What is offside?

Toro De Líbano

Lately, and especially this season, the offside rule has become extremely complex.

This is how I understand it:

At the moment the ball is played, the player on the same team who is recieving the ball must have at least 2 defenders in front of him, else he is deemed "offside"

But now referees talk about inactivity and distractions which seems to put teams, and fans alike, into perplexedness.

So, what is your opinion of the offside rule?

I just put mine up there.

Re: What is offside?

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

* he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

* he is in his own half of the field of play

* he is level with the second last opponent

* he is level with the last two opponents

Commiting an Offside Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

* interfering with play

* interfering with an opponent

* gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

* a goal kick

* a throw-in

* a corner kick

Infringements/Sanctions

For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

Offside trap success - Fig. 1 This is offside because the red number 10 is in front of all of the defenders, leaving only the goalkeeper back which isn't enough players to play him onside. This position may have been forced by the defenders moving forward in what is called the offside trap.

Offside trap fail - Fig. 2 Here we can see that the blue number 3 defender has fail to move up the field with rest of his defence and played the red number 9 onside. This is a classic example of where the offside trap fails

Why the offside rule exists - Fig. 3 The offside rule exists to stop goal hanging, where a player stands next to the opposing teams goal keeper in the hope that someone can get the ball to him (probably using a long ball), so he can get it past the goal keeper. Which would make for a very boring game.

Two players needed - Fig. 4 The red number 9 isn't beyond the blue 4 defender but is offside because the goal keeper isn't back. This is one of those rare occasions where goal keeper is out of the goal (e.g. last minute of F.A. Cup final on a corner kick) and can't get back in time but if the attacking team play the ball as they normally would, then it would be offside because the offside rule requires two defenders to be in front the attacker and the goal keeper usually counts as a defender.

Linesman gets it wrong - Fig. 5 Why are linesmen (assistant referees) always calling offside when it isn't? Well believe it or not its not really their fault (unless the decision goes against you or your team), it's all to do with angles and line of sight. In the picture the purple line represents the linesman's line of sight which as you can see is at a slight angle, this line should be parallel with the goal line. So even though the red number 10 is being played onside by the blue defender it will be called offside. This is unfortunate but does happen from time to time

theres the offside rule for you lol:p

Offside is also a very popular member of this here forum. :)

yeah mate very good mate

John Freil first joined this soccer forum on sep 2007 by the name Jinky7.

He was an instant hit on the forum' date=' becauseof his nice atittude and ability to speak two languages- English and French.

He set the record, getting 3 rep bars, in one month, and becoming the first member to do that too.

He made a very popular setup called pe sul american a bola....something:o and it went on to become a very prestigiuos setup becasue of the GM prize at the end of the season.

His team, San Lorenzo, went on to sign great players like Messi.

They won all their friendlies that season, but finished a woeful 7th in the league, losing to some of the teams he beat in frienslies.

He quickly hit the 1000 post mark, and never looked back, going on to reach a total of 6 rep points and countiing

He has given a number of people GMs including Luke, me and the Rosario Central manager

He manages Porto in gc 8, and has led them to 7 straight wins in the league,

He is generally a cool guy with a carefree attitude with the former names of Jinky, Centurion and Offside, and gained a few rep points for his popular sig-All I want is for my results to be out before 11 pm or I will shoot![/center']

yeah mate very good mate

John Freil first joined this soccer forum on sep 2007 by the name Jinky7.

He was an instant hit on the forum' date=' becauseof his nice atittude and ability to speak two languages- English and French.

He set the record, getting 3 rep bars, in one month, and becoming the first member to do that too.

He made a very popular setup called pe sul american a bola....something:o and it went on to become a very prestigiuos setup becasue of the GM prize at the end of the season.

His team, San Lorenzo, went on to sign great players like Messi.

They won all their friendlies that season, but finished a woeful 7th in the league, losing to some of the teams he beat in frienslies.

He quickly hit the 1000 post mark, and never looked back, going on to reach a total of 6 rep points and countiing

He has given a number of people GMs including Luke, me and the Rosario Central manager

He manages Porto in gc 8, and has led them to 7 straight wins in the league,

He is generally a cool guy with a carefree attitude with the former names of Jinky, Centurion and Offside, and gained a few rep points for his popular sig-All I want is for my results to be out before 11 pm or I will shoot![/center']

Thats a long post about one person Austin, do you perv over him? :D

I think you have become a forum first Austin' date=' the first forumer to be the stalker of another forumer :D[/quote']

lol, i really dont know how i knew all that info about him, the human mind is amazing.

well I joined before John and all so thats probably the reason why I knew so much about him.

I also know all the avatars he's had lol

Ben Reado joined the forum in Dec 2007, and looked like the kind of guy who came on to post about a bug then left an nver came back.

We were all wrong though

Ben Read made some unpopular threads like Christian Lell (with poll), guess who, and the div 1 challenge, but he wasnt about to give up.

