Sign in to follow this  
Dai

Official Newcastle United Thread

Re: Real Worry at Newcastle

I must be honest here Newcastle were extremely poor against United. Iwatched the whole game and tbh Newcastle lacked the attacking threats. Yes they conceded 5 goals but apart from the first one and one more it really wasn't down to poor defending. It was just good play by United.

For me what Newcastle lack is a potent attacking threat. Its very odd to say that when a team has Micheal Owen but it's certainly true. I don't know what Keegan is thinking when he deploys Owen as a lone striker. Micheal owen is a much better player when he plays alongside a striker. And there is no supply to owen. Newcastle have no creating midfielders in their ranks. They play Butt' date=' Barton and Smith and none of them have that creative spark. ATM Newcastle are defending poorly but even more worse I cannot see where their goals will come from. Allan Smith is not a CM but is actually a CF.

Kevin Keegan also dosen't look the same man that was once incharge of Newcastle United. He looks tired and he lacks enthusiasm that he had in his previous stint. I would be surpried if he was still the manager come next season.[/quote']

I have to totally disagree with you, its easy to look good when you have defenders who ball watch. Ronaldo's cross for Rooney's first goal was nothing special, all he had to do was put it straight to him as N'Zogbia was catching flies about 10 yards behind him, our defenders could not clear the ball more than 10 yards which meant it fell straight to United players when we did.

We all know how quick Man Utd are when attacking and the pace that they throw men forward, Ronaldo's first was bad marking again as why was Taylor giving him so much space outside when you know how quick he is? Positionally Newcastle were at fault for every goal so I don't know how you can say the Newcastle were not that bad for the other 3 goals is ludicrous really, Scum fans just see what they want to see and not what is really happening, even Rooney's majestic curler was the fault of Newcastle not clearing when they had the chance.

It was easy for Man Utd to look good when the defense they play against just crumbles in front of them, I know that they still had to make the finishes but they were not all that difficult and being payed what they are I would expect them not to miss chances like that.

I just think you are one minded and just see one perspective TBH, Sorry mate.

Smith has played as a striker for Keegan every game but one so far but is drifting into midfield naturally as he is confused what his role is.

We have some awesome playmakers in Milner, N'Zogbia who should be a winger not a LB, Barton (If he sorts his head and aggression out), Its the strikers that I am not happy with, I would RELEASE Michael Owen, he is absolute POOP, I just wish we would cut our losses with him and let him go, I like Martins, Viduka has not been given a fair go yet but hey.......That is the problem.

I have to totally disagree with you' date=' its easy to look good when you have defenders who ball watch. Ronaldo's cross for Rooney's first goal was nothing special, all he had to do was put it straight to him as N'Zogbia was catching flies about 10 yards behind him, our defenders could not clear the ball more than 10 yards which meant it fell straight to United players when we did.

We all know how quick Man Utd are when attacking and the pace that they throw men forward, Ronaldo's first was bad marking again as why was Taylor giving him so much space outside when you know how quick he is? Positionally Newcastle were at fault for every goal so I don't know how you can say the Newcastle were not that bad for the other 3 goals is ludicrous really, Scum fans just see what they want to see and not what is really happening, even Rooney's majestic curler was the fault of Newcastle not clearing when they had the chance.

It was easy for Man Utd to look good when the defense they play against just crumbles in front of them, I know that they still had to make the finishes but they were not all that difficult and being payed what they are I would expect them not to miss chances like that.

I just think you are one minded and just see one perspective TBH, Sorry mate.

Smith has played as a striker for Keegan every game but one so far but is drifting into midfield naturally as he is confused what his role is.

We have some awesome playmakers in Milner, N'Zogbia who should be a winger not a LB, Barton (If he sorts his head and aggression out), Its the strikers that I am not happy with, I would RELEASE Michael Owen, he is absolute POOP, I just wish we would cut our losses with him and let him go, I like Martins, Viduka has not been given a fair go yet but hey.......That is the problem.[/quote']

Ronaldo first goal was a great counter attack and no defense could have done anything about it. And tbh when a team has a bad reputation defensivly people tend to see defensive mistakes in every goal. That was the case even if the goals were perfectly good goals people used to say they defend poorly.

