• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 1 Division Two - Season Preview We're in for a real treat this year in what must be one of the most competitive divisions on SM. Here we will look at each team and predict

Re: English Championship 1 Welcome all you soccer fans and managers in EC1 to Herby’s end of season round up of what has been yet another fascinating season in the original and first ever setup on SM

Re: English Championship 1 Hope i'm not stepping on any toes but I used to like reading the division 1 review and since it seems to have stopped I thought i'd do it this season (especially as it look

Posted Images

This weekend's matches in EC 1 ....

This could be a short write up with several Forumers playing each other this turn. :eek:

In Div 1, Nav takes his struggling Middelsbrough team to top of the table Bolton. Dave and his boys will do their best to notch up another win as they look to further extend their lead over Chelsea and the chasing pack. Boro will find it difficult to get anything out of this match, as the Reebock Stadium is quite the fortress. Nevertheless, if new star recruit Esteban Cambiasso can supply the creative touches in midfield for Dirk Kuijt and Obafemi Martins to convert into goals then Bolton could have a game on their hands. Still, this football expert predicts that Bolton at home will be a little too strong and should claim all three points with the likes of Sorin, Ze Roberto and Crespo likely to make the difference. Herby predicts Bolton - Boro 2:1

In Div 2, Ryan's Southampton take on Tranmere Rovers at home. This should be a pretty one sided affair with the Saints having too much depth and class for the visitors who currently sit 2nd from bottom. Despite the fact that Tranmere held Ryan's troops to a 2:2 draw when the teams met at Prenton Park back in June, Southampton has since been in fine form and good management and quality new additions to the squad has made them strong contenders to win the division. Players to watch are Boudewijn Zenden for the visitors and Nico Kovac as well as Guti should once again be the driving force for Ryan in the centre of the park. Herby predicts a landslide victory and a Southampton - Tranmere Rovers 4:0 thrashing.

Teb's Fulham side who had a slight hiccup last week when they were spanked 4:2 at home by visiting Stoke City, which also ended a very imressive run of 7 wins on the trot. This week sees Steve's team travel to the City Ground where they'll take on Nottingham Forest who currently sit in 18th and are facing relegation. So with a lot at stake for both teams aspirations, this could be a tight battle most probably won in midfield. Nottingham have lost their last 2 games and will be desperate to avoid the hattrick of losses, however with Teb fielding stars such as on-loan Shaun Wright-Phillips as well as Mark Gonzales and Djibril Cisse he looks set to notch up another win and remain in the race for promotion and maybe even the Div 2 crown. Herby predicts a confortable away win, Notts Forest - Fulham 1:3

In Div 3, Leamington Steve's might Wolves are also looking to bounce back after their shock loss to 2nd placed Northampton Town last week. They are at home this turn and should be way too strong for the hapless midtable bound Swansea at the Molineux. Eventhough Steve will have to do without the still suspended Gaizka Mendieta in midfield, he has the experienced Romario and Christian Vieri upfront and therefore Steve's men look set to make this win number 18 of the season. Herby predicts another win for the Steve, Wolves - Swansea 3:0

And last but never least we come to Div 4.

Alan's unpredictable Bristol side are at home to Oxford, who should not be underestimated as they managed to slay top of the table Swindon Town only 2 turns ago. Nevertheless, Alan has his boys brimming with confidence at the moment as they hope to make it 2 wins on the trot. Players to watch in this contest are Oxford's star CB Paraskevas Antzas and the slow ageing brazilian evergreen, Sonny Anderson. Alan will place his hope in the boots of Vincent Pericard and Blaise Matuidi, hoping they can compensate for him being without 3 key and highly rated midfielders all missing through injury or suspension. Those absences could make the difference as Bristol, who are currently 14th, may lack the firepower to match Oxford unless Alan can use superior tactics to outwitt his opposite number. Herby predicts a close game and hence is going for a draw. Bristol - Oxford 2:2

And finally, Perry's Southend travel to the Country Ground to face my Swindon Town outfit. Southend are 10th placed, and despite a poor run of results recently, Perry commands a strong squad of young talent and experienced campaigners and could well cause an upset. Swindon bounced back in emphatic fashion last week by smashing Hartlepool by scoring 7 in a one sided rout. Plenty of players to watch in this battle royale with Perry hoping his german triumpherate of Alexander Meier, Sergio Peter and Benjamin Kohler can mastermind what would be a famous victory. Herby will hope that his strikers continue to score as freely as did last week, and much of the pressure will rest on the shoulders of Calderon, Verheyen and Vaz Tez. In any case this fixture should produce some goals, therefore I'm predicting a high scoring game. Swindon - Southend 4:2

