Official Chelsea FC Thread

Guest CHELSEA NO.1 YOUTH !!!!!

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread

4-4-2 diamond formation beats the hell out of a 4-3-3

That may be the case on SM (I haven't managed a team for a while, so I don't know exactly how much better it is), but it's not that clear cut in real life. It's all about implementation. Adapting your tactics slightly will probably do you far more good than changing your entire formation just for one single game.

If when you lose the ball, the midfield 3 stay really narrow, and the wingers drop deep to make a 4-5-1/4-1-4-1, then the Chelsea midfield will be much less of a problem. Your DM can man-mark the Chelsea AM, and your other 4 then outnumber Chelsea's 3. Also, Chelsea's only threats from wide positions are the fullbacks, so if your own fullbacks are smart enough to play a bit narrower than usual, that suddenly leaves Drogba and Anelka with a lot less space to play in.

Then of course when you win the ball back, you have enough of a pace advantage to revert back to 4-3-3, hit Chelsea on the break, and play the numbers game against their defence... and maybe win the odd free-kick from the bullish nature of Essien and Terry.

Again, it's less simple in practice than on paper, and I do expect Chelsea to get the 3 points, but if Wenger is smart enough with his implementation of the tactics and strong enough with his discipline, Arsenal definately have the ability to surprise me.

• Replies 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bradford

• ashtini

• Keith Fitz

• Hunty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread Well, if the moment when Silva scored the winner for PSG ever becomes a "what were you doing when.." moment, then here's what Cahill and Terry was doing:

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread Probably mistook the ball for a sheep...

Cole is alrady injured' date=' now Bosingwa is out for three months.

[url']http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8355884.stm[/url]

Not good news, obviously, but Ivanovic has been solid since coming in, he obviously isn't as good going forward as Bosingwa, but I think Ivanovic is alright, and can cover well why Bosingwa is out.

Cole isn't out for long though is he? I take it he won't be playing on saturday for England - Brazil :(

Another casualty Lampard could be out for up to six weeks

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13112009/58/premier-league-paper-round-chelsea-sue.html

I'm getting worried now:o.

didnt they update that to only 2/3 weeks today? let me guess that 2 weeks include this week right? so lamps will be back for chelsea's next league game? right? conveniently

JT picked up a "knock" in training too today.

why is there something inexplicably dodgy and cynical about the way these players are all ruling themselves out?

i seem to remember frank holds an incredible record of being the only player to not miss a single EPL game for chelsea in something like 5 campaigns? yet mr unbreakable somehow cripples himself after a bit of sprinting, and now blames the cheap flight service

didnt they update that to only 2/3 weeks today? let me guess that 2 weeks include this week right? so lamps will be back for chelsea's next league game? right? conveniently

JT picked up a "knock" in training too today.

why is there something inexplicably dodgy and cynical about the way these players are all ruling themselves out?

i seem to remember frank holds an incredible record of being the only player to not miss a single EPL game for chelsea in something like 5 campaigns? yet mr unbreakable somehow cripples himself after a bit of sprinting' date=' and now blames the cheap flight service[/quote']

Yeah, I just checked the Chelsea website and its 3 weeks. Now I'm not as worried, though he could geniunely be injured.

He'd miss the Porto Arsenal game unless there is some miraculous recovery before then.

I was at work today and Chelsea U15 were in town, do you know since Roman Abromovich has taken over your academy has paid over 50 million pounds worth in compensation to other teams for you nabbing there youngsters :eek:

Thats ALOT of money for a academy that in terms of players breaking through, isnt cutting it !

ANyways, your U15 look good, but were outclassed technically and tactically by forest today !

I just find it shocking that , that amount of money is spent on youngsters, in many cases players who have been brought in for money have been released too :eek:

I see that we were interested in Angel Di Maria' date=' but it appears that Man City are close to signing him for £36,000,000. I don't particularly want to go into a bidding war around that price for a player thats not worth half that amount :D[/quote']

Where'd you hear that mate? :eek:

I see that we were interested in Angel Di Maria' date=' but it appears that Man City are close to signing him for £36,000,000. I don't particularly want to go into a bidding war around that price for a player thats not worth half that amount :D[/quote']

If that is true then let City have him, thats even more than Robinho's.

I'd really like us to get Ribery and Pato, maybe Aguero too but those two would be my primary candidates.

Ribery could be easier to get seeing as he is out of flavour at bayern, I just hope we don't get such ridiculously inflated price tags as we did in the summer. Pato is just a great player, still under 20 and has a great future ahead of him.

Also Who needs Aguero when we've got Borini? says Ancelotti.

And I'd love a unicorn called Sunshine' date=' but you know, some things just ain't gonna happen. :)[/quote']

We'll just have to wait and see won't we;). Of course there is no guarantee we would get them, especially if we get such useless price tags. The others would be unnecessary really; too many strikers if that happens which it probably won't.

I fear Ancelotti won't buy in January, as he has mentioned it on numerous occasions, because if we do get banned from transfers in the Summer, the squad and the title challenge could go tits up, so we might of had to buy in the summer, but if we can't then I do think we need to bring in a couple of new faces in January. :o

On the other hand it is good that Ancelotti has faith in the young guys and in the rest of the squad :)

I know some people have speculated between Lampards injury and Chelsea wanting him back etc and there being a link... but now Essien, Muntari and Gyan have gone AWOL and haven't turned up for their international duties..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_5702608,00.html

But suppose clubs stopping players from going on international duty in any way shape or form is not exactly new to the game. :rolleyes:

So we have Lampard' date=' Drogba, Deco, Ballack ruled out. We'd probably line up with Mikel in DM, Cole in AM, Essien and Malouda at the edges. Kalou will partner Anelka. Terry and Ashley Cole seem fit to play and Ivanovic will start in RB again.[/quote']

Are they all definitely out? I thought they were having late fitness tests tomorrow (well Drogba anyway).

It's not as bad as it sounds. Joe Cole will get a run out along with Mikel and Malouda so we will still have a very strong team, easily capable enough of dealing with Wolves... I hope. :o

Are they all definitely out? I thought they were having late fitness tests tomorrow (well Drogba anyway).

It's not as bad as it sounds. Joe Cole will get a run out along with Mikel and Malouda so we will still have a very strong team' date=' easily capable enough of dealing with Wolves... I hope. :o[/quote']

Its Terry that faces a late fitness test but those four are definitely out apparently. The team's still easily capable of beating Wolves. We also have a few youngsters in the form of Kakuta, Matic and Borini on the bench.