This is an idea I've mulled over for a while and might just work, but as usual with my ideas not everyone will like it :D

My idea is to have a new form of set-up which is very different to the set-ups we have so far. The idea would be to have a sort of world club cup:

- 256 teams from around the world (could even be 512 teams if enough interest)

- A straight knock-out competition (the only change would be to replace penalties with replay(s)).

- No money/transfers - simply for the prestige :)

This could be available to Gold members only or to everyone :confused: . The set-up will be short and sweet. No problems with unmanaged clubs. No chairman. No cheating/accusations (in theory). Could you take your favourite team to World Club glory?

Such a set-up, in my opinion, should be kept a special event (a bit like the Gold Championship) in that doing it too frequently may devalue it. Much Kudos would go to the reigning champion, especially if he/she could achieve the accolade with a smaller club. Managers could gain fame through famous giant killing acts. Shouldn't be too difficult to set-up. People's thoughts?

Re: A new form of set-up

Am I to gather that this is yet another unpopular suggestion by me in view of the lack of response :( . The idea was that such a set-up would be more about tactics as opposed to money/buying prowess. Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but a bit like the Cup fixtures today - in a one-off game anyone can beat anyone :) .

Well, this is a unique type of setup so it should be a GM only setup :)

I don't know why this thread hasn't gained interest..:confused:

It's a good idea but it would be unqie if there was only ONE setup like this... Not a regular like GC's..

I like the idea generally,

But without transfers....

It would mean that only the big clubs would be favorites and the smaller clubs would be left unmanaged...

Thanks for responding Mitu. Thought I was just talking to myself again.....as usual (first sign of madness, lol)

Remember in total there would only be 8 rounds in total if there were 256 teams. This would be a very short set-up and I think regardless of there being low teams it would probably get set-up. I actally think a lot of people, and in particular forumers, would actually take on their own favourite lowly teams and would like their hand at trying to beat the mighty Barcelona, Milan, Inter, Man U., Madrid and Arsenal teams to the final. The eventual winner would have won 8 games. I for one would love the cance to be managing Leicester for example against Real Madrid in a World Club cup semi-final. I'm sure many will revel in the giant-killing role.

I agree it should be a rare event though - perhaps twice a year or in between GC set-ups to keep the interest.

Thanks for responding Mitu. Thought I was just talking to myself again.....as usual (first sign of madness' date=' lol)

Remember in total there would only be 8 rounds in total if there were 256 teams. This would be a very short set-up and I think regardless of there being low teams it would probably get set-up. I actally think a lot of people, and in particular forumers, would actually take on their own favourite lowly teams and would like their hand at trying to beat the mighty Barcelona, Milan, Inter, Man U., Madrid and Arsenal teams to the final. The eventual winner would have won 8 games. I for one would love the cance to be managing Leicester for example against Real Madrid in a World Club cup semi-final. I'm sure many will revel in the giant-killing role.

I agree it should be a rare event though - perhaps twice a year or in between GC set-ups to keep the interest.[/quote']

lol,

Yes mate... I genrally like the idea... I wouldn't also mind managing the odd.....Charlton?:P

One frustrating this is that you only get once chance....

So a manager can be eliminated without the chance of managing their teams properly?

Maybe there could be matches for last place, second last place....

As it wouldn't seem fair on the losing managers...

Hope you understand what I am saying - It's like when team play for third place :)

Overall, I think great idea.. We just need enough interest from the rest of these crazy lot!!;)

This is a great idea, like always Arslan.

I think that it should be 512 teams, but then only about 200 would be managed, not more, so if we made it public to all members, it would be more managed teams. So I'll make it public.

But one flaw in this is that too many matches will have to be processed at the same time, which would be around 256 matches in the first round, 128 in the second, which would make SM even slower, so I think there must be a way to make the fixtures easy and simple.

So if adding the replays in, I think that is not very good as then, it would also take a lot of time so we could have extra time and penalties (with a full match report, of course).

I would suggest that these games get played on Tuesdays and Fridays so that there won't be too many fixtures produced at that time.

Good idea once again Arslan

STUPID REP SYSTEM. :mad::rolleyes::(

I like the idea, would have to be GM exclusive which has been highlighted throughout.

I like the whole concept of it.

I think that instead of making it a setup like GC's that keep getting made every few months I think this could be a once a month competition.

IE, every month all teams in the setup will become available to claim for the competition, which would then start the week after and once the competition was over, the people who were in positions that win prizes will win them (1st, 2nd, 3rd) or something and then all clubs will be freed up and the setup locked for another month.

Then the next month the process would start again.

This would mean that everyone gets a chance to prove themselves with a different side each time.

The top 4 could also be included in the homepage blog on the competition. As there would be so many people in the competition there will be pretty big prizes as its basically got the base to be the overall SM prove yourself competition.

Would be a competition to say who the best manager is, in a knockout competition anyway.

Great idea Smartdoc and as Ive just basically said it has alot of potential.

I've had a read through. I remember an idea Shelbourne FC had, whereby there was a group stage, so like qualifying for the World Cup. It would at least solve the problem of teams only playing 1 game a season.

Format:

256 sides, with:

150 european sides 56 American ( all)

50 from the rest of the world. (could be largely empty though).

Europe and ROW are split into groups of 10, and America are into groups of 14. from Euro and ROW, top 2 go through, but top 3 from America. 32 teams play in knockouts.

I think that the 256 managers with the highest amount of points (128 from standard and 128 from custom) should be sent an Email, inviting them to join the setup. The top sides from each nation sholud be seeded so they won't be in the same group (or in Europes case as spread out as possuble;not enough groups cam be made so each individual team is by itself, without the setup becoming boring.

What do yuo guys think?

PS: Arslan, have you posteed this to SM? If you haven't, then you should as it's a great idea IMO.