What I mean by a creative spark is someone like Diego or Van Der Vaart who you know can create something out of absolutely nothing. Barton for me was a wste and Butt is decent as a DM but does not give you much attacking wise. N'Zogbia has been their best player by a mile.

Ronaldo first goal was a great counter attack and no defense could have done anything about it. And tbh when a team has a bad reputation defensivly people tend to see defensive mistakes in every goal. That was the case even if the goals were perfectly good goals people used to say they defend poorly.

What I mean by a creative spark is someone like Diego or Van Der Vaart who you know can create something out of absolutely nothing. Barton for me was a wste and Butt is decent as a DM but does not give you much attacking wise. N'Zogbia has been their best player by a mile.

You see a team score five and think wow they must of been brilliant in attack but not in this case. Yes the scum took their chances well but every goal was the fault of a Newcastle defensive error mate.

Im not taking away the quality of the finishing just we could have marked the players and maybe had a chance of stopping one or two.

Ronaldo's is one of the quickest players in the world...Yes? So why would you' date=' as a defender stand along side him and give him the space to run onto a through ball behind you?....You wouldn't you have to sit deeper with him and even though it was a quick break by United the defence gave the ball to United that started that attack and Taylor usually has a bit of knowledge and would cover that sort of run by Ronaldo, he is our best defender and that was the worst performance I have seen from him in 3 years.

So to me it was a defensive mistake for[b'] every [/b]goal

I thought Newcastle's goals where all mistakes too,and I feel Keegan really didn't no what he had gotten himself into.Sam should have been left alone,the problem is all chairmen want instant success,Newcastle where mid-table with no threat of relegation,which for me was the best they could hope for,I'm sure Big Sam would have had them in a better position by next season,I can't see Keegan turning it round,and to be honest,I wouldn't be surprised if they got relegated,he keeps saying they need a win for confidence,but surely it's up to the manager to install that confidence and do a Job,Newcastle have been a lot worse since 'The Dream Ticket' took over,I fear it ending up in tears at the club:(

Birmingham 1-1 Newcastle

OMG, The first half Newcastle looked like a team that totally deserved to be in he Championship now. They pumped so many hopeless long balls forward, I lost count at about 20. It really ****** me off and saddened me that we were playing with such little heart and lack of any quality at all.

Birmingham were pressing for most of the first half but on a whole they were nothing special as the one thing that stood out was the performance of James Mcfadden, he was class, the Newcastle players could not handle him at all. Newcastle did try to gift Birmingham chances by giving the ball to them 18 yards out but we luckily kept them out.

The second half was a massive improvement, not good, but still...an improvement. Martins came alive and was everywhere, we were biting at Birmingham's heels and looked like we were interested at last. Newcastle really did create some decent chances and prevented Birmingham from getting the ball to Mcfadden which proved that they would be nothing without him as they were pretty poor second half.

Overall I think that a draw was a fair result....

We need 3 points against Fulham on Sat or we are doomed I think, I am not too optimistic though as Fulham have one of the best records against us at SJP which is worrying but hey....Maybe we will start playing proper football( I doubt it)

IMO newcastle quickly need some better midfielder then the current i mean none of them have good creavity and with martins and owen imo 2 top class strikers you need some like van der vaart who can pass the ball well and who got good creativity.

To be fair, you were probably a bit unlucky not to come away with all 3 points in the end. To lose the game would have been a disaster. April looks to be the critical month for Newcastle. Barring the Tyne-Wear derby, you're up against teams who have little to play for in league terms as we approach that part of the season. I fear for you though if you are not far enough clear by the start of May.

IMO newcastle quickly need some better midfielder then the current i mean none of them have good creavity and with martins and owen imo 2 top class strikers you need some like van der vaart who can pass the ball well and who got good creativity.

