Who's the Best "Pure" Footballer

Guest Man City Fan

Guest Man City Fan

Hey I didn't know where to post this but just an interesting place for it since "maybe" theres a chance it is sort of like whos stats should change. But im more making this topic for fun and curiosity

Anyway I was watching this Football program interview/Documentry and it was a real eye opener. It went back years to the days of Pelé being overrated because he was a nice guy and Maradona outclassing him in every way but Pele was remembered as being greater despite Pele being on the bench of one of the world cups he won.

It went on to modern day with players such as Ronaldinho and Rooney (2 guys who advertise the fifa video games) who gain media from them and even went as far to showing the show boating and flair that earns fifa player of the year wins. Sort of like Basketball or WWE wrestling almost at the end of the day soccer is a business with wages and publicity and like it or not overating marketable players (such as Beckham, Rooney, Ronaldinho) helps clubs funds and it has gotten to the point where with "awards" being handed out and the clarity between reality and show has been clouded so much that as fans its hard not to get sucked in and most fans will believe what they are told with the "Awards" that are handed out.

Anyway for fun lets pretend there are no Fifa Player of the years the past 5 years and ignore Ballack and Terry's pay packages. Who do YOU think is the best pure footballer in the world?

I'll go first. I think that German guy Klose. 2002 Runner up Golden boot, 2006 Golden boot, consitantly Bundisliga top goalscorer yet often a second thought. He was mentioned in that documentry I saw. He never blasts the ball from outside, he dribbles in and places in the corner. He can do tricks, but chooses not to. Also the guy always knows where to stand to get goals and can finish both on the ground and in the air better then any other player. Yet why is he never considered a great? Well the reason is simple. The guy is boring to watch. He does no tricks and rarely misses easy opportunities. He has never endorsed any Fifa or fifa charity before. Yet theres one thing you can't argue with. His % of shots converted to goals and his goals scored. Plus he performs both in club and international. After watching that documentry I do believe Klose is the best player in recent times.

Well Klose is the footballer I believe is the best pure footballer. Pretending you had never heard anyone elses opions before who would you say is the best soccer player?

-and yes i know Klose was someone elses opinion but when i thought about it I would of thought Klose had it not been for all these award ceromonies building up Italian Seria A players and such

Re: Who's the Best "Pure" Footballer

Klose is a good player. But I don't think that Rooney is an overrated player. And even if he is, it's certainly not from his media attention. As a Liverpool fan, I can say that Rooney is a good player. He can score good goals, and plays well for United. Ronaldinho was in superb form in the last 2 seasons, thats why he's rated 98, although now, he deserves to be 97.

Well, My "Pure' Footballer would have to be Steven Gerrard. Don't accuse me being biased, but he is a true player. He started his career in the Liverpool Academy, and he hasn't left Liverpool since. He has been Liverpool's backbone player for many years, and he still is. He is a great midfielder - if not the best in England. This is why I would say he is a true footballer. He never dives like Drogba and Ronaldo. He also rather consistent, and he is good.

My opinion is more from a tactical/social point of view, unlike most people who will take it from the statistical point of view.

I'll go first. I think that German guy Klose. 2002 Runner up Golden boot' date=' 2006 Golden boot, consitantly Bundisliga top goalscorer yet often a second thought. He was mentioned in that documentry I saw. He never blasts the ball from outside, he dribbles in and places in the corner. He can do tricks, but chooses not to. Also the guy always knows where to stand to get goals and can finish both on the ground and in the air better then any other player. Yet why is he never considered a great? Well the reason is simple. The guy is boring to watch. He does no tricks and rarely misses easy opportunities. He has never endorsed any Fifa or fifa charity before. Yet theres one thing you can't argue with. His % of shots converted to goals and his goals scored. Plus he performs both in club and international. After watching that documentry I do believe Klose is the best player in recent times.

Well Klose is the footballer I believe is the best pure footballer. Pretending you had never heard anyone elses opions before who would you say is the best soccer player?

-and yes i know Klose was someone elses opinion but when i thought about it I would of thought Klose had it not been for all these award ceromonies building up Italian Seria A players and such

Nice to see some appreciation for Klose, as you say players like him don't get the recognition they deserve in favour of the typical "superstar" players.

He deserved to win the 2006 World Player of the Year award - top scorer at the World Cup, had scored 25 goals in 26 games in 2005-06 and 10 in 13 in the first half of the following season. I know that the award went to Cannavaro, who isn't on the same fame pedestal as, say, Ronaldinho or Kaka, but Cannavaro is still far more of a household name than Klose and it was that factor which gave him the win. Zidane and Ronaldinho were 2nd and 3rd that year - IIRC, Klose was way down the list (15th ish?) despite having been the best player of the year.

Yes, we know your a Modric fan. I agree with the Klose point. Don't forget that he has a great heading ability. Although I do think that FIFA could do something great with his trademark "salto" (front flip). I was at a Werder game once where he played, he scored goal of the week there, however I agree that something about the way he plays is boring.

