swanseajack

The English and Scottish Football League (2019/2020)

In this thread I will pay attention to the developments in the English and Scottish Football Leagues. In competitive game worlds some of these players may be available and as we've seen already this season, lots of the stars from the Football League are making there mark in the Premier League and getting those big rating increases. In a competitive game world in the UNAC, I'm regularly beating lots of managers to some of these big stars and getting them really early, so I thought I'd create a thread to share some of this knowledge and discuss the biggest developments at this level.

In this thread I will make rating predictions for the each Championship club, and each SPL club as they are the two leagues that get reviewed by SM. Outside of that, I will discuss the biggest prospects in detail, and players you should buy, including highlighting the biggest stars in the lower leagues.

Scottish Premiership (2019/2020)

Top 10 Recommended Signings

1. Odsonne Edouard, 83 > 87/86

2. Ryan Christie, 82 > 85/86

3. Mikey Johnston, 73 > 82/83

4. Lewis Ferguson, 73 > 80

5. David Turnbull, 78 > 82/80

6. Aaron Hickey, Not on Database > 73

7. Ewan Henderson, 70 > 76

8. Connor Goldson, 80 > 84

9. Sam Cosgrove, 76 > 82

10. Glen Kamara, 80 > 83/82

Player of the Month

August: Odsonne Edouard, 83 > 87/86

SPL Review - Due Soon

Before I begin reviewing SPL players, I'll begin with a discussion on what to expect.

I'm reviewing the SPL first, because they're due to be reviewed any time from now, and haven't been reviewed since the end of the 2017/2018. In that time lots has happened in Scottish football, and whilst one or two have received small rating changes outside of the schedule there's to be a big chance in the ratings of players. This is as much of an update for last season as it will be for the start of this one, but the longer we wait for a review the more this seasons form will impact it.

When looking at the ratings of players in this division, it's worth noting the unbalanced nature of the league. This comes across in the ratings, and it's very much a case of who you play for in regards to how you'll be rated.

There's very much three tiers of teams in the SPL, which will define the ratings they receive. This is generally regardless of league position, which obviously effects the ratings they receive.

Tier 1: Celtic, Rangers

Tier 2: Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts

Tier 3: Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone, Ross County, Livingston, St. Mirren, Hamilton

It's worth noting that Motherwell are very close to making that Tier 2 grade for me, and that may be reflected in the rating chances. The only real way of a player getting above his Tier is to feature regularly for Scotland.

87 - Tier 1 Maximum Rating

83-86 - Tier 1 Regular

80 - Tier 1 Fringe Player

82 - Tier 2 Maximum Rating

77-80 - Tier 2 Regular

75 - Tier 2 Fringe Player

80 - Tier 3 Maximum Rating

76-79 - Tier 3 Regular

73-75 - Tier 3 Fringe Player

Aberdeen

2018/19: 4th, Scottish Cup SF, League Cup F

Recommended Signings

Scott McKenna, 82 > 83

Sam Cosgrove, 76 > 82

Lewis Ferguson, 73 > 80

Rating Increases

Ryan Hedges, 77 > 80/78

Zak Vyner, 77 > 78

Jim Gallagher, 73 > 76

Connor McLennan, Not on Database > 73

Dean Campbell, Not on Database > 73

Bruce Anderson, 67 > 73

Must Sells

Shay Logan, 82 > 80/82

Stephen Gleeson, 82 > 78

Craig Bryson, 83 > 82

Scott McKenna (82 > 83)

The best player outside of the Old Firm, is Aberdeen's centre half Scott McKenna. He's a regular for Scotland and has picked up 12 caps for his country, which should see his rating increase. He won't get higher than 83 until he leaves Aberdeen, but whether it be a move to Celtic or to England, he's destined to leave the club in the summer and they should get a few million for him. In competitive game worlds he's one to pick up for the future, as he's in a very similar position to John McGinn before his move to Aston Villa.