When he had a rep power of 1 and a gm, he made a thread about which gm was the best one to join, and shortly after that, made a succesful article on the blog and forum on how to be succesful in gold champs.

He went on to clinch a Bayern team which went on an unbeaten record for 10 games, conceding none in the first 7, defeating teams such as Lyon 4 - 0 away from home.

Although his Bayern were ruling outside, they were banging big against teams such as barca, juve, roma and united, perhaps proving that he was too good for his league, but mediocre in avearge.

Bayern went on to reach the semifinals of the cup, beating Chelsea 1 - 0 away from home, but they needed a sub in the form of Ribery to kill off Betis in the quarter finals.

Having secured his post as a regular, a bit better than average forumer, he went on to create a setup called David n Goliath, a setup which generated a lot of interest due to the partnership idea.

His Inter won their first game against atletico 2 - 0,then defeated Chelsea 3 - 0 away from home, after reals slip up, the title is at his mercy.

Ben has a broither called tom, who joined on the forum as reatom, and on the game was theo walcott, who kept botherng my Bayern for loan deals for Rubery.

Ben read said that tom could not set tactics to save his life and that tom stole a talent from him as well.

Ben has grown to be a respected forumer with an average of about 8 posts per day, and will get 4 rep bars if he makes about 119 posts more.

Ben Reado joined the forum in Dec 2007' date=' and looked like the kind of guy who came on to post about a bug then left an nver came back.

We were all wrong though

Ben Read made some unpopular threads like Christian Lell (with poll), guess who, and the div 1 challenge, but he wasnt about to give up.

When he had a rep power of 1 and a gm, he made a thread about which gm was the best one to join, and shortly after that, made a succesful article on the blog and forum on how to be succesful in gold champs.

He went on to clinch a Bayern team which went on an unbeaten record for 10 games, conceding none in the first 7, defeating teams such as Lyon 4 - 0 away from home.

Although his Bayern were ruling outside, they were banging big against teams such as barca, juve, roma and united, perhaps proving that he was too good for his league, but mediocre in avearge.

Bayern went on to reach the semifinals of the cup, beating Chelsea 1 - 0 away from home, but they needed a sub in the form of Ribery to kill off Betis in the quarter finals.

Having secured his post as a regular, a bit better than average forumer, he went on to create a setup called David n Goliath, a setup which generated a lot of interest due to the partnership idea.

His Inter won their first game against atletico 2 - 0,then defeated Chelsea 3 - 0 away from home, after reals slip up, the title is at his mercy.

Ben has a broither called tom, who joined on the forum as reatom, and on the game was theo walcott, who kept botherng my Bayern for loan deals for Rubery.

Ben read said that tom could not set tactics to save his life and that tom stole a talent from him as well.

Ben has grown to be a respected forumer with an average of about 8 posts per day, and will get 4 rep bars if he makes about 119 posts more.[/center']

very good knowledge, I'm surprised you know all that tbh,

however, my average post a day are 12.5 not 8, but other than that very good.

and btw, if my brother annoys you again, tell him i will ban him from my setup Muhaha:D :D *evil laughs*

It's just a bit of harmless fun people, don't get ya knickers in a twist :P

Austin answered the Offside rule, And I think that his post was spot on...

The question is answered and this is just fun....

No need for the angry faces :P

Here's one Austin, do me!!:D

Euurrghhh, sounds wrong... DO ME!!:P:D;):rolleyes:

It's just a bit of harmless fun people' date=' don't get ya knickers in a twist :P

Austin answered the Offside rule, And I think that his post was spot on...

The question is answered and this is just fun....

No need for the angry faces :P

Here's one Austin, do me!!:D

Euurrghhh, sounds wrong... DO ME!!:P:D;):rolleyes:[/quote']

sorry mate, you joined a month before me, so I cant lol.

I think I could do Welshman or Kevin if you like lol:p

People actually do pay attention here? oh oh' date=' im in trouble then.[/quote']

why mate, hope its not because you live in New York and are known to be a biased Juve fan and made a thread called Juventus 5 fab ratings Shame on you Sm and have actually never been to the del alpi and you got a guy called vidoq22 banned for a trivial reason and he called you a mule but the thread was later reopened by Neller?

Hope its non of that mate:p

Guest melbguy1

why mate' date=' hope its not because you live in New York and are known to be a biased Juve fan and made a thread called Juventus 5 fab ratings Shame on you Sm and have actually never been to the del alpi and you got a guy called vidoq22 banned for a trivial reason and he called you a mule but the thread was later reopened by Neller?

Hope its non of that mate:p[/quote']

haha, your missing heaps, but good effort :) but never have had anything to do with getting people banned. And that thread was closed and opened by the same moderator.

haha' date=' your missing heaps, but good effort :) but never have had anything to do with getting people banned. And that thread was closed and opened by the same moderator.[/quote']

yes you did.vidoq22 called you a mule and got banned, then his post was edited so there you go.

Also, I wasnt doing a leentghy post on you so thats why i'm omited stuff.:)