Sign in to follow this  
Dai

Official Newcastle United Thread

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread

He's still an awful player and defies belief that he gets a 4 year contract when players like Barton and Nolan are let go when just a year older. :rolleyes:

Great result today' date=' would have took a point at their ground but a win is massive. Three out the next 4 are homes games and against the likes of Everton and Wigan we should be over the 20 point mark by the time we play Man City. ;)[/quote']

My first point will be contracts mean nothing so don't get too worried about it. Any decent offer for Jonas and he will be sold. Regarding Nolan/Barton - Nolan wanted a 4/5 year contract at £50,000 per week. Given how slow he is now it would have been idiotic and I was with Mike Ashley on that one. I was reading a West Ham forum last week and they are already disappointed with Nolan. He isn't playing well and a lot of them have already noticed if he doesn't score goals he isn't doing anything else. Barton is the only one to blame for his departure. You can't criticize your employers and expect it to go down well. I think he knew what he was doing in an attempt to force a move and he got a very good offer from QPR that was not going to be matched by Ashley.

My first point will be contracts mean nothing so don't get too worried about it. Any decent offer for Jonas and he will be sold. Regarding Nolan/Barton - Nolan wanted a 4/5 year contract at £50' date='000 per week. Given how slow he is now it would have been idiotic and I was with Mike Ashley on that one. I was reading a West Ham forum last week and they are already disappointed with Nolan. He isn't playing well and a lot of them have already noticed if he doesn't score goals he isn't doing anything else. Barton is the only one to blame for his departure. You can't criticize your employers and expect it to go down well. I think he knew what he was doing in an attempt to force a move and he got a very good offer from QPR that was not going to be matched by Ashley.[/quote']

Finally, someone who agrees with me about Nolan going being a good thing. He was good for us whilst he was there but given the midfield we have now theres not alot of room for him and £50k a week for someone whos not likely to play every game now is idiotic.

My first point will be contracts mean nothing so don't get too worried about it. Any decent offer for Jonas and he will be sold. Regarding Nolan/Barton - Nolan wanted a 4/5 year contract at £50' date='000 per week. Given how slow he is now it would have been idiotic and I was with Mike Ashley on that one. I was reading a West Ham forum last week and they are already disappointed with Nolan. He isn't playing well and a lot of them have already noticed if he doesn't score goals he isn't doing anything else. Barton is the only one to blame for his departure. You can't criticize your employers and expect it to go down well. I think he knew what he was doing in an attempt to force a move and he got a very good offer from QPR that was not going to be matched by Ashley.[/quote']

Yh Barton is opinionated and should have kept his mouth shut but taking him out of the team defintely makes us weaker imo.

I know contracts mean nothing nowadays, it's not so much about that it's mainly the fact I'm going to have to watch him run into fallbacks and dead alleys as he attempts to pull off a Maradona run which will come off once every season for the next 4 years....:rolleyes:

Yh Barton is opinionated and should have kept his mouth shut but taking him out of the team defintely makes us weaker imo.

I know contracts mean nothing nowadays' date=' it's not so much about that it's mainly the fact I'm going to have to watch him run into fallbacks and dead alleys as he attempts to pull off a Maradona run which will come off once every season for the next 4 years....:rolleyes:[/quote']

I'd be surprised if Jonas is in the team by the end of the season. Pardew is introducing Marveaux in slowly to give him a chance to get used to English football and Ben Arfa is only just getting back from his broken leg. Both are much better than Jonas in the attacking department. One thing I will give Jonas credit for is him helping out Ryan Taylor while he has been playing left back. He has doubled up on the opposition winger which has been good. Without it I think left back would have been more of a problem area the last month or two.

The only way Barton's absence has made us weaker IMO is we've got less 'bite' now in the middle. Except for Tiote we haven't really got any players to get stuck in but hey... it's working so far. The real test will come when we're losing in games and have to grind results out.

The only way Barton's absence has made us weaker IMO is we've got less 'bite' now in the middle. Except for Tiote we haven't really got any players to get stuck in but hey... it's working so far. The real test will come when we're losing in games and have to grind results out.

Cabaye isn't afraid of getting stuck in. Barton does enjoy a tackle but he is more of a loose cannon. He did reign himself in over the last few years but he can loose his head (Gervinho against Arsenal and punching Pedersen last season).

Cabaye isn't afraid of getting stuck in. Barton does enjoy a tackle but he is more of a loose cannon. He did reign himself in over the last few years but he can loose his head (Gervinho against Arsenal and punching Pedersen last season).

Cabaye is going to be the buy of this season by May. £4.3m!? In todays market!?!

Still looking forward to seeing Marveaux starting more.

First season in a long while where i actually look forward to watching us play :D

Good to keep our unbeaten record intact but slightly disappointed we didn't make the most of a poor Tottenham performance.

Definate penalty for Spurs' first goal. Cabaye given the ball under pressure and Livermore did well to dis-posess him leaving Adebayor to run at Taylor, which is always risky lol. It was a scrappy first half but I felt we didn't deserve to be 1-0 down at half time.

