What has happened to Brondby?

What has happened? The once dominant force in Denmark has had a fall from grace. So much so that they currently languish 8th out of 12 teams in the Superliga. Last season they only managed 6th. The team for whom greats like the Laudrup brothers, Peter Schmeichel, Lars Olsen and Bent Christensen (as well as a whole host of other Danish Internationals) donned the famous yellow jerseys and blue shorts are failing to live up to their previous glories. Famous defeats of Liverpool in the UEFA Cup and Bayern in the Champions League are amongst their greatest achievements in Europe which include a semi-final appearance in the UEFA cup and a Quarter-final appearance in the CL.

A succession of managers who have not lasted long may be partly to blame. As may some of the wranglings of the board which recently prevented Peter Schmeichel from buying the club. Certainly somethimg is seriously wrong and for the first time in many years this once great Scandinavian club is under serious threat of relegation

• 1 month later...

Re: What has happened to Brondby?

What has happened? The once dominant force in Denmark has had a fall from grace. So much so that they currently languish 8th out of 12 teams in the Superliga. Last season they only managed 6th. The team for whom greats like the Laudrup brothers' date=' Peter Schmeichel, Lars Olsen and Bent Christensen (as well as a whole host of other Danish Internationals) donned the famous yellow jerseys and blue shorts are failing to live up to their previous glories. Famous defeats of Liverpool in the UEFA Cup and Bayern in the Champions League are amongst their greatest achievements in Europe which include a semi-final appearance in the UEFA cup and a Quarter-final appearance in the CL.

A succession of managers who have not lasted long may be partly to blame. As may some of the wranglings of the board which recently prevented Peter Schmeichel from buying the club. Certainly somethimg is seriously wrong and for the first time in many years this once great Scandinavian club is under serious threat of relegation[/quote']

Another great thread Smartdoc :)

I was actually thinking this a few weeks back when I was remembering the Champions League game on PS1. I used to be Brondby alot as I liked their kit and it was the easiest game in the world and so I never needed to be anyone good.

Its a shame to hear they are faceing these trouble and puzzleing that they turned down Peter Schmeichel's bid to buy the club. Who in any right mind would turn down an ex world legend that your own side started off with.

I hope to see them back in Europe soon though and hopefully with the help of Schmeichel's cash :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

They shouldnt use Williams more. He is a good prospect, but not a player with the quality to be a starter just yet.

Don't know what the reason for Brøndby's bad performance is, but i believe it must be something with their leading board, or what its called.

Firstly, their many changes of managers arent good for a team at all, and that may have caused a lot of frustration among the squad. And second of all, Per Bjerregaard was leading to many things before he realised it and cut down all his tasks to only one. That must clearly have had an impact on the team.

As a FC København fan, i wouldnt be sorry if they relegated, but i actually miss the special so called "New Firm" matches between the two. Lets have Brøndby as a good team back, and bring on the fantastic New Firms!

Club Brugge Are Another Team Used To Be The Team To Beat In Belgium Anderlecht take that now

Does that have something to do with Brøndby?

It's a totally different subject.

You are talking about a team that used to lose, we are talking about a team that used to win.

They shouldnt use Williams more. He is a good prospect' date=' but not a player with the quality to be a starter just yet.

Don't know what the reason for Brøndby's bad performance is, but i believe it must be something with their leading board, or what its called.

Firstly, their many changes of managers arent good for a team at all, and that may have caused a lot of frustration among the squad. And second of all, Per Bjerregaard was leading to many things before he realised it and cut down all his tasks to only one. That must clearly have had an impact on the team.

As a FC København fan, i wouldnt be sorry if they relegated, but i actually miss the special so called "New Firm" matches between the two. Lets have Brøndby as a good team back, and bring on the fantastic New Firms![/quote']

Interesting views. I have to agree. I notice that Kobenhavn also had a mediocre season this year despite the presence of big name players such as Gronkjaer, Laursen, Ailton, Sionko and Gravgaard (as well as some exciting talents). Almost as if they were showing some sympathy for their big rival's plight. The two dominated the Superliga between 00/01 and 05/06, always finishing top two in the table with perhaps 03/04 being the highlight with only a point separating them :) . I feel the two spur each other on and perhaps Kobenhavn have missed their usual rivalry this season and as a result their form has suffered. Let's hope 'normal service is resumed next season and the two get back to where they belong :)