I've seen a lot of discussion about which league is the strongest. The three leagues are no doubt the strongest in the world and each has it's strength and weaknesses. Some of us can't understand why people feel one league is so strong whilst others cannot understand the opposite. As a result there are also debates as to whether SM over-rates or under-rates the players of these leagues. There is no easy answer, but I've decided to look at this through direct competition between the leagues. I decided to look at the results between the the three leagues in the premier competition in football -the champions league. I wanted to keep the analysis recent but not such a small time frame that people could accuse bias. Therefore I have taken all results in the Champions League from the 2004/05 season to the current season (inclusive).

Example: In the current season Sevilla beat Arsena 3-1 at home but lost 3-0 away. Therefore this would be one win for Spain and one win for England in the EPL v La Liga table

Similarly Real Madrid beat Lazio 3-1 at home this season but drew 2-2 away. Hence a win and a draw for Italy versus a draw and a loss for Italy in the Serie A v La Liga table

So to the results:

EPL V Serie A

EPL...........W6...D3...L5

Serie A......W5...D3...L6

EPL v La Liga

EPL...........W9...D9...L7

La Liga......W7...D9...L9

Serie A v La Liga

La Liga.......W10..D5...L5

Serie A.......W5...D5...L10

W=Win D=Draw L=Loss

So if we take this as a fair representation of the leagues then it would appear that the EPL has been more successful than both Serie A and La Liga in the champions league in recent times. Next would be La Liga andlast would come Serie A in terms of the best three leagues in the world.

Now I'm not claiming this is the case, but it is probably the best comparison we can make currently in the absence of a European Superleague. Of course we could look at the UEFA cup also, but I suspect the pattern will be repeated there. If we combine the leagues together (to remove the bias of La Liga having played more games and EPL less) then the overall table looks like this (this table is in terms of percentages):

League.........Win......Draw.......Loss

EPL.............38.4.......30.8.......30.8

La Liga.........37.8......31.1........31.1

Serie A.........29.4......23.5........47.1

Therefore on the basis of this it would appear the EPL is narrowly better than La Liga and Serie A follows after that.

Please note I like all three leagues and this is an unbiased analysis of the leagues. It would be good to know what others think!

Re: EPL v Serie A v La Liga

I've seen a lot of discussion about which league is the strongest. The three leagues are no doubt the strongest in the world and each has it's strength and weaknesses. Some of us can't understand why people feel one league is so strong whilst others cannot understand the opposite. As a result there are also debates as to whether SM over-rates or under-rates the players of these leagues. There is no easy answer' date=' but I've decided to look at this through direct competition between the leagues. I decided to look at the results between the the three leagues in the premier competition in football -the champions league. I wanted to keep the analysis recent but not such a small time frame that people could accuse bias. Therefore I have taken all results in the Champions League from the 2004/05 season to the current season (inclusive).

[i']Example: In the current season Sevilla beat Arsena 3-1 at home but lost 3-0 away. Therefore this would be one win for Spain and one win for England in the EPL v La Liga table

Similarly Real Madrid beat Lazio 3-1 at home this season but drew 2-2 away. Hence a win and a draw for Italy versus a draw and a loss for Italy in the Serie A v La Liga table[/i]

So to the results:

EPL V Serie A

EPL v La Liga

EPL...........W9...D9...L7

La Liga......W7...D9...L9

Serie A v La Liga

La Liga.......W10..D5...L5

Serie A.......W5...D5...L10

W=Win D=Draw L=Loss

So if we take this as a fair representation of the leagues then it would appear that the EPL has been more successful than both Serie A and La Liga in the champions league in recent times. Next would be La Liga andlast would come Serie A in terms of the best three leagues in the world.