Great start to the second half. Jonas making the most of Modric's lack oif defensive skill to set up Ba who wouldn't miss a chance like that seeing he's high in confidence.

Spurs took the lead again, probably against the run of play. Defoe is the type of player that our defence will and always has struggled against. I think we could/should of prevented the ball getting to him but once he had it, it was a great finish!

Best and Ba both off in substitutions was surprising. Granted, Best didn't do much but I would of prefered Obertan to go off. SHola coming on tactually had me excited. Iv'e never been confident when seeing him start a game or come off the bench but I was pleased to see him introduced. He looked sharp (when I say sharp, I mean as sharp as humanly possible for him). His strike to equalize was the goal of the game. He's always been decent on his left foot but Iv'e never seen such a good finish from him. Delighted when it went in. Gutted Side-Show couldn't seal a win with his chance near the end but a point will do.

Cabaye wasn't as good as previous weeks, maybe Livermore's presence curbed him slightly.

Tiote was class. Best performance of the season in my book. Earned his MOM award.

Obertan can't start next week surely. I was hoping he'd get better as the season went on but I think he's getting WORSE! Ben Arfa or Marveaux must start against Wigan next week!

Delighted with the defence. Bale wasn't in the game, on the right or the left. Spurs are a good team and will create chances but I feel our defence stood firm for the majority.

Bring on Wigan next week now. :)

Where to start?

Great goal from Cabaye. The first of many I hope!

We were poor today. Wigan set up to stop Tiote and Cabaye running things and were succesful for the majority. The way we set up didn't help. Starting Obertan again means we only have one side of the pitch we can create decent chances from.

Wigan played to our weaknesses and it almost payed off! They lack serious quality luckily otherwise we may of been in for a wake up call.

Impressed with Jonas again. In attack and defence. Tiote was solid. Cabaye was solid. As I said, they weren't allowed to pull the strings as they would have liked to.

Best played quite well. I was shocked when he was taken off at half time. Unless there is an injury I didn't hear about. It was hard for both Best and Ba in the first half as the service was woeful. Too many over the top balls within too little space.

Hopefully Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Santon start against Blackburn mid-week and stake a claim to start against stoke.

Can't complain too much though. 19 points from 9 games. Still unbeaten. :)

You pretty much summed it all up Dai really. We were poor for alot of the game, especially in the first half (like against Spurs). Why he's still starting Obertan is beyond me. Give Marveaux a chance to start and show what he can do, because he's been tearing up the reserves.

Jonas just seems to get better and better, not only is he tracking back constantly now but he's actually starting to add that final touch/final product to his game.

Ba was disappointing, but he's like that, he'll be like that all season i feel, just as everyones raving about him, he'll have a couple of poor games.

Cabaye's was a screamer. Great hit just as we needed it as well because the next four games are going to be a nightmare. If we come away with two point i think i'd be a success. Still cannot complain though.

Yh' date=' such a shame to go out like that, with our great start to league would have thought we could take more risks in the cup comps but once again we get knocked out early. :o[/quote']

Just as long as this doesn't trigger a losing streak in the league now i'll be ok. Especially considering we've got Stoke, Everton, City, United & Chelsea in the next five this could go very wrong very quickly.

It's a shame though because the way we've started the season, the Carling Cup was a legit chance of success.

I know the stats are decent, but how do you lot feel you are doing defensively in the league?

Would you agree that you havent been really tested yet, or would you argue that you are looking a lot more solid and organised at the back?

Some tricky games coming up that will probably let us know where you are at present imo.

I know the stats are decent' date=' but how do you lot feel you are doing defensively in the league?

Would you agree that you havent been really tested yet, or would you argue that you are looking a lot more solid and organised at the back?

Some tricky games coming up that will probably let us know where you are at present imo.[/quote']

With a right footer and probably weak defensively Ryan Taylor at LB, we shouldn't have the decent record we do have thus far. He's poor at defending but offers so much going forward its hard to leave him out. If teams really targeted him then we would struggle. Granted, Jonas has helped out no end this season but if teams like Utd got down the right hand side with RM and RB we would get torn apart. Which is what will probably happen in our meeting in a few weeks.

Danny Simpson isn't great either IMO. He stands off too much. Like Spethen Carr used to do, back off when people ran at him instead of either showing them inside our outside and backing yourself. Simpson offers little to nothing going forward.

Taylor still has the little rush of blood in him from time to time and has a brain meltdown, resulting in a goal against or a close call but on the whole, he's a good defender.

Side-Show is brilliant. He has the tendancy to dwell on the ball a little bit in dangerous areas but he's skillful, most of the time, to get out of those situations. Great in the air, has decent pace and he's been a great leader this season.

Our good defensive record stems from Tiote and Cabaye though. Tiote is our rock that will stay in front of the back 4 for the majority and Cabaye is a little engine that gets forward and back with ease it seems. They give so much cover through the middle.

