Guest melbguy1

Re: EPL v Serie A v La Liga

Someone a while ago responded to my post saying that although the EPL has better tv deals and advertisement that Serie A and La Liga have larger stadiums that compensate. Although true' date=' and no I don't have exact figures, but I am quite sure that attendances are not only larger on a season average in the EPL compared to both La Liga and Serie A, but also the EPL teams charge more per ticket. The larger stadiums are in fact a burden to teams in Spain, while look at how many teams in the EPL are looking to upgrade (a massive undertaking that is being funded by the massive investment in the league). [/quote']

Definately, when it comes to 'administration' the EPL wins handsdown against any other league. I can't talk too much about the Spanish as I only watch the big games there and the stands are always full, but in Italy it really sucks, you can watch a Juve - Roma game and find the stands half full, if that. I think the EPL is better managed as the investments come from outside the league: media etc, so their interests are in the League doing well as opposed to Italy where the investments come mainly from owners and rich individuals, so they look out for themselves first rather than the league. i.e Media rights, the big clubs make their own deals while the rest of the league has to beg for money from sponsors (I remember when I was in Italy a few years ago Juve signed a 200M+ TV rights deal) which just ain't right.

Anyway, so in the EPL there is more money for the rest of the teams as opposed to Italy where it's only the very top few that have it. This allows the EPL mid-lower teams to have some budgets to buy foreign players.

Also, I think according to last seasons stats Serie A was about 81% Italian and La Liga was 7(something)% Spanish. In Italy and Spain only top teams have a diversity of talent, while even mid to low table teams in the EPL have players from all around. Just look at who Fulham and other low table sides bought in the transfer window, they're all foreigners.

That imo is the problem with the EPL and has a negative effect on the English national side. It's not the number of foreign players that makes a league better, it's the quality of the foreign players that counts. I might be wrong, but the foreign players at Fulham (and WOW, I just took a look at there are heaps of foreign players there are 28 out of 37 :eek: ) aren't of exceptional quality. Many of those 28 spots could be given to an English player! Geez, there are some of the 28 that haven't even played 1 minute, what a waste training them up, looking after them physically when they could be doing that to a fellow Englishman.

The 19% (I'm trusting you on that :)) or so of foreigners in Serie A are of better quality and actually raise the quality of the league, and as you go down the ladder there are more and more natives in the team and the foreigner is of somewhat quality that actually raises the squad. (Livorno 7 / 28 are foreigners).

So yeah, the Serie A has major problems, bad quality coverage, empty stadiums (crowd problems), diving (they are trying to fix this by handing out match bans to divers on a caught by tv replays system), mafia style dealings (I just don't want to use the word 'cheating' :)) but it shouldn't be an excuse to overlook the quality of players in the league.

However I am worried, if those things don't get fixed up soon the EPL is in prime position to gobble up all the worlds talent. I'm just glad that all the top players in the world don't rate it as the best league in the world...... yet.

Always tricky when people start throwing stats up and comparing who is better based on results in competitions etc,also the World Cup is no good being used as a comparison ,once you start comparing the international teams with the actual club league then i presume you have to take into account the population in your own country that were born and can actually play for them ,I would say Spain and Italy have a far bigger percentage than England,so on this basis should throw out more players.

Therefore when comparing the three different leagues you need to base it on that and that alone not how they do or have done Internationaly ,after all being a small island besides foreign players ,Scottish Welsh and Irish also play a big part in the Prem and rest of English leagues ,always have and always will.

Its only when you put all their populations together it comes close to matching Italys and Spain ,yet they dont combine and play for one under UK or GB etc even though it has been suggested before in some circles .

Also if we go down the line on which league must be better because of stats in European games and International with World Cup etc ,well should these be taken into account and fetch another league into the equation .

