Greedy footballers?

Following Wes Brown's refusal of a new contract with Manchester United worth £40,000/week is Sir Alex right in criticising players and their agents of being too greedy?

Some of us will be lucky to earn £40,000 a year and will no doubt feel we work a lot harder? We won't have the limelight/celebrity status (if we wanted it). But then we don't have the talent that these professionals have (in most cases :P ). Wes Brown has been having arguably the best season of his career but is he worth £40K a week. When he looks at some of his illustrious colleagues who are earning double/triple what he earns is he right to hold out for a better deal (Ferdinand reputedly £110,000/week, Terry reputedly £140,000/week). Do players have too much power as a result of the Bosman ruling? Are the days of player loyality to your club gone?

Football is a global phenomenon with an audience of billions and the entertainment provided in most games is enjoyed by the majority. So perhaps the players deserve to earn every penny they get? Their careers will also end at the age of 35-40 in the main. But then again some of them will automatically earn football related jobs/corporate jobs through their fame after their careers.

Do you think footballers should be paid so well or are they getting too much money for their own good? If you feel this is too much money, do you have any ideas on how this trend of increasing wages can be rectified?

Re: Greedy footballers?

Iv read that he was offered 50k, either one he is a @rse hole. And offside my ever changing name friend, Wes brown was loyal because he was at the biggest club in the world, playing a few games here and there and getting money. 1 season of starting alot he thinks he can earn the same as stars like ferdinand and Ronaldo, ppffft that guy needs his head checking, cant think of one club that will offer him over 50k. he is not that young now, and not world class. Why pay that much for him. He is a good defender not doubting that but he is a idiot. a true idiot who clearly only cares about money and not the game. Why do @ss holes like that get given the ability to play football at that level :mad:

Brown is going to be United's first choice Right back soon as i don't see neville being as good as he was.Brown should realise that this will help him get into the England squad and he will end up getting the money he deserves.Footballers do get paid to much money but other sports pay there stars way more.I remember last year Soccer am found out how much american footballers,basketball players and baseball players get paid and they earn twice as much as the likes of Terry and Ferdinand.Sport stars should realise they have been given a great gift that the majority of the world would love and they would do what they do for free.I would happily play pro football and do it for free.People should love the game not the money.

I have to agree with Offside. Man Utd (and other big teams before someone starts on me :o ) have set the precedent by paying other stars such high wages. Wes Brown has more than proved his worth this season and won't be short of takers should he not sign a new contract and will probably get a nice signing-on fee also ;) . Surely he's worth more than one-third what his defensive team mate (Rio) is getting.

But then again, Man Utd have stood by him through some of his tougher times and perhaps he should reward them with his loyality.

Iv read that he was offered 50k' date=' either one he is a @rse hole. And offside my ever changing name friend, Wes brown was loyal because he was at the biggest club in the world, playing a few games here and there and getting money. 1 season of starting alot he thinks he can earn the same as stars like ferdinand and Ronaldo, ppffft that guy needs his head checking, cant think of one club that will offer him over 50k. he is not that young now, and not world class. Why pay that much for him. He is a good defender not doubting that but he is a idiot. a true idiot who clearly only cares about money and not the game. Why do @ss holes like that get given the ability to play football at that level :mad:[/quote']

He may not be world class but either way for the money (meh) or footballing reasons he's been loyal. I think he's quite right demanding a better salary ( although no player really deserves 40k a week) it basically lets him know where he stands in the squad how much he's valued. I am sure if he leaves there will be a number of clubs interested even though he may not get what he's asking for at this new club he will more than likely always be first choice for years to come.

All footballers are overpaid! Especially Premiership footballers. The amount of money they are paid is obscene and the money they make in a week working class people would be lucky to earn in a year. Footballers prehaps " work " around 11 hours a week, and get paid these obscene amounts of money. Another thing. A footballer should be paid a fixed amount of cash! If i was the president of football, i would say 2 thousand a week at the most! But that will never ever happen. Wes Brown is very greedy, as are most footballers. 40 , 50 k a week would be a dream for anyone on this forum, so i dont see why he doesnt take it.

He may not be world class but either way for the money (meh) or footballing reasons he's been loyal. I think he's quite right demanding a better salary ( although no player really deserves 40k a week) it basically lets him know where he stands in the squad how much he's valued. I am sure if he leaves there will be a number of clubs interested even though he may not get what he's asking for at this new club he will more than likely always be first choice for years to come.

