• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bradford

• ashtini

• Keith Fitz

• Hunty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread Well, if the moment when Silva scored the winner for PSG ever becomes a "what were you doing when.." moment, then here's what Cahill and Terry was doing:

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread Probably mistook the ball for a sheep...

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread

He put it on a platter for Sturridge to.

Cant wait for the day where the real Torres returns.

He shows glimpses. Slowly and eventually. He's just a counter-attacking forward that thrives on the ball being fed to him. He can't run a game by himself. That's never been his game' date=' yet people expect him to. If you get me.[/font']

I posted that during the first half when he missed that great chance

Everyone misses great chances. See the amount of chances Ibra missed and the El Shaarawy miss? Happens to everyone. :) It's just highlighted more so because "It's Torres".

Everyone misses great chances. See the amount of chances Ibra missed and the El Shaarawy miss? Happens to everyone. :) It's just highlighted more so because "It's Torres".

Yes all strikers miss chances - but no other striker in world football has gone 20+ games without a goal, and only has 3 or so in the last gazillion years fgs.

Yes all strikers miss chances - but no other striker in world football has gone 20+ games without a goal' date=' and only has 3 or so in the last gazillion years fgs.[/quote']

I agree. It's a joke that he's gone that long. I'm not arguing against that. He hasn't had that many great chances though. I can think of five, off the top of my head. He doesn't suit Chelsea's style. He was so successful at LFC because they always played counter attacking football. They always had Gerrard, Kuyt, Alonso etc pumping the ball to Torres on the counter and he was always there. That's not the role he's playing at Chelsea. With us, he's required to make his own chances. I'm not trying to defend Torres, because I'm as critical as the next fella, but people need to just lay off him. Yeah, £50 million.

I agree. It's a joke that he's gone that long. I'm not arguing against that. He hasn't had that many great chances though. I can think of five' date=' off the top of my head. He doesn't suit Chelsea's style. He was so successful at LFC because they always played counter attacking football. They always had Gerrard, Kuyt, Alonso etc pumping the ball to Torres on the counter and he was always there. That's not the role he's playing at Chelsea. With us, he's required to make his own chances. I'm not trying to defend Torres, because I'm as critical as the next fella, but people need to just lay off him. Yeah, £50 million. [/font']

The thing that would irk me if I were a Chelsea fan is that when he plays Lukaku doesn't get a chance to, and equally Sturridge does not get a chance at playing in his favoured position.

I do rate Lukaku but the fact you shelled out £18m for him and he hasn't started a match is ridiculous. At least give the lad a chance over a few games against the Wigans and QPR's of the league. It must be demoralising to know he can't get a rare start when he has Torres who can't score and Drogba who was at the ACON and is 'getting on' in front of him.

Similar to the way we have treated Pogba at OT.

The thing that would irk me if I were a Chelsea fan is that when he plays Lukaku doesn't get a chance to' date=' and equally Sturridge does not get a chance at playing in his favoured position.

I do rate Lukaku but the fact you shelled out £18m for him and he hasn't started a match is ridiculous. At least give the lad a chance over a few games against the Wigans and QPR's of the league. It must be demoralising to know he can't get a rare start when he has Torres who can't score and Drogba who was at the ACON and is 'getting on' in front of him.

Similar to the way we have treated Pogba at OT.[/quote']

They said it on SSN earlier, all our managers are there short term so rather than test the youth, they need wins desperately so always pick the best available team. It was nice to see Bertrand, Mikel and Kalou playing tonight they all played semi decent. Bertrand doing the most.

Torres was ok, as ITV picked up on it, his decisions were dreadful again but he played ok, Sturridge I thought was poor when he came on which surprised me.

Personally my MoM was David Luiz. he dealt with everything, from mistaking Zigic's head for the ball, to hoofing it everywhere. It would of been a toss up between him and Cahill, but Gary's header towards the end nearly cost us a goal.

