct positions, as the more higher rated players you put in your average goes up.

this is why you usually thrash teams in lower leagues when playing in the cups, as your so more highly rated then they are on average and in each individual position, my best ever result was a 11-1 game against a team with an average rating of over ten less then mine, i wasn't even playing my full strength 1st team either.

yes swap to next highest rated.

ive never tried 3 CB but ive heard it can be done' date=' i guess you must test this yourself but id say its best to stick with rb - cb - lb and only use cb in other positions if injuries/suspensions etc... happen.

i would say it would be best to maybe sell those AM you dont need and buy highly rated CM then....i only use AM if i got injuries/suspensions to my CM etc...they usually dont play to there best in CM.

the way i work it with the rating system is i directly match my players against the teams im playing, so say for instance my midfield consists of 4 players (this is only an example, as i said i play 5 in midfield) and each is 91, 92, 92, 90 and they go up against another midfield of someone playing 4 players of 90, 92, 91, 90. my midfield would be better placed then theres when each position is directly compared to the others.

i also believe the average rating has a slight effect on the results aswell, thats why i say play your highest rated in correct positions, as the more higher rated players you put in your average goes up.

this is why you usually thrash teams in lower leagues when playing in the cups, as your so more highly rated then they are on average and in each individual position, my best ever result was a 11-1 game against a team with an average rating of over ten less then mine, i wasn't even playing my full strength 1st team either.[/quote']

Everything you've said makes sense to me. What I've done for now is go with the CB - CB - LB option and I'll play with that. I've stuck Vidic - Toure - Clichy in defence so I'll see how that plays out. I'll have no choice but to play CB's when they are unfit so that will also test that out.

The problem obviously is I've got CM#s but they are around 88/89 although Pizarro is 92. I might just try out the AM's and see how the team plays like that and go from there.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this again.

Thanks go to you first Astonvillaman, Have been using your tactic since my last post in this thread and have done much better. I've stuck with playing my highest rated players in their main positions and when using subs have brought on the next highest rated player in that position.

Season stats this far :

3 ARSENAL 20 11 5 4 47 24 23 38

Now out of the top 5 teams, I have scored the most goals, more then even the team in first place !. However conceeding 24 goals in 20 games is not so good. I have one of the worst records of goals against. 6 of the top 10 have conceeded more than 20, 4 have conceeded less.

For me that figure needs to go down, but as this is the first season I have tried this tactic I'm willing to let it go for this season and try hope for less next season.

The fact I have only drawn 5 games and lost 4 is a MAJOR plus which I'm very happy about.

I have one issue with the whole of Soccermanager however. If it is the case that playing the highest rated players is the THE way to play, well that just makes the whole point of " playing " utterly pointless.

Overall the tactic has worked wonders though. Moved up the table swiftly, scoring for fun in most matches and actually enjoying " playing the game " now.

A question .. Is playing two subs a must / the best way or can you play the 3 ?

So anyway thanks for your advice on the tactics Astonvillaman :)

• 1 month later...

Back again. After starting the season well with the tactical advice given by astonvillaman my season has started to get worse again. My last 9 games have had the team go down hill and we are now three games away from the season, I was in contention for second place but I'm now 4th and don't stand a chance of getting any further up the table.

I don't know where it went wrong or what caused it and that's why I'm posting this.

My last form reads like this :

L D W D L W D L L

I've been playing my highest rated players and I even have two of the highest rated and best strikers in my team but even they faultered far too often. I haven't change anything about the tactic that was astonvillaman advised me to use.

Everyone seems to be using this formation or the one similar to it so is it a case of having to change it again to combat this ?

I'm just trying to find out why it's gone downhill so fast all of a sudden and to be honest it's p.ss.ng me off no end now

Thanks

Guest joe black

I haven't change anything about the tactic that was astonvillaman advised me to use.

Thats why you have blew a gasket mate and cant win a game,you have to vary your tactics every now and again so that other managers cant read you like a book and plan to counteract your tactics,lets face it in the real game no team plays the same way every week so shake it up a bit, i know its hard to change if you have won the last 4 games by playing a certain way but it has to be done or you will get found out

I think even the AI plays a part in it, i think its programmed so you cant win every game playing the same way no matter how good your team is,but thats just my theory:rolleyes:

Change your tactics for the next few games and then if you want go back to the old tactics just to freshen things up,you cant do any worse than you are doing now;):)

I haven't change anything about the tactic that was astonvillaman advised me to use.

Thats why you have blew a gasket mate and cant win a game' date='you have to vary your tactics every now and again so that other managers cant read you like a book and plan to counteract your tactics,lets face it in the real game no team plays the same way every week so shake it up a bit, i know its hard to change if you have won the last 4 games by playing a certain way but it has to be done or you will get found out

I think even the AI plays a part in it, i think its programmed so you cant win every game playing the same way no matter how good your team is,but thats just my theory:rolleyes:

Change your tactics for the next few games and then if you want go back to the old tactics just to freshen things up,you cant do any worse than you are doing now;):)[/quote']

You are 100% correct, of course. However I've tried the whole varying your tactic approach and believe it the team did a whole lot WORSE. I want a stable tactic that doesn't need to keep being changed and since this is a " game " that shouldn't be too hard to achieve in one respect or another.

Good idea though, I'll change it for the final few games of the season, it's already as bad as it can get.

One of the biggest problems I noticed though was that every new manager that came into my teams set up started using the same formation / tactics or the one that is quite similar.

Also I'd like to point something out, I know a few people who use the same tactics in EVERY single game, and in fact even the AI does this with unmanaged teams, and they still manage to comete fully with managed and other unmanaged teams. Therefore what I want is defintely possible. It's how that is the hard part..

Thanks for the reply :)

Guest joe black

Also I'd like to point something out, I know a few people who use the same tactics in EVERY single game,

So do i and they just cant stop winning:mad: dont ya just hate them:D........hope you get it sorted;):)

Guest joe black

Funny thing about the AI,although it will only play the one way some times i batter them 9-0 and other times i struggle to beat them 1-0,i think the AI for unmanaged clubs has been tampered with by SM,or is that just my imagination and paranoia kicking in;):)

Haha I wish we could say it was just us but I also reckon it's been changed somewhat.

I mean I know that real life football is like that also but sometimes, for example, when you come up against an unmanaged team with 17/18 players who play like that for the whole season and they absolutely kick your backside as well as other clubs, but you go off and kick the backside of managed clubs with tons of world class stars... You have to start asking questions ... :P