Lewis Ferguson (73 > 80)

Someone who should be picking up in any set up is Lewis Ferguson, who's emerged as the key man in midfield for Aberdeen. He's a guaranteed starter for them, and will be attracting interest from bigger clubs. He's one of the few players outside the top two who look like they could make the move to the Old Firm, although he may attract interest from Championship clubs looking for the next John McGinn. It's still very early days in his career, and he's worth keeping hold of as it's still really hard to tell just how good he can become, but you'll be able to make some money from him regardless.

Sam Cosgrove (76 > 82)

Cosgrove has improved dramatically since he was last reviewed. At that point in his career, he'd failed to score a goal for Aberdeen and looked a questionable signing given his poor scoring record for clubs like Carlisle United. Since then though, he's proved his doubters wrong and last season only Alfredo Morelos scored more goals in the Scottish Premiership and he finished the season with 21 goals in 44 games. This season he looks even better, scoring 13 goals in 13 games so far as the stand out striker outside the Old Firm. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't increase to 82 alongside the best players of the club, and could be a nice earned for clubs in competitive gameworlds. Long term though, he'd need a transfer to increase any further.

Celtic

2018/19: 1st, Scottish Cup W, League Cup W

Recommended Signings

Callum McGregor, 85 > 87

Odsonne Eduoard, 83 > 86/87

Ryan Christie, 82 > 85/86

Michael Johnston, 73 > 82/83

Rating Increases

James Forrest, 86 > 87

Olivier Ntcham, 85 > 85/86

Scott Bain, 80 > 82

Abd Elhamed, 80 > 82

Greg Taylor, 78 > 80

Armstrong Okoflex, Not on Database > 70

Must Sells

Mohamed Elyanoussi, 88 > 87

Scott Sinclair, 87 > 84/83

Craig Gordon, 86 > 84/83

Odsonne Eduoard, 83 > 86/87

Eduoard is destined for better things, and Celtic will do well to keep him beyond the next couple of transfer windows. He's the best striker in the division, and as an all round player has assets to make it in one of the top five leagues. His control, speed and intelligence as well as his finishing will attract interest from top clubs and when he does move on it'll be for a fee in and around £20 million. He should be hitting in and around the top rating for the division, and would be a good value signing in any gameworld.

Ryan Christie, 82 > 85/86

Christie is my tip to win the Scottish Premier League player of the season, as the number ten of a free scoring Celtic side. So far this season in 16 appearances he's scored 10 goals and assisted a further 5, including important goals in Europe. I'm backing him to keep up that sort of rate, keep Tom Rogic out of the side and be the player that does enough to be awarded the stand out player of the division. The way he's performing would incline me to give him an even greater increase, but as his minutes played take more of a precedent then his performances, I think an increase to 85 is most likely. Long term though I think he'll attract Premier League interest.

Michael Johnston, 73 > 82/83

The final player I want to highlight would be a bargain pick up in any gameworld, 73 rates Mikey Johnston. Johnston is probably the standout youngster in the whole division right now, playing with confidence and flair as a regular for the best team in the country.

Last season he played 23 games, with 6 goal contributions and a total of 1063 minutes, which in itself is an impressive total worthy of a strong rating increase. This season though, despite a recent injury which has kept him out of the last few games, he's already played 10 times, scoring 3 and assisting 4 in 701 minutes.

He's really developed in the last year or so, got himself ahead of Hayes and Sinclair in the pecking order and deserves a strong rating increase as a result. 

Long term he'd be an even better signing, as I can see him going really far. As a Celtic fan, he's going to want to stay to try and earn 10 titles in a row, and if he can keep improving at this current rate then he could follow the likes of Kieran Tierney with a big move down South.

