Sign in to follow this  
col lufc #

The One

Re: The One

Cup winning manager and former Az Alkmaar favourite John Friel who resigned at the end of last season has been tipped to replace outgoing Lokomotiv Moscow manager Teje. Reports suggest the reason behind the sacking of Teje was due to fielding ineligble players and after numerous warnings the league chairman had enough and outsted him from his position. Although nothing has been confirmed yet it is expected that the Scotsman will pen a 12 month contract later today with the club having the option to extend depending on performance.

League Two

Anderlecht (Smartdoc) 4 - 3 Parma (KevG)

A great game of end to end football that sees the home team just edging it

Bolton Wanderers (Sinny) 1 - 3 Osasuna (Samir)

Osasuna go 5 points clear at the top with this away win

Lokomotiv Moskva (Jinky) 2 - 1 Nueva Chicago (Kevche)

A Bilyaletdinov goal with just 2 minutes to go gives Jinky a dream start at Lokomotiv

Sliema Wanderers (George) 0 - 2 Standard Liege (Robbie)

Goals from Jovanovic and Toama give Liege all 3 points

Steaua Bucureşti (Nathan) 2 - 3 Lyn Oslo (Gerry)

A great away win moves Lyn up to 3rd place

Levante (Ben) 1 - 3 VFL Wolfsburg (Gordon)

Aguero hatrick gives Wolfsburg a great away win

Racing Santander(Tom M) 1 - 1 Monaco (Steve)

Both teams have to settle for a point

untitled-86.jpg

League One

Estudiantes (Tom P) 3 - 0 Bayer Leverkusen (Allan)

Back to back wins moves Estudiantes into 2nd place

Toluca (Bestpay) 1 - 0 Nancy (Ross)

Toluce bounce back after last weeks hammering to shock high flying Nancy

Birmingham City (Luke) 3 - 2 AZ Alkmaar (Austin)

4 games unbeaten now for Birmingham who move 6 points clear of the bottom 4

Zenit St Petersburg (Cally) 2 - 4 Santos (Simon)

After going 3 games without a win Santos getting a needed win to stay 4 points clear at the top

Portsmouth (Tony) 1 - 2 Villarreal (Welshman)

In form Villarreal just keep on winning 6 in a row now

Dynamo Kyiv (Zazoon) 8 -1 Heerenveen (Mark)

Kyiv hit 8 yes Eight goals passed a shell shocked Heerenveen

Mallorca (Me) 1 - 3 Galatasaray (Shels)

A good away win for Galatasaray who are just 6 points off top place

untitled-88.jpg

Manager Of The Month

(June)

22 managers voted and here are the results

League One

Bestpay 1 vote

Shels 1 vote

Simon 5 votes

Welshman 15 votes

Well Done Welshman

League two

George 1 vote

Gordon 2 votes

Robbie 2 votes

Smartdoc 2 votes

Tom M 4 votes

Samir 11 votes

For the 2nd month running

Well Done Samir

Rampant Racing Carry League Form Into Shield

2029.gif

Racing Santander's recent league form which has seen them claim 16 points from a possible 18 in the last 6 league games was tonight mirrored in their performances in the shield.

At the beginning of June, Racing were desperately clinging onto their position in the promotion spots of Division 2. Three weeks and six games later, la Racinguistas are hot on the heels of league leaders and Spanish rivals Osasuna, lying only 2 points behing Samir's pace-setters. With 7 games remaining in the league, Racing manager Tom Mills is confident his 7-point cushion over Lyn Oslo in 5th is enough to see his side promoted at the first time of asking, but Mills has declared - "Promotion isn't enough".

At the start of the season, Mills would've been happy with promotion to the promised land. However, given the circumstances they find themselves in, the Englishman believes the squad he has at his disposal has enough quality within to win Division 2 outright - and lead the North Spaniards to success in 'The One Shield'.

