Sign in to follow this  
Dai

Official Newcastle United Thread

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread

Anyone else heard we are in talks with Zaha from Palace?

I haven't heard we're in talks but i've heard that we're still very much interested in him. There was rumours of a rejected £6-7m bid yesterday.

I've heard (from a decent source) that we're still deep in talks with Lyon over Aly Cissokho with the player himself even saying in the media that he's ready to fly over at a moments notice to bash out the paperwork.

I haven't heard we're in talks but i've heard that we're still very much interested in him. There was rumours of a rejected £6-7m bid yesterday.

I've heard (from a decent source) that we're still deep in talks with Lyon over Aly Cissokho with the player himself even saying in the media that he's ready to fly over at a moments notice to bash out the paperwork.

I read that if he was to leave France it would be for Juve.

I read that if he was to leave France it would be for Juve.

I haven't heard that one to be honest.

I know Arsenal are still interested. Cissokho has said himself he'd love to come here and in his words he said something along the lines of that he'd love to come here and he's ready to fly to England very quickly if he needs to. Obviously other clubs are in talks with Lyon but he'd love to play for Newcastle.

That was about a week ago though and its gone quiet since then but like i say i've heard that we are still in talks with Lyon.

This rejected Mariappa bid is a strange one though. I presume it's just cover for Taylor until the end of the season really.

Not strictly Newcastle-related but it is Sports Direct related.

For anyone who shops there, have people noticed a wide variety of obscure football kits being sold at Sports Direct? I live in Preston and at the Deepdale store they have the big sides like Man U, Liverpool, City, Newcastle etc, they have the local sides like Bolton and Blackburn, and they have the European big names like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich. But then they also have the home Olympiakos shirt, the home and away 1 FC Koln shirts, the Senegalese, Tunisian, Slovenian and Northern Irish national kits, and most peculiar, the home, away and third kit of French Ligue 2 side RC Lens! Just wanted to know if it's just a regional thing or not.

For anyone who shops there' date=' have people noticed a wide variety of obscure football kits being sold at Sports Direct? I live in Preston and at the Deepdale store they have the big sides like Man U, Liverpool, City, Newcastle etc, they have the local sides like Bolton and Blackburn, and they have the European big names like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich. But then they also have the home Olympiakos shirt, the home and away 1 FC Koln shirts, the Senegalese, Tunisian, Slovenian and Northern Irish national kits, and most peculiar, the home, away and third kit of French Ligue 2 side RC Lens! Just wanted to know if it's just a regional thing or not.[/quote']

That's the way Mike Ashley operates and to be honest it's not a regional thing,I could have brought a Schalke,Dortmund,Werder Bremen or OM away kit at my Birmingham store,and that's not the massive one which would be in town so that'd probably have even more kits,I'm not sure whether it's sport's direct but you can even buy other teams kits when you go into St James Park,I saw a Bordeaux kit in there and why you'd want to go up to the ground on Matchday and buy a Bordeaux kit is beyond me.

For anyone who shops there' date=' have people noticed a wide variety of obscure football kits being sold at Sports Direct? I live in Preston and at the Deepdale store they have the big sides like Man U, Liverpool, City, Newcastle etc, they have the local sides like Bolton and Blackburn, and they have the European big names like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich. But then they also have the home Olympiakos shirt, the home and away 1 FC Koln shirts, the Senegalese, Tunisian, Slovenian and Northern Irish national kits, and most peculiar, the home, away and third kit of French Ligue 2 side RC Lens! Just wanted to know if it's just a regional thing or not.[/quote']

Are they reduced or last season's?, On there website teams such as RC Lens, Bari, Numanic etc are all on there.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why is Norn Iron shirts obscure ^^

In Preston? Dont think there's a huge fanbase for Northern Ireland shirts here.

Could say that about selling English and scotish shirts over here. we are part of the uk

You be surprised what sells. I work for a largish clothing company and its not to much work to transfer stock round.

Could say that about selling English and scotish shirts over here. we are part of the uk

You be surprised what sells. I work for a largish clothing company and its not to much work to transfer stock round.

Ok, sorry if I offended you.

Not for long.

Ok' date=' sorry if I offended you.[/quote']

Not offended at all. The last world cup we got a pile of world cup shirts in don't think we sold one English one which surprised me as I know quite a few English supporters. Gods knows what people buy these days

Regarding Sports Direct, no idea. But in Newcastle/Adidas club store at the ground itself there are numerous random Adidas-made shirts. Completely random some of them. You'd imagine they'd sell say 20 or 25 of the top European clubs rather than a handful from here and a handful from there.

I cannot wait to see Cisse in the Premier League. Ba looked awful in the AFCON but i know he wasn't that fussed about going in the first place so fingers crossed he hasn't just lost his touch haha.

-----------------Krul----------------

Simpson----Colo------Taylor---Santon

-------------------------------------

Ben Arfa-----Cabaye---Tiote----Jonas

-------------------------------------

------------Cisse-----Ba-------------

:D:D:D

Looks like both the Swans and Newcastle have put in offers for Adrian Mariapa of Watford. He does seem to be very highly valued and it was reported that you had a £2 million offer turned down from Watford for him. There has been a few papers today that have said that we have bid higher than that figure for him.

I'm not too fussed whether we sign another player or not but would be pleased if we signed him. Steven Caulker is an exceptional defender but there's no chance we'll be seeing him after the end of the season and we will need to replace him and Mariappa could well be that man. Haven't seen an awful lot of him this season but he looked good when i've seen him previously and I think he's good enough to back up his price tag.

Newcastle will be looking at him as fairly cheap cover at the back. For the player himself he's more likely to get a run of games this season at Newcastle but in the long term when Caulker returns to Spurs and Steven Taylor returns from injury he's more likely to play regularly at the Swans. And whilst i'd be very suprised if we beat you to signing him we did beat Everton and Liverpool to signing Rory Donnelly as well as beating Aston Villa and Bolton to signing McEachran on loan.