Good luck to everyone, hope you enjoyed my BOLD predictions and punts at guessing the score. Hope I'm right at least in a few instances (ie Swindon's result! lol). :P;)

ec1 review

This could be a short write up with several Forumers playing each other this turn. :eek:

In Div 1' date=' Nav takes his struggling Middelsbrough team to top of the table Bolton. Dave and his boys will do their best to notch up another win as they look to further extend their lead over Chelsea and the chasing pack. Boro will find it difficult to get anything out of this match, as the Reebock Stadium is quite the fortress. Nevertheless, if new star recruit Esteban Cambiasso can supply the creative touches in midfield for Dirk Kuijt and Obafemi Martins to convert into goals then Bolton could have a game on their hands. Still, this football expert predicts that Bolton at home will be a little too strong and should claim all three points with the likes of Sorin, Ze Roberto and Crespo likely to make the difference. Herby predicts [b']Bolton - Boro 2:1[/b]

In Div 2, Ryan's Southampton take on Tranmere Rovers at home. This should be a pretty one sided affair with the Saints having too much depth and class for the visitors who currently sit 2nd from bottom. Despite the fact that Tranmere held Ryan's troops to a 2:2 draw when the teams met at Prenton Park back in June, Southampton has since been in fine form and good management and quality new additions to the squad has made them strong contenders to win the division. Players to watch are Boudewijn Zenden for the visitors and Nico Kovac as well as Guti should once again be the driving force for Ryan in the centre of the park. Herby predicts a landslide victory and a Southampton - Tranmere Rovers 4:0 thrashing.

Teb's Fulham side who had a slight hiccup last week when they were spanked 4:2 at home by visiting Stoke City, which also ended a very imressive run of 7 wins on the trot. This week sees Steve's team travel to the City Ground where they'll take on Nottingham Forest who currently sit in 18th and are facing relegation. So with a lot at stake for both teams aspirations, this could be a tight battle most probably won in midfield. Nottingham have lost their last 2 games and will be desperate to avoid the hattrick of losses, however with Teb fielding stars such as on-loan Shaun Wright-Phillips as well as Mark Gonzales and Djibril Cisse he looks set to notch up another win and remain in the race for promotion and maybe even the Div 2 crown. Herby predicts a confortable away win, Notts Forest - Fulham 1:3

In Div 3, Leamington Steve's might Wolves are also looking to bounce back after their shock loss to 2nd placed Northampton Town last week. They are at home this turn and should be way too strong for the hapless midtable bound Swansea at the Molineux. Eventhough Steve will have to do without the still suspended Gaizka Mendieta in midfield, he has the experienced Romario and Christian Vieri upfront and therefore Steve's men look set to make this win number 18 of the season. Herby predicts another win for the Steve, Wolves - Swansea 3:0

And last but never least we come to Div 4.

Alan's unpredictable Bristol side are at home to Oxford, who should not be underestimated as they managed to slay top of the table Swindon Town only 2 turns ago. Nevertheless, Alan has his boys brimming with confidence at the moment as they hope to make it 2 wins on the trot. Players to watch in this contest are Oxford's star CB Paraskevas Antzas and the slow ageing brazilian evergreen, Sonny Anderson. Alan will place his hope in the boots of Vincent Pericard and Blaise Matuidi, hoping they can compensate for him being without 3 key and highly rated midfielders all missing through injury or suspension. Those absences could make the difference as Bristol, who are currently 14th, may lack the firepower to match Oxford unless Alan can use superior tactics to outwitt his opposite number. Herby predicts a close game and hence is going for a draw. Bristol - Oxford 2:2

And finally, Perry's Southend travel to the Country Ground to face my Swindon Town outfit. Southend are 10th placed, and despite a poor run of results recently, Perry commands a strong squad of young talent and experienced campaigners and could well cause an upset. Swindon bounced back in emphatic fashion last week by smashing Hartlepool by scoring 7 in a one sided rout. Plenty of players to watch in this battle royale with Perry hoping his german triumpherate of Alexander Meier, Sergio Peter and Benjamin Kohler can mastermind what would be a famous victory. Herby will hope that his strikers continue to score as freely as did last week, and much of the pressure will rest on the shoulders of Calderon, Verheyen and Vaz Tez. In any case this fixture should produce some goals, therefore I'm predicting a high scoring game. Swindon - Southend 4:2

Good luck to everyone, hope you enjoyed my BOLD predictions and punts at guessing the score. Hope I'm right at least in a few instances (ie Swindon's result! lol). :P;)

Dont you fret none your predictions will be the first on my agenda. ;)

Great preview anyway.