Hamilton Academical

2018/19: 10th, Scottish Cup R4, League Cup GS

Rating Increases

George Oakley, 71 > 75/76

Allan McGowan, 73 > 75/76

Steve Stubbs, 67 > 74

Ryan Cunningham, 67 > 73/74

Liam Smith, Not on Database > 73

Willie Coller, 67 > 72/73

Must Sells

Ryan Fulton, 77 > 75

Steve Davies, 76 > 74

Hearts

2018/19: 6th, Scottish Cup F, League Cup SF

Recommended Buys

Aaron Hickey, Not on Database > 73

Rating Increases

Craig Halkett, 78 > 80/78

Peter Haring, 78 > 78/80

Michael Smith, 78 > 78/80

Sean Clare, 77 > 78

Jake Mulraney, 76 > 78

Uche Ikpeazu, 76 > 78

Callum Morrison, 70 > 76

Andy Irving, 70 > 74

Must Sells

Christophe Berra, 83 > 82

Steven Naismith, 83 > 82

Glenn Whelan, 83 > 82

Oliver Bozanic, 82 > 80

Aaron Hickey, Not on Database > 73

I wouldn't get too carried away just yet, given how quickly things have looked downhill for Hearts prospect Harry Cochrane (now on loan at Championship Dunfermline) but the standout player to pick up from Hearts in young left back, Aaron Hickey.

Scotland have produced possibly the best two left backs in Britain, and Hickey will try and follow in the footsteps of Andy Robertson having also been let go by Celtic as a boy.

Hickey played six times for Hearts last season, despite being just 16 and that included starting at Hampden Park against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final where he performed admirably. This season, having just turned 17, he's already started 7 games and made the left back position his own.

His highlight this season has so far been netting the winner against Edinburgh rivals Hibs, in doing so saving his manager his job for the time being. Hearts are struggling towards the bottom of the table, but Hickey has been the main positive for them this season as one of there best performers despite only just being 17 and he will undoubtedly be catching the eye of bigger clubs.

He's one to take a punt on for sure, but it's so early on his career that I won't make any guarantees of a successful but like I will for other players.

Hibernian

2018/19: 5th, Scottish Cup QF, League Cup QF

Rating Increases

Stevie Mallan, 77 > 78/80

Glenn Middleton, 73 > 77

Oli Shaw, 73 > 76

Ryan Porteus, 72 > 76

Must Sells

Steven Whittaker, 81 > 80

Glenn Middleton, 73 > 77

Glenn isn't necessarily someone I'd recommend signing at the moment, but he's definitely one to look out for. Last season as an 18 year old he played 28 times for Rangers and scored 5 goals. To be honest, I feel like he should have been kept at the club and given more of a chance but for whatever reason Steven Gerrard has signed six wingers to the club which has led to wingers like Middleton having to go out on loan.

At Hibs, he's battling against the fact he's only a loan player, and there's a reluctance from Heckinbottom to try youngsters given how close he is to getting the sack. As a result he's featuring largely from the bench, so it isn't the best time to buy him but he still should increase in rating largely due to last season.

Long term he definitely remains a strong Scottish prospect, and I expect him to still have a future with Rangers where he has the potential to reach a rating of 82 and above.

Kilmarnock

2018/19: 3rd, Scottish Cup R5, League Cup R2

Recommended Buys

Stephen O'Donnell, 77 > 82/80

Rating Increases

Stuart Findley, 78 > 80

Eamonn Brophy, 76 > 80

Alex Power, 76 > 77

Niko Hamailainen, 73 > 76

Liam Millar, 70 > 76

Stephen O'Donnell, 77 > 82/80

One of the key men for Kilmarnock's remarkable third place finish last season under Steve Clarke, and a player that's certainly due a rise is right back O'Donnell. Due to O'Donnell picking up 11 caps for his country whilst at Killie, a number which is only set to increase under his former Kilmarnock boss Clarke against little competition, he should see a rating increase to 82.