With a right footer and probably weak defensively Ryan Taylor at LB' date=' we shouldn't have the decent record we do have thus far. He's poor at defending but offers so much going forward its hard to leave him out. If teams really targeted him then we would struggle. Granted, Jonas has helped out no end this season but if teams like Utd got down the right hand side with RM and RB we would get torn apart. Which is what will probably happen in our meeting in a few weeks.

Danny Simpson isn't great either IMO. He stands off too much. Like Spethen Carr used to do, back off when people ran at him instead of either showing them inside our outside and backing yourself. Simpson offers little to nothing going forward.

Taylor still has the little rush of blood in him from time to time and has a brain meltdown, resulting in a goal against or a close call but on the whole, he's a good defender.

Side-Show is brilliant. He has the tendancy to dwell on the ball a little bit in dangerous areas but he's skillful, most of the time, to get out of those situations. Great in the air, has decent pace and he's been a great leader this season.

Our good defensive record stems from Tiote and Cabaye though. Tiote is our rock that will stay in front of the back 4 for the majority and Cabaye is a little engine that gets forward and back with ease it seems. They give so much cover through the middle.[/quote']

Thanks for the reply.

I think the next few games will maybe promote your thoughts even more as the above players are not going to be able to get away with their 'little moments'.

Cabaye has impressed me no end though tbh. I think you lot have got a real bargain there and you would do well to keep hold of him in the summer, if he keeps performing as he has.

Thanks for the reply.

I think the next few games will maybe promote your thoughts even more as the above players are not going to be able to get away with their 'little moments'.

Cabaye has impressed me no end though tbh. I think you lot have got a real bargain there and you would do well to keep hold of him in the summer' date=' if he keeps performing as he has.[/quote']

Oh, now doubt these next 4 games will test our resolve and see if we have just bluffed it up to now.

Saying that, I have watched every game this season bar the League Cup tie on Wednesday and we have performed well on the whole. 3 or 4 poor performances in which we have left the game with something. We may have turned a corner, somewhat.

As for Cabaye. I feel Newcastle is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The profit to be made on him is too big for Fat Mike to overlook I fear. I'm just delighted we have him for the moment.

Oh' date=' now doubt these next 4 games will test our resolve and see if we have just bluffed it up to now.

Saying that, I have watched every game this season bar the League Cup tie on Wednesday and we have performed well on the whole. 3 or 4 poor performances in which we have left the game with something. We may have turned a corner, somewhat.

As for Cabaye. I feel Newcastle is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The profit to be made on him is too big for Fat Mike to overlook I fear. I'm just delighted we have him for the moment.[/quote']

Speaking of "Fat Mike":D, how are the current opinions/protest of him at present?

Has he got away with keeping the Carroll money and sacking Hughton due to the clubs start this season, or are the fans just 'below' boiling point with him at the moment, waiting to erupt after a couple of defeats?

Speaking of "Fat Mike":D' date=' how are the current opinions/protest of him at present?

Has he got away with keeping the Carroll money and sacking Hughton due to the clubs start this season, or are the fans just 'below' boiling point with him at the moment, waiting to erupt after a couple of defeats?[/quote']

I'm indifferent at the moment. He takes no credit for the performances so far other than appointing Pardew and the cheif scout Graham Carr. I have plenty of things I dislike about him and what he has done but while the team is playing well I can put it to the back of my mind and forget about it. I still fear he will rear his fat, ugly head again in January and do something stupid to get the fans annoyed again. Liverpool are monitoring Coloccini so that would be my bet.

Tough game away to Stoke tonight.

I fear we will lose and lose heavily. Bring us down to earth with a bang!

I hope Obertan is on the bench and Ben Arfa/Marveaux start but I can't see it.

Tough game away to Stoke tonight.

I fear we will lose and lose heavily. Bring us down to earth with a bang!

I hope Obertan is on the bench and Ben Arfa/Marveaux start but I can't see it.

I don't think this is the right game for Ben Arfa to start on the right due to Stoke's physical nature of play which means a serious injury is far more likely than in other games,I'd be tempted to stick Marveaux on the right even though it's not his natural position as his impressed me in every game so far.

Obertan looks like his got so much potential but seems to have no confidence in himself to produce any of it :(.

Kind of glad to see i'm not the only one fearing tonight a bit.

It's going to be a seriously tough game. I just hope the Blackburn loss didn't do too much to our confidence because we'll need all the help we can get tonight.

I think a point would be a great result right now.

Kind of glad to see i'm not the only one fearing tonight a bit.

It's going to be a seriously tough game. I just hope the Blackburn loss didn't do too much to our confidence because we'll need all the help we can get tonight.

I think a point would be a great result right now.

I'm not confident either tbh and I expect to lose and would be happy if we can nick a point,it's a seriously tough test and one I'm not sure we can overcome even with our great start to the season so far,real shame about Tiote as well too,his physical presence would have made a huge impact for us tonight.