During late Spring / early Summer we had a discussion with some members of our community on Discord regarding what needed addressing on SMW and what they'd like to see going forward A summary of this was posted on our Blog back in June which can be viewed here.

This work is being carried out and this is what we are proposing to work on...

Game Worlds

• Apply new features to new GWs. Community vote in older GWs whether they want these introducing.
  • New GWs:
    • Gold GWs in size.
    • Level club assets up by division with cash / facilities.
  • Custom GWs:
  • Decide on rules.
  • No more smaller GWs created.

New Features / Changes

• Player ratings / value:
    • Flexible around fixed rating. Can go up and down by 5 per GW.
    • Value overhaul.
  • Rework economy.
  • Players:
    • Add attributes / hidden attributes.
    • Add roles.
    • Add chemistry.
    • Expand and improve concerns / morale.
    • Improve contracts.
    • Squad limits - use concerns, contracts etc.
    • Squad numbers.
  • Transfers:
    • More transfer options.
    • More loan options.
    • More contract options.
  • Club Facilities:
    • Training - used for tactics, improved players, fitness etc.
    • Scouting - scout better players, reveal chemistry, hidden attributes etc.
    • Youth - better chance of new young players coming to club, improving youth players quicker etc.
    • Club Zone - improve finances / injuries.
      • Improve fan base.
    • 3D Stadium - improve / expand stadium.
      • Improve fan base.
  • Match Day:
    • Improve match engine.
    • Add more tactical options.
    • View in 3D match.
  • Expand cross GW play with connect GWs and/or live friendlies.
  • Make new and community seciton more engaging for example a Facebook style wall.
  • Cheating:
    • Massively increase caps on transfer values.
    • Manually monitor / respond to cheating.
  • Improve AI Clubs
    • Tactics.
    • Transfers.

Interface

• New modern UI across:
    • App (Android / iOS).
    • Desktop .exe
    • Web Browser.

Please feel free to add any constructive feedback.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Steven, all this sounds promising. However (as others have pointed out) I do not agree a lot with the ratings change. The beauty about SM Worlds is that updates come from real world performances -

"personally I love the real world aspect of this game" The same for me, I would leave SM after 11 years, if we lost this aspect of Real Life/Real World and I think many others would. Also I

- more information needed around this. Think I speak for a lot of people when I say the beauty of SM Worlds is the Unique Selling Point (USP) of real-world changes of players. Now, if this is going to

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Steven Paul said:

Flexible around fixed rating. Can go up and down by 5 per GW.

- more information needed around this. Think I speak for a lot of people when I say the beauty of SM Worlds is the Unique Selling Point (USP) of real-world changes of players. Now, if this is going to be linked to player happiness and their rating declines simply due to unhappiness, that could work but otherwise, I’m very pessimistic of this change. 

No more smaller GWs created.

Not everyone wants to play uber competitive 100 team 5 division GameWorlds so I’m a little confused with this one. Why remove this option when some managers like playing smaller setups? Farcical to remove the option. Appears your Discord has been full of VMA-only players and you’ve just taken their views as all players ...

Flexible around fixed rating. Can go up and down by 5 per GW. Does this mean a player will start each GW with a fixed rating but that rating can change based on in-game factors?

Will real world form/ability still impact a players initial fixed rating?

Overall, I think it's great to see SMW getting some updates. Looking forward to you sharing more around each improvement.

During late Spring / early Summer we had a discussion with some members of our community on Discord regarding what needed addressing on SMW and what they'd like to see going forward A summary of this was posted on our Blog back in June which can be viewed here.

This work is being carried out and this is what we are proposing to work on...

Game Worlds

• Apply new features to new GWs. Community vote in older GWs whether they want these introducing.
  • New GWs:
    • Gold GWs in size.
    • Level club assets up by division with cash / facilities.
  • Custom GWs:
  • Decide on rules.
  • No more smaller GWs created.

New Features / Changes

• Value overhaul.
  • Rework economy.
  • Players:
    • Add attributes / hidden attributes.
    • Add roles.
    • Add chemistry.
    • Expand and improve concerns / morale.
    • Improve contracts.
    • Squad limits - use concerns, contracts etc.
    • Squad numbers.
  • Transfers:
    • More transfer options.
    • More loan options.
    • More contract options.
  • Club Facilities:
    • Training - used for tactics, improved players, fitness etc.
    • Scouting - scout better players, reveal chemistry, hidden attributes etc.
    • Youth - better chance of new young players coming to club, improving youth players quicker etc.
    • Club Zone - improve finances / injuries.
      • Improve fan base.
    • 3D Stadium - improve / expand stadium.
      • Improve fan base.
  • Match Day:
    • Improve match engine.
    • Add more tactical options.
    • View in 3D match.
  • Expand cross GW play with connect GWs and/or live friendlies.
  • Make new and community seciton more engaging for example a Facebook style wall.
  • Cheating:
    • Massively increase caps on transfer values.
    • Manually monitor / respond to cheating.
  • Improve AI Clubs
    • Tactics.
    • Transfers.