Now I'm not claiming this is the case, but it is probably the best comparison we can make currently in the absence of a European Superleague. Of course we could look at the UEFA cup also, but I suspect the pattern will be repeated there. If we combine the leagues together (to remove the bias of La Liga having played more games and EPL less) then the overall table looks like this (this table is in terms of percentages):

League.........Win......Draw.......Loss

EPL.............38.4.......30.8.......30.8

La Liga.........37.8......31.1........31.1

Serie A.........29.4......23.5........47.1

Therefore on the basis of this it would appear the EPL is narrowly better than La Liga and Serie A follows after that.

Please note I like all three leagues and this is an unbiased analysis of the leagues. It would be good to know what others think!

i think that is spot on.well done with that mate.i gave ya sum rep

Another stat for you to consider Smartdoc is the champions league and how Milan have the best record over the past 5 years etc, which then puts it into the context that Italy has the best side but the worst overall stats ;)

As you said each league has its strengths and weaknesses and overall I believe that you cant really compare any.

The best team from each would have to play the other best team from a different league. All players would have to be on perfect form and top condition with the exact same amount of break after last game.... To put it into scientific terms.

Great thread and stats.

Another stat for you to consider Smartdoc is the champions league and how Milan have the best record over the past 5 years etc' date=' which then puts it into the context that Italy has the best side but the worst overall stats ;)

As you said each league has its strengths and weaknesses and overall I believe that you cant really compare any.

The best team from each would have to play the other best team from a different league. All players would have to be on perfect form and top condition with the exact same amount of break after last game.... To put it into scientific terms.

Great thread and stats.[/quote']

You're right of course it's impossible to make a conclusion based just on this. Milan have been the stand-out team in the competition in recent years. Just wanted to stimulate some discussion ;) . I think in overall terms there isn't that much difference between all 3 leagues right now, yet people insist on threads such as are EPL players over-rated/ are Serie A players under-raed etc. Sm do a hard job and overall the statisitics are pretty fair :) .

Just think how the stats would have looked had you taken out all Milan's wins :eek: :eek: .

You're right of course it's impossible to make a conclusion based just on this. Milan have been the stand-out team in the competition in recent years. Just wanted to stimulate some discussion ;) . I think in overall terms there isn't that much difference between all 3 leagues right now' date=' yet people insist on threads such as are EPL players over-rated/ are Serie A players under-raed etc. Sm do a hard job and overall the statisitics are pretty fair :) .

Just think how the stats would have looked had you taken out all Milan's wins :eek: :eek: .[/quote']

Very true. It is a great discussion and hopefully it will get some kind of debate :)

I honestly dont think you can say there is a better league or anything along those lines. England has its young talents and so does Spain and Italy.

I think that this forum being a heavily populated EPL watching based forum means that usually there is bias towards the EPL as there has been in the past with the ratings.

I agree that SM does a very tough job and a bloody good one to, especially recently they have been very fair and unbias which has been great.

Because of the English based forum etc the EPL is the most watched and although there is more Italian's here then Spanish I still feel that the La Liga is prefered and always means that the Serie A is overall thought as the weaker league. In alot of ways because before Juve were relegated etc there was a huge lack of goals compared to England and Spain. Since then though I think Italy's games are probably the highest tallied other then England although of course it changes weekly.

I think that the styles effect the popularity of the leagues outside of the country's. Where as England is fast paced, Italy is alot of build up and strong defences and Spain is alot of wing based play. So its down to what you prefer, again meaning that in most occassions Serie A is not liked as it doesnt get as much attacking play as La Liga and the Premiership do. But its all changing now, again since Juve were relegated there has been a change in Serie A and since the youth in England has found more talent it also has in Italy and Spain.

Sure the EPL is the most watched league here, mainly b/c it's the most widely watched around the world. For that very reason, EPL teams have more money through tv deals, advertisement (sponsorship), and rich investors who are buying up teams and spending cash. As a result of the increased incomes EPL teams have over their Spanish or Italian counterparts, they are better able to lure the best talent from around the world. This explains why the EPL contains fewer than 40% english players, while the Italian and Spanish leagues maintain around 80% from their respective countries. The money the Premier league has gives it an undeniable advantage over the other leagues, there's no two way about it.

