15 hours ago, Steven Paul said:

During late Spring / early Summer we had a discussion with some members of our community on Discord regarding what needed addressing on SMW and what they'd like to see going forward A summary of this was posted on our Blog back in June which can be viewed here.

This work is being carried out and this is what we are proposing to work on...

Game Worlds

• Apply new features to new GWs. Community vote in older GWs whether they want these introducing.
  • New GWs:
    • Gold GWs in size.
    • Level club assets up by division with cash / facilities.
  • Custom GWs:
  • Decide on rules.
  • No more smaller GWs created.

New Features / Changes

• Player ratings / value:
    • Flexible around fixed rating. Can go up and down by 5 per GW.
    • Value overhaul.
  • Rework economy.
  • Players:
    • Add attributes / hidden attributes.
    • Add roles.
    • Add chemistry.
    • Expand and improve concerns / morale.
    • Improve contracts.
    • Squad limits - use concerns, contracts etc.
    • Squad numbers.
  • Transfers:
    • More transfer options.
    • More loan options.
    • More contract options.
  • Club Facilities:
    • Training - used for tactics, improved players, fitness etc.
    • Scouting - scout better players, reveal chemistry, hidden attributes etc.
    • Youth - better chance of new young players coming to club, improving youth players quicker etc.
    • Club Zone - improve finances / injuries.
      • Improve fan base.
    • 3D Stadium - improve / expand stadium.
      • Improve fan base.
  • Match Day:
    • Improve match engine.
    • Add more tactical options.
    • View in 3D match.
  • Expand cross GW play with connect GWs and/or live friendlies.
  • Make new and community seciton more engaging for example a Facebook style wall.
  • Cheating:
    • Massively increase caps on transfer values.
    • Manually monitor / respond to cheating.
  • Improve AI Clubs
    • Tactics.
    • Transfers.

Interface

• New modern UI across:
    • App (Android / iOS).
    • Desktop .exe
    • Web Browser.

Please feel free to add any constructive feedback.

Hi,

I am really concerned just like many others about the smaller standard GW’s being stripped off. That would be a massive blow to many. Please rethink the same as many of us don’t prefer a 100 team GW. Will the existing smaller standard GW’s be discarded?

Also, please clarify about the chemistry & hidden attribute for scouting update? Like how do we improve chemistry and how do we see the hidden attributes while scouting?

I am massively thrilled about the changes apart from the scrapping of smaller GW’s. I would love to be a part of the Beta test GW as well. @chris16@Steven Paul

PS - Would be perfect if the updates come up quicker. 😅

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Steven, all this sounds promising. However (as others have pointed out) I do not agree a lot with the ratings change. The beauty about SM Worlds is that updates come from real world performances -

"personally I love the real world aspect of this game" The same for me, I would leave SM after 11 years, if we lost this aspect of Real Life/Real World and I think many others would. Also I

Why are you trying to do so much? It feels like you've listened to a small cohort of hardcore SMers and haven't thought about the majority of more casual players who have only one or two teams.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mike0007 said:

Hi,

I am really concerned just like many others about the smaller standard GW’s being stripped off. That would be a massive blow to many. Please rethink the same as many of us don’t prefer a 100 team GW. Will the existing smaller standard GW’s be discarded?

Also, please clarify about the chemistry & hidden attribute for scouting update? Like how do we improve chemistry and how do we see the hidden attributes while scouting?

I am massively thrilled about the changes apart from the scrapping of smaller GW’s. I would love to be a part of the Beta test GW as well. @chris16@Steven Paul

PS - Would be perfect if the updates come up quicker. 😅

We will develop it as quickly as we can!

We wont be discarding any current GWs, we just wont be making any more smaller ones ourselves. Users will be able to create them either via Custom or Standard options in the shop.

1 hour ago, chris16 said:

This is essentially correct. The real world link would be paramount but each individual GW would be slightly different and the rating/valuation would reflect that. Lots of factors would change the rating form/game time/morale/chemistry/training etc.

If you played a young 85 player in your team he could potentially play as a 90 rated for you. Similarly if you have a 90 rated player and never play him, he would drop to an 85 rated, be worth less and play worse. Squad management becomes more important and thats the direction we want to take the game.