Tonight, Racing defeated Gordon's strong Wolfsburg side for the third time this season. The Germans would've hoped tonight would be third time lucky after home and away league defeats at the hands of Mills' Santander side, but once again, the Spaniards proved too strong for the Wolves. Despite an impressive start for the visiting side, which saw the Lower Saxonians race to a first-half 2-0 lead after goals from Jozy Altidore (14 mins) and Pavel Nedved (15 mins), a resilient and energetic Racing side proved once again their Division 1 credentials with a fantastic second-half comeback. 20-year old Ukrainian forward Oleksandr Hladky triggered the fightback on 62 minutes, with a clinical finish from the edge of the box. This gave the home side a lot of momentum, and a minute later, local-born right-winger Markel Susaeta drew the sides level with a tidy finish after some neat footwork. After equalising, there was only ever going to be one winner, and after piling on the pressure, Fernando Cavenaghi completed the comeback with only 11 minutes of normal time remaining. The Argentinian goal-machine showed good strength to climb above his marker and power the winning header past a helpless Gregory Coupet.

susaeta240907_ES.jpg

Man of the Match Markel Susaeta has been in superb form since joining from local rivals Athletic Bilbao.

Despite an injury to Greek full-back Vassilis Torosidis, Racing manager Tom Mills was jubilant after his sides progression to the final of the Shield. "At the start of the season, I told....no, no....I warned the manager within this whole set-up that Racing are a side on the up. Recently, we've proved we are worthy of Division 1 status. Not only that, our blinding form in both league and shield competitions has struck fear into the managers of Division 1 sides. They know, come next season, when they play the newly promoted champions of Division 1, they're going to have to play out of their skins to get anything from this Racing Santander side. I'm so proud of my players...my whole squad. And the best thing is, the players I have and the squad as a whole are only going to get better."

Racing Santander will meet Tony Baldo's Division 1 relegation candidates Portsmouth, a game which Mills knows won't be easy against a side searching for something positive from what has been an overall disappointing season. However, Tom Mills' Spaniards are confident of bringing silverware back to El Sardinero on the 22nd of July, and have already beaten established Division 1 opposition on their run to the final, in the form of Bestpay's mid-table Mexican's Toluca - which saw la Racinguistas run out comfortable 3-1 victors.

The Northern Spaniards will also be looking to bring home the Division 2 championship trophy 9 days after the Shield final, finishing their season on the 31st of July with a potentially difficult home game against a young and talented Standard Liege side managed by RobbieM. However, the real league showdown will come in 2 games time. A home game against Samir's league-leading Osasuna side will represent a title showdown and the local derby of the season, and promises to be a real classic for all in attendance. If both clubs carry on their spectacular form in the game prior to the big showdown, it will mean the game may decide the Division 2 title. A win for Osasuna will see them open up a 5-point gap over Mills' Racing, but a win for la Racinguistas would mean Racing will become league leaders at a crucial stage of the season, and could give them the momentum and confidence needed to see the season out as league champions.

Campos.jpg

Tom Mills is confident of bringing double success to El Sardinero, and la Racinguistas' adoring fans.

Despite very little recent transfer movement, which has seen only 3 players - all youth players - join since Turn 1 of the season, Mills believes his side has the quality, energy and depth to bring success to El Sardinero. "We have quality in every position. We have depth and cover in every position. We have youth and energy in every position. This is the perfect formula that will see my Racing side bring double success to our deserving fans. Let's get used to the success. I promise it will continue...", was Tom Mills' message to Racing's adoring fans.

Manager of the month Welshman :confused:.. Villareal 1-5 Nancy

Ohh' date=' it was for last month :).[/quote']

Having problems accessing my accounts to do tactics so couldn't do them.....Not nice to gloat Ross.....lol

