Austins guide to different styles of play

I have made this thread to discuss the different styles of play and how to correspond with your tactics.

The first one I am going to touch is how to keep possesion

POSSESSION

Possession is an important element of play in football.With this element,it can determine whether you win games or dont get to test the keeper at all.For example, a team who keeps 100% possession during a match is more likely to win a match, and is guaranteed not to lose it.

How to keep possession-As Ive said,possession is highly crucial to win a match and to keep the ball away from the opponent.Now I'll tell you how to keep possession in a match.

good midfielders.-This is very important as they do most of the passing around in this game.

Defensive or normal mentality-,this is because if you have attacking mentality,anytime you get the ball,you just shoot and ghive it to the opponent if you miss.But if you have a defensive mentality,you'll get the ball and take your time with it before getting it to the strikers.

Passing Style-Short.This is so you can pass the ball around yourselves and try to carve out a pretty goal.Dont use it if your opponent has a good defense

Slow tempo-Slow tempo is purely there for taking your sweet time with the ball when you have got it,it enables you to have annoying back passes around your team and keep the opponent away from the ball.Be careful though-if you have bad defenders and a bad goalie,a striker may recieve the ball and round the keeper to score you.

Pressing-Own half.Dont need to expalin this much do I?

Play style-men behind ball-so that you dont get caught by the opponent if they try to break away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

there will be more explanations and different tactic syles coming up.

Next I will address a guide on how to get shots in a match i.e how to make sure you get more shots than your opponent.

Please if this resembles sir metz guide tell me,because I was trying to create something different than his and I couldnt read the whole thread as it was huge.

Also I would appreciate help from other forumers on the tactics style as well.

Please feel free to post your opinions on this.:)

Oh, and I will include the pages where I added updates for your comfort

Update 1-post 1 - Possession

Update 2 - post 3 - getting shots

update 3-post 9 - attacking style

Update 4 - post 10 - The Defensive Tactic

Update 5 - post 28 - THe Long Ball

I am continuing to work on providing more updates, and I have set aside 10 teams to experiment with them.

More to follow

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have made this thread to discuss the different styles of play and how to correspond with your tactics. The first one I am going to touch is how to keep possesion POSSESSION Possession is an

Re: Austins guide to different styles of play ATTACKING STYLE The attacking tactic is a tactic that has to do with getting the ball,keeping possesion and getting shots in the net. Tackling -

Re: Austins guide to different styles of play There'll be another update sometime this week. Thanks for all the rep guys!Much needed

Re: Austins guide to different styles of play

thanks for the compliment poochimran,I'll do the shots stuf....now

Getting shots

Obviously this game is all about scoring goals, and to do that,you gotta get shots in, and you gotta set up the shots for the striker,so here we go.

alright here we go-first you have to choose a mentality.You have the option of attacking and v.attacking.I would go for the attacking because it still leaves you conscious at the back,but the v.attacking gives you all out attacking,leaving you more liable to be attacked.

tackilng-hard.In my opinion,tackling dosent really have to do much in this aspect of play, but it is the best form of tackilng in this game anyway.

mentality-attacking.already explained

passing style-direct.Direct passing is very crucial in this style of play as it means punting the ball to the attackers immediately your team gets the ball.Again,direct passing is a must.

attacking style- may vary,but preferably through the middle, as it is easier to get the ball to the strikers this way.

tempo- fast-for quick and swift delivery of the ball

pressing- all over.the opponent should not be allowed to breathe

play style-very important-try counter attacking,playing offside,play maker and target man.counter attacking is to ensure that if ever you are cut short,you can recover quickly and hit back. playing offside is to ensure your strikers are always forward, playmaker and target man are useful to get the ball forward as well.

formation-3-3-4,4-3-3,4-2-4,3-4-1-2 are the most likely to work against weaker opposition

the attacking tactic is to be used mainly for home games or any game where your squad average is higher than the opposition's by about 4 or so.