Guest melbguy1

Pure Footballer? I'm assuming it would be restricted to Midfielders as they mainly posses the all-round skills, reading plays, passing, dribbling, tackling/holding up opposition, scoring etc required to be considered a pure footballer, rather than honing in on 1 or 2 skills. If that's the case I would say in his prime Zidane was as pure as they come (lacked a little in the tackling category). He could pass with the best midfielders, shoot with the best attackers and just basically run an entire game. He was like Micheal Jordan at Juventus and Real, the game plan was give the ball to Zidane and get the **** out of the way and he delivered year after year with championships and ECL's World Cups along with countless awards.

And as for the swipe at Serie A (another one) they deserved every award they received, the only 1 I don't agree with was Cannavaro FIFA player of the year, which should have gone to another Italian player instead. Besides that I would be interested in hearing which awards the cheating Italians bought/bribed etc from FIFA.

the game plan was give the ball to Zidane and the the **** out of the way and he delivered year after year with championships and ECL's World Cups along with countless awards.

Lol this kind of reminds me of my football team our captain is like our Zidane midfielder and we just pass to him then relax and watch the goals :D

Off topic i know but i just had to say.

Guest Man City Fan

Eh I try not to judge others opinions but I think some people missed the point of my question. Players like Gerrard and Rooney get payed big dollars and do all this media hyping our english players up but what happens? we dont even get into Euro because our whole team is overated. I'm not suprised we didn't get in because i know in reality the english team is not that good and i wish every would stop overhyping us as it gives England a disadvantage.

Alot of people get told Rooney, Gerrard and C Ronaldo are all this but who actually believes it? More or less everyone.

As I said I dont want to shut down anyones opinions because I believe everyone can look at Football in a different way. I just want to be sure everyone isnt just copying someone elses thought because I think C Ronaldo and Rooney are nothing more then good middle rate players posing as stars and Gerrard is good for liverpool in the premier league but on the World stage average. hey thats just my opinion not saying its correct just hoping everyone is really thinking about the question rather then saying "I like him the best"

Eh I try not to judge others opinions but I think some people missed the point of my question. Players like Gerrard and Rooney get payed big dollars and do all this media hyping our english players up but what happens? we dont even get into Euro because our whole team is overated. I'm not suprised we didn't get in because i know in reality the english team is not that good and i wish every would stop overhyping us as it gives England a disadvantage.

Alot of people get told Rooney' date=' Gerrard and C Ronaldo are all this but who actually believes it? More or less everyone.

As I said I dont want to shut down anyones opinions because I believe everyone can look at Football in a different way. I just want to be sure everyone isnt just copying someone elses thought because I think C Ronaldo and Rooney are nothing more then good middle rate players posing as stars and Gerrard is good for liverpool in the premier league but on the World stage average. hey thats just my opinion not saying its correct just hoping everyone is really thinking about the question rather then saying "I like him the best"[/quote']

Your totally right about Gerrard and Rooney.

Raul Gonzalez and Paolo Maldini are best examples.

But i say Raul is the purest , his loyalty to the club has been amazing and he has great sportsmanship . I once read in an article that he had less than 15 yellow card in his career (not too sure of the figure). almost 13 years of playing careers with less than 15 yellow cards is amazing. A legend in his era.

• 6 months later...

Gilberto Silva before the rise of Fabregas.

Brazil captain, seaoned starter, a main man behind the golden eras of both Arsenal and Brazil. Plus, he had the amazing ability to appear do to very little in a game and yet when he wasnt there the whole team would fall apart around him :o .

Completely under-rated when he was in his prime and above all a nice genuine person.

Hes my pure footballer. Any1 agree?

"I'm assuming it would be restricted to Midfielders as they mainly posses the all-round skills, reading plays, passing, dribbling, tackling/holding up opposition, scoring etc required to be considered a pure footballer, rather than honing in on 1 or 2 skills. If that's the case I would say in his prime Zidane was as pure as they come (lacked a little in the tackling category). He could pass with the best midfielders, shoot with the best attackers and just basically run an entire game. He was like Micheal Jordan at Juventus and Real, the game plan was give the ball to Zidane and get the **** out of the way and he delivered year after year with championships and ECL's World Cups along with countless awards."

I totally agree with you about the midfielder idea, (although i am being a bit biast as i am one myself) And thats also why i would also rule out Kaka and Ronaldo. Because the best pure footballer i feel is Steven Gerrard. He delivers time and time again for Liverpool and has stayed with them through thick and thin. He has no real weakness either. Can anyone think of his weakness? I can't off the top of my head. I suppose hes **** in the net but thats about it. For the record I am a Man Utd fan.

Michael Essien

And no I'm not a huge Chelsea fanboy. But watching that boy play... he's got it all. Quickness, speed, strength, fast feet, intelligence, great shot, both feet, great attitude, and works harder than any player in the world in my opinion.

Paul Scholes, The Guy Is One Of The World Best Centre Midfielders, Yet You Hardly See Him Feature In An Advertisments. All He Cares About Is His Footballing Career And He Has Got Respect From His TeamMates And Coaches, Alex Ferguson Sees Scholes As The Best Player For Manchester United And Who Are We To Argue With Him, Also Edgar Davids Calls Him The World Best Midfielder, Also You Will Never Hear Him In Contract Disputes Either. The Only Bad Thing About Him Is That He STILL Cannot Tackle!:confused::rolleyes::P:eek:

PS: I Know Darren Moore Isn't A Great Footballer But He Is Very Genorous Though, A Proportion Of "Big Dave's" Salary He Donates To Charity. Top Man. :)