Sure the EPL is the most watched league here' date=' mainly b/c it's the most widely watched around the world. For that very reason, EPL teams have more money through tv deals, advertisement (sponsorship), and rich investors who are buying up teams and spending cash. As a result of the increased incomes EPL teams have over their Spanish or Italian counterparts, they are better able to lure the best talent from around the world. This explains why the EPL contains fewer than 40% english players, while the Italian and Spanish leagues maintain around 80% from their respective countries. The money the Premier league has gives it an undeniable advantage over the other leagues, there's no two way about it.[/quote']

Very interesting points and arguments put forward there. For sure there is more money from advertisements and sponsorship in the EPL. However, this is counteracted by the size of the stadiums in Spain and in particular Italy, briging more income especially to the bigger clubs. In many ways the EPL is only just catching on to just how much money is to be made through advertisement and also in particular through taking large debts and then merchandising the clubs as brands a bit like Man Utd. Teams in Spain have been doing this for years.

Also I think your stats regarding the percentage of foreign players is a little bit misfounded particularly in the case of La Liga. Spanish teams have taken the best quality from the South America for many years and I think you'll find the foreign complement is a lot higher than the 20% you hinted at, and although not as high as that in the EPL, it is not far off it.

Good points though and rep from me ;) .

I think that the English Premier League has the better players and bigger names and i don't think that anyone would argue with that. And if we took the top 10 teams from each of the 3 leagues and put them in a league competition then i believe that the EPL would come out on top. For example we don't just have the big 4 teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool) we also have team like Everton, Aston Villa, Blackburn all of them teams are great and could compete with any team in the world and not embarrass themselves. Even teams like Bolton can compete with the best, they defeated Bayern in the UEFA cup.

1st - English Premier League

2nd - La Liga

3rd - Serie A

:)

I think that the English Premier League has the better players and bigger names and i don't think that anyone would argue with that. And if we took the top 10 teams from each of the 3 leagues and put them in a league competition then i believe that the EPL would come out on top. For example we don't just have the big 4 teams (Arsenal' date=' Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool) we also have team like[b'] Everton, Aston Villa, Blackburn all of them teams are great and could compete with any team in the world and not embarrass themselves.[/b] Even teams like Bolton can compete with the best, they defeated Bayern in the UEFA cup.

2nd - La Liga

3rd - Serie A

:)

Hmm what about Espanyol Barcelona? Althletico Madrid? Osasuna? Lazio? Firoientna? Udinesse who has got alot of young potential player? they all are the same level as everton blackburn etc probally

1. LA LIGA (SPAIN)

This league is the best all round,I feel if you like the ordinary teams,who finish mid-table and lower are better than those who are in England and Italy,generally better players,and defo technique - wise is the best,for example Betis have better technical players than Bolton,for me Real Madrid are the best team in the world right now also.

2.THE PREMIER LEAGUE (England)

2nd best league in the world for me,apart from the top sides most of the teams play a non-technical game,and try and beat the top teams by working hard and scrapping,in Spain the weaker sides will try and play football,but for pure excitement you can't beat a good premiership game!!

3.SERIE A (ITALY)

Probably the most boring to watch out of the 3,however in this league in general there is more emphasis on tactics,and how not to let the opponent get the first goal,a slower paced game,it suits players that don't maybe have pace,and is less physical,often players who have played along time in this league struggle when they go abroad,especially to England..But apart from this at the moment,in general there are better players in England/Spain

I think that the English Premier League has the better players and bigger names and i don't think that anyone would argue with that. And if we took the top 10 teams from each of the 3 leagues and put them in a league competition then i believe that the EPL would come out on top. For example we don't just have the big 4 teams (Arsenal' date=' Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool) we also have team like Everton, Aston Villa, Blackburn all of them teams are great and could compete with any team in the world and not embarrass themselves. Even teams like Bolton can compete with the best, they defeated Bayern in the UEFA cup.

