swanseajack

The English and Scottish Football League (2019/2020)

15 minutes ago, ombarcagunners said:

What about Jude Bellingham?

I'll get to him in more detail in time, but yeah he's absolutely a star in the making. Only 16 and a regular in the Championship, and has scored a couple of vital goals.

He's only just turned 16 as well, and won't be 17 until the start of the season so it's remarkable he's playing at this level and will be attracting lots of interest.

He's definitely worth getting hold of, and if he can keep his place in Birmingham's team he'll get to around 78 when next reviewed.

Championship Stars of the Future - Jude Bellingham (67 > 77)

The youngest prospect that you'll see in the Championship is young Jude Bellingham, who at just 16 years and 38 days this season became Birmingham City's youngest ever player. Since then, he's done more then just simply feature and has scored two goals as well as making himself a first team regular for the Blues. He's started five games for them, and made a total of eight appearances for a Birmingham side that are doing well this season in mid table under Pep Clotet.

Bellingham has been linked to Bayern Munich, and it's been suggested that lots of scouts from top European clubs already have their eyes on the youngster. For me though, nothing beats playing regular football and he has an opportunity here to play at a high level regularly for five years or so before some players even make their debut. Dan James hadn't played this much in professional football until he was 21, and has still gone on to earn a move to Man. United. Bellingham could make himself a Birmingham legend by that stage in his career, and the opportunity to play that much regular football shouldn't be snubbed.

I've given him a fairly conservative prediction, but that's largely down to just how young he is and with kids of his age the managers don't necessarily want to play them all too often. If he can keep his place in the side though then I'd expect his rating to increase at a greater rate. He's absolutely somebody you should be picking up as a prospect though, he's captaining England U17 and looks every bit good enough for the Championship despite his age. 

End of Season 2019/20: 77

End of Season 2020/21: 80

Championship Stars of the Future - Jayden Bogle (78 > 82)

Jayden Bogle broke through at Derby last season, featuring a rather remarkable 50 times as an 18 year old in a Derby County side that missed out on promotion to the Premier League in the Play Off Final. Unfortunately for Bogle, he doesn't have the opportunity to play in the top flight this season, despite summer interest from Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle, but he does have the opportunity to showcase his talents with regular football at Derby.

Among the chaos at Derby, Bogle has become a key man in a side that has struggled with the loss of Wilson, Mount and Tomori. He's improving all the time, and after last season where his shine was taken from other young right backs Max Aarons and Reece James, this season he looks the outstanding young right back in the division.

I've been fairly conservative with his rating prediction again, as I'm very confident he'll be a regular throughout the season for Derby, but I'm not completely confident he'll earn a move to the Premier League. If he does manage to get one, which is absolutely possible then his rating could soar.

End of Season 2019/20: 82

End of Season 2020/21: 83/84

St. Johnstone (Reviewed)

2018/19: 7th, Scottish Cup R5, League Cup QF

Rating Increases

Matty Kennedy, 77 > 78 (77)

Scott Tanser, 75 > 76/77 (76)

Jaaon Kerr, 75 > 76/77 (78)

Alistair McCann, 63 > 73/74 (69)

Callum Hendry, 68 > 72 (72)

Wallace Duffy, 67 > 72 (67)

It seems like St. Johnstone's poor start to this season has had far more of a weighting then the entirety of last season. I really feel like this league should be reviewed more based on last season, given we're not long in to this one and St. Johnston should find their feet at some stage.

I'm not sure how first team regulad this season Ali McCann doesn't even hit the 70 mark, whilst Wallace Duffy doesn't rise from 67 despite starting four games this season. Who knows though, he might be reviewed later on?

Hibernian (Reviewed)

2018/19: 5th, Scottish Cup QF, League Cup QF

Rating Increases

Stevie Mallan, 77 > 78/80 (78)

Glenn Middleton, 73 > 77 (76)

Oli Shaw, 73 > 76 (76)

Ryan Porteus, 72 > 76 (75)

Must Sells

Steven Whittaker, 81 > 80 (78)

Completely fine with these rating changes, although I do feel that Glenn Middleton's impact and game time for Rangers last season has been overlooked.