Hey guys i am Boston United in EC1 and i am am in 5 mil debt (was like this when i got them)' date=' so if u guys could help out and buy some players that would be great.[/quote']

We forgot about oobee007!!! :eek::(

Sorry mate, we'll include you next time. As for cash ... ummmm I ain't got none either. Try moneybags Teb or Leamington Steve :P

Herby

EC1 ROUNDUP [DIV1]

Well with Herby having his first prediction correct,Winning team as well as correct score he might of thought he was going to do pretty well, but im afraid the rest of the predictions came unstuck with the first being the only one right.Mind you though he did predict 4-2 result between him and Perry but it wasnt in his favour going the other way 2-4 . :)

DIV 1.

Bolton 2. Middlesborough 1.

[4312] [442]

With this being only Navs second game in charge and still proberbly settling in after a poor Home defeat last game he must have been fearing the worst having to come so soon to face Daves high flying leaders.

But with D.KUIJT hitting the post after only 2 minutes it must have settled his nerves a bit evenmore so when as early as the 19th min F.CANNAVARO headed a brilliant goal in from the left flank and if not for Boltons goalie J.JAASKELAINEN clearing of the line a minute later Daves team could have been out of it.Anyway the save gave the leaders the jolt they needed because 5mins later A snapshot by Andriy VORONIN on the edge of the D flies just over and to serve as the warning finishes neatly inside the box just 2 minutes later.

But after just getting the Equaliser, Dave seemed to be going mental in the dug out 2 min later when he saw A.DIAGNE-FAYE get the red card for head butting a Boro player for no reason.For the rest of the half there was a couple of chances eitherway but the red card seemed to have an effect on both sides with heavy tackling [ Messi ]getting the brunt of them.

Well whatever Dave and Navs team talk was at half time didnt have an effect on the football side because up to the 80th minute the game was full of continous rough tackles especially by Bolton and with Messi still as the main target.To prove the point having no yellow cards in the first half for both sides 2 were handed out to the Leaders players [Cristian ZACCARDO for gamesmanship and Tal BEN HAIM for a bad tackle and for Boro Emanuel POGATETZ for stupidly kicking the ball away.But it was a shame because in between there had been chances on both sides and clearer heads could have seen somebody take the lead.But it must be Nav that is cursing now because with POGATETZ kicking the ball away from the resulting possesion Bolton got the winner a minute later through SCHWEINSTEIGER (81).A couple more missed chances for both sides meant the final score of 2-1 to the leaders.

But with Boro having more shots on goal and 3 times as many shots on target Nav should be quite happy ,the only downside Messi will be out for 2 games after the rough bashing he recieved.

As for Daves team it shows they have got bite and are not going to be knocked of top spot easily. ;)

EC1 ROUND UP [DIV 2]

DIV 2.

Southampton 1.- 1.Tranmere.

[3412] [442].

Ryan will not be pleased with this result tonight against 2nd to bottom Tranmere,He will class this as 2 points lost being the homeside and also now on top of the Division only by Goal diff.

There was chances for both sides at the beginning but the Saints had the home crowd going wild as early as the 15th with a right foot curling shot from outside the area by Juan PENA.It glided just inside the far post.

But not long after that A disgraceful tackle by GUTI results in a straight red card for the Homeside ,with this it gave the lower club more incentive and started to pressure the leaders more,and in the 35th minute it resulted in the equaliser from Massimo BONANNI with a non to happy Ryan throwing his team orders From the Dugout, but it remained the same when both teams went in at half time.

Well both teams in the second half had there chances with one shot by the Saints hitting top of the bar and fine saves from both keepers keeping each team at bay,But with Tranmere having the extra player just as it looked as if it would reap its rewards there player Adrian SARKISSIAN is sent off after head butting an opponent![Must be catching]. :D

So with both teams now even with 10 men the game drizzeled out to a 1-1 stalemate.But with only one win in last 6 Ryan cant be to happy.

Nottingham Forest 1 - 0 Fulham .

[442] [442]

As the result shows this was a very close contested game with both keepers doing well ,The home team at the end of the game only had 2% more possesion than Tebs lively Fulham outfit who had more shots on goal and on target, but in the end slack marking cost Teb what would of been a good point when in the 72min Jonathan JOHANSSON found himself in yards of space and got the only goal of the game. :mad:

EC [DIV3]

Wolves 3 - 3 Swansea City .

[4312] [442]

Well this might not have been the result Leamington Steve wanted but for the neutral it was a great game to watch.As early as the 4th minute Nicola Caccia sent the welsh fans into a frenzy.

Then only a minute later Joachim BJORKLUND shouts verbal abuse to the ref as he kicks the ball away in disgust and gets hiself sent off.

Well the leaders to give them full credit made full use of it and by the 30th minute had not only levelled but had taken the lead with a brace from Carlo NERVO (20) and(29th)minute.And that remained for the rest of half.