2nd - La Liga

3rd - Serie A

:)[/quote']

I would say there is a big 3 in England,and also I think the likes Of Betis could do well against the top teams in England,Betis beat Chelsea two seasons ago,despite nearly relegation,I would say that Betis as an example are better than Birmingham...

1. LA LIGA (SPAIN)

This league is the best all round' date='I feel if you like the ordinary teams,who finish mid-table and lower are better than those who are in England and Italy,generally better players,and defo technique - wise is the best,for example Betis have better technical players than Bolton,for me Real Madrid are the best team in the world right now also.

2nd best league in the world for me,apart from the top sides most of the teams play a non-technical game,and try and beat the top teams by working hard and scrapping,in Spain the weaker sides will try and play football,but for pure excitement you can't beat a good premiership game!!

3.SERIE A (ITALY)

Probably the most boring to watch out of the 3,however in this league in general there is more emphasis on tactics,and how not to let the opponent get the first goal,a slower paced game,it suits players that don't maybe have pace,and is less physical,often players who have played along time in this league struggle when they go abroad,especially to England..But apart from this at the moment,in general there are better players in England/Spain[/quote']

Good views and fairly accurate I would say. The depth in La Liga would probably be better than that in the premiership. A way to judge this would be to look at the UEFA cup performances between the 3 leagues in the recent (same years as the Champions league analysis above). Using the same format the results have been as follows:

EPL v La Liga

La Liga.....W4...D2...L1

EPL.........W1...D2...L4

La Liga v Serie A

La Liga.....W2...D5...L1

Serie A.....W1...D5...L2

EPL v Serie A

EPL..........W3...D0...L3

Serie A.....W3...D0...L3

Hence, if we were to use the UEFA cup as a guide, this would seem to suggest that the depth in La Liga is better than the other 2 leagues, whilst the English Premier League and Serie A are pretty well matched in terms of depth!

PS However, there could be slight bias in this analysis as teams from the champions league (i.e. the top 4 in eavh country) could drop into the UEFA Cup and so in this case it is not a fair analysis!

Guest melbguy1

1. LA LIGA (SPAIN)

This league is the best all round' date='I feel if you like the ordinary teams,who finish mid-table and lower are better than those who are in England and Italy,generally better players,and defo technique - wise is the best,for example Betis have better technical players than Bolton,for me Real Madrid are the best team in the world right now also.

3.SERIE A (ITALY)

Probably the most boring to watch out of the 3,however in this league in general there is more emphasis on tactics,and how not to let the opponent get the first goal,a slower paced game,it suits players that don't maybe have pace,and is less physical,[b']often players who have played along time in this league struggle when they go abroad,especially to England[/b]..But apart from this at the moment,in general there are better players in England/Spain

wow... Could someone else back this up with some names? There's only one name I can think off that has been 'dissapointing' scoring only 1 goal in every 3 games. Besides that one, the rest that I can remember have gone over to England with either grey hair or well past their prime and have become fan favourites.

The one's that have gone to Spain have easilly become 1st teamers, again, only 1 name I can think of that hasn't (Cassano) and a few have even gone on to win FIFA players of the year, Ballon d'Or etc. So I certainly don't know what your on about there.

But yeah, the EPL statement has me a little confused.

My 2c, you like what you like. If you like South American type of play then watch La Liga as they are heavily populated by Spanish, Brazilians and Argentinians.

If you like a winning style of play (every World Cup since '82 has had main players play their craft in Seria A) where tactics, top class defense (which is an art), top-notch offside traps and timing of attacks with individual brilliance required to get open to take a shot is more your thing then Serie A is the way to go. Players in Serie A are heavily populated by Italians and the rest are made up from a wider range of nations.

If you like more 'exciting' type of soccer where every possession turns into an attack, with millions and millions of dollars pumped into it by the media companies resulting in the best broadcast of any league in the world, then the EPL is more your thing. The EPL's main international pool of talent are from Africa, where raw talent and power is mainly found. The EPL's hasn't had the best players in the world very often, in fact the FIFA player of the year has never come from the EPL and the EPL has had a Ballon d'Or player of the year in 2001 but none since the 60's.