Anyone featuring 28 times and scoring 5 goals for them should be securing well above a 76 rating. I feel like he's only got a 76 because he's not walked in to Hibs side, but he's only young and I feel that given a month or two he'll be a key man for them. Ultimately if they'd reviewed him in April/May he'd have got higher, and I feel the same if he was reviewed in December/January so it's poor timing more than anything and I'd still keep hold of him as a prospect.

In light of what we've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rangers getting a whole host of +1's and their highest true rating lifted to 86.

It seems like SM will give more weight to the fact their top of the league after a few games, then it will to them not winning any of the trophies last season.

Hamilton Academical (Reviewed)

2018/19: 10th, Scottish Cup R4, League Cup GS

Rating Increases

George Oakley, 71 > 75/76 (76)

Allan McGowan, 73 > 75/76  (76)

Steve Stubbs, 67 > 74 (72)

Ryan Cunningham, 67 > 73/74 (70)

Liam Smith, Not on Database > 73

Willie Coller, 67 > 72/73 

Must Sells

Ryan Fulton, 77 > 75 (75)

Steve Davies, 76 > 74 (73)

Kilmarnock

2018/19: 3rd, Scottish Cup R5, League Cup R2

Recommended Buys

Stephen O'Donnell, 77 > 82/80 (82)

Rating Increases

Stuart Findley, 78 > 80 (82)

Eamonn Brophy, 76 > 80 (80)

Alan Power, 76 > 77

Niko Hamailainen, 73 > 76

Liam Millar, 70 > 76 (73)

The first of my recommended buys has been reviewed, and if you did pick up Stephen O'Donnell then you'd have been rewarded with a strong rise as well as an increase in value from £317k to £1.1 million. Eamonn Brophy and Stuart Findley also got strong rating increases on the back of their strong seasons, which helped Kilmarnock to Europe and earned Steve Clarke the Scotland job.

Livingston

2018/19: 9th, Scottish Cup R4, League Cup R2

Rating Increases

Scott Pitmann, 76 > 78 (78) 

Nicky Devlin, 76 > 78

Alan Lithgow, 75 > 76 (77)

Lyndon Dykes, 74 > 76 (76)

Jack McMillan, 72 > 74 (75)

Ross Stewart, 70 > 74 (72)

Must Sells

Aymen Souda, 80 > 78 (78)

Hearts

2018/19: 6th, Scottish Cup F, League Cup SF

Recommended Buys

Aaron Hickey, Not on Database > 73 (73)

Rating Increases

Craig Halkett, 78 > 80/78 (80)

Peter Haring, 78 > 78/80

Michael Smith, 78 > 78/80 (80)

Sean Clare, 77 > 78

Jake Mulraney, 76 > 78 (78)

Uche Ikpeazu, 76 > 78 (78)

Callum Morrison, 70 > 76 (75)

Andy Irving, 70 > 74 (73)

Must Sells

Christophe Berra, 83 > 82 (82)

Steven Naismith, 83 > 82

Glenn Whelan, 83 > 82

Oliver Bozanic, 82 > 80 (80)

Aberdeen

2018/19: 4th, Scottish Cup SF, League Cup F

Recommended Signings

Scott McKenna, 82 > 83

Sam Cosgrove, 76 > 82 (78)

Lewis Ferguson, 73 > 80 (80)

Rating Increases

Ryan Hedges, 77 > 80/78

Zak Vyner, 77 > 78 (78)

Jim Gallagher, 73 > 76

Connor McLennan, Not on Database > 73

Dean Campbell, Not on Database > 73

Bruce Anderson, 67 > 73 (73)

Must Sells

Shay Logan, 82 > 80/82

Stephen Gleeson, 82 > 78

Craig Bryson, 83 > 82 (82)

Aberdeen haven't been completely reviewed yet, but I just wanted to largely comment on the player update of Sam Cosgrove, which to be honest is awful stuff from the game really. Apologies for those that have bought him, I have done myself, and hopefully they address this issue later on, but I'll just put in to detail the argument for why he should certainly have been rated 82.