The winners of the last 4 World Club Championship ,

AC Milan 4-2 Boca Juniors

Internacional 1-0 Barcelona

São Paulo FC 1 - 0 Liverpool

Corinthians 0 - 0 Vasco da Gama

(4 - 3 pen)

3 of winners are 3 different Brazillian sides and one was a final contested between 2 .Also we know how they are Internationally .:D

So what i am asking are we all being self complacent by saying it is EPL v Serie A v La Liga that are the best but cant decide what order ,because we see more of them there in our main time zone and Brazils are not .

Or is Brazils not on a par with all 3 even though they have 4 differnt teams from the same league and have contested the biggest club game in the world and come out trumps.

Just imagine if the above winners were all from our leagues in favour 3-1 the shouting down we would be doing now of the other members and who has the best league in world ,Football wise.:eek::D:)

Guest melbguy1

Always tricky when people start throwing stats up and comparing who is better based on results in competitions etc' date='also the World Cup is no good being used as a comparison ,once you start comparing the international teams with the actual club league then i presume you have to take into account the population in your own country that were born and can actually play for them ,I would say Spain and Italy have a far bigger percentage than England,so on this basis should throw out more players.[/quote']

Definately, looking at just the world cup would be wrong, or just the CL (which is what I was trying to say) but when the stats favour a league heavily then it should add some weight to the arguement, not the be all and end all though.

Being an Australian, I am very aware of the population arguement as we reach for that in most international sports, AU has around 20M, so it's special when we end up in the top 10 in the Olympics. But as for England, I don't thing they can draw that card. England has about 50M people, Italy about 59M and Spain about 45M, and soccer is the #1 sport there as well as the other 2 countries.

I think they are all in the same ball park and able to make them comparible.

Therefore when comparing the three different leagues you need to base it on that and that alone not how they do or have done Internationaly ,after all being a small island besides foreign players ,Scottish Welsh and Irish also play a big part in the Prem and rest of English leagues ,always have and always will.

yep, the Scots and the Irish can pull out the 'unfair population advantage' card :)

Also if we go down the line on which league must be better because of stats in European games and International with World Cup etc ,well should these be taken into account and fetch another league into the equation .

The winners of the last 4 World Club Championship ,

AC Milan 4-2 Boca Juniors

Internacional 1-0 Barcelona

São Paulo FC 1 - 0 Liverpool

Corinthians 0 - 0 Vasco da Gama

(4 - 3 pen)

3 of winners are 3 different Brazillian sides and one was a final contested between 2 .Also we know how they are Internationally .:D

So what i am asking are we all being self complacent by saying it is EPL v Serie A v La Liga that are the best but cant decide what order ,because we see more of them there in our main time zone and Brazils are not .

Or is Brazils not on a par with all 3 even though they have 4 differnt teams from the same league and have contested the biggest club game in the world and come out trumps.

Yeah, I'll agree that the south americans can quote that stuff to add weight to their argument, although I would say that most of those european teams besides AC didn't really go throwing everything at them. It is much more prestigious to the South Americans than what it is to the Europeans. But nevertheless, it's an arguement they can use.

Just imagine if the above winners were all from our leagues in favour 3-1 the shouting down we would be doing now of the other members and who has the best league in world ,Football wise.:eek::D:)

It's widely recongised that the top 3 leagues in the world are EPL, Liga and A, the Brazilian league has given us many world cup and fifa player of the year winners, the only problem there is that those players are playing for Seria A and La Liga teams, the Brazilian League loses all of it's talents to the top 3 leagues, if they all stayed there then they could argue to be put in the top 3.

although I support what your trying to say about looking at a few things rather than just one.

p.s is Alan crazy Bones Neller and Neller the same person :confused: , most likely a stupid question :)

p.s is Alan crazy Bones Neller and Neller the same person :confused: ' date=' most likely a stupid question :)[/quote']

I know we have had our differences in opinions on leagues and a few debates etc and I did make that capello comment but I dont think I did anything to deserve a comment like that :)

• 1 year later...