My only doubts of him hitting that rating are due to him playing for Kilmarnock, but really 11 caps for Scotland should certainly overwrite that and I'm confident that he'll get that and with it a really strong increase in value. 

Long term I'm not sure he's going to get the move needed to get any higher, if the Old Firm were going to go in for him you'd have thought they'd have done it in the summer. He's 27 now, so maybe any hopes of him playing at the very highest level are over, but unless he was to move to a Championship side and do really well he's definitely a short term money maker over anything else.

Eamonn Brophy, 76 > 80

Brophy's another player who earned a Scotland cap at Kilmarnock this year, as the focal point of their attack. His 12 goals helped the club to third in the league, and with it his reputation grew as one of the best strikers in the league. He's established himself now and with it he should really get an established rating of 80. He's not had the best of starts in front of goal this season though, and I'm not sure he's prolific enough in front of goal to get him the sort of move that would make him valuable long term.

Motherwell

2018/19: 8th, Scottish Cup R4, League Cup R2

Recommended Buys

David Turnbull, 78 > 82/80

Allan Campbell, 76 > 80

Rating Increases

Declan Gallagher, 75 > 77/78

Liam Donnelly, 73 > 76/77

Sherwin Seedorf, 70 > 75

Jermaine Hylton, 70 > 74

James Scott, Not on Database > 72

Must Sells

Trevor Carson, 78 > 75

David Turnbull, 78 > 82/80

Turnbull was the best young player in the Scottish Premiership last season, and only old firm bias prevented him becoming the SPFA Young Player of the Year which he so thoroughly deserved. From midfield he scored 15 goals in 30 games in his break through season, a remarkable achievement.

In the summer, Motherwell accepted two £3.25 million bids from Norwich and Celtic for him, but injury prevented him from making the move. He's still injured now, and that's the only thing that would prevent him from getting his deserved 82 rating. He's supposed to be not too long away from injury, I reckon he'll be back in the next month or so, and if he is when the ratings come around that will boost his chances.

Long term he's definitely someone to hang on to, he was so good last season and his potential is very high. He's likely to get a big move even as early as January, and if he's available in a competitive set up then definitely pick him up.

Allan Campbell, 76 > 80

Campbell is the star of Motherwell's midfield at the moment with Turnbull injured, and he's been an ever present for them and Scotland U21 since he was last reviewed.

Last season he played 40 games for Motherwell, scoring twice. This season, he's already featured 10 times and scored once. For Scotland U21 he's picked up 17 caps and has only recently turned 21. 

He's gone under the radar really, whilst his team mates Hastie and Turnbull have been linked with moves to bigger clubs, he's just been getting on with things performing really well for Motherwell. Long term it's very much wait and see, but hopefully he gets the rise he deserves which would make him a decent profit maker short term.

Rangers

2018/19: 2nd, Scottish Cup QF, League Cup SF

Recommended Buys

Connor Goldson, 80 > 84

Glen Kamara, 80 > 83/82

Joe Aribo, 80 > 82/83

Rating Increases

James Tavernier, 84 > 85

Ryan Kent, 83 > 84

Nikola Katic, 82 > 83

Ryan Jack, 82 > 83

Jordan Jones, 80 > 82/80

Brandon Barker, 77 > 78/80

Connor Goldson, 80 > 84

If your in a competitive gameworld then I'd definitely recommend the signing of Goldson. He played over 50 times for an improved Rangers side last season and has continued as a key man in their defense at the beginning of this season.

He's always been someone with potential, but serious injury and health concerns had held back his career. He seems to have put all that behind him now though, featuring regularly for Rangers in Scotland and further afield in Europe. He should get a rating increase towards the top bracket of Rangers ratings to reflect his importance to the side.

