Official Newcastle United Thread

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread

Extremely sad news from an already horrifying tragedy :(

Two Newcastle United fans travelling to the club's pre-season tour are believed to have been among those on board a flight that crashed in Ukraine.

John Alder, thought to be in his 60s, and Liam Sweeney, 28, were on the passenger list for flight MH17, Malaysian Airlines confirmed.

The Boeing 777 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur crashed on Thursday with 298 people on board.

Newcastle United and manager Alan Pardew have paid tribute to the fans.

Mr Adler and Mr Sweeney were travelling to New Zealand to see their team play.

RIP to all the passengers.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly do not know where our points are going to come from, we need to pick up points desperately. Newcastle do not deserve to be where they are, no matter who you support yo can not say that Newc

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread northern rock are still continuing to sponsor newcastle?????? pretty sure adidas would have tried to keep newcastle as they've probably been a nice earner for them

Re: Official Newcastle Utd thread I dont mind getting beat, you were the better side. But atleast buy a striker who can score some decent goals, like seriously

Anyone in here that can offer some insight regarding Rolando Aarons?

Look decent against Sydney FC.

I will be honest I have never seen him play a great deal but what I have seen he is direct' date=' a player not afraid to take people on and can play down both flanks. We took him on trial a few years back and he has continued to impress and work his way through the ranks and was on the periphery of the first team squad last season. If he keeps on improving the likelihood is he will get a squad number for the first team this season.

I couldn't watch the game as I was at work but I would have liked to see how Armstrong, Vuckic, Abeid and Campbell did. Meant to be our brightest talents but Vuckic just does not seem to be progressing as expected.[/font']

Krul

Janmaat Williamson Colo Santon

Tiote Anita

Gouffran de Jong Cabella

Riviere

will this be the expected line up for Newcastle this season?

I am looking at Janmaat and Riviere for my fantasy squad.

I would imagine Sissoko would get the nod over Gouffran' date=' that looks the likeliest of Centre half pairings unless we (hopefully) bring in someone. Pardew could even drop Anita play Sissoko in there (which would be completely idiotic but this is Pardew) to accommodate Gouffran.

However the side you chose would be close to the team that will face City but I feel Sissoko in for Gouffran is more likely.[/font']

I will be honest I have never seen him play a great deal but what I have seen he is direct' date=' a player not afraid to take people on and can play down both flanks. We took him on trial a few years back and he has continued to impress and work his way through the ranks and was on the periphery of the first team squad last season. If he keeps on improving the likelihood is he will get a squad number for the first team this season.[/font']
Yeah, he kinda remind me of Sterling. In fact that is why I asked about him. I think if you can give him odd games this season, it would help him a lot.
I couldn't watch the game as I was at work but I would have liked to see how Armstrong, Vuckic, Abeid and Campbell did. Meant to be our brightest talents but Vuckic just does not seem to be progressing as expected.
I didn't really pay attention to those players, but I can tell you Vuckic didn't have the best game (from he come on until I switch the channel, at least). Watch mainly to see how you setup and to watch your new players.

Other player that really impressed me is Haidara. He should comfortably start in expense of injured (?) Santon.

• 2 weeks later...

Ain't posted on here in ages :P,first of all RIP to Liam Sweeney and John Alder,it's people like them that make Newcastle what it is in the first place,they'll be sorely missed.

Now onto team matters,first of all what a superb transfer window we've had so far,I'd be really happy with it if Ferrerya comes in,I've always liked Riviere since his Toulouse days and at the start of the last season with Monaco he was superb,sure he went of the boil but there's enough talent there to suggest his £5 Million price tag is more than justified.

I'm also extremely happy that we've got in an experienced creative player in De Jong,we need a more steady attacking influence as most of our attacking players all seem flair players who either seem to be superb or flatter to decieve,yet to completely contradict myself that's what excites me about Cabella,his definitely the player I've been most excited about us signing since Cabaye,just such a beautiful player to watch who I think is starting to his peak as a footballer,it might take him a while to adjust to the strength of the game but once he does he could be a player who his sold on for massive money (I know that's a negative mindset but it's bound to happen.)

