Official Newcastle United Thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly do not know where our points are going to come from, we need to pick up points desperately. Newcastle do not deserve to be where they are, no matter who you support yo can not say that Newc

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread northern rock are still continuing to sponsor newcastle?????? pretty sure adidas would have tried to keep newcastle as they've probably been a nice earner for them

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread I dont mind getting beat, you were the better side. But atleast buy a striker who can score some decent goals, like seriously

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread

We were right to have a bit of hope before this game today. The lads were so close to getting a result.

Some of the things I noticed. Mainly, Cabaye was very poor! We had a few set-pieces and against the better teams in the league, you need to make the most of the limited chances you're going to get. His delivery was shocking today. For the first time this season, I must say. Also, he attempted some impossible through balls when a simple pass would have been the better option to keep the ball. I don't mind one or two, but he tried it too often and with very poor execusion.

Another thing. We pumped the ball forward too many times. Kompany and Lescott were made to look brilliant today because they were on the end of every long ball. Its their strength fgs. That was very disappointing. I counted 14 times Krul was passed the ball and every time he lumped it forward, presenting City with the ball.

I'm not going to knock our effort as we were superb in that respect.

I think, that 200M more that they spent was the difference in the end. A little bit more quality!

I'm absolutely delighted that my Thursday nights are going to be important next season.

didn't hear from Cisse for most of the game..

He was against the best CB partnership in the League. Did we hear anything of Rooney the other night?

Sorry, other than moaning at the ref, THE WHOLE GAME or falling over getting people booked.

A good performance against 200 million quid's worth of talent to be honest.

We had the chances, just couldn't put them away.

It's a shame with Arsenal and Spurs slipping up though but hey, whatever happens next week, 5th place is a fantastic season and we're back in Europe where we wanted to be. Onwards and upwards.

I'm not being daft. The number of games' date=' the dismal opposition, the travelling, it cripples teams. It should be scrapped.[/quote']

The number of games is a bit excessive, the opposition is very decent and the travelling is to be expected with a European competition (it can be worse in the CL).

The number of games is a bit excessive' date=' the opposition is very decent and the travelling is to be expected with a European competition (it can be worse in the CL).[/quote']

A bit? They start the competition in July, for crying out loud. I'm suppose it'll be worth finishing 12th just for the privilege of playing Lokomotiv Mshceuhhcfn.

Always going to be tough against the best side in the country and at least we didn't crumble early on as I feared with how they were playing, quality opener from Toure the difference. ;)

Still, it's not over yet and if we can produce the win next week (would take an almighty effort I know :o) we could still sneak in there as Spurs could easily draw at home to an in-form Fulham and wouldn't be surprised at all for Arsenal to lose away at WBA for the Hodgson send off. ;)

Plus the back-up of Europa League either way. :)

A bit? They start the competition in July' date=' for crying out loud. I'm suppose it'll be worth finishing 12th just for the privilege of playing Lokomotiv Mshceuhhcfn.[/quote']

Cant wait till one of the teams from EL will kick Arsenal ass...can wait till they'll outplay you....

Don't delude yourselves' date=' the Europa League is a horrific competition. If Arsenal end up in it, i'm going in to hibernation.[/quote']

Thought I was reading posts from a United fan then.... Thats something a United fan would say anyway. Not an Arsenal fan.

It makes the season more interesting. Plus, no matter how pointless you think the competition is, you can attract better players through qualifying for it. (Saying that, we attracted Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse and Ba without being anywhere near any sort of European competition. :o) Hopefully we strengthen further and compete next season too.

No. Its just the sort of arrogant response you'd get from United fans' date=' not Arsenal fans. ;)[/quote']

It's not arrogant, it's the truth. It's a small club competition. I'd rather Arsenal competed in the Johnstone Paint Trophy thing.

The Europe League does not attract better players, it attracts players of similar quality to the ones Newcastle already have. The quality players want to play in the Champions League.

I'm not being daft. The number of games' date=' the dismal opposition, the travelling, it cripples teams. It should be scrapped.[/quote']

Submit a job offer to UEFA then and let them know how you feel... ;)

Seriously though, CL would be miles above expectations and years ahead of schedule which is always a good thing. However, with Europa looking more and more realistic, NUFC is a team that I can see making a run at the whole thing. Wouldn't it be brilliant if our first piece of silverware in 40-some years was the Europa trophy?

Hopefully I didn't just jinx anything..:o don't hate me guys!

If you go into the Europa league, you will be joined by......Swansea :eek:

Though, getting any European football will increase the chances of getting new players. But, these players may cost more than the bargains you got this year.

Saying that, cheaper players will want to come to you as they can display themselves on the European and Premier League Stage.

Therefore, should you have a big enough squad, I would say it can only be a positive :)

All this talk of the Europa League is a bit daft to be honest.

A competition full of 'dismal opposition' really? The same dismal opposition that embarrassed the two best clubs in England who were playing full strength teams lets not forget.

A competition that contained Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Sporting Lisbon, Tottenham, PSV, Dynamo Kiev, PSG, Ajax, Anderlecht, Man City, Man United, Porto, Schalke and a host of other decent teams.

Some of the teams in the Champions League group stages are worse than teams that competed in the Europa League - Basel, APOEL, BATE, Dinamo Zagreb, Genk, Olympiacos, Otelul, Plzen, Trabzonspor.

Of course the very best of the Champions League is head and shoulders above the best of the Europa League but its certainly not a competition to turn your nose up at.

As for the travelling, go and look at some of the teams that were in qualifying for the Champions League this year. Travelling is to be expected in European competition.

The only disadvantage is the very early qualifying rounds but if we finish 5th we are England's highest representative and only have to play one qualifying round before the group stage. That's the same as Arsenal if they finish in 3rd and have to qualify for the Champions League. It's hardly a big deal.

I'd rather take the extra games that comes with being in Europe then being stuck in mid-table mediocrity like we have for a few years... or as Liverpool are now :P