Here's a list of the out and out strikers playing in the Scottish Premiership for clubs outside the Old Firm since the beginning of the 2018/19 season, after the league was last reviewed. It's worth noting that this is their stats in all competitions, but for Cosgrove that includes goals in the Europa League and he outscores all of these in the Scottish Premiership considerably. It's also worth noting that Cosgrove is much more of an all round striker than these players, and is primarily a target man as opposed to being just a goalscorer. Finally, it is worth considering that out of all the clubs that these players play for, Aberdeen have been the most successful overall in the last few seasons and warrant higher ratings generally than players at other clubs. 

Appearances Goals Assists Rating
Sam Cosgrove 59 31 5 78
Florian Kamberi 54 18 7 80
Steven Naismith 30 15 4 83
Eamonn Brophy 44 14 3 80
Uche Ikpeazu 37 10 7 78
Steven Maclean 43 8 3 78
Chris Long 41 6 2 77
Stevie May 46 4 7 78
Michael O'Halloran 25 3 2 78
James Wilson 41 4 5 80

That he's not been given an 82 rating is ridiculous, and if he was considered to be rated 80 then it would be very disappointing. The fact he's been given a 78 rating has led me to put in those stats, as I'm left thinking what's the point really. I'd have to say that generally, as whilst I've recommended signings from the Scottish Premiership, whenever your signing a player for the division you have to consider that this player is going to be reviewed eighteen months, and when they are they might not be reviewed correctly. For Cosgrove, his goals might earn him a move to the Championship where he'll be reviewed properly, but he could end up having scored 60-80 goals for Aberdeen before he's considered on the same level as James Wilson. 

St. Mirren (Reviewed)

2018/19: 11th, Scottish Cup R5, League Cup R2

Rating Increases

Calum Waters, 73 > 75 (73)

Sean McLoughlin, 73 > 75 (73)

Kyle McAllister, Not on Database > 72

Cameron MacPherson, Not on Database > 72

Cameron Breadner, Not on Database > 70

Ethan Erhahon, Not on Database > 70

Remarkable again in terms of reviews for Scotland, with the review of Mikey Johnston which I can't quite believe.

He's a regular in the Celtic side, he's played 33 games, scored 8 goals and won 3 trophies since he was last reviewed, and he's been given an increase to 78. He's well ahead of Scott Sinclair in the pecking order at Celtic, who's been reviewed to 85. 

He's been injured since the start of September, but has been back in training for the last week. I'm not sure how an injury for a month can negate over a season of performing at a really high level, winning trophies for the best team in the league. It's just bizarre, and apologies to those that have bought him hoping for his deserved rise for a quick money spinner, but long term he's still a great prospect and in time he'll show this review to be daft.

I'm a bit fed up of the game at the minute, and it's lack of care in reviewing the Scottish Premiership. There's no consistency with the review at all, and whilst it's clear they haven't watched the football, I at least expect it to follow some sort of logic based on minutes played and goals scored. Some of the other reviews that I'd take issue with are Connor Goldson's rating which should be higher than 82, and Allan Campbell's who's just been so good for Motherwell for the last 18 months. 

On 10/7/2019 at 10:15 AM, swanseajack said:

Hamilton Academical (Reviewed)

2018/19: 10th, Scottish Cup R4, League Cup GS

Rating Increases

George Oakley, 71 > 75/76 (76)

Allan McGowan, 73 > 75/76  (76)

Steve Stubbs, 67 > 74 (72)

Ryan Cunningham, 67 > 73/74 (70)

Liam Smith, Not on Database > 73

Willie Coller, 67 > 72/73 

Must Sells

Ryan Fulton, 77 > 75 (75)

Steve Davies, 76 > 74 (73)

Nothing for him 😕

11 minutes ago, Tharanidharan said:

Hi, I'm building a British squad and need some info on couple of players : What's your opinion on

Connor Roberts - Wales international - Swansea - RB?

McKenna - Wales International - Celtic - CB?