Interface

• New modern UI across:
    • App (Android / iOS).
    • Desktop .exe
    • Web Browser.

Please feel free to add any constructive feedback.

Overall sounds amazing, but I worry that there are far too many changes proposed, which - if and when implemented - will just end up creating a whole new set of unforeseen problems and complaints. 

Maybe it would be useful if not already planned to have some kind of road map and priorities so that we know what to expect and when, and also time to test new features before they are made permanent? Good, in principle, that you have made them optional for existing GWs, although maybe also need seasonal (or every 5 seasons) review votes?

With the UI, I hope you will learn from the 10th anniversary changes. People have just about got used the new UI, while many like me still use the old UI because you can do things on there that you can't with the new (broken) UI. Will we end up with three web UIs?

And I hope you will not model any new web UI on the SM Elite UI which I have found unplayable.

One of the beauties of SM for me and I think many old-timers (your long-term customers) is that it is a text-based, turn-based, real-world-based game. 3D stadiums and matches are likely of little or no added value, and while it would be nice to be able to play promising real life youths in-game without fear of reducing your ratings and chances of winning so much, I'm not sure in-game ratings changes are necessary or desirable, especially if you are introducing  other player, training and tactical attribute and options. 

52 minutes ago, Lloydy105 said:

- more information needed around this. Think I speak for a lot of people when I say the beauty of SM Worlds is the Unique Selling Point (USP) of real-world changes of players. Now, if this is going to be linked to player happiness and their rating declines simply due to unhappiness, that could work but otherwise, I’m very pessimistic of this change. 

Not everyone wants to play uber competitive 100 team 5 division GameWorlds so I’m a little confused with this one. Why remove this option when some managers like playing smaller setups? Farcical to remove the option. Appears your Discord has been full of VMA-only players and you’ve just taken their views as all players ...

Agree it would be better to leave the smaller gw setup as an option, surely? 

43 minutes ago, Ski13th said:

Flexible around fixed rating. Can go up and down by 5 per GW. Does this mean a player will start each GW with a fixed rating but that rating can change based on in-game factors?

Will real world form/ability still impact a players initial fixed rating?

Overall, I think it's great to see SMW getting some updates. Looking forward to you sharing more around each improvement.

Overall, though, agree exciting times ahead, and great to Worlds getting some long overdue attention. Let's just hope it is properly followed through and finished this time, and people can keep comments constructive.

Nice to hear some positive news for a change but maybe all of this should have been discussed here on the forums?? You know, the people who have had to put up with years of total neglect and continued to put their hard earned money into the game? By saying that this was discussed by a select few is ANOTHER slap in the face for customers who have continued to pay their £20 despite playing a broken game. 

New Features / Changes

Hi Steven, all this sounds promising. However (as others have pointed out) I do not agree a lot with the ratings change. The beauty about SM Worlds is that updates come from real world performances - so you can make transfers based on what you know irl. As you can see, there are many here who are involved with ratings discussions, predictions etc- it's one of the best things about the game.

It would be better if rating updates are quicker, more structured/organised - which I'm happy to offer help with. In that way there would be faster updates across board. Up and down by 5 would be good for certain customs but personally I love the real world aspect of this game. Maybe keep it as an option to include?

As always, big fan for years now. Me and my friends have played for nearly 10 years and have been waiting for an update. SMW is unique asset and has helped fund your other projects. 

Addressing the economy issue thats in most GW’s, that’s the key to making people want to stay in these leagues. No one wants £800m and not be able to spend it. Hopefully these team player caps, new contracts, new concerns, new facilities and stadium building will all help with keeping the game worlds flowing and economy moving. 

Looking forward to the change in player depth and how we can view them. Does this make the players more unique? For example, not just their number rating and position?

Also I welcome having a base rating with a chances to fluctuate, depending on how well he plays in that GW. (That’s what I got from the flexible rating). This player form would make league and transfers a lot more meaning to them. 

Everything else seems to be getting a overhaul and making it less shallow of a game. The new tactics, scouting and facilities will hopefully make youth teams less redundant. 

Lastly, whats the eta of this update? Don’t wanna stray too far away from that 15th Anniversary haha

2 minutes ago, Sir Rahul said:

Hi Steven, all this sounds promising. However (as others have pointed out) I do not agree a lot with the ratings change. The beauty about SM Worlds is that updates come from real world performances - so you can make transfers based on what you know irl. As you can see, there are many here who are involved with ratings discussions, predictions etc- it's one of the best things about the game.

It would be better if rating updates are quicker, more structured/organised - which I'm happy to offer help with. In that way there would be faster updates across board. Up and down by 5 would be good for certain customs but personally I love the real world aspect of this game. Maybe keep it as an option to include?

If I'm understanding the flexibility correctly.

Let's say Werner will start a new GW as 92 rated. If he's unhappy, plays poor or has concerns. He can drop GW rating to a low of 87. If he plays well, wins individual/team awards then he can hit a GW rating high of 97.

