Sign in to follow this  
Dai

Official Newcastle United Thread

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread

Santon has signed. I'm not saying it is going to be a good signing because he hasn't even played yet but it is shrewd business when you see the other fees (Sunderland have bid £10m for Peter Crouch if you believe Sky Sports News). £5m for a 20 year old who has caps for Italy is good business even if it seems he has lost his way a bit recently. Hopefully this can kickstart his career again! If a striker isn't signed before 11pm tomorrow then I will be disappointed on one hand but the business this summer has been very good but failing to get one in is criminal. They have known for six months and hand enough money to get it done.

Santon has signed. I'm not saying it is going to be a good signing because he hasn't even played yet but it is shrewd business when you see the other fees (Sunderland have bid £10m for Peter Crouch if you believe Sky Sports News). £5m for a 20 year old who has caps for Italy is good business even if it seems he has lost his way a bit recently. Hopefully this can kickstart his career again! If a striker isn't signed before 11pm tomorrow then I will be disappointed on one hand but the business this summer has been very good but failing to get one in is criminal. They have known for six months and hand enough money to get it done.

Signed both now,just need a striker in by tomorrow,If we could get Macheda on loan and another forward in on a permanent deal I'd be happy with that.

This is my first post in a while but yesterday was a very good performance from players who haven't been great (Ba, Obertan and Tiote) and the team in general. Cabaye was very good with his passing and was unlucky not to score. Marveaux had a good 20 minutes when he came on. I wasn't even that annoyed with Jonas as he helped out in defence and wasn't stopping and starting all the time like he normally does. Still in the top 4 too! :D:P;) I have read some Villa forums since and they think it was down to negative tactics from Alex McLeish that lead to the midfield domination but I still think the team did well.

Im a united fan and was wondering what you think of obertan, i havn't really seen much of him since he moved. I never knew what to make of him at united, he always looked like something was there but he just needed to get a bit more experience but i was really unsure on him. Has he been playing well and do u think there is a chance of him rising.

Im a united fan and was wondering what you think of obertan' date=' i havn't really seen much of him since he moved. I never knew what to make of him at united, he always looked like something was there but he just needed to get a bit more experience but i was really unsure on him. Has he been playing well and do u think there is a chance of him rising.[/quote']

Flashes of brilliance yet has flattered to deceive so far,think there's ability there but just needs some confidence to fully flourish,needs a goal or an assist and if he does get that I think he could be a very good player.

I'd say the jury is out on him but yet I can see why we brought him in.

This is my first post in a while but yesterday was a very good performance from players who haven't been great (Ba' date=' Obertan and Tiote) and the team in general. Cabaye was very good with his passing and was unlucky not to score. Marveaux had a good 20 minutes when he came on. I wasn't even that annoyed with Jonas as he helped out in defence and wasn't stopping and starting all the time like he normally does. Still in the top 4 too! :D:P;) I have read some Villa forums since and they think it was down to negative tactics from Alex McLeish that lead to the midfield domination but I still think the team did well.[/quote']

Ba did a little bit more running than usual but I still dislike him more than any other player in the squad, EVEN PERCH! :eek: Seein as I'm a Welsh Newcastle fan, a player with that name should be my favourite don't you think? :P But, no, far from it.

Obertan wasn't great, running down dead ends and wasting chances to get the ball in at times. There is alot of potential thgere and I think he will come good.

Tiote gave the ball away more than i have ever seen him before. Not sre what he was doing at times. He closed down very well though as usual but I think he was poor overall.

I liked Marveaux when he started against Shorpe, albeit lower league opposition, he was brilliant. I think he should start LM with Jonas going RM and Obertan up top with Best/Sh-Ameobi.

Loving having Side-show at the back now. He's very solid and looks like the defender we have needed for years. Since Woodgate left.

We were superb yesterday, well deserving of a win. Cabaye was outstanding! Commentary on Setanta kept going on about how lucky we were to snap him up and I agree fully! If we can build around him then I think we can start challenging in the coming seasons. Not for the League obviously but for Europe.

I think we should of won but was really pleased to see a good performance for the first time this season.

Ba did a little bit more running than usual but I still dislike him more than any other player in the squad' date=' EVEN PERCH! :eek: Seein as I'm a Welsh Newcastle fan, a player with that name should be my favourite don't you think? :P But, no, far from it.

Obertan wasn't great, running down dead ends and wasting chances to get the ball in at times. There is alot of potential thgere and I think he will come good.

Tiote gave the ball away more than i have ever seen him before. Not sre what he was doing at times. He closed down very well though as usual but I think he was poor overall.

I liked Marveaux when he started against Shorpe, albeit lower league opposition, he was brilliant. I think he should start LM with Jonas going RM and Obertan up top with Best/Sh-Ameobi.

Loving having Side-show at the back now. He's very solid and looks like the defender we have needed for years. Since Woodgate left.

[b']We were superb yesterday, well deserving of a win. Cabaye was outstanding! Commentary on Setanta kept going on about how lucky we were to snap him up and I agree fully! If we can build around him then I think we can start challenging in the coming seasons. Not for the League obviously but for Europe.[/b]

I think we should of won but was really pleased to see a good performance for the first time this season.

Can't see us to holding him for that long though in all honesty,I think were constantly going to be a club now where we'll be looking for bargains and hoping to sell them on for a bigger fee,if Cabaye and Tiote have another good season then both could be sold on for big fees compared to what we brought them in for and both could easily move on.

I agree that in an ideal world we'd keep hold of them in the long term and look to improve on the right back position,forwards and wingers to take the club up to the next level,think were going to be a selling club unfortunately were we will be selling players on for massive fees and only reinvest a fraction of that back into the club on replacements and then hope to sell them on for profits again.