Both of these players are going to attract interest from other clubs at the moment, and whether they can get strong rating increases from their current ratings rests largely on whether they can earn a move.

Roberts is Wales first choice right-back, and he's cemented down that place now. As a result he might be looking at a small increase to 83, but to get any higher he's going to need to play in the Premier League. There's an okay chance of this happening as he's one of the best right backs in the Championship, but it's far from certain.

Scott McKenna's one of the best players in the SPL outside of Celtic and Rangers and is still very young. He's pretty much at the highest rating you can get at Aberdeen, so he'll need a transfer to get above an 82 but he will have interest from Celtic, Rangers and English clubs and I think there's a good chance ths will be his final season at Aberdeen.

29 minutes ago, swanseajack said:

Both of these players are going to attract interest from other clubs at the moment, and whether they can get strong rating increases from their current ratings rests largely on whether they can earn a move.

Roberts is Wales first choice right-back, and he's cemented down that place now. As a result he might be looking at a small increase to 83, but to get any higher he's going to need to play in the Premier League. There's an okay chance of this happening as he's one of the best right backs in the Championship, but it's far from certain.

Scott McKenna's one of the best players in the SPL outside of Celtic and Rangers and is still very young. He's pretty much at the highest rating you can get at Aberdeen, so he'll need a transfer to get above an 82 but he will have interest from Celtic, Rangers and English clubs and I think there's a good chance ths will be his final season at Aberdeen.

So, I guess, we can expect both of them to play at ''mid table PL club'' next season.

Thanks a lot. 

Any young player with good potential in 70-80s rating  with nationalities of N.Ireland / Scotland / Wales ??

6 minutes ago, Tharanidharan said:

So, I guess, we can expect both of them to play at ''mid table PL club'' next season.

Thanks a lot. 

Any young player with good potential in 70-80s rating  with nationalities of N.Ireland / Scotland / Wales ??

There's a chance Roberts would, but I wouldn't expect him too. I'd expect McKenna to go to either Celtic, Rangers or a top Championship club. 

Top Talents

Ethan Ampadu (80)

Joe Rodon (80)

Michael Johnston (78)

Rabbi Matondo (76)

Useful Talents

David Turnbull (78)

Matt Smith (78)

Joe Morrell (75)

Dylan Levitt (70)

8 hours ago, swanseajack said:

There's a chance Roberts would, but I wouldn't expect him too. I'd expect McKenna to go to either Celtic, Rangers or a top Championship club. 

Top Talents

Ethan Ampadu (80)

Joe Rodon (80)

Michael Johnston (78)

Rabbi Matondo (76)

Useful Talents

David Turnbull (78)

Matt Smith (78)

Joe Morrell (75)

Dylan Levitt (70)

Matches exactly with my scouting list except two. Thanks a lot mate.

What's your opinion or which player should be bought on priority?

McNeil vs Bowen vs Harry WIlson?

TIA :)

19 minutes ago, Tharanidharan said:

Matches exactly with my scouting list except two. Thanks a lot mate.

What's your opinion or which player should be bought on priority?

McNeil vs Bowen vs Harry WIlson?

TIA :)

I'd go with

1. Dwight McNeil, 83 > 86/85

2. Harry Wilson, 84 > 85/86

3. Jarrod Bowen, 84 > 84

McNeil probably has the most potential, given that he's 3 years younger than the other two players. He's also playing more regularly in the Premier League, and whilst Harry Wilson has lots of quality and talent, what McNeil excells in is consistency which is so rare for a player of his age. Bowen's talented, but playing in the Championship he won't get above his current rating. 

13 minutes ago, swanseajack said:

I'd go with

1. Dwight McNeil, 83 > 86/85

2. Harry Wilson, 84 > 85/86

3. Jarrod Bowen, 84 > 84

McNeil probably has the most potential, given that he's 3 years younger than the other two players. He's also playing more regularly in the Premier League, and whilst Harry Wilson has lots of quality and talent, what McNeil excells in is consistency which is so rare for a player of his age. Bowen's talented, but playing in the Championship he won't get above his current rating. 

Thanks a lot. Just as I thought.