As for "who's better", history says that the EPL is behind the other 2 leagues, mainly I reckon because of their ban from european soccer for a long period. The EPL has definately closed the gap with recent performances.

Are things changing? I'm not sure, may they get their first FIFA player of the year this year? maybe, not that I agree with it :). But as for changing I'll say no.... until major signings go to the EPL on a regular basis and not the other way around. When that day comes, the EPL will be the best league in the world bar none, as they have all of the infrastructure there already, best stadiums and best television coverage. But until then World Cup winning players won't come from the EPL.

wow... Could someone else back this up with some names? There's only one name I can think off that has been 'dissapointing' scoring only 1 goal in every 3 games. Besides that one' date=' the rest that I can remember have gone over to England with either grey hair or well past their prime and have become fan favourites.

The one's that have gone to Spain have easilly become 1st teamers, again, only 1 name I can think of that hasn't (Cassano) and a few have even gone on to win FIFA players of the year, Ballon d'Or etc. So I certainly don't know what your on about there.

But yeah, the EPL statement has me a little confused.

My 2c, you like what you like. If you like South American type of play then watch La Liga as they are heavily populated by Spanish, Brazilians and Argentinians.

If you like a winning style of play (every World Cup since '82 has had main players play their craft in Seria A) where tactics, top class defense (which is an art), top-notch offside traps and timing of attacks with individual brilliance required to get open to take a shot is more your thing then Serie A is the way to go. Players in Serie A are heavily populated by Italians and the rest are made up from a wider range of nations.

If you like more 'exciting' type of soccer where every possession turns into an attack, with millions and millions of dollars pumped into it by the media companies resulting in the best broadcast of any league in the world, then the EPL is more your thing. The EPL's main international pool of talent are from Africa, where raw talent and power is mainly found. The EPL's hasn't had the best players in the world very often, in fact the FIFA player of the year has never come from the EPL and the EPL has had a Ballon d'Or player of the year in 2001 but none since the 60's.

[b']As for "who's better", history says that the EPL is behind the other 2 leagues, mainly I reckon because of their ban from european soccer for a long period. The EPL has definately closed the gap with recent performances.[/b]

Are things changing? I'm not sure, may they get their first FIFA player of the year this year? maybe, not that I agree with it :). But as for changing I'll say no.... until major signings go to the EPL on a regular basis and not the other way around. When that day comes, the EPL will be the best league in the world bar none, as they have all of the infrastructure there already, best stadiums and best television coverage. But until then World Cup winning players won't come from the EPL.

I agree with much of what you have said but your statement highlighted is clearly wrong. Historically Serie A may have been considered better and 'more efficient' in result getting than both La Liga and the EPL, but here I have looked at the results between the nations representatives in both the Champions league and UEFA cup over the last 5 year period. As you can clearly see, the inference is that the EPL is not catching up, but in fact that both the EPL and La Liga are some way ahead of Serie A in terms of resuts in recent times and in fact Serie A have been left behind :rolleyes: .

It's also interesting that you decide to choose the World Cup to state your point as to why you believe that Serie A is better (maybe because Italy has won it most times in recent past ;) ). However, my analysis is of more recent times. Secondly, you will agree that only a handful of teams can seriously believe they will win the World Cup. no doubt winning the world cup is the greatest accolade a player can receive, but as in any champions league season there is a greater number of teams who have a chance of winning the competition. You also arguably have all the world's talent in the competition whereas many top players are not at the world cup due to their country not having depth (e.g Giggs). Hence this is in fact the harder competition to win. Therefore the fact that Italy barring Milan have done poorly in this competition in recent times would suggest that Serie A has been left behind the other leagues :)

Guest melbguy1

I agree with much of what you have said but your statement highlighted is clearly wrong. Historically Serie A may have been considered better and 'more efficient' in result getting than both La Liga and the EPL' date=' but here I have looked at the results between the nations representatives in both the Champions league and UEFA cup over the last 5 year period. [b']As you can clearly see, the inference is that the EPL is not catching up, but in fact that both the EPL and La Liga are some way ahead of Serie A in terms of resuts in recent times and in fact Serie A have been left behind :rolleyes: .[/b]

Are you basing that on these stats?

