Sign in to follow this  
Doe ©

The Official Cycling Thread

Hello, I am Joe Charley, known for my South American Superstars Topic. On the forum I have noticed there is not one thread about cycling, a sport that I love. From Road Cycling to Mountain Biking discuss it here.

The sport sounds dull to many people but not to me! It runs through my family. My grandad rides for a club, retired from racing. In the summer I watch my dad when he competes, as he rides for a club.

However, one thing I hate is the doping side of things. It is a real problem within the sport, that needs sorting out, on the other hand it is getting less and less of a problem each season.

Enjoy! :D

Re: The Official Cycling Thread

Yeah' date=' Evans was robbed really, that mountain stage with Rasmussen and Contador that did him. Best sprinter is probably Mc Ewen but he was terrible at last year's Tour De France, Boonen dominated.[/quote']

Plus Contador was a druggo (apparently, but anyone involved in that team generally is). McEwen was in the top 2 at one stage for the Sprints but faded.. Still he is 36 this year!!!

His best results in the sprints are:

02: 1st

03: 2nd

04:1st

05: 2nd

06: 1st

07:?

And one of those seasons he came 2nd, he won a sprint but was DQ, which cost him the win.

As Armstrong is out of the title race' date=' Contador was very weak today, who do you think will win Tour 2010? I bet in Andy Schleck..[/quote']

I think Schleck will win it as well,I want Wiggins to win it and he still has a slight chance in 13th but he will have to win by quite a big margin tommorow if he wants to win and I don't think he'll do that:o.

Wiggins won't win it. Contador without having done nothing so far in the tour is just a 1 minute of the pace where as Wiggins has struggled a bit. Want Schleck to win it now and tomorrow's gonna be a huge day. Last day up in the alps for some days and would be interesting to see if Schleck can keep up again

Really only ever saw it as a 3 horse race: Schleck, Contador, Evans with maybe my personal dark-horse Samuel Sanchez with an outside chance.

For me the real interesting things so far have been:

• How disappointingly bad Tony Martin has looked
  • How consistently good Nicolas Roche has looked
  • Renshaw is the best in the world at what he does. There's no one else even close.
  • Waiting for Vinokourov to attempt a mutiny @ Astana. It WILL happen before the Tour is over.
  • I was reading that television advertising in Belgium is up +300% for placements during the TDF broadcast, all because of how well Van Den Broeck is doing. Pretty insane impact, if true...

As Armstrong is out of the title race' date=' Contador was very weak today, who do you think will win Tour 2010? I bet in Andy Schleck..[/quote']

Still going with Contador. I think he was just conserving a little knowing that he can get it back on the time trial. Maybe a bit of mind games too. I think people are reading too much into him losing 10 secs.

Really only ever saw it as a 3 horse race: Schleck' date=' Contador, Evans with maybe my personal dark-horse Samuel Sanchez with an outside chance.

[b']For me the real interesting things so far have been:[/b]

• How disappointingly bad Tony Martin has looked
  • How consistently good Nicolas Roche has looked
  • Renshaw is the best in the world at what he does. There's no one else even close.
  • Waiting for Vinokourov to attempt a mutiny @ Astana. It WILL happen before the Tour is over.
  • I was reading that television advertising in Belgium is up +300% for placements during the TDF broadcast, all because of how well Van Den Broeck is doing. Pretty insane impact, if true...

Correct me if i'm worng but i believe that Martin has been concentrating more on his time trialing, and his job as one of the lead-out men for Cav.

I doubt Vino will do anything. He doesn't look like the sort of man who would do that judging by the way in which he's been helping pull Contador around the stages so far.

TONY MARTIN :

HTC/Columbia really don't use/need Martin for the lead-out.... Martin is certainly there (as are most TTers), but Renshaw and a few others are all they need.

This TDF was supposed to be Martin's coming out party. Guy has been on absolute fire this season. Crushed TTs everywhere and I think either won or was near the very top for the overall category in Switzerland. Arguably the hottest guy on the circuit coming into this tour.

He was supposed to be the leader for HTC/Columbia for the overall category. But he fell apart during the heat of Stage 7 and in yesterday's first real test of the mountains he fell off the pace very early. Rodgers wasn't supposed to be HTC/Columbia's overall leader, but because of Martin's disaappointing results thus far, that's the way it's shaping up. It's too bad, because the guy has mad skillz.

VINOKOUROV:

He was the man yesterday. When he crushed it on the last downhill, he basically put Armstrong out to pasture. After his 2 crashes, Armstrong had cut the deficit to the Astana riders to just under a minute. Then Vinokourov put on the pedal and the deficit was 1:30 before you could blink. So you are right he looked like the consummate team rider yesterday.

However, keep in mind that Astana was a team that was put together by Kazakhs specifically for him. Couple that with a massive ego (not to mention a hot head), and I can still see him causing some sort of rift before this is all over.

VINOKOUROV:

He was the man yesterday. When he crushed it on the last downhill' date=' he basically put Armstrong out to pasture. After his 2 crashes, Armstrong had cut the deficit to the Astana riders to just under a minute. Then Vinokourov put on the pedal and the deficit was 1:30 before you could blink. So you are right he looked like the consummate team rider yesterday.