Also, this already happens to some degree, a 90 rated with low fitness and low morale doesn't play as a 90 rated, so its a an extension of this but adding more factors into it and letting the rating go higher not just lower.

So if a 90 rated player drops to 85, and then is sold to an external club, will his rating stay at 85 or jump back to 90? 

And what about if he's bought by another managed club as 85 rated? Will he go back to 90 at his new club?

And if the player's rating in the game as a whole (his Soccerwiki rating) goes up to 91, does it increase in the GW where he's dropped to 85? 

I'm very welcoming of the changes, but not at all convinced by this change, which I find a bit confusing and unneeded. Sounds like you have time to test it properly though. 

16 hours ago, Steven Paul said:

Players:

• Add roles.

I’m excited by attributes and roles for sure. I feel this sort of addition adds a bit of complexity to the game so I’m all for it. 

- are you able to tell us more around the idea of attributes and hidden attributes? Perhaps each player could have a hidden attributes that are both positive and negative? 
- Regarding roles, are we taking corner taker/free-kicks/penalties/captain etc or are we talking positional roles, ie best suited as a defensive full back over wing back so if you have arrows going forward they may play worse as it’s a role they’re not accustomed to playing? Or perhaps both? 

Add chemistry.

How will chemistry work? Will we benefit from having settled teams who are used to playing in the same formation/position? Will nationality/real world teammates in the same team help also? Perhaps you could tell us more. 

Expand and improve concerns / morale.

Huge fan of this and any other feature that alleviates player hoarding. I just hope the other moving parts are robust enough not to be exploited, i.e. sending a player on loan every season doesn’t just alleviate player concerns/morale. 

• More transfer options.
  • More loan options.

Perhaps buy-back/sell-on clauses? Perhaps loan with option to buy at a given price clause? 

More contract options.

Hopefully the 2 year player contract renewal is bugged as you can currently somewhat resolve any morale issue by renewing a players contract every 2 years, instead of giving a player a 5 year extension. I’d like to think a player being given a longer extension would increase incrementally given the faith you’ve given in extending him long-term. 

Training - used for tactics, improved players, fitness etc.

Perhaps a % happiness for the team/individually in playing a particular system/formation that could be worked on every so often? Would hopefully resolve every manager playing 4231B or 433B. Perhaps an intensity measurable so you can select low/medium/high. Benefits being you choose between a fitter side (low) or a team more happy with the system but risk training injuries (high)? 
how would improved players work? This is intriguing but would need to be done right for me, so that real world performance/ratings still mattered as it’s the unique selling point and beauty of SM Worlds. 

Youth - better chance of new young players coming to club, improving youth players quicker etc.

I would like to see squad size factored into these improvements too. In a sense that you can only improve a specific amount of players per week or whatever. Would alleviate player hoarding. Also, perhaps players consider when moving to a club whether there are other players at the club who play in that position and may limit their gametime? Perhaps contract talks as you sign where you discuss what you can offer them (ie first-team football/squad rotation) etc and if it’s not met, their morale is hit. 

Club Zone - improve finances / injuries.

• Improve fan base.

Would be great to improve fan base as although we know the clubs stadia capacity, it’s hit and miss as to what clubs fill their stadia. Excited to see how this is done. 

@chris16

Daily player since july 2010 here. I have some questions:

- I don't really understand the +5/-5 rating news. Will we be able to keep the ratings based on real life performances in custom gameworlds and/or in old public gameworlds? Because this is one of the best things of the game, if not the best.

- Will you change the squad size limit in old gameworlds?

- Will you give the possibility to custom gameworlds owners to have more power, like for example to remove a manager from it?

- Will you reduce the 30 days login in public gameworld? Personally, I'm playing in the first gameworld ever created (English Championship 1) and there are literally 40-50/80 clubs that login once every month and this has killed the gameworld. Changing it from 30 to 14/10 days would probably revitalize this gameworld and a lot of other gameworlds.

- In a nutshell, will we be able to play the game with "old" features after the new update, if we want?

Thanks in advance for your answer. Marek.

2 hours ago, Soccahappy said:

"personally I love the real world aspect of this game"

The same for me, I would leave SM after 11 years, if we lost this aspect of Real Life/Real World and I think many others would.

Also I use the Old Interface and wouldn't want to change to a new Interface either.