EPL v Serie A

Serie A.....W3...D0...L3

&

EPL V Serie A

So your going to completely disregard history and on the basis of 1 win say that EPL is waaaayy ahead of Serie A?

It's also interesting that you decide to choose the World Cup to state your point as to why you believe that Serie A is better (maybe because Italy has won it most times in recent past ;) ).

No, it has nothing to do with the Italian national side. And it has nothing to do with recent times,... since 1982 every Worlcup winning side has had main players play in Serie A, I'll let you do your research and name the number of EPL players since '82 that played their craft in EPL while winning the World Cup, should be easy yeah? there has been many many players that have won it since '82. Actually I'll make it a little easier, name EPL players that have won a WC medal. fyi the ones in Serie A arean't all Italians.

The reason why I highlighted that stat is that the Italian and English teams are made up of players exlusively from their local competitions, so why is it that Italy has done so much better than England in the last 20 years of the World Cup? It' not as if the races are completely different (although Italians are better looking :)), we are both white eurpoean caucasians, so the only reason I can think of is tactics and the quality of the local competition where they play week in week out.

And you can't dismiss the World Cup, every single player on the planet wants to win it, so why does England do so poorly in it? When all of it's players come from the EPL. And why does Italy do so well when all of it's players come from Serie A, and again, the races are the same. I guess that's my point.

However, my analysis is of more recent times.
Yep, 1 more win to EPL, hardly enough evidence to say EPL is way better.
no doubt winning the world cup is the greatest accolade a player can receive, but as in any champions league season there is a greater number of teams who have a chance of winning the competition. You also arguably have all the world's talent in the competition whereas many top players are not at the world cup due to their country not having depth (e.g Giggs). Hence this is in fact the harder competition to win. Therefore the fact that Italy barring Milan have done poorly in this competition in recent times would suggest that Serie A has been left behind the other leagues :)

I think I can say the same for the EPL with Liverpool :)

And yes, the CL is a much better competition than the WC. But you need to take a few more steps back and look at more things than just stats from one competition to say which leagues are better.

This ain't post that Serie A is better than the rest, the comments on my previous post are my comments. This post is to say you can't make inference on 1 win and that there's more to working out the best league.

Are you basing that on these stats?

EPL v Serie A

Serie A.....W3...D0...L3

&

EPL V Serie A

So your going to completely disregard history and on the basis of 1 win say that EPL is waaaayy ahead of Serie A? Now thats an inference! I hope your not planning on studying statistical analysis in high school :)

No' date=' it has nothing to do with the Italian national side. And it has nothing to do with recent times, reread... since 1982 every Worlcup winning side has had main players play in Serie A, I'll let you do your research and name the number of EPL players since '82 that played their craft in EPL while winning the World Cup, should be easy yeah? there has been many many players that have won it since '82. Actually I'll make it a little easier, name EPL players that have won a WC medal. fyi the ones in Serie A arean't all Italians.

The reason why I highlighted that stat is that the Italian and English teams are made up of players exlusively from their local competitions, so why is it that Italy has done so much better than England in the last 20 years of the World Cup? It' not as if the races are completely different (although Italians are better looking :)), we are both white eurpoean caucasians, so the only reason I can think of is tactics and the quality of the local competition where they play week in week out.

[b']And you can't dismiss the World Cup, every single player on the planet wants to win it[/b], so why does England do so poorly in it? When all of it's players come from the EPL. And why does Italy do so well when all of it's players come from Serie A, and again, the races are the same. I guess that's my point.

Yep, 1 more win to EPL, hardly enough evidence to say EPL is way better.