Yup, I agree but with the team playing like a bunch of Grannies it will be hard to lure in any top players IMO.

We should of had Newcastle tonight' date=' another lucky goal to Owen.[/quote']

How can you say that? We were all over you in the second half!! If anything we should of won...

Owen missed a sitter before he scored.

Martins made the goal with a great shot which was parried by Taylor and Owen did well to react quickest!! Was not luck!! Bad defending led to the goal!

How can you say that? We were all over you in the second half!! If anything we should of won...

Owen missed a sitter before he scored.

Martins made the goal with a great shot which was parried by Taylor and Owen did well to react quickest!! Was not luck!! Bad defending led to the goal!

Yeah, the second half, but we still had the better chances, and his goal was a tap in.

Yeah' date=' the second half, but we still had the better chances, and his goal was a tap in.[/quote']

Did you see any other player play well for you other than McFadden? I didn't....He was your only threat....You created a few chances in th first half but we created more in the second half with Owen missing that sitter and we should have had a penalty before that miss....

The goal was not a tap in!!!! Owen was 3-4 yard behind Jaidi and Kelly and still poked the ball home...As much as I hate Owen, it was a poachers goal for sure, not a tap in.

McFadden's was more of a tap in after donkey Faye ballsed up!!

Did you see any other player play well for you other than McFadden? I didn't....He was your only threat....You created a few chances in th first half but we created more in the second half with Owen missing that sitter and we should have had a penalty before that miss....

The goal was not a tap in!!!! Owen was 3-4 yard behind Jaidi and Kelly and still poked the ball home...As much as I hate Owen' date=' it was a poachers goal for sure, not a tap in.

McFadden's was more of a tap in after donkey Faye ballsed up!![/quote']

Ok 1. How should of you ever had a Penalty?

2. Mcfaddens goal was no were near as much, he ran with the ball and hit it in.

3. Maumba he played well, i didnt see anyone play well for Newcastle.

Ok 1. How should of you ever had a Penalty?

2. Mcfaddens goal was no were near as much' date=' he ran with the ball and hit it in.

3. Maumba he played well, i didnt see anyone play well for Newcastle.[/quote']

Fair enough......We watched 2 different games then...:confused:

Not really' date=' im just going to back Birmingham and you will back Newcastle.[/quote']

If you read my first post on this subject then you will clearly see that I was very fair to both teams..

You have just come on and said that you deserved it when you didn't, neither teams did, I was saying we were the most unlucky not to come away with three points....

You just see Birmingham's performance as thats all you want to see......

I try to give an un-biased assessment more often than not....Biased replies to what I say make me defend or add to criticism of my team and others

Simple as that

Kevin Keegan is the wrong man for the job !!

Sorry but Newcastle deserve everything they got for sacking Allardyce .... do you honestly think if he was still there you would still be in this position ?

Dear oh dear -- KK the messiah pmsl :D

I don't think Alardyce would have us in a much better position tbh!!

He made the wrong signings, he really did. Jose Enrique needs releasing, Faye is a waste of space, Barton is just a thug, Geremi can not cross a ball past the first man ever!, Cacapa ain't too bad but is not good either, Beye is promising..

I am not too worried as in Keegan's first time with us we were on the verge of going into the English third division at the time, we scored a goal in the second minute of injury time on the final day of the season and we stayed up, after that he went on to guide us to the Champions League and nearly a League and FA Cup title...

There is a little hope yet!!

Sheff Wed,Sheff utd,Ipswich,Norwich,Wolves ,WBA,Southampton and Coventry what have these all in common besides being in the Championship at the moment ,They all have been in the top flight in there time .

Take the latter two Southampton came down in 2005 and Coventry 2001,the Saints before coming down had spent a run of 27yrs and Sky Blues 34yrs in the top flight .

All this should be a warning to Newcastle ,they because of there magnificent support more so since the beginning of 90s are classed as a massive club and are at the wrong end but truthfully except for a spell under Keegan they never have been challenging at the top end consistently in all there time in the top flight .