Off Subject: Can we have more than a narrow strip in the Forum please it's ridiculous to have half the width and just blackness on the Right. Can't upload without it being almost unreadable!

Me too. 

2 hours ago, chris16 said:

This is essentially correct. The real world link would be paramount but each individual GW would be slightly different and the rating/valuation would reflect that. Lots of factors would change the rating form/game time/morale/chemistry/training etc.

If you played a young 85 player in your team he could potentially play as a 90 rated for you. Similarly if you have a 90 rated player and never play him, he would drop to an 85 rated, be worth less and play worse. Squad management becomes more important and thats the direction we want to take the game.

Also, this already happens to some degree, a 90 rated with low fitness and low morale doesn't play as a 90 rated, so its a an extension of this but adding more factors into it and letting the rating go higher not just lower.

So the whole point of rating predictions would go then? 

2 minutes ago, kelvintcosta said:

After years of waiting for an update, are there people complaining? This is crazy. Updates are welcome, I can't wait to be able to play the updated SM. I'm another one who's been playing for almost 10 years. I am available to help in whatever way possible, regarding the SM community.

Updates are welcome if they are good. Not all updates are.

This forum was updated in 2015 without warning and a lot of regular users left. 

16 minutes ago, Sir Rahul said:

So the whole point of rating predictions would go then? 

No, The real world link would be paramount and is fundamental to the game, its 100% key to the game and always will be.

As explained above it would allow GWs to all be a little bit more unique and builds on how it already works. It would allow for more in depth squad management and new ways to play the game.

16 minutes ago, Sir Rahul said:

Ok, initial reactions done. I will give my thoughts and suggestions for every proposed changes.

First of all, this is quote is very important, the reason I play SM until today:

1 hour ago, gyanthecat said:

I hope you won't try to mimic other managerial football games and lose your uniqueness of being the only game intrinsically linked to real football.

Game Worlds

• Apply new features to new GWs. Community vote in older GWs whether they want these introducing.
  • New GWs:
    • Gold GWs in size.
    • Level club assets up by division with cash / facilities.
  • Custom GWs:
  • Decide on rules.
  • No more smaller GWs created.

Honestly, this could make you lose players. Personally, I love a busy game worlds. I miss playing SM in old days where world championships are 75% full. But there was a disadvantage, I couldn't play games using my favorite team! I believe there is a lot of managers that are picky about their team. I believe there need to be balance between Gold GW size and small GW. I do agree that currently there is excess game worlds compared to players.

Here is my proposal:

• Create big game world twice a year (After summer and winter transfer window)
  • Create small game worlds in between (~ one new GW per month?)
  • Start GW only if there is 50% manager
  • Players:
    • Add roles.
    • Add chemistry.
    • Expand and improve concerns / morale.
    • Improve contracts.
    • Squad limits - use concerns, contracts etc.
    • Squad numbers.
  • Transfers:
    • More transfer options.
    • More loan options.
    • More contract options.

Excited with all of this! Except squad numbers, I'm really looking forward with all of this improvement.

Lack of opportunity concern is an opportunity to combat hoarders.

I think the good number to build squad is 5-deep for every position (max ~55 players) because IRL teams are only registering 25 players. So 25 seniors + 25 reserve/youth

• 90+ and prime age (25-30) players should be at least in 2-deep
  • 88+ rated and 21+ age should be fine as rotational player, so at least in 3-deep
  • under 21 can fill the 4-5 deeps

Club Facilities:

• Training - used for tactics, improved players, fitness etc.
  • Scouting - scout better players, reveal chemistry, hidden attributes etc.
  • Youth - better chance of new young players coming to club, improving youth players quicker etc.
  • Club Zone - improve finances / injuries.
    • Improve fan base.
  • 3D Stadium - improve / expand stadium.
    • Improve fan base.

I don't think this is necessary. I smell P2W scheme for some reason. Could you elaborate the "Youth" part? Improving youth player quicker? I hope this game still based on real life stat.

And I don't need scouting, I already have @jaybee😁

• Match Day:
    • Improve match engine.
    • Add more tactical options.
    • View in 3D match.
  • Expand cross GW play with connect GWs and/or live friendlies.

I don't think this is necessary either. It is great addition. BUT, today's match engine and connect GWs are very buggy. Sadly, because SM failed in creating 2D match, I have low expectation with 3D match.