Looks like both the Swans and Newcastle have put in offers for Adrian Mariapa of Watford. He does seem to be very highly valued and it was reported that you had a £2 million offer turned down from Watford for him. There has been a few papers today that have said that we have bid higher than that figure for him.

I'm not too fussed whether we sign another player or not but would be pleased if we signed him. Steven Caulker is an exceptional defender but there's no chance we'll be seeing him after the end of the season and we will need to replace him and Mariappa could well be that man. Haven't seen an awful lot of him this season but he looked good when i've seen him previously and I think he's good enough to back up his price tag.

Newcastle will be looking at him as fairly cheap cover at the back. For the player himself he's more likely to get a run of games this season at Newcastle but in the long term when Caulker returns to Spurs and Steven Taylor returns from injury he's more likely to play regularly at the Swans. And whilst i'd be very suprised if we beat you to signing him we did beat Everton and Liverpool to signing Rory Donnelly as well as beating Aston Villa and Bolton to signing McEachran on loan.

I hadn't heard your lot had put in a bid for him to be honest. Rumours that we've upped our offer today for him and the paper talk is saying Mariappa himself is ready to hand in a transfer request to force a move up here.

He'll only every be a squad player i'd imagine up here so it's probably in his interest not to come in all honesty lol. I haven't actually seen him play, i've heard of his name but never seen him play. He seems highly rated though and he's only 25 so wouldn't be a bad back up. Certainly better than Williamson or Perch.

Gratz on Rory I don't believe he will be good enough to make it in the premiership tbh.

Glad to see him go!! Cliftonville where looking unbeatable with him playing :D Good news for the Ports

I hadn't heard your lot had put in a bid for him to be honest. Rumours that we've upped our offer today for him and the paper talk is saying Mariappa himself is ready to hand in a transfer request to force a move up here.

He'll only every be a squad player i'd imagine up here so it's probably in his interest not to come in all honesty lol. I haven't actually seen him play' date=' i've heard of his name but never seen him play. He seems highly rated though and he's only 25 so wouldn't be a bad back up. Certainly better than Williamson or Perch.[/quote']

Yes, i'd say he'd be an improvement on Williamson and Perch for Newcastle.

Here's some of the website linking us to Mariappa, the last one linking Bolton to Mariappa as well (although they've just signed Tim Ream) and the first two saying that we'd need to spend £3.5 million to sign him.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/sport-columnists/black-white/swansea_set_to_steal_watford_defender_from_under_newcastle_s_nose_1_4188988

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/swansea-chasing-watford-defender/

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/1211379-bolton-wanderers-rival-newcastle-united-and-swansea-city-for-watford-defender-mariappa.html

Gratz on Rory I don't believe he will be good enough to make it in the premiership tbh.

Glad to see him go!! Cliftonville where looking unbeatable with him playing :D Good news for the Ports

Well he's got time on his side and is still only 19. He's currently been given plenty of reserve game time as his fitness does need to be improved as he makes the switch to becoming a full time professional football. He did manage to score a goal for the reserves in a 2-0 win against Neath as well. It is going to take time for him to get his chance but he will be given a chance, if he's impressed for the reserves then he'll have an outside chance of getting some game time tommorow in the FA cup away to Bolton.

Ba' date=' Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Papiss Cisse, Tiote, Krul, Santon and Taylor = £34.5m. £500.000 less than Liverpool paid Newcastle for Andy Carroll.[/quote']

Don't fall into despair, you still have got that £500k to find a striker as good as Carroll! :D

No, but seriously, that was one great deal, especially when you look at it that way. Toon was able to build a whole competitive EPL team with that Pool money, while Pool got the most expensive donkey of the history of football.

Anyone here that Zaha would be a done deal only for Palace wants a massive sell on clause?

I'd be happy if he joined us but if we buy Cisse and Zaha and don't bring in a centre back it'll have been a bad transfer window as far as I'm concerned,with the likes of Onouha available it'd dissapoint me if we didn't bring one in as that's by far our greatest weakness at this moment in time.

I'd be happy if he joined us but if we buy Cisse and Zaha and don't bring in a centre back it'll have been a bad transfer window as far as I'm concerned' date='with the likes of Onouha available it'd dissapoint me if we didn't bring one in as that's by far our greatest weakness at this moment in time.[/quote']

Supposedly Onouha's on ridicolous wages at QPR, something that wouldn't be a problem with Mariappa. But with Pardew stating before the window that a centre back was the priority i'd be suprised if you didn't sign a defender even if you have to wait until the last minute to do so.

Supposedly Onouha's on ridicolous wages at QPR' date=' something that wouldn't be a problem with Mariappa. But with Pardew stating before the window that a centre back was the priority i'd be suprised if you didn't sign a defender even if you have to wait until the last minute to do so.[/quote']

Maybe I have too much faith in footballers,but I think he might have taken reduced wages to cone to us instead of joining QPR instead,perhaps I'm wrong in that and he'd have moved anyway but who knows.

I'd like to think were going for Douglas who were apparentely interested in and has 6 months left on his contract and using Mariappa as a backup option and a smokescreen,I'd happily have Mariappa in instead of noone,but we generally tend to bid to other players to stop other clubs from demanding so much and hoping that it gets them to reduce our price as it makes it look like were looking at alternatives.

I just think we don't need Zaha regardless of the price he might be available for in this window,we've got Jonas,Marveaux who I think is supposed to come back shortly and we could always switch Ben Arfa if need be.

Were one injury away from struggling defensively all season long,so although I think there could be alternatives better than Mariappa I'd much rather have him than noone at all.