If he has a base/fixed rating change (in the normal review based on real world form) then it will effect his GW rating. So, if he was 97 rated in a GW and was to get +1 in the real world review then his GW rating would rise to 98.

@Steven Paul is this correct?

Why are you trying to do so much?

It feels like you've listened to a small cohort of hardcore SMers and haven't thought about the majority of more casual players who have only one or two teams.

Stick to the simple things that managers have been talking about for years.

You'll be a lot better introducing changes incrementally than completely changing the game overnight. Make it an ongoing thing with community feedback at each step.

Judging by most comments I think we all would like to know when this update is looking likely too arrive? 

I like a lot of the points made in the opening posts but hope it gets put through proper tests to make sure it all works before it’s implemented.

Glad to see concerns getting revamped. It’s easy for a player to get a concern in game but ridiculously hard to get the concern down/off.

23 minutes ago, Sir Rahul said:

"personally I love the real world aspect of this game"

The same for me, I would leave SM after 11 years, if we lost this aspect of Real Life/Real World and I think many others would.

Also I use the Old Interface and wouldn't want to change to a new Interface either.

Off Subject: Can we have more than a narrow strip in the Forum please it's ridiculous to have half the width and just blackness on the Right. Can't upload without it being almost unreadable!

11 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Why are you trying to do so much?

This.

I love where the game is going, but IF it is implemented correctly and nicely. Not giving us a lot of bugs. The old SM itself has a lot of bugs! The match engine is broken, match report and 2d matches doesn't align!

The game is not updated at all since 2016. This new update seems very optimistic. If I could suggest, please give the new features one by one and making sure they are bug free. Not a complete overhaul all at once, that could kill the old players/community

I agree with what has been said so far. Doing too many things at the same time is dangerous, especially if you haven't done anything for 4 years...

Take it easy and implement the (long due) new changes gradually.

I hope you won't try to mimic other managerial football games and lose your uniqueness of being the only game intrinsically linked to real football.

29 minutes ago, gyanthecat said:

Take it easy and implement the (long due) new changes gradually.

For the sake of clarity, with this I am not saying to let more years go by before you make any changes. I'm just saying don't do all the things you mentioned at the same time.

And maybe let us know an indicative timeline for those changes.

1 hour ago, Ski13th said:

If I'm understanding the flexibility correctly.

Let's say Werner will start a new GW as 92 rated. If he's unhappy, plays poor or has concerns. He can drop GW rating to a low of 87. If he plays well, wins individual/team awards then he can hit a GW rating high of 97.

If he has a base/fixed rating change (in the normal review based on real world form) then it will effect his GW rating. So, if he was 97 rated in a GW and was to get +1 in the real world review then his GW rating would rise to 98.

@Steven Paul is this correct?

This is essentially correct. The real world link would be paramount but each individual GW would be slightly different and the rating/valuation would reflect that. Lots of factors would change the rating form/game time/morale/chemistry/training etc.

If you played a young 85 player in your team he could potentially play as a 90 rated for you. Similarly if you have a 90 rated player and never play him, he would drop to an 85 rated, be worth less and play worse. Squad management becomes more important and thats the direction we want to take the game.

Also, this already happens to some degree, a 90 rated with low fitness and low morale doesn't play as a 90 rated, so its a an extension of this but adding more factors into it and letting the rating go higher not just lower.

12 minutes ago, Jose7 said:

Agree with the other posters.

Sorry SM but most of these changes are just unnecessary and will ruin the game. 

The majority on this thread are welcoming the proposed changes and asking for a timeline and more information.

Both of which we will provide.

Timeline wise this will take 9-12 months to complete, any new changes will go into new 'Beta' GWs to be tested and tweaked, which we hope to have as many of the community to play in as possible.

Any existing GWs will have the option at the end of a season to bring across the new updates/changes once they have been greenlit in the Beta GWs.

If the majority of users in a current GW don't wont them, then their GW will carry on as normal. However if we get the changes right and are fully tested and tweaked in the Beta GWs we believe most users will want the new changes and features.

1 minute ago, Lloydy105 said:

@chris16 @Steven Is it possible to explain the rationale behind removing smaller GameWorlds from custom GameWorld options? It’s been included in the update but this is the removal of an option - an option that many of us enjoy over playing 100 team 5 division setups. Perhaps some more details here? 

Sorry for the misunderstanding, they WON'T be removed from Custom GW options, just the Standard ones that SM create. We plan on massively expanding Custom GW options.

7 minutes ago, chris16 said:

The majority on this thread are welcoming the proposed changes and asking for a timeline and more information.

Not all changes are welcome.

7 minutes ago, chris16 said:

Timeline wise this will take 9-12 months to complete

You guys are serious about taking it easy! :D

5 minutes ago, chris16 said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, they WON'T be removed from Custom GW options, just the Standard ones that SM create. We plan on massively expanding Custom GW options.

Appreciate the response mate, it was the colon that suggested it was relative to custom GWs. 

15 hours ago, Steven Paul said:
  • Custom GWs:
  • Decide on rules.
  • No more smaller GWs created