The highlighted quote from you there really backs my point, that is saying that he is prepared to take less if he pays, but is content to stay on the bench at united if he earns more. thats not right at all. Over rated imo, a steady defender on some great form. Loyalty does not give you the right to 50k + imo, otherwise Lee Hendrie would of been on that kinda money while at villa :eek:

All footballers are overpaid! Especially Premiership footballers. The amount of money they are paid is obscene and the money they make in a week working class people would be lucky to earn in a year. Footballers prehaps " work " around 11 hours a week' date=' and get paid these obscene amounts of money. Another thing. A footballer should be paid a fixed amount of cash! [b']If i was the president of football, i would say 2 thousand a week at the most! [/b]But that will never ever happen. Wes Brown is very greedy, as are most footballers. 40 , 50 k a week would be a dream for anyone on this forum, so i dont see why he doesnt take it.

It's interesting you chose the figure of £2K/week. This is around the maximum that rugby players (both codes) can earn as a result of the salary cap in Rugny. Clubs have a maximum salary cap in which they have to incorporate all players on their playing staff. It then works out that the best players earn slightly more whilst the more junior players earn slightly less.

Not advocating such a figure in football but how do people feel about a salary cap in football? Not necessarily for individual players but for clubs wages as a whole. Would never happen (the big clubs would never allow it) but would certainly make things interesting.

Personally i see it as a must. But the problem is it would cause so many problems in both the proposal and implementing the idea. We would potentially be looking a footballers triking lol :confused::D

The longer its not implemented the harder it will be to implement such an idea. I find it ludicrous how a bloke pays 50 quid a ticket earning national average of 22 k or whatever. yet in one week, one of the players he is watching will earn 20+. Its a joke :mad:

Lower ticket prices and lower wages. Stop making footballer players act like they own the world, greedy bloody Bassas

Takes me back to when Keegan first joined Liverpool from Shorpe and in them days wages were not overboard like now a days ,he asked Shanks how much extra he was on ,his reply was "just the same son" the difference is with this club you will titles and cups and if your good enough get international caps,he made the right decision and the rest is history :)

But its a history lesson Wes Brown needs to learn especially at the club he is now ,unless he comes to LFC any other club would be a backward step .:P;)

Personally i see it as a must. But the problem is it would cause so many problems in both the proposal and implementing the idea. We would potentially be looking a footballers triking lol :confused::D

The longer its not implemented the harder it will be to implement such an idea. I find it ludicrous how a bloke pays 50 quid a ticket earning national average of 22 k or whatever. yet in one week' date=' one of the players he is watching will earn 20+. Its a joke :mad:

Lower ticket prices and lower wages. Stop making footballer players act like they own the world, greedy bloody Bassas[/quote']

Although my suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, I have totally agree with everything you've said. Don't forget we are only talking about player's wages here, only god knows how much they make on top of this through their commercial activities.

The average family with 2.4 children must fork out several thousands of pounds on tickets/season tickets, shirts, scarves, new kits, programmes, matchday food etc. to follow their team. And in the vast majority of cases the amount they are paying each year is increasing by a greater amount that the family income. It's scandalous that all football activity costs more each year yet, in if the clubs are honest, alot of this is to pay these escalating wages.

It's interesting you chose the figure of £2K/week. This is around the maximum that rugby players (both codes) can earn as a result of the salary cap in Rugny. Clubs have a maximum salary cap in which they have to incorporate all players on their playing staff. It then works out that the best players earn slightly more whilst the more junior players earn slightly less.

Not advocating such a figure in football but how do people feel about a salary cap in football? Not necessarily for individual players but for clubs wages as a whole. Would never happen ( the big clubs would never allow it ) but would certainly make things interesting.

You mean the small clubs wont allow it? I think player wages caps will only mean the rich clubs will get richer and poor clubs poorer as in poor clubs wages are already as low as £200 a week so they will not get many benefits, while rich clubs will not have to pay huge wages to their players.

Rugby players play with their hearts for salaries that are only slightly above the national average. Them I respect :)

:)

You mean the small clubs wont allow it? I think player wages caps will only mean the rich clubs will get richer and poor clubs poorer as in poor clubs wages are already as low as £200 a week so they will not get many benefits' date=' while rich clubs will not have to pay huge wages to their players.

Rugby players play with their hearts for salaries that are only slightly above the national average. Them I respect :)[/quote']

Hmmm....interesting points you make and you could be right :) . The scenario played out differently in mind as follows:

- Players not happy at having to take lower wages.