I think Cabaye know this when he come here as well though,he knew he needed a platform to perform on and he achieved everything he could in France after winning the double with Lille,so he obviously thought he'd come here prove how good he is and hope to be snapped up by a top four club,and from what I've seen his more than capable of doing that.

As for other news I hope Ben Arfa comes through this training session and then plays tomorrow against Forest,really got massive hopes for him and I know how talented he is but he has been denied by injury so far which is unfortunate.

Looking forward to the rest of the season and I think we could do well as we've got 9 points and except for Villa we haven't played that well in all the other games.

I can see some of you (Dai ;)) don't think the three players I pointed out were that good but it was much better than they have been this season. Tiote has been shocking in most games this season but he was better with his closing down and tackling. Obertan has annoyed me so far because of his reluctance to run at the opposition down the wing but he did against Villa but he needs to keep it up. Ba looks fitter and he was linking well with Best so hopefully there is more to come now he isn't fasting anymore (same for Tiote as well). It is a shame that the Forest game isn't on TV because I'm quite looking forward to see how Marveaux and Sammy Ameobi can do when they get a start. If it was down to me I would give Cabaye a rest and play Gosling. I would also rest Coloccini but the options at centre half are awful. James Perch is the back up centre half until Williamson is back! :eek:

tiote looks awful again against villa.really disappointed in him this season, giving away the ball so easily and keep doing his redundant 180 degree turn.i dont know whether is it he wanted to shield the ball but opposing players always put pressure on him when he takes his time on the ball.his passing was inaccurate as well.

Sounded like a cracker last night' date=' shame it weren't on the telly box. :o[/quote']

Yup a real shame as from the radio it sounded like a back and forth game that could have gone either way,sounded like Marveaux was superb and Ben Arfa and Abeid seemed to show flashes of what there capable of and impressed as well.

Shame Vuckic's still injured otherwise I think he'd have featured in this game.

BEN ARFA IS BACK!!! I know he played mid-week but his first home appearance for 11 months! Got a great reacton from the crowd.

Take nothing away from us today but Blackburn were so poor! I was expecting a tight game as they have a good record at SJP. We played so, so well, mainly down to being allowed to by their poor defending and lack of ambition to close us down when we had the ball.

Demba Ba was outstanding! Where has be been hiding until now? He plays like that every week then I will gladly eat every bad word I have said about him.

Leon Best coundl't hit a barn door! Why does he feel the need to try and break the net with every strike? A combination of that and his foot seeming to be a pitching wedge today was all that stood in the way of him netting a couple of times.

Tiote, again, gave the ball away, under no pressure too many times. Great closing down though, again, we know he's one of the best at that. Plus, he didn't get a booking. Happy days!:D

Obertan lacks end product. He can run as fast as he wants with the ball but its pointless if nothing comes at the end of it. Hopefully he'll improve.

Apart from Taylor stupidly giving the ball away for their goal, we looked very solid at the back. Was a very pleasing performance all-round.

Dai summed it up quite well. I still think this team can get better if Marveaux and Ben Arfa get into the side. I have been warming to Jonas because he is such a help to Ryan Taylor when he is playing out of position but he never crosses the ball and I think those two would help the team become more creative and fluid. Jonas is always stopping and cutting inside when Ben Arfa and Marveaux just keep running. Of course we don't know how he will get on but Santon is still to come back. Things are looking up for us.

Oh dear. Slightly fortunate is an undertsatement! I think we deserved to throw that away after a very poor second half display. So good in the first half then didn't come out for the second.

Very fortunate that Doyle's goal was disallowed. I saw nothing wrong in it.

We scored two great goals. Great set-piece and a lovely individual goal from Jonas.

Obertan is getting on my nerves. Cheeky flicks in his own third of the field that result in giving the ball away, then, up the other end, he wont try anything to beat a man but try and run past them. End product is still woeful too! Get Ben Arfa starting on the right, please!

Same again from Tiote. A few lapses of concentration gave the ball away. Otherwise, a decent display.

Very lucky to get another win but its a great platform ahead of some tough games coming up. International break has come as we are building some sort of momentum which is disappointing but hey, we are third, still unbeaten. :D

I have no idea how we went from being so good in the first half to so poor in the second half. Lucky, lucky, lucky!

But... we're still undefeated and third in the league. Life is good.

Oh and Jonas... Jonas.... Jonas.... I thought i was watching Messi for a minute.

Oh dear. Slightly fortunate is an undertsatement! I think we deserved to throw that away after a very poor second half display. So good in the first half then didn't come out for the second.

Very fortunate that Doyle's goal was disallowed. I saw nothing wrong in it.

We scored two great goals. Great set-piece and a lovely individual goal from Jonas.

Obertan is getting on my nerves. Cheeky flicks in his own third of the field that result in giving the ball away' date=' then, up the other end, he wont try anything to beat a man but try and run past them. End product is still woeful too! Get Ben Arfa starting on the right, please!

Same again from Tiote. A few lapses of concentration gave the ball away. Otherwise, a decent display.

Very lucky to get another win but its a great platform ahead of some tough games coming up. International break has come as we are building some sort of momentum which is disappointing but hey, we are third, still unbeaten. :D[/quote']

And that is why we were delighted when you bought him :)

Didn't he just score against Wolves? :D

He's still an awful player and defies belief that he gets a 4 year contract when players like Barton and Nolan are let go when just a year older. :rolleyes:

Great result today, would have took a point at their ground but a win is massive. Three out the next 4 are homes games and against the likes of Everton and Wigan we should be over the 20 point mark by the time we play Man City. ;)