However, keep in mind that Astana was a team that was put together by Kazakhs specifically for him. Couple that with a massive ego (not to mention a hot head), and I can still see him causing some sort of rift before this is all over.[/quote']

I see the point, but i personally am wondering whether he has realised that he isn't good enough to win this, and is going to get glory for Kazakhstan another way. If he did try and break and it failed, it would probably ruin Contador's tour bid. Maybe the thinking is that a fairly safe victory by the Kazakh team will be muich better than the massive risk involved in splitting the team apart. Maybe if he pulls Contador consistantly like a good boy, they'll let him off the lead for one stage near the end so that he can ride off and win a stage. I see that as being much more likely than a complete split.

Also, one thing i never quite understood, if they really wanted a team for Vino, then why bring in Contador, Armstrong, Leipheimer, Kloden etc.

Well that's Cadel Evans out of it then!!!!,Today was a great race for so many reasons,I missed the first hour or so but watched from the 120km stage onwards,of course there wasn't that much action until 50km to go but it was intriguing from then on in,it was quite boring with there been a constant gap between the main group and the peleton but it burst into life the second Contador and Schleck went it completely split the pack with Evans and the rest of the Peloton been left behind aside from Samuel Sanchez,I thought Sanchez done brilliantly to be anywhere near Schleck and Contador on the uphill and he nearly made the time back up on the downhill,I have to say I'm suprised with Contador who I thought may have taken the fight to Schleck more on the downhill as Schleck looked painfully badly on the downhill at times and suprised he didn't crash.I know Contador has the time trial which will be huge for him but I still thought it would a good chance to get the time down by a good 10 seconds or so,I thought the end was brilliant as well as the lead group got caught as none of them seemed to want take the lead of the group and therefore the pace slowed and Contador and Schleck was able to catch up,I have to say I thought Schleck would win when he just seemed to catch the leading group unaware and burst down the inside but fair play to Casar who held his nerve and won the stage.

I hope tommorow's stage is as good:D.

As Armstrong is out of the title race' date=' Contador [b']was very weak today[/b], who do you think will win Tour 2010? I bet in Andy Schleck..

Yes but...

Today (13-07-2010) Contador was very intelligent and showedthat he is strong in the mountains i saw Andy attacking and Contador answered very weel to the attacks. In short i'm saying that Contador will win the Tour, we have to remember the time-trial where Contador is far away better than Schleck. BTW i read in the press that Cadel Evans broke his shoulder in the 8th stage, which explains some of the 8 minutes lost today.

Yes but...

Today (13-07-2010) Contador was very intelligent and showed that he is strong in the mountains i saw Andy attacking and Contador answered very weel to the attacks. In short i'm saying that Contador will win the Tour' date=' we have to remember the time-trial where Contador is far away better than Schleck. BTW i read in the press that [b']Cadel Evans broke his shoulder in the 8th stage,[/b] which explains some of the 8 minutes lost today.

Elbow actually, hence the blue strapping, but that's not really the point.

I agree with you, and think that Contador will win this. More importantly is Sammy Sanchez. In this form i wouldn't bet against a charge at the King of the Mountains, and a podium as well. Such a good rider, and only breakaways seem to be going for it this year. If only Soler was fit :(

Was hoping for a flat stage today but according to Sky it's another Mountain stage not as bad as the previous 3 days though. Hoping Schleck wins the tour and theres no reason why he can't. He knows Contador will beat him hands down in the time trial so I am looking forward to another attack from Schleck today.

I wouldn't write of Armstrong yet. Been really unlucky so far in the tour but if he rides like hie did yesterday I wouldn't bet against a podium position. No one as of yet has staked a claim for that 3rd spot and contenders for it before the tour began i.e the likes Wiggins, Evans, Armstrong have had a torrid time so far.

P.S Haven't followed Cavendish in the alps. Did he make it through?

Angry cyclist Alberto Contador pleads innocence

Food contamination my backside. They're all the same' date=' cyclists - drugged up cheats.[/quote']

So glad:D,I've always hated him and preferred Schleck:),it could easily be food contimination but I honestly don't believe it is,It tarnishes the sport again but to be honest I'd rather them be found and kicked out and it shows the test is working in many senses,he says the system needs to be looked at now his been found guilty but never mentioned it before that.

Wouter Weylandt from the team Leopard Trek' date=' died today on the Giro due to a fall.

RIP[/quote']

Shocking news, although I'm hardly surprised. The speed that those cyclists come down the mountains is staggering, and if a crash or fall were to occur, death is a very possible outcome as today's tragedy proves.

RIP

tWT8yeHGA0U

Anyone see this yesterday? Absolutely shocking incident, how on earth things like this can happen is terrible. The rider who flipped into the air, Johnny Hoogerland, hit a barbed-wire fence and required 30 stitches to sew himself back up - he was lucky that he did flip over neck first and expose his jugular. He really is lucky that he wasn't killed.

The car has been ejected from the race, but it really isn't enough. The driver should have his license taken off him at the very minimum for such reckless driving, and I fully support Sky's plan of legal action after their rider, Juan Antonio Flecha, was involved in the crash. I honestly can't comprehend how things like this can happen. What on earth was the driver thinking, over-taking on such a narrow road? Mind-boggling.

In fact, I've been somewhat surprised by the sheer volume of crashes that have occurred in this Tour. Obviously, crashes do happen as is the nature of the sport, but there seems to be a lot more than usual this year. Bradley Wiggins was, of course, forced to retire after a crash last week and two more big names in Alexander Vinokourov and Jurgen van den Broeck followed yesterday, the former due to a fractured femur.