League Two

July

untitled-90.jpg

Wins for Parma (KevG) Levante (Ben) Standard Liege (Robbie) Racing Santander(Tom M) Anderlecht (Smartdoc) Monaco (Steve)

untitled-91.jpg

Wins for Osasuna (Samir) Monaco (Steve) Standard Liege (Robbie) Racing Santander(Tom M) Nueva Chicago (Kevche) VFL Wolfsburg (Gordon)

untitled-92.jpg

Racing Santander cut Osasuna lead at the top to just 2 point

Wolfsburg and Parma sit in the other two promotion spots

League One

July

untitled-93.jpg

Wins for Santos (Simon) Villarreal (Welshman) Estudiantes (Tom P) Galatasaray (Shels) Zenit St Petersburg (Cally) Portsmouth (Tony) Birmingham City (Luke)

untitled-94.jpg

Wins for Nancy (Ross) Birmingham City (Luke) Toluca (Bestpay) Heerenveen (Mark) Galatasaray (Shels)

untitled-95.jpg

In a very tight league Santos lead by just 3 points with Galatasaray and Estudiantes breathing down their necks but dont rule out anyone in the top 7 just yet

The Result That Shook The Set-Up

2029.gif

Tonight, the game that would effectively determine which team would enter Division One of 'The One' as Division Two Champions took place at El Sardinero, in Santander. Facing off were the two teams who have been jostling for top spot for some time. Tom Mills' Real Racing Club de Santander and Samir's Club Atletico Osasuna. Two clubs, both of whom play their football in the hills of Northern Spain, who tonight, as the season draws to a close, finally met to decide who would claim the title of Champions.

Last Thursday, in the previous round of fixtures, both teams were expected to extend their great runs of form. However, both Santander and Osasuna slipped up in their respective games against Steaua Bucuresti and Parma. Santander fought a hard battle in the Romanian capital to earn a draw. This result allowed la Racinguistas to gain a point on league leaders Osasuna, who were taught a lesson in football, with a 5-1 home defeat at the hands of dark-horses Parma. This meant that there was only a point between league leaders Osasuna and an ambitious Santander side, as tonight's game loomed.

Then, after all the rumours of in-camp disagreements and board disgruntlement, Racing Santander finally stepped out in front of their adoring home fans, alongside an Osasuna side desperate to show they were still the team to beat in this division. And that is exactly what Tom Mills' men did.

After controlling 56% of the game, trying their luck at goal 20 times - of which they tested the opposition keeper 12 times - and showing the ability their manager always said they had, Racing Santander claimed top spot with only 5 games left to play with a dominant 3-1 win over an Osasuna.

A game, which started very cagily, was split wide open after 39 minutes, when Racing's Spanish starlet Trinidad Diego Capel hit a spectacular effort into the top corner of a despairing Andres Palop's net. The home side went into half-time leading the game, much to the delight of the home fans. However, Samir's 15 minutes at half-time with his team was immediately shown when the teams resumed, when Argentinian winger Neri Cardozo equalised on 49 minutes with an easy tap-in, which silenced the home fans. The game then became very scrappy, with very little in the way of clear chances to score for either team. This all changed when, on 66 minutes, after both sets of fans had become desperate for their team to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, Tom Mills' record signing did so single-handedly. Leite Ribeiro Adriano, the powerful Brazilian forward who, within 24 minutes, justified why his manager had put so much trust in him. His first goal of the game saw the 'sleeping giant' use all of his best attributes - pace, power and finishing - when he burst into the box and lashed home the goal which sent the home supporters into raptures. This goal seemed to deflate the away side, and there was only ever going to be one winner after that. The victory was made sweeter with Adriano's second goal 7 minutes from time, when he took advantage of poor communication between Osasuna's defence and goalkeeper to make the result look as comfortable as the dominant performance.

adriano270606.jpg

Tonight, Brazilian superstar Adriano repaid his manager's faith in the only way he knows how, by firing his team to victory.

Man of the Match was the young winger who opened the scoring. Trinidad Diego Capel, who spent the match in his unorthodox position on the right-hand side of midfield, showed his maturity and limitless potential with a magical display, tearing the Osasuna defence to shreds. And despite Brazilian powerhouse Adriano playing a blinder and making the difference on the scoresheet, it was the Spanish starlet who stole the show.

capelsub21.jpg

Spanish starlet Trinidad Diego Capel, pictured playing for his native Spain, showed his endless talent with a mesmorising performance.