Its there following that gives this illusion and their own believe that it should be ,also let us remember there is only one club in this highly populated City not two or more hence why such a massive following .

Newcastle did get relegated i think about 1989 (not positive on date ) and even mentioned i think on this thread by welshman28385 in this period nearly went further down to 3rd,saved by two final wins against Pompey and Leicester.

It was when Keegan took over in this period of decline that changed the fortune just like Shanks did with LFC ,same situation in 2nd Div and going nowhere .

Keegan got them back into the top flight and over a brief period you could class the magpies as one of the big uns ,but again short lived because Newcastle is with the fan base a team that has the potential of being massive but to me have never full filled this ambition for a long time and dont seem like looking to in the near future neither .

Again could be wrong but i think Welshman again said on early thread that if they go down wont tumble further ,dont bet on it because it wont be that easy to get or keep top players if you dont bounce straight back ,Sheff wed or even Coventry and Southampton could get relegated to Div 1 at end of season yet they when in top flight have done as much as Newcastle over last 20 yrs.

Look at Div 1 ,

Leeds,Forest.

Yes we know what has helped the downfall of Leeds ,but Forest ex European champions (twice so no fluke ) and believe me im not lying when saying at the time under Clough they were brilliant but it just shows a big name and fan base dosnt mean nothing if you dont do the buisness.

Biggest shock i remember was the last club anyone ever expected to get relegated were Man utd but they did.

Right after my doom and gloom thread for Newcastle :eek: i actually dont think they will go down ,just pointing out with other clubs never take nothing for granted even being to good to not get relegated again from Champions league ,it happens .;)

Okay table at moment .

12.Wigan played 30-31pts.

13.Middlesbrough 30-31

14. Newcastle 30 -29

15.Reading 30-28

16.Birmingham 30-27

17.Sunderland 30-27

18.Bolton 29-25

19.Fulham 30-23

20. Derby 30-10.

So Derby are doomed unless Moses comes along and manages them.

So other two will basically come from this list because unless either Fulham / Bolton win all remaining games then this will only fetch Spurs into the equation if they lose all theirs which i dont see happening .

Form table for last 6 games.

Wigan 11pts.

Birmingham 7pts.

Fulham 7pts.

Boro 6pts.

Reading 6pts.

Sunderland 4pts.

Bolton 4pts.

Newcastle 2pts

Derby 2pts.

Maybe i was wrong looking at this it may be Newcastle need to employ Moses and leave Derby doomed anyway .:D

So 8 games left between them all except Bolton 9.

Teams below the Toon Army .

Reading at home/ Birmingham,Blackburn,Fulham and Spurs.

Away/Newcastle,Arsenal.Wigan and Derby .

Birmingham -home/ Man city,everton,Liverpool and blackburn.

Away/Reading,Wigan,Villa and fulham.

Sunderland-home/ W.ham,mancity,Boro and arsenal.

Away/Villa ,fulham ,Newcastle and bolton.

Bolton -home/Man city,Arsenal,W.ham and sunderland.

Away/ Man utd,Villa,Boro,Spurs and Chelsea.

Fulham-home/ Derby,Sunderland,Liverpool and Birmingham .

Away/ Newcastle ,Reading ,Man city and portsmouth.

Derby-home/ Fulham,Villa,Arsenal and Reading.

Away/ Boro,Everton,W.ham and Blackburn.

So if we take Derby as one of the three they have two of the teams below Newcastle at home ,so dont put it past them to take at least a point of one of these if not both.

Fulham 6 points behind so two game advantage,next away game against Newcastle so vital the toon win this one at home .

Bolton not the best of away fixtures to have at this stage ,also with Fulham games to play against the others so points dropped anyway by whoever so in favour of UTD.

Same with the other three,Reading,Sunderland and Birmingham,

Reading,Sunderland go to Newcastle plus play teams around them so must be more dropped points in favour .