• Make new and community section more engaging for example a Facebook style wall.
  • Cheating:
    • Massively increase caps on transfer values.
    • Manually monitor / respond to cheating.
  • Improve AI Clubs
    • Tactics.
    • Transfers.

YES! Please improve cheating reports. AI Clubs shouldn't loan low-rated players. And community section could be better, can we have a community section preference? I'm tired important message gets buried by transfer news.

17 hours ago, Steven Paul said:

Interface

• New modern UI across:
    • App (Android / iOS).
    • Desktop .exe
    • Web Browser.

Well, the last time SM introduce new interface was a failure. Please test the UI before releasing it.

This sounds fantastic just what SM needs it’s going to make it far more realistic. I think some of you are miss understanding the ratings +5 -5. The player will always have his base rating as he does now but based on in game factors ie how you manage them that base rating can fluctuate by 5 either way. It still means there is a base rating of course but adds an extra element of man management. I think it’s a fantastic idea. No more hoarding 90’s out of pure greed just because you don’t want someone else to have them

1 minute ago, Marek said:

Thanks. What about the other questions? 

I think I've explained the flexible ratings by GW in the thread.

We don't have answers to the other questions as yet. The OP is to set the direction of travel and open it up to the community to discuss. We will take note of the feedback and questions and respond going forward.

Next steps will to be to provide more substantial designs and a timeline of work.

Very interesting to see the game being updated after quite sometime. Some of these changes are more then welcomed. Hope that they are properly thought through and tested. But as some already said, and I also play the game for the some time, I've a few questions over some of these changes:

How would the flexible rating work in case of the player being sold? He'll be back to his base rating? Or maintain his current rating? And if his base rating changes will his current rating improve accordingly? As these things could change a lot on how much the real world influences on the game. The same can be said about how often and organized the base rating of each player is changed. As rahul said some of us like a lot of this aspect of the game.

Also, the changes in concern will consider his base rating or his current rating on how much he should play? Because if the latter depending on how often his current rating changes it could be very difficult to control how much a player needs to play in order for him not to grow concerns.

Also the economy of the game should have some changes as it is often too easy to get a lot of money an not being able to spend it. Even with squad caps it could be quite difficult.

Also as a lot of people said it is very important to have some sort of proper manual/explanation as to how each change, mainly in tactics, concerns, roles, chemistry affect the game and its results. As sometimes the game has quite random results despite having a big difference between two teams. Like it is not so common more to have scores from more than 5~6 goals between a very strong and a very weak team.

Overall, I think these changes are quite welcomed and be glad to help in some way. As I think almost everyone that is still here in this forum likes the game, but wants the real problems/bugs of the game being assessed first.

16 minutes ago, Rossi4601 said:

This sounds fantastic just what SM needs it’s going to make it far more realistic. I think some of you are miss understanding the ratings +5 -5. The player will always have his base rating as he does now but based on in game factors ie how you manage them that base rating can fluctuate by 5 either way. It still means there is a base rating of course but adds an extra element of man management. I think it’s a fantastic idea. No more hoarding 90’s out of pure greed just because you don’t want someone else to have them

Don’t think people are misunderstanding the concept, I think people are raising concerns as to how it will operate in-game. The concept is intriguing, I just worry the +/-5 is too heavy a weighting 

19 minutes ago, Troianos77 said:

How would the flexible rating work in case of the player being sold? He'll be back to his base rating? Or maintain his current rating?

It would stay the same. Player with 90 BR and 85 GR is sold he would still be 85 GR but the new club could get him back to 90 and beyond. Should add some extra elements to transfer dealings.

19 minutes ago, Troianos77 said:

And if his base rating changes will his current rating improve accordingly?

Yes (or down). Player with 90 BR and 85 GR goes up one the player would then be 91 BR and 86 GR.

All of this is to be finalised and is open for discussion and debate.

14 minutes ago, Lloydy105 said:

The concept is intriguing, I just worry the +/-5 is too heavy a weighting

The +/- may be too heavy or it may be too weak. The exact number can be tweaked and changed to get the right balance in the new 'Beta' GWs and based on community feedback.

For example it might be good to have a higher range for younger players? who knows? lets see what you guys come up with.