As a result of their famous victory, Racing Santander now sit proudly at the top of the league, two points clear of defeated Spanish rivals Osasuna and ten points ahead of a non-promotion position. With 5 games remaining, Tom Mills' side have all of the momentum, and will be hoping they can successfully play the season out at the top of the league, and go on to win the 'The One Shield' against Portsmouth in a couple of weeks time - a double feat Tom Mills is confident his side can achieve.

Englishman Tom Mills was an unpopular choice for Racing fans at the time of his appointment, but his promise of Division One football next season and general long-term success seems to be a promise fulfilled - which won't do his popularity with the fans any harm. "My first promise has almost been fulfilled. Now I want domination in Division One, and I promise to bring it to our fans". And after his first successful season, who's to say Tom Mills won't fulfill his next promise...

Osasuna: We Want Top Spot

Osasuna say they still believe that they will claim top spot. Despite a 5-1 hammering at the hands of Parma and a defeat to rivals Racing Satander Samir has reiterated that he still wants top spot. "I am very disappointed by the teams performance in the past two games. I have told the lads that i want top spot this season. We have to hope that Racing slip up. The have a manager who knows what his doing and he is in a great position. I have no clue what has gone wrong in the past 2 games because we have played fantastically well the whole season". Samir has guaranteed the Osasuna faithful that his team will try their utmost to gain top spot.

League Two

July

untitled-96.jpg

Wins for Sliema Wanderers (George) VFL Wolfsburg (Gordon) Anderlecht (Smartdoc) Parma (KevG)

untitled-97.jpg

Wins for Anderlecht (Smartdoc) VFL Wolfsburg (Gordon) Steaua Bucureşti (Nathan) Sliema Wanderers (George) Bolton Wanderers (Sinny) Standard Liege (Robbie) Racing Santander(Tom M)

untitled-98.jpg

Santander go top after winning the top of table clash over Osasuna

Wolfsburg keep the heat on the the top two after picking up 9 points from the last 3 games

A up and down week for Parma winning at Osasuna but losing at home to Wolfsburg

At the bottom

Its back to back wins for Sliema who cut the gap to just 3 points

League One

July

untitled-99.jpg

Wins for Santos (Simon) Mallorca (Me) Galatasaray (Shels) Bayer Leverkusen (Allan) Nancy (Ross) Birmingham City (Luke)

untitled-100.jpg

Wins for Portsmouth (Tony) Santos (Simon) Estudiantes (Tom P) Toluca (Bestpay) Zenit St Petersburg (Cally)

untitled-101.jpg

With just 5 games to go it looks like a 3 way battle for the title

The current champions Santos sit top with a 5 point gap from last seasons league 2 winners Galatasaray with Estudiantes just 1 point further back

At the bottem it looks like AZ are down but the other 3 places are wide open

League Two

July

untitled-102.jpg

Wins for Lyn Oslo (Gerry) Steaua Bucureşti (Nathan) Standard Liege (Robbie) Anderlecht (Smartdoc) Nueva Chicago (Kevche) Racing Santander(Tom M)

untitled-103.jpg

Wins for Bolton Wanderers (Sinny) VFL Wolfsburg (Gordon) Levante (Ben) Standard Liege (Robbie) Anderlecht (Smartdoc)

untitled-104.jpg

With 3 games to go, We are in for a exciting end to the season with 8 teams still having hopes of going up

A poor run of form due to a shameful inactivity from Austin has seen AZ go down this season, and they will do their best to rebuild and regroup and get themselves back into the division next season

League One

July

untitled-107.jpg

Wins for Portsmouth (Tony) Galatasaray (Shels) Mallorca (Me) Bayer Leverkusen (Allan) Toluca (Bestpay) Santos (Simon) Estudiantes (Tom P)

untitled-108.jpg

Wins for Zenit St Petersburg (Cally) Santos (Simon) Estudiantes (Tom P) Heerenveen (Mark) Dynamo Kyiv (Zazoon)

untitled-109.jpg

Can Tom or Shels stop Simon winning back to back titles ???

Who will join Austin playing league 2 football ???

Stay tuned for this exciting run in

Portsmouth-celebrate-winning-FA-Cup_878207.jpg

161_1190143010.gifRacing Santander 2-3 Portsmouth62_1214935411.gif

Scorers: Giggs (39), Lulinha (49), Fernandes (60), Renato Augusto (68), Adriano (84).