It helps you get more shots than your opponent,usually at the cost of conceding goals and going behind in possesion.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you disagree with some of the methods here, feel free to post here and correct them:)

Remember you can also post other styles of play here.

well...i agree wid u mate...that more shots that means more vulneralbe to conceding goals...

but there might be a balance of both possession and shots and goal.....isnt it..???

btw...i play with 4-2-2-2....but coz i win games ....with say even possession or more possession i still have less shots on goal than the opponents..!!!!

well...i agree wid u mate...that more shots that means more vulneralbe to conceding goals...

but there might be a balance of both possession and shots and goal.....isnt it..???

btw...i play with 4-2-2-2....but coz i win games ....with say even possession or more possession i still have less shots on goal than the opponents..!!!!

thats because the 4-2-2-2 is defensive based formation,it tends to hold onto the ball and linger with it in their defensive midfield,but dosent really get that many shots.

If you were a team like Arsenal for example,it would be easy to win because Arsenal have good midfield and good strikers so a 4-2-2-2 formation would work better for them.

If you did change formation however, and used the same tactics,I think it would be more difficult to win,am I wrong?

true mate....!!!

i have lost and drawn as many times i have changed the formation and not a single win ..!!!!

i have tried 4-1-2-1-2 then 3-4-1-2....and 4-3-1-2....all have resulted in a loss..!!!!

but mate ......u say 4-2-2-2 is a defensive formation .....but when u look at my XI lineup u wont say that..!!!!!

-----------------------akinfeev/rogerio ceni/lehmann-----------------------

sergio ramos/g.castro----toure/mertsacker-----nesta/gallas-----clichy/milito

-----------------de rossi/gilberto---------fabregas/scholes---------------

---riquelme/VDV--------------------------------ribery/rosicsky/vicente

-----------------messi/RVP---------------RVN/Raul/benzema-------------

thats the lineup i follow mate....the ones that are first are my starting XI...then the 2nd choice..!!!!

i dont say i dont score goals .....i m usually 2nd or 3rd top goalscorer in my league..!!!!

If you were a team like Arsenal for example,it would be easy to win because Arsenal have good midfield and good strikers so a 4-2-2-2 formation would work better for them.

perfect guess.......my team is Arsenal....!!!!!

ATTACKING STYLE

The attacking tactic is a tactic that has to do with getting the ball,keeping possesion and getting shots in the net.

Tackling - hard,because you should always be aiming to win the ball.

mentality- attacking,duh!

passing style- direct if you have good strikers who can finish,short if you wanna keep possession.

attacking style- depending on the strengt of your midfielders

Tempo- fast.A must if you wanna get goals.

pressing- all over,do not give them time to breathe.

PLAY STYLE

counter attack- you should always be attack minded,even if you are on the defesive

men behind ball-no,dont use this tactica

tight marking-optional

play offside- no

playmaker-make sure your attacking style and your playmaker correspond,for example,if your Vicente on the left wing,then he could also be your

playmaker so he will be relied on to get the cross in

target man-if you are playing with more than 2 strikers,turn off,if you are playing with 2 strikers, and one is significantly higher than the other,yes.If you are playing with one striker,definetly use

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The attacking style is defeinetly the most used mentality on the game, and it is mostly used at home, or even away if you have a higher rating than the team you wanna play against.

Thank you

THE DEFENSIVE TACTIC

The defesive tactic is fairly used, although it dosent always result in league success and is tough to understand.

I will use this example of my match against Milan to show you what it can do.

Milan played the attacking tactic.I knew it was gonna be a tough game as my Juventus side were away from home.

I opted for the defensive, going for the ball.However, I had 3 strikers up front, so I played the long ball,so that if my defenders had the ball, they could punt it forward, and one of my strikers might recive it and hammer it home.It went accoring to plan.