3 minutes ago, chris16 said:

The +/- may be too heavy or it may be too weak. The exact number can be tweaked and changed to get the right balance in the new 'Beta' GWs and based on community feedback.

For example it might be good to have a higher range for younger players? who knows? lets see what you guys come up with.

I think the rating variation should be the same across all ages. I think 5 +/- is fair, giving more chance for upset and give good management a bonus. I can also see 93-rated player performing like 88 (eriksen cough...)

Will it be capped? Messi could get to 103?

30 minutes ago, chris16 said:

It would stay the same. Player with 90 BR and 85 GR is sold he would still be 85 GR but the new club could get him back to 90 and beyond. Should add some extra elements to transfer dealings.

Yes (or down). Player with 90 BR and 85 GR goes up one the player would then be 91 BR and 86 GR.

All of this is to be finalised and is open for discussion and debate.

Thanks.
These changes in current rating will be fixed or dinamic? Meaning, it will be as easy for a 93 player to go up(or down) a rating as a 85? And will they occur in fixed times of a season like current concerns (rounds 12, 24 and 36) or can they happen at any given moment?

2 hours ago, Lloydy105 said:

I’m excited by attributes and roles for sure. I feel this sort of addition adds a bit of complexity to the game so I’m all for it. 

- are you able to tell us more around the idea of attributes and hidden attributes? Perhaps each player could have a hidden attributes that are both positive and negative? 
- Regarding roles, are we taking corner taker/free-kicks/penalties/captain etc or are we talking positional roles, ie best suited as a defensive full back over wing back so if you have arrows going forward they may play worse as it’s a role they’re not accustomed to playing? Or perhaps both? 

How will chemistry work? Will we benefit from having settled teams who are used to playing in the same formation/position? Will nationality/real world teammates in the same team help also? Perhaps you could tell us more. 

Huge fan of this and any other feature that alleviates player hoarding. I just hope the other moving parts are robust enough not to be exploited, i.e. sending a player on loan every season doesn’t just alleviate player concerns/morale. 

Perhaps buy-back/sell-on clauses? Perhaps loan with option to buy at a given price clause? 

Hopefully the 2 year player contract renewal is bugged as you can currently somewhat resolve any morale issue by renewing a players contract every 2 years, instead of giving a player a 5 year extension. I’d like to think a player being given a longer extension would increase incrementally given the faith you’ve given in extending him long-term. 

Perhaps a % happiness for the team/individually in playing a particular system/formation that could be worked on every so often? Would hopefully resolve every manager playing 4231B or 433B. Perhaps an intensity measurable so you can select low/medium/high. Benefits being you choose between a fitter side (low) or a team more happy with the system but risk training injuries (high)? 
how would improved players work? This is intriguing but would need to be done right for me, so that real world performance/ratings still mattered as it’s the unique selling point and beauty of SM Worlds. 

I would like to see squad size factored into these improvements too. In a sense that you can only improve a specific amount of players per week or whatever. Would alleviate player hoarding. Also, perhaps players consider when moving to a club whether there are other players at the club who play in that position and may limit their gametime? Perhaps contract talks as you sign where you discuss what you can offer them (ie first-team football/squad rotation) etc and if it’s not met, their morale is hit. 

Would be great to improve fan base as although we know the clubs stadia capacity, it’s hit and miss as to what clubs fill their stadia. Excited to see how this is done. 

@chris16

A lot of these are still to be finalised and fleshed out but we have things like hidden attributes and Chemistry in SM21. We may tweak and change to be more appropriate to Worlds.

In SM21 hidden attributes include loyalty, ambition and handling pressure.

Also in SM21, Chemistry is a mixture of tactics, training and how well they fit into a squad.

1 minute ago, Troianos77 said:

Thanks.
These changes in current rating will be fixed or dinamic? Meaning, it will be as easy for a 93 player to go up(or down) a rating as a 85? And will they occur in fixed times of a season like current concerns (rounds 12, 24 and 36) or can they happen at any given moment?

All to be figured out over the coming weeks and months and refined in the new 'Beta' GWs based on your feedback.

Sounds like I won't see 10 years playing this game.

SM have had very little respect for their paying customers it has been disgusting, their last lot of so called improvements made the game worse and now they are treating the game the same as the single player game, thinking that their customers are all 11 year olds.

All very sad to see those that invented the game are now so clueless about it.