Pompy Crowned The One Shield Championships!

With pressure building going into the Cup Final on Tuesday, Tony knew that anything but a win would result in another trophy less season and him effectively losing his job. Therefore each Pompy player clearly had something to prove to their manager, in what ended being a memorable final.

All the pre-match malarkey over Tony's future had been forgotten by the 60th minute as Gelson Fernandes made it 3-0 to Pompy, after goals from Giggs and Lulinha before. Racing Santander didn't go down without a fight though, Renato Augusto clawed what seemed at the time a consolation goal just 8 minutes later. The last six minutes were made to be very tense as Adriano reduced the gap to a single goal after dummying the keeper to tap into an empty net. However some stubborn defending from Portsmouth allowed them to keep their lead and be crowned champions.

Here's what Tony had to say afterwards, " What a result! It's nice to see the fans celebrating because that's been more than rare since I was appointed. The result will help this club to mature as it turns the season from being a failure into half a success. Perhaps I do set high standards but next season we should definitely finish in the top 3. My job is to do that and if I fail , then I of course deserve the sack. The transfers I make at the end of the season could prove to be the crucial factor on whether that happens or not."

Portsmouth-celebrate-winning-FA-Cup_878207.jpg

161_1190143010.gifRacing Santander 2-3 Portsmouth62_1214935411.gif

Scorers: Giggs (39)' date=' Lulinha (49), Fernandes (60),[/color'] Renato Augusto (68), Adriano (84).

Pompy Crowned The One Shield Championships!

With pressure building going into the Cup Final on Tuesday, Tony knew that anything but a win would result in another trophy less season and him effectively losing his job. Therefore each Pompy player clearly had something to prove to their manager, in what ended being a memorable final.

All the pre-match malarkey over Tony's future had been forgotten by the 60th minute as Gelson Fernandes made it 3-0 to Pompy, after goals from Giggs and Lulinha before. Racing Santander didn't go down without a fight though, Renato Augusto clawed what seemed at the time a consolation goal just 8 minutes later. The last six minutes were made to be very tense as Adriano reduced the gap to a single goal after dummying the keeper to tap into an empty net. However some stubborn defending from Portsmouth allowed them to keep their lead and be crowned champions.

Here's what Tony had to say afterwards, " What a result! It's nice to see the fans celebrating because that's been more than rare since I was appointed. The result will help this club to mature as it turns the season from being a failure into half a success. Perhaps I do set high standards but next season we should definitely finish in the top 3. My job is to do that and if I fail , then I of course deserve the sack. The transfers I make at the end of the season could prove to be the crucial factor on whether that happens or not."

Well Done Tony

Zenit 4-2 Alkmaar:rolleyes:

Zenit kept their faint survival hopes alive wiv a crucial win and they go into tonights clash of the titans knowin nothin but a win will be suffice to escape the drop.

Mallorca are havin a similar season to ourselves so 3 points are achievable to avoid the trapdoor:cool:

Relegated AZ will make life difficult for Mallorca.

179_1199737677.gif

This season, Az have been badly neglected by their manager.

After losing out in the semis of the shield, the staff lost interest in the team, and found themselves checking on their club once i two weeks to prevent loss of contact.

This behaviour was unacceptable, and Austin promisises a change in div 2, as the Board believes in his previous sucesses and hope for better fortunes.

They hope to drag down Mallorca with them, who are on a mixed run of form.

This season, when the teams met, it was a rare win for Az, who ran out 3-2- winners in a clash of the lowly giants

179_1199737677.gif 3 - 2 153_1203525908.gif

Shaun wright Phillips opened up the scoring for the hosts in the 16th minute, with a lovely drive.The crowd erupted, but were shaply silenced by away goals from Guiza and Grygera,to see AZ 2-1 down at half time.

Through substitutions and a loud pep talk, Ausins boys trooped out of the tunnel and scored through Ramis and Sherigham in an emotional performance to win a memeorable match for the Dutch outfit.

Now the question is, can it be repeated?