I beat Milan 1 - 0 in their own stadium(by the way it wasnt an ordinary Milan, it was Sam(Eclipse's) Milan)

mentality -defensive

tackling- hard.The best form of tackling I always say

Passing style- If you are playing for the lone goal and a clean sheet, use long ball,if you want to keep possession, use short.

attacking style- depends, but usually through the middle

tempo- normal, so you have control of what you are doing

presssing- allover.keep them off the ball

counter attack-yes . because you are always on the defensive, try to counter attack and hit the weak at the back attacking team

tight marking- yes,hold on to them well.

men behind ball- yes

playmaker- no.becuase any one can punt the ball up filed

target man-no,because its any bodys ball when you are on the counter.

formation- 5-3-2, 5-4-1, 4-5-1,4-3-2-1

thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

ok umm, a few questions. Doesnt counter attacking only work at a fast tempo?

and also, i have a problem where my strikers are getting loaaddss of shots on goal but they are not scoring. my strikers are quite good too (both rated 92). Any tips to improve?

(im playing 4-4-2/4-3-1-2

Passing short, Tempo fast, pressing Own Half/all over, mentality depends if its a good or bad team, attacking through the middle, tackling hard

Using play maker and sometimes againest strong attacking teams men behind ball)

:)

:eek:

ok umm, a few questions. Doesnt counter attacking only work at a fast tempo?

and also, i have a problem where my strikers are getting loaaddss of shots on goal but they are not scoring. my strikers are quite good too (both rated 92). Any tips to improve?

(im playing 4-4-2/4-3-1-2

Passing short, Tempo fast, pressing Own Half/all over, mentality depends if its a good or bad team, attacking through the middle, tackling hard

Using play maker and sometimes againest strong attacking teams men behind ball)

:)

Lastly, try using target man and switchoff playmaker.:)

okay,counter attacking usually works with fast tempo,but sometimes it goes along even with a normal tempo(never combine with normal tempo.)

Also,it may just bethat the strikers have not got the end product.

Tryusing the 3 5 2 or 3412.

The 3412 has been proven to supply the most goals.Just be cautious you have 3 greatdefenders though, or the ball might be going into your own net

Nice guide' date=' but I have some questions.

When you play defensive and short passing (ex. 5-4-1 or 5-3-2), what tempo is best suited then? And should I use counter attacking if I play slow or normal tempo?[/quote']

noyou shouldnt combine the two.

Also, try fast tempo with short passing, as it iing the opponent away from the ball and keeping possesion, as this is the object of defensive formations.

right. Well my best defender is ROberto Carlos' date=' rated 92, but hes an LB so he wouldnt work in a 3 df system. are CBs of rating 91 safe for a 3 defender system?[/quote']

nah mate thats wrong. a 3 defence syatem works with eiher cb cb cb or rb cb lb.

so it probably will work.

Excellent thread, this one.

One question about the attacking formations like 3-4-1-2. Should the attacking style be set through the middle, so the playmaker (the 1 in the formation) gets utilised as much as possible? Will this work better against a standard 4-4-2 opponent than Mixed attacking?

Excellent thread' date=' this one.

One question about the attacking formations like 3-4-1-2. Should the attacking style be set through the middle, so the playmaker (the 1 in the formation) gets utilised as much as possible? Will this work better against a standard 4-4-2 opponent than Mixed attacking?[/quote']

yes that's right.Through the middle is highly reccomenede for formations like 3412, 451, 352 etc.

If you do not have good central midfielders, you may use down both flanks, although it will probably weaken the strenth of your formation and may result in a draw or a one margin win against the standard 4-4-2.

Hope this helps:)

yes that's right.Through the middle is highly reccomenede for formations like 3412' date=' 451, 352 etc.

If you do not have good central midfielders, you may use down both flanks, although it will probably weaken the strenth of your formation and may result in a draw or a one margin win against the standard 4-4-2.

Hope this helps:)[/quote']

Indeed it does. Tried through the middle and won both games yesterday :) Thanks mate.

hi austen, i wondered if you could give me the best sort of tatics for this line up.

or if the formation is the not the best choice.

4-3-1-2

Van Der Sar

Alves Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Gonzalez Frings/ scholes Keita/giggs

Ronaldo

Rooney Tevez

or this formation

4-1-2-1-2

Van Der Sar

Alves Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Frings

Roanldo Giggs

Scholes

Rooney Tevez

Which is best and what team style would you advise?