I'm not really bothered about Colback and I can see him been a rotation player sooner than later,I've liked the look of Perez but it's only pre season and I can't imagine he'll play that much anyway,and of course what I think is the best bit for last,I've got no idea why Arsenal wanted Debuchy and why they paid £12 Million for him,his not been the player I thought he'd be when we signed him after EURO 2012,I certainly don't think he was someone I thought we'd get £12 million for before the window started so I was very happy with that deal,I also liked the look of Janmaat in the world cup and his done well at Feyenoord but we'll see how it goes yet.

This is what kind of annoys me about Ashley yet I admire at the same time,I'm pretty sure we'll finish top ten again now this season and yet he won't have spent a penny of money in terms of transfer fees for the best part of three years,considering we made a profit of £9.9 Million before the extra TV money kicked in how much money will he be making now?.

I can't see us signing anyone after Ferrerya and I definitely hope we don't sign Remy and I think Ferrerya has ended any possibility of that happening,We'll try and sell Ben Arfa before the window's out and we might get a crazy bid for someone before the transfer window's out and replace them but I think were pretty much done,credit to Lee Charnley our new Managing Director as his certainly done his job quickly and effectively in this window.

I hope we line up with this team against Man City

Krul

Janmaat Colo Yanga Haidara

Tiote Sissoko

Cabella De Jong Gouffran

Riviere

I'm certainly looking forward to the new season :).

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you guys may have deserved something today. Played very well and you should be looking at a fairly comfortable top half finish.

Yeah I felt we deserved something out of the game. The difference between the two sides was Dzeko and Aguero. We certainly missed a Remy type in front of goal. Strikers need to hit the ground running and I hope they can chip in with goals sooner rather than later before it becomes an issue.

I thought Newcastle huffed and puffed today' date='tried very hard,but lacked that something.Cabella looked decent,Riviere a little wild.De Jong would improve things.[/quote']

Huffed and puffed? We were in the ascendency for large spells, the issue is having nobody making them runs beyond Riviere and trying to bust a gut to get into the box. We were poor in the final third and our crosses were woeful made even more infuriating at the fact we don't have someone who can get on the end of things.

De Jong will most definitely help build that gap between the midfield and the striker which should bring a little more cohesion to proceedings.

What little I have seen of Perez he seems more of a direct forward with an eye for goal which is what we need, however whether he is good enough only time will tell.

Huffed and puffed? We were in the ascendency for large spells' date=' the issue is having nobody making them runs beyond Riviere and trying to bust a gut to get into the box. We were poor in the final third and our crosses were woeful made even more infuriating at the fact we don't have someone who can get on the end of things.

De Jong will most definitely help build that gap between the midfield and the striker which should bring a little more cohesion to proceedings. [/font']

Well thats what I mean,ye weren't creating real chances,and City could defend fairly comfortably.

Perez and that young guy on the wing looked interesting when they came on.

Well thats what I mean' date='ye weren't creating real chances,and City could defend fairly comfortably.

Perez and that young guy on the wing looked interesting when they came on.[/quote']

Rolando Aarons is being likened to how Sterling was a few seasons back. He has the talent, is very direct and pacy. He will get more game time as the season progresses and is one to watch, just a bit raw at present but can definitely be an impact sub this season, I have high hopes for the lad.

Rolando Aarons is being likened to how Sterling was a few seasons back. He has the talent' date=' is very direct and pacy. He will get more game time as the season progresses and is one to watch, just a bit raw at present but can definitely be an impact sub. [/font']

Whats the story with Steven Taylor? Should he be a starter? I know he has had injuries.. Is Mbiwa injured?

Whats the story with Steven Taylor? Should he be a starter? I know he has had injuries.. Is Mbiwa injured?