My ratings:

Cech: 7

Ivanovic: 7_______Cahill: 7_______David Luiz: 8______Bertrand: 6

Ramires: 7__________Mikel: 6__________Mereiles: 7

Mata: 7_________Torres: 6_________Kalou: 6

Lampard: 6

Sturridge: 5 (should've scored)

Essien: 6

I agree. It's a joke that he's gone that long. I'm not arguing against that. He hasn't had that many great chances though. I can think of five' date=' off the top of my head. He doesn't suit Chelsea's style. He was so successful at LFC because they always played counter attacking football. They always had Gerrard, Kuyt, Alonso etc pumping the ball to Torres on the counter and he was always there. That's not the role he's playing at Chelsea. With us, he's required to make his own chances. I'm not trying to defend Torres, because I'm as critical as the next fella, but people need to just lay off him. Yeah, £50 million. [/font']

To be honest, Torres was not very successful in Liverpool for his last year or so. But yeah, generally the fact is that he is a bit of one trick pony and if you don't play a counter attack tactic, he will be easier to take for the defenders. He is a skilled player, a very good in his thing, but still I think there is another factor, which is that his hay day is gone: the defenders have learned to play against him and I think part of his problems is that he is so too one-dimensional and once he is disarmed of this pacy runs to through balls he does not pose so many problems to the defenders. I am of course not claiming that he would be so easy that he would not be able to score at all because of this: obviously there are many worse and as one-dimensional strikers who nevertheless get a few every season. Of course his lack of scoring has everything to do with his confidence. What I am saying is that I do not think he really is one of the most difficult attackers for defenders to play against, and thus even if he found his confidence again, I don't believe he will ever again be amongst the top 10 strikers of the world.

Funny, just read some old Chelski fan forums about who should we sell at summer 2011. Sturridge was there quite at the top of the list. Fans are amazing.

To be honest' date=' Torres was not very successful in Liverpool for his last year or so. But yeah, generally the fact is that he is a bit of one trick pony and if you don't play a counter attack tactic, he will be easier to take for the defenders. He is a skilled player, a very good in his thing, but still I think there is another factor, which is that his hay day is gone: the defenders have learned to play against him and I think part of his problems is that he is so too one-dimensional and once he is disarmed of this pacy runs to through balls he does not pose so many problems to the defenders. I am of course not claiming that he would be so easy that he would not be able to score at all because of this: obviously there are many worse and as one-dimensional strikers who nevertheless get a few every season. Of course his lack of scoring has everything to do with his confidence. What I am saying is that I do not think he really is one of the [i']most[/i] difficult attackers for defenders to play against, and thus even if he found his confidence again, I don't believe he will ever again be amongst the top 10 strikers of the world.

Funny, just read some old Chelski fan forums about who should we sell at summer 2011. Sturridge was there quite at the top of the list. Fans are amazing.

I agree. :) I was eluding to the fact he comes across as a very one dimensional attacker. It's the same for Spain, he suited them until 2007/08, but then they started to change their game and began to build a steady flow. He's been hot and cold (mostly the latter) for the NT over the last few years and I always had a feeling Soldado/Llorente would take his place for the Euros. Torres has had his best days, it's a lot like the Shevchenko signing for us. He just doesn't suit us and his best days are behind him. I still think he'll get a few goals like, but nothing severe. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I hope Lukaku gets a chance before the season's end. I really hope we don't let him go permanently in the summer. I could survive if we loaned him out, but I couldn't if we let him go if we sold Drogba and another forward.

I was one of the few fans in the summer that wanted Sturridge to stay at the club. That said, I'm now more so on the fence regarding him. He's extremely inconsistent. I know he's not being played as a ST, but he, in my opinion, isn't the man to fully lead the Blues line.

Yes all strikers miss chances - but no other striker in world football has gone 20+ games without a goal' date=' and only has 3 or so in the last gazillion years fgs.[/quote']

its not all in goals,sometime fwds without goals or assists could decide matches,just with theirs motivation,keeping defenders around them,making space for the midfield etc,just with theirs attitude,Ronney played almost 1 season without goals but his attitude was making MU to win,anyway i think return to Spain would help Torres,but no one would pay 50 million for him i guess,and Lukaku isnt capable to make difference for now,Drogba came to Chelsea as established player while Lukaku is still kid,and he isnt strong enough for now

Torres is still what 27/28? For me right now he has 2 main issues

1. Absolutely ZERO confidence.

2. And someone with no confidence needs plenty of chances to get his confidence back which Torres never gets. He has had to live on scraps for most of the season. If he goes to a team which can create plenty of chances (like United for instance) I am sure we would see the Torres of old.