I think I can say the same for the EPL with Liverpool :)

And yes, the CL is a much better competition than the WC. But you need to take a few more steps back and look at more things than just stats from one competition to say which leagues are better.

This ain't post that Serie A is better than the rest, the comments on my previous post are my comments. This post is to say you can't make inference on 1 win and that there's more to working out the best league.

Oh dear! Seems you are taking this as a personal attack on your beloved Serie A. Was hoping to avoid offending anyone so I'm sorry as you obviously have taken offence :o .

However, if I were you I would take some time to read the whole thread. This is in no way based on 1 win. The stats I have put before you are:

1. The first post - all results between EPL v Serie A, EPL v La Liga and La Liga v Serie A in the last 5 years of the UEFA champions league. As you will see (but will no doubt have difficulty in accepting) Serie A has performed worse than both the EPL and La Liga in the head-to-heads during this time.

2. The post you quoted - all results in the UEFA cup in the last 5 years again in a head-to-head format. If you follow the thread, this was actually a response to another post by a forumer who was claiming that the middle-of-the table teams in the EPL are better than those in La Liga and Serie A. In this post I was actually refuting that fact and was actually saying that the middle teams are more equally matched (i.e backing Serie A :) ).

So as you can see, this was not on the basis of 1 win but in fact on the basis of several results over the last 5 years. I think if you read the whole thread you will also find that I have actually stated that my opinion is that the 3 leagues are equally matched despite the fact that the stats suggest otherwise :) .

I think you'll also find that I did not dismiss the world cup and actually said it is the "greatest accolade" a player can win but was simply making the point that the Champions league is harder to win!

Clearly you have taken this personally and I apologise for that sincerely. However I would suggest you not get so heated over discussions and you don't make such great debates personal (which you have by mentioning specific teams) as you will soon get people ganging up against you.

Sometimes agreeing to disagree is the best conclusion rather than getting so personal ;) . Once more sorry for any offence I have caused you.

Guest melbguy1

Oh dear! Seems you are taking this as a personal attack on your beloved Serie A. Was hoping to avoid offending anyone so I'm sorry as you obviously have taken offence :o .

However' date=' if I were you I would take some time to read the whole thread. This is in [b']no way[/b] based on 1 win. The stats I have put before you are:

1. The first post - all results between EPL v Serie A, EPL v La Liga and La Liga v Serie A in the last 5 years of the UEFA champions league. As you will see (but will no doubt have difficulty in accepting) Serie A has performed worse than both the EPL and La Liga in the head-to-heads during this time.

2. The post you quoted - all results in the UEFA cup in the last 5 years again in a head-to-head format. If you follow the thread, this was actually a response to another post by a forumer who was claiming that the middle-of-the table teams in the EPL are better than those in La Liga and Serie A. In this post I was actually refuting that fact and was actually saying that the middle teams are more equally matched (i.e backing Serie A :) ).

So as you can see, this was not on the basis of 1 win but in fact on the basis of several results over the last 5 years. I think if you read the whole thread you will also find that I have actually stated that my opinion is that the 3 leagues are equally matched despite the fact that the stats suggest otherwise :) .

I think you'll also find that I did not dismiss the world cup and actually said it is the "greatest accolade" a player can win but was simply making the point that the Champions league is harder to win!

Clearly you have taken this personally and I apologise for that sincerely. However I would suggest you not get so heated over discussions and you don't make such great debates personal (which you have by mentioning specific teams) as you will soon get people ganging up against you.

Sometimes agreeing to disagree is the best conclusion rather than getting so personal ;) . Once more sorry for any offence I have caused you.

twerp, because I point out flaws in rating leagues based on a tournament doesn't mean I'm taking it personal.

I simply responded to a comment that all serie A players struggle when they go overseas and I 'tried' to show that there's more factors that need to be considered if someone was to rate the leagues. Factors that you just completely overlooked and bashed the rest of the post.