Taylor is out of favour' date=' far to injury prone and very error prone. 3 or 4 years ago he really seemed to be fulfilling his promise and was on the periphery of the England squad and even your Chelsea were allegedly interested but he got injured and it has ben a downward spiral since.

If bids were made for Taylor we would try and move him on but he has stated he wants to stay and fight for his place, pointless since he can't stay fit. As for Mbiwa he is frustrating. For every good game he has it is followed by a handful of poor games. I remember Coloccini being much the same so not sure if it is a case of a crisis of confidence since he has never had a sustained run in the side. We just do not have the quality at CB and we should have tried harder to bring Lascelles in from the onset instead of shipping him back on loan.

Three Centre backs (whilst shipping out the dead wood) another holding midfielder and a CF short of being a side that could potentially challenge for a Europa League place.[/font']

Missed the first sixty minutes but was pleased with the half an hour I did get to watch,Perez and Aarons look like they can cause people problems at this level and hopefully there two squad players Pardew will actually use as he does have a habit of freezing people out of the side.

Still happy with the performance,can tell Cabella has a bit of class to him as well,just got more intelligence than anyone else on the pitch for us today,once he gets to full fitness I'm sure he'll be fantastic for us,overall a game against Man City is always going to be tough and we were missing De Jong and Tiote which will be a big plus next week for when they come back for Villa,first game I'll be going to in a while so I can't wait for it :D.

Don't think you lot played all that bad today. The team did look tired and sluggish, as expected being the start of the season, Or, depending on how you look at it you could say a team should be fully fit being the start of the season.

Capella has definitely got class to him no doubt a good signing for Newscatle. At the end City getting the 3 points was always going to happen.

If you lot finish 8th or 9th that would ideal for you guys.

Started watching on the 30minute mark.

Don't think you lot played all that bad today. The team did look tired and sluggish' date=' as expected being the start of the season, Or, depending on how you look at it you could say a team should be fully fit being the start of the season.

Capella has definitely got class to him no doubt a good signing for Newscatle. At the end City getting the 3 points was always going to happen.

If you lot finish 8th or 9th that would ideal for you guys.[/i']

Started watching on the 30minute mark.

Capella?

i0cjGVpKLd4

• 1 month later...

Re: Official Newcastle United Thread

I would say you lot are in desperate need of a change. I can only think of Moyes to be the one to carry you lot out of this mess you are in ATM.

Moyes didn't work out for United, due to the club being so big and the amount of pressure he was under to succeed Sir Alex. I think Newcastle would the be the perfect club for Moyes to resume his career.

A smaller club, with less pressure and perhaps even smaller expectations.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say you lot are in desperate need of a change. I can only think of Moyes to be the one to carry you lot out of this mess you are in ATM.

Moyes didn't work out for United' date=' due to the club being so big and the amount of pressure he was under to succeed Sir Alex. I think Newcastle would the be the perfect club for Moyes to resume his career.

A smaller club, with less pressure and perhaps even smaller expectations. [/i']

The expectations are not small though, we are (very much like you) the eternal optimists. We have a chairman who won't back the club with huge funds and is more interested in turning the club into a profitable business and a marketing tool for Sports direct.

Moyes is not the answer either, far from it. We need a manager who has experience at getting clubs out of the mire and the man for me is Tony Pulis but he would never join as he would face the same issues he had at Palace.

You really no very little about my club, the fans expect success but know it is not going to happen under the current regime and the pressure for a manager to succeed under the current restraints is immense.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the greatest half of football but that finish by Perez was simply superb. His movement to drag Dawson over and then the flick was extremely intelligent forward play.

Just feel he would benefit playing off a forward in 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. Colback again has looked steady and I like the Colo, Dummett pairing at the back though it is no coincidence we have looked steadier at the back when Taylor has been in but typically he is injured again.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record we are 3 or 4 quality players away from being a top 8 side. We seem to be able to win games while not looking great but W.B.A and Liverpool before that have been no great shakes either but that is also down to us being a difficult unit to break down recently.