You should imo give him another chance next season with better creative players, he cant get any worse

its not all in goals' date='sometime fwds without goals or assists could decide matches,just with theirs motivation,keeping defenders around them,making space for the midfield etc,just with theirs attitude,Ronney played almost 1 season without goals but his attitude was making MU to win,anyway i think return to Spain would help Torres,but no one would pay 50 million for him i guess,and Lukaku isnt capable to make difference for now,Drogba came to Chelsea as established player while Lukaku is still kid,and he isnt strong enough for now[/quote']

That bit I have bolded really irks me - it is one of footballs lamest excuses for a forward who can't score for love nor money.

Yes, creativity and assists are important but if you are contributing NO goals then it is bordering on pointless them being in the side. A forward who scores goals should ALWAYS take priority over one who doesn't regardless of creativity and assists.

Lukaku deserves a chance to prove if he can/can't score at this level on a consistent basis whilst giving Sturridge a run through the middle after his performances this season would also be worth a shot.

On a side note though I would love to see him at OT. If there is one manager who can re-ignite a players confidence and desire it is SAF.

My personal favourite is that Torres has played under more EPL managers than scored EPL goals since late January 2011. Dalglish, Ancelotti, AVB and Di Matteo now...

It seems he'll be unlikely to go unless it's for ridiculous money (IMO £25m is a hefty, hefty price for him atm) to a burgeoning foreign team to earn ridiculous money. Also, including subs he's managed 5 goals in 50 appearances whilst Luiz has bagged 4 in 34.

My personal favourite is that Torres has played under more EPL managers than scored EPL goals since late January 2011. Dalglish' date=' Ancelotti, AVB and Di Matteo now...

It seems he'll be unlikely to go unless it's for ridiculous money (IMO £25m is a hefty, hefty price for him atm) to a burgeoning foreign team to earn ridiculous money. Also, including subs he's managed 5 goals in 50 appearances whilst Luiz has bagged 4 in 34.[/quote']

Surely the only club willing to pay that sort of money for him at the present time is PSG. They tried their hardest to sign Tevez when he wasn't playing, so they would probably lap up the name if they got him. If not then I can't see anyone wanting to splash £25 million plus on, what is essentially, a flop.

Surely the only club willing to pay that sort of money for him at the present time is PSG. They tried their hardest to sign Tevez when he wasn't playing' date=' so they would probably lap up the name if they got him. If not then I can't see anyone wanting to splash £25 million plus on, what is essentially, a flop.[/quote']

PSG have already announced their 2 main targets are Higuain and Suarez.

PSG have already announced their 2 main targets are Higuain and Suarez.

Yeah read that, that's what alluded me to say that. Higuain will most likely stay, unless Real buy a better striker and tbh there aren't that many a great deal better available.

Suarez could go, but if not then I can see them trying for Torres or Tevez. They seem to be a fan of English strikers so maybe you can make the most of it :P

If there was ever any doubt that Torres had lost his bottle and is scared of missing then it is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/07/chelsea-fernando-torres-penalty-birmingham

Mata said. "He said: 'I'm not first on the list to shoot' date='' so that's what happened. It was because he forced the penalty and I gave him the chance. Robbie [Di Matteo, the interim manager'] put a paper with who shoots penalties and that was it."

He wasn't the designated penalty taker so it's not a big deal. Maybe he didn't want to take it as he probably didn't want to upset Robbie (see the Jol-Kasami incident).

Edited it for you :)

Who the hell are Leicester? I never heard of them. Are they a pub team?

;)

We're one of the best 8 teams in the country' date=' that's why we're in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup :)[/quote']

No you're not, your're struggling in the Championship.

Ivanovic nearly scored. Blimey, he's getting too much space on the right wing.

Edit: Mata on for Meireles. Good move Robbie.

Edit 2: Ivanovic hits the bar.