Birmingham no easy run in at home ,

But all this might look good for the toon but not if they do not win there next 3 home games against the main ones below them,because if not there last home game and the away wont be easy pickings of points the way there playing at mo .

Home/ Fulham,Reading,Sunderland and Chelsea.

Away/ Spurs,Portsmouth ,W.Ham and Everton .

All in all a very interesting climax to who goes down at the finish.:D:)

Right after my doom and gloom thread for Newcastle :eek: i actually dont think they will go down ' date='just pointing out with other clubs never take nothing for granted even being to good to not get relegated again from Champions league ,it happens .;)

Okay table at moment .

12.Wigan played 30-31pts.

13.Middlesbrough 30-31

[b']14. Newcastle [/b]30 -29

15.Reading 30-28

16.Birmingham 30-27

17.Sunderland 30-27

18.Bolton 29-25

19.Fulham 30-23

20. Derby 30-10.

So Derby are doomed unless Moses comes along and manages them.

So other two will basically come from this list because unless either Fulham / Bolton win all remaining games then this will only fetch Spurs into the equation if they lose all theirs which i dont see happening .

Form table for last 6 games.

Wigan 11pts.

Birmingham 7pts.

Fulham 7pts.

Boro 6pts.

Reading 6pts.

Sunderland 4pts.

Bolton 4pts.

Newcastle 2pts

Derby 2pts.

Maybe i was wrong looking at this it may be Newcastle need to employ Moses and leave Derby doomed anyway .:D

So 8 games left between them all except Bolton 9.

Teams below the Toon Army .

Reading at home/ Birmingham,Blackburn,Fulham and Spurs.

Away/Newcastle,Arsenal.Wigan and Derby .

Birmingham -home/ Man city,everton,Liverpool and blackburn.

Away/Reading,Wigan,Villa and fulham.

Sunderland-home/ W.ham,mancity,Boro and arsenal.

Away/Villa ,fulham ,Newcastle and bolton.

Bolton -home/Man city,Arsenal,W.ham and sunderland.

Away/ Man utd,Villa,Boro,Spurs and Chelsea.

Fulham-home/ Derby,Sunderland,Liverpool and Birmingham .

Away/ Newcastle ,Reading ,Man city and portsmouth.

Derby-home/ Fulham,Villa,Arsenal and Reading.

Away/ Boro,Everton,W.ham and Blackburn.

So if we take Derby as one of the three they have two of the teams below Newcastle at home ,so dont put it pass them to take at least a point of one of these if not both.

Fulham 6 points behind so two game advantage,next away game against Newcastle so vital the toon win this one at home .

Bolton not the best of away fixtures to have at this stage ,also with Fulham games to play against the others so points dropped anyway by whoever so in favour of UTD.

Same with the other three,Reading,Sunderland and Birmingham,

Reading,Sunderland have to got to Newcastle plus play teams around them so must be more dropped points in favour .

Birmingham no easy run in at home ,

But all this might look good for the toon but not if they do not win there next 3 home games against the main ones below them,because if not there last home game and the away wont be easy pickings of points the way there playing at mo .

Home/ Fulham,Reading,Sunderland and Chelsea.

Away/ Spurs,Portsmouth ,W.Ham and Everton .

All in all a very interesting climax to who goes down at the finish.:D:)

How can Moses save either? he parted a few waves. I can see one of his "Management Commandments" : "thou shalt not lose, or were buggered."

Derby are already down we all knew that in the first game this season. as for the other two "doomed" teams, I can't see Bolton going down and Fulham are picking up the pace.

Newcastle

Sunderland and Derby down for me.

Good posts Crazy Bones!!

I think it is all in our own hands now!! We play a few of the teams around us and they may well be 6 pointers, we need to win them for sure.

I know we are not too big to get relegated, we are a big club but there are big clubs in the Championship. We could very easily be one of them.

We have not had much success in the last 20yrs but since we have been in the Premiership we have been a solid team and been worthy of our place.

I said before that we will not go down again if we go down this season, I will stick by this and will always!!