I'm positive if I responded that the EPL was the best then it would be accepted, the fact that I am not doing that, well then I'm taking it personal.

I am really hoping your not 15, I always get stung like that on here.

Also, I hope when you say the last 5 years you are beginning 5 years ago with the 2002/03 season where it was an all Italian final.... I'm guessing you didnt.

And Neller.... it's not my fault mate :)

twerp' date=' because I point out flaws in rating leagues based on a tournament doesn't mean I'm taking it personal.

And Neller.... it's not my fault mate :)[/quote']

Not taking it personal...tut tut tut! It's a shame you couldn't just accept my apology and leave it at that instead of resorting to name-calling. I guess I'm just gonna have to avoid threads where you have commented so as not to infuriate you so much that you have to resort to name-calling :rolleyes: .

Guest melbguy1

Not taking it personal...tut tut tut! It's a shame you couldn't just accept my apology and leave it at that instead of resorting to name-calling. I guess I'm just gonna have to avoid threads where you have commented so as not to infuriate you so much that you have to resort to name-calling :rolleyes: .

Oh dear! Seems you are taking this as a personal attack.:o

So did you include 2003 in your stats?

I'm noticing a trend with your posts against mine, you just nit and pick words and phrases without having a discussion about the my posts.

I don't think I'll be missing out on any riveting conversations if you stay away from my posts.

For me people forget about a few things when teams play in the CL or any knockout competition and that is form/morale and injuries (and of course the big one LUCK).

Take for example Man Utd last season, they was bang in form and totaly crushed Roma the round before yet against Milan Ronaldo and co played very poor, yes this was also down to how good Milan are defensivly but he still had a bad game as did most the players.

When LFC won the Champions league we played brilliant in most matches and in the semi (i think) we beat Juve at Anfield 2-1, then away from home it was 0-0 but Ibramhimovic missed an absolute sitter if he scored that (which he usually would) we would have been out.

Then there was of course the insane final with Milan.

My point is unless you stuck all the best teams around the world into 1 big league then I dont think you can say who is the best, I love watching the EPL and im not a fan of Seria A due to the style of play but thats just me.

If I was an Italian I would be pointing out the number of Italian clubs who have won or at least made the final of the CL over the last 10 years compared to England.

Man Utd dominated the EPL yet they made the CL final once?, Chelsea - 0, Arsenal -1 and of course the MIGHTY!! Liverpool - 2.

compare that to the Italians I think they are infornt although I might be wrong.

Football is what it is for example the next matches.

Liverpool Vs Inter Milan

Arsenal Vs Ac Milan.

both matches could go either way depends on all sorts of things on the day if these same matches were played over and over again there would be different winners most the time.

(also dont turn it into a fight I thought both your posts were excellent and except for the word "twerp" I dont really think anyone took anything personal)

Someone a while ago responded to my post saying that although the EPL has better tv deals and advertisement that Serie A and La Liga have larger stadiums that compensate. Although true, and no I don't have exact figures, but I am quite sure that attendances are not only larger on a season average in the EPL compared to both La Liga and Serie A, but also the EPL teams charge more per ticket. The larger stadiums are in fact a burden to teams in Spain, while look at how many teams in the EPL are looking to upgrade (a massive undertaking that is being funded by the massive investment in the league).

Also, I think according to last seasons stats Serie A was about 81% Italian and La Liga was 7(something)% Spanish. In Italy and Spain only top teams have a diversity of talent, while even mid to low table teams in the EPL have players from all around. Just look at who Fulham and other low table sides bought in the transfer window, they're all foreigners.

To make this comparison paint the real picture, you MUST factor in the following:

How far the teams went in the champions league, how many trophies did they win, how many teams (from a particular country) were present in the knock-out stages and, crucially, what was their domestic form like? i.e did they, unlike other teams, have nothing else to worry about except the Champion's league?- meaning they are fresher and more focused.

Goals scored should NEVER be considered- they are greatly circumstancial. Finally, the season you chose to start getting statistics from is QUESTIONABLE.