Official Newcastle United Thread

Dai

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread

He's joint 3rd top scorer in the Premier League at the moment. He's lightning quick' date=' can finish in the box, can round goalkeepers comfortably, he can head the ball. If we don't pay it, someone else will and i feel like we'll only regret letting him go.

De Jong hasn't done anything in 2 years. I'm skeptical but ready to be proved wrong.

Without Remy and Cabaye's goals this season we're nothing.

Grenier would be a great signing but i don't know if he has the bite that Cabaye has in the middle of the park.[/quote']

I know I can't doubt the stats with Remy but I just think he's totally gone off the boil since the start of December. He's got the typical (recent) striker syndrome at this club. Starting off fantastic then only average performances after that. I would love him to make me eat these words come the end of the season after he fires us into a 5th (lol), 6th (lol) or 7th placed finish but I can't see it.

Never mind if we don't get Remy, if we lose Cabaye we'll go into free-fall. Simple as.

Grenier doesn't have the bite, you're right. Cabaye is a pittbull! Sticks his feet in everywhere and really busts a gut for the team. Grenier would just add a bit of spark that we'd need going forward, but Ben Arfa could add that.

I know I can't doubt the stats with Remy but I just think he's totally gone off the boil since the start of December. He's got the typical (recent) striker syndrome at this club. Starting off fantastic then only average performances after that. I would love him to make me eat these words come the end of the season after he fires us into a 5th (lol)' date=' 6th (lol) or 7th placed finish but I can't see it.

Never mind if we don't get Remy, if we lose Cabaye we'll go into free-fall. Simple as.

Grenier doesn't have the bite, you're right. Cabaye is a pittbull! Sticks his feet in everywhere and really busts a gut for the team. Grenier would just add a bit of spark that we'd need going forward, but Ben Arfa could add that.[/quote']

Lets play devils advocate here for a second.

If (and i hope he doesn't) Cabaye leaves and we don't sign anyone, can Vurnon Anita step up and replace him? I heard some people having this debate on Twitter with mixed answers.

We have Sissoko who is a different kind of engine in the middle who can also score and assist but Anita is probably the most like Cabaye.

I personally feel he's a lot better than some fans give him credit for. De Boer said he was "one of the best players to come through Ajax's academy in a decade". He's brilliant in possession and can pick out a pass. I don't think he'll ever score as many as Cabaye though.

In terms of Anita replacing Cabaye? Absolutely not , Dosent have the star quality to do that :) But Anita could help supplement Cabayes departure in terms of his defensive qualitys having said that I dont like Anita all that much.

Grenier is a fantastic player with brilliant attacking qualities , Can take free kicks and I believe he is a better attacking option than Cabaye but dosent know how to defend :P But all in all Grenier would be a massive coup for Newcastle. Im a massive fan of his :)

Well that's that then.

Newcastle agree deal in principle with PSG for Yohan Cabaye. Fee significantly higher than original 14m offer.

We'll never find out how much he went for. I bet you it'll be bluddy undisclosed and the club will see zero of it.

Yeah it is on Sky Sports News' date=' gutted to be honest, but when Pardew came out and said he thought it would be difficult to keep hold of him the writing was on the wall. Just glad he never went to Man Utd, which despite murmurings (which I had also heard before Christmas) it was never going to happen when PSG expressed there interest.

I really do hope Ashley does not rest on his laurels and rubs in hands with glee instead of pumping the cash (and then some) back into the club. I think the problem with us buying Remy is we will refuse to match the wages he is on at Q.P.R, and De Jong is not the answer. So it is 4 days of nail biting and hoping we get in the players we need to maintain our push for a top 7 finish, which I fear will not happen if we do not reinvest and quickly.[/font']

I'll miss the dreamy little bugger. :(

I know he'll find it hard in a horrible city like Paris and he'll struggle playing behind awful footballers like Ibrahimovic and Cavani after being used to the delights of Shola. :(

In all seriousness though, all the best to the lad. He's the best player we've had at Newcastle since Shearer. I might just have to invest in a PSG shirt with Cabaye on the back. :rolleyes:

I have a Toon shirt with Cabaye on the back. It will now go on the wall of my spare room along with loads of other favorite players of mine.

Completely gutted even though we saw it coming. Why, oh why wait so late in the window though?! Only other amount I've seen mentioned on fan groups on facebook or things put on twitter is £15.5m, surely not!

Just read a tweet from Cabella's Dad that he's due to fly to England on Thursday... Won't make losing Cabaye feel any better tbh.

I'll miss the dreamy little bugger. :(

I know he'll find it hard in a horrible city like Paris and he'll struggle playing behind awful footballers like Ibrahimovic and Cavani after being used to the delights of Shola. :(

In all seriousness though' date=' all the best to the lad. He's the best player we've had at Newcastle since Shearer. I might just have to invest in a PSG shirt with Cabaye on the back. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Sacrebleu! You may jest but for me it is the best way to pay homage to a class act, I may well now pay more attention to French football.

I have a Toon shirt with Cabaye on the back. It will now go on the wall of my spare room along with loads of other favorite players of mine.

Completely gutted even though we saw it coming. Why' date=' oh why wait so late in the window though?! Only other amount I've seen mentioned on fan groups on facebook or things put on twitter is £15.5m, surely not!

Just read a tweet from Cabella's Dad that he's due to fly to England on Thursday... Won't make losing Cabaye feel any better tbh.[/quote']

Well 1.5m is not "significantly more" like what is being said on sky sports news. Sadly I doubt we will ever find out.

Idiots. I lose more and more faith with this club with every passing day.

If you were an arsenal fan you would get shot down by JCAFC for that comment.