Ross County

2018/19: 1st (Championship), Scottish Cup R5, League Cup R2, Challenge Cup W

Recommended Signings

Ewan Henderson, 70-76

Rating Increases

Ross Stewart, 72 > 77/76

Josh Mullin, 71 > 76/77

Ross Laidlaw, 73 > 76

Tom Grivotski, Not on Database > 70

Ewan Henderson, 70 > 76

Not to be mistaken with the Hearts youngster Euan Henderson, Ewan is a Celtic youngster who will spend the season on loan with Ross County. His older brother Liam Henderson has had success with Hibs winning the Scottish Cups and in Italy where He gained promotion to Serie A with Hellas Verona last season, but the younger Ewan is seen as the more talented and better prospect of the two.

Still only 19, Henderson played six times for Celtic towards the end of last and was impressive. He featured briefly for them in Europe this season, before it was decided that he was best of playing regular in the Premiership on loan at Ross County for the season. He has since started the two games they've played since he's joined, and they've managed to win both.

County have a very limited budget for the Premiership, but the loan signing of Henderson has been inspired and one that could give them the extra quality they need to stay up this season.

Henderson won't be a quick money spinner, but he's very much a long term prospect that it worth getting hold of in a competitive gameworld. He's one of the most talented players of this current crop of youngsters coming through at Celtic Park, and perhaps the next in line after Mikey Johnston to break through to the first team. We're excited to see how he does over the course of the season, and he's one we'll certainly be looking out for.

St. Mirren

2018/19: 11th, Scottish Cup R5, League Cup R2

Rating Increases

Calum Waters, 73 > 75

Sean McLoughlin, 73 > 75

Kyle McAllister, Not on Database > 72

Cameron MacPherson, Not on Database > 72

Cameron Breadner, Not on Database > 70

Ethan Erhahon, Not on Database > 70

Scottish Premiership Team of the Week (Week 4)

GK: Fraser Forster (85)

DEF: Connor Goldson (80 > 84)

DEF: Andy Considine (80)

DEF: Richard Foster (78)

DEF: Aaron Hickey (Not on Database > 75)

MID: James Forrest (86 > 87)

MID: Ryan Christie (82 > 85/86)

MID: Steven Davis (86 > 85)

MID: Ryotaro Moshino (76)

ST: Odsonne Eduoard (83 > 87/86)

ST: Alfredo Morelos (85)

Championship Stars of the Future - Ben White (76 > 82)

Right, so now that the Scottish Premiership has been reviewed, were going to begin looking at stars of the future in the English Championship. We won't do a complete review until the end of the season, but some of these players will receive sporadic increase during the season and have a much better chance of making it in to the Premier League than all bar one or two SPL players.

The first player that were going to be looking at is August's PFA Fans Championship Player of Month, Ben White. White is at Leeds United on loan from Brighton as the replacement for 85 rated Pontus Jansson.

There was some doubts when one of the best defenders in the Championship was replaced by an inexperienced loanee, but Bielsa certainly knew what he was doing and he has become an instant hit at Leeds. Already, Leeds fans feel they have an improvement on Jansson in a defender who is more comfortable playing Bielsa's style of football. He's been a key reason for them taking an early lead in the Championship after 8 games.

White is one you should definitely be picking up in any gameworld, he should get a rating increase of at least 82 by the end of the season as long as he can avoid injury. More crucially though, its felt by Leeds fans that if they go up they should make him their number one target, whilst Brighton may feel like he's ready to make the step up to their own first team. Leeds fans feel that he will play for England one day, and if Lewis Dunk does end up replacing Harry Maguire at Brighton, I feel like there replacement for him will be Ben White.

End of Season 2019/20: 82 

End of Season 2020/21: 85

17 hours ago, Phaerak said:

I’m probably jumping the gun a little bit, but do you think Lyle Taylor is due a decent rise or has he reached his high point already?

Yeah he's definitely due to a rise. 

Despite his age, you can't deny his form and he's so important for Charlton. 

I think it's a safe bet that he'll rise to 80, and if he can keep his goalscoring form up all season and get 20 or so goals then he could rise as high as 82.