- Clubs having to choose to keep a proportion of their top players and having to release others to conform to the salary cap

- 'Top Players' free to sign for 'smaller clubs' who are happy to pay a little extra for them in order to generate more funds through increased fan base, sponsorship, shirt sales, etc.

- The same 'smaller clubs' achieving better results and climbing the tiers of the league

- Leagues with 'top players' spread amongst several teams and an evening up of resources/finances/playing staff to an extent

But as I say your scenario also seems possible. It would be dependant I guess on the size of the salary cap and the willingness of players to take a paycut (may agree if all in the club agree). Of course this is all purely hypothetical :)

Takes me back to when Keegan first joined Liverpool from Shorpe and in them days wages were not overboard like now a days ' date='he asked Shanks how much extra he was on ,his reply was "just the same son" the difference is with this club you will titles and cups and if your good enough get international caps,he made the right decision and the rest is history :)

But its a history lesson Wes Brown needs to learn especially at the club he is now ,unless he comes to LFC any other club would be a backward step .:P;)[/quote']

Lol, made me reminisce also. The days when footballers (in the main) shunned publicity and the limelight and were happy just to play football and win trophies. None of this protracted contract negotiation. Playing for your country was a honour not a chore. No celebrity marriages/WAGs to keep happy. And most of all money was not the be all and end all. Alas.

To be honest even though i think the top players are greedy and shouldnt be paid as much as this ,you can say the same about the clubs in the top flight because there not setting the best example ,which shows by the famous 39th game they are after which is greed at its worst.

Trouble nowadays is money is just going to the same rich clubs its just self interest and not even bothered about what happens to all the clubs outside the Prem in the rest of English divisions .

We get told by the clubs they have to buy foreign players because the clubs in the lower divisions want more than what they have to pay the foreign clubs .

What they forget is the money these clubs want help them to survive ,after all there coming after there best players .

So what happens you buy all the foreigners a bit cheaper but that money goes out the country in the pockets of clubs that are not benefitting the English Division as a whole .

So eventually the way things are going there will be most clubs outside the Prem going into Administration ,going part time etc ,as this slowly happens it will not only be bad for the league as a whole but the future of the England national team.

As for the high gates,shirt prices etc blame that on us the fans ,if we all voted with our feet and stayed away and kept the wallet shut then it would have a massive affect ,but can you see all the season ticket holders risking giving them up to show how disgruntled they are ,simply no and why ,because even though the fans that are scraping the tickets that are left to watch their club and are unhappy with the high price of tickets theirselves will just jump at the chance to buy these ,so the clubs are on a winner all the way .:)

Lol' date=' made me reminisce also. The days when footballers (in the main) shunned publicity and the limelight and were happy just to play football and win trophies. None of this protracted contract negotiation. Playing for your country was a honour not a chore. No celebrity marriages/WAGs to keep happy. And most of all money was not the be all and end all. Alas.[/quote']

Yep in them days they earnt any extra cash with win bonuses etc,you got more if you played than if you didnt ,so players fought tooth and nail to keep in the team ,thats why we used to play 80 games some season with only 14 players ,nowadays they dont even need to play and get their big wages :)

Wes Brown is a idiot. He isnt as good as he thinks he is.

100% agree' date=' Wes Brown does give me the impression that he thinks he is brilliant, but he is far from it in my opinion. The money it seems as though he wants is ludicrous and nowhere near what he deserves or warrants with his performances. He is inferior to the rest of the United back four by quite a margin in my opinion and is [b']way[/b] too big for his boots, he doesn't deserve what he wants in terms of the money, if it was up to me he'd be on his bike out of Old Trafford.

if it was up to me he'd be on his bike out of Old Trafford.

Just been speaking to Wes on the little mobile gadget ,said if he got paid what he was asking he could then afford a bike with the extra cash flow and do as you wish ,but at the moment what he has is tied up with his boozing bill and womanising ,plus all the money he has to pay to people around him so it looks like he is popular and has friends .

So unless he gets this extra he told me to tell you as his unofficial agent to butt out .:D;):)

Just been speaking to Wes on the little mobile gadget ' date='said if he got paid what he was asking he could then afford a bike with the extra cash flow and do as you wish ,but at the moment what he has is tied up with his boozing bill and womanising ,plus all the money he has to pay to people around him so it looks like he is popular and has friends .

So unless he gets this extra he told me to tell you as his unofficial agent to butt out .:D;):)[/quote']

Haha :D great post :).