Didn't you get cabaye for like 4M? I was wondering why the hell wenger wasn't hovering around him then for that sort of deal!

If you were an arsenal fan you would get shot down by JCAFC for that comment.

Didn't you get cabaye for like 4M? I was wondering why the hell wenger wasn't hovering around him then for that sort of deal!

Yeah 4.6m. Still a huge loss to us' date=' as we have nobody who can fill the void left by his imminent departure. I disagree with Dom and agree with Guerilla that Anita can play there, however not with the same effectiveness to that of Cabaye due to his ability at free kicks and scoring goals, which is not really Anita's forte. The problem then is you are then looking to plug the whole left alongside Tiote when we adopt 4-2-3-1 like we have of late.

In somewhat of a quandary now, we always leave dealing late and I feel it will be a case of one out one in. I do not envisage us bringing in a whole host of players like the previous January window, and not only do we have the void to fill with Cabaye leaving but we still have the issues to address at CB and up front.

[/font']

Nooooo. One of my favorite players in the Premier League (despite his dirty side) and certainly your best player. Gutted to see him leave for a team which will probably play him every 2 games. Absolutely gutted. I genuinely feel bad for you, I would have been happier if he came to Arsenal. I hope you invest some of that money.

The local journalists are reporting that the fee is the 25m that we wanted.

I say 'reporting' but there's no official word yet and i suspect we probably won't find out.

I reckon they'll probably move Sissoko in field and put Ben Arfa back out on the wing. Perhaps that's why they haven't pulled the trigger and let Ben Arfa go because they knew this was coming.

Krul, Debuchy, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon, Tiote, Anita, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gouffran and Remy still isn't a bad 11. It's just lacking that beautiful little Frenchman though! :(

Good luck Cabaye. From the start you where honest you wanted to come to the premiership and prove yourself a top player which you did and got your reward with a huge move to PSG. Heard the transfer fee is a good bit over 20m euros so the papers are prob right in saying 19m£

At lest he din't go to Liverpool!!

As for Anita. If he was giving the same role as Cabaye he will score goals but he wont be given the freedom Cabaye had. We play with 2 DM and Sissoko behind the strikers.

Remy is only out for himself and am starting to dislike him. You can tell by his all round play which is pretty poor.

Am going to miss the goal threat from anywhere over the halfway line :( Like a certain French winger we had who could shoot from anywhere aka robert

Was hoping to wake up this morning to discover the Cabaye saga was just one big nightmare. Nah' date=' no such luck. :P:([/quote']

maybe he fail his medical?????:eek:

Obviously. He's a striker. And not a very good one :o. Certainly not better than what you have at the moment. Does this mean you won't get Remy permanently ? :(

Remy has said he wants champions league football. Hes only using newcastle to advertise himself. You can tell that by how he plays.

Quite frankly whilst I'd like to wish Cabaye the best of luck at PSG I don't think I'm as bothered as most people that his going,were getting more than a fair value for him IMO at £20 Million,we'll have six months to get used to playing without him and not be anywhere near a relegation scrap and we can hopefully use the money on a striker,I see we've got De Jong on loan but I've never rated him and doubt he'll be any good but you never know.

Although to be honest maybe I'm still bitter,but I'm glad his going because he refused to wear the shirt six months ago which is the worst thing you can do as a professional footballer IMO,it also annoyed me because at the time I felt he done nothing to warrant a move and yet he kicked up a fuss,now I'm more than happy to admit on this seasons form he deserves his move to PSG.

We've also got three very good midfielders in Sissoko,Anita and Tiote which will still dominate most teams in the league,I'd like to see Sissoko have a free rein to get forward now which he had when he first arrived to the club,I've always rated Bigirimana as well and I'll hope he will get more of a look in now until the end of the season.

Overall with the money involved and the timing of the deal it makes the most sense to me to sell him now than at any other time.

No other news on Cabella right now. I suspect we'll have to wait until the summer. I just cannot see them getting a deal done in 3 days knowing what a tool Nicollin is.

With De Jong I'm happy to be proved wrong but i just don't see why we're signing him. He's not exactly prolific and has done nothing in two and a bit years.

I hope Marveaux and Bigirimana finally get a few games under their belts now. Bigi has bags of talent and looked good in some games we played with him last season but he's just been faded out with us having a better season.

No other news on Cabella right now. I suspect we'll have to wait until the summer. I just cannot see them getting a deal done in 3 days knowing what a tool Nicollin is.

With De Jong I'm happy to be proved wrong but i just don't see why we're signing him. He's not exactly prolific and has done nothing in two and a bit years.

I hope Marveaux and Bigirimana finally get a few games under their belts now. Bigi has bags of talent and looked good in some games we played with him last season but he's just been faded out with us having a better season.

Totally agree, Bigi is a great young player and will only get better with game-time. Not sure what happened with Marveaux, he must have been injured or something because he's got bags of ability, not as good as Ben Arfa maybe but he does have the work rate so its strange he's been missing for so long.

I hope De Jong starts firing like he did before he moved to Germany.

Totally agree' date=' Bigi is a great young player and will only get better with game-time. Not sure what happened with Marveaux, he must have been injured or something because he's got bags of ability, not as good as Ben Arfa maybe but he does have the work rate so its strange he's been missing for so long.

I hope De Jong starts firing like he did before he moved to Germany.[/quote']

Yeah, i think everyone has been the same with Marveaux - No one quite knows what happened. It seems to be a running joke on the fanzine's on Twitter if anyone has found Sylvain yet? Lol.

I've seen him pull out some brilliant passes in the games he's played for us and at times, whilst not looking as direct as Ben Arfa, he certainly seems to possess similar technical ability.