Well Leamington Steve must have been slapping his lads on the back in the dressing room, but in the first minute of the second half he must have wanted to slap his goalies face because a serious error let the 10 man Swans back into the game with an easy equaliser from Paul BOSVELT .

Well that gave Swansea new life and they gave as good as they got and shocked the home crowd by taking the lead again in the 72 minute by Jaime RIVEROS .

But within 2 minutes it was 3-3 when Christian VIERI was given to much space by the out manned welsh team and crashed a shot into the net.

Try as they might they could not get it back and Wolves nearly got the winner in the last minute with a shot by ROMARIO inches wide.

But with no wins in there last 3 outings Leamington Steve needs to return to winning ways. :)

ec [div4]

BRISTOL ROVERS 1 - 3 Oxford United

[3412] [442]

Well not a very happy chappie here i must admit.Herby called it right with his preview that i could find it hard going with 3 of my most influentual midfielders out,and that was the case.Totally over run and outclassed by a very good looking Oxford team.I can see why they gave his Swindon a game but for me my lads were outplayed.[NOTHING TO DO WITH MY GAME PLAN]lol. :D

Swindon Town 2 - 4 Southend United

[3412] [352]

Or as we know Herby v Perry.

With Southend loosing there last 4 games, Perry must have fetched his squad fearing the worst.But tonight it must be Herby thats thinking of jumping of the end of Southend pier.Because against all odds Perry got the result of the 4th division with a great 4-2 away win.

The home team took only 6 minutes to take the lead but with Herby playing a very attacking style ,Southend looked very dangerous from their odd counter attack.Which proved so lethal when in the 14 and 17th minutes the away team scored twice when R.CER saved but failed to hold the ball both times.Swindon still carried on with there V.attacking style and again got caught out with a goal from (WLODARCZYK ).Perry must have been a very delighted manager going in with the score 3-1 at halve time.

Well Herby must have given a rasping talk because the top table team came out all guns blazing but still could not penetrate Southends defence with good saves from D.FLAHAVAN as well as some poor finishing from the home side.So it is no suprise to see on the break Southend further increase with a sensational goal from Gijs LUIRINK but within 2 min Julio ARCA pulled one back.

But for all there attacking the leaders could not get any more.

With Shots On Target favouring the Home side 17-9 and only getting 2 goals Herby will need to give his team some more shooting practise.

;)

Yeah Dave, pity that was it!

Oh well, had a go .... better luck next time.

Just 2 quick congrats .... Alan, superb job mate. I really enjoyed your yarn, that's exatly how I saw it too. :P

Secondly, well done to Perry. About time you had a win, just wish it hadn't been against my team. lol

Oh well, still 8 pints clear in Div 4 so not all is lost.

Was Dave's Bolton & Perry's Southend the only winners this week then??? :eek:

C'mon forumers, let's pick up our act.

Herby

EDIT: Boston won too. :D

We forgot about oobee007!!! :eek::(

Sorry mate' date=' we'll include you next time. As for cash ... ummmm I ain't got none either. Try moneybags Teb or Leamington Steve :P

Herby[/quote']

me with money?! fulham are spiralling into debt!!

good review as always Neller, i was robbed. :D

If anyone can help me with a loan of a decent GK (86 rated or above) i would appreciate it as am leaking goals!! Or a decent striker as with cisse out very short in this area (86 + again!!)

English Sheild Quarter Final

Manchester City - Charlton

Plymouth Argyle - Middlesbrough

Reading - Leicester City

Tottenham Hotspur - Liverpool

Firstly may a say best of luck to Nav against Plymouth, in his teams recent visit to The Reebok his boy's gave my team a real battle!

My predictions;

City to beat The Addicks 1-0, Boro to beat Plymouth 3-1, Reading will loose to Leicester 3-0 and Liverpool will beat Spurs on penalties.

mfcbwfc07110401.jpg

Latest just in!

Rotherham sign new manager

Rotherham United have aquired the services of former Derby County manager Kevin Garrity.

On behalf of EC1 would like to welcome Kevin back to the set up.

Dave :)

Thank you Dave.Rotherham are going to prove a real challenge.I look forward to it.

']Wolves 3 - 3 Swansea City .

[4312] [442]

Well this might not have been the result Leamington Steve wanted but for the neutral it was a great game to watch.As early as the 4th minute Nicola Caccia sent the welsh fans into a frenzy.

Then only a minute later Joachim BJORKLUND shouts verbal abuse to the ref as he kicks the ball away in disgust and gets hiself sent off.

Well the leaders to give them full credit made full use of it and by the 30th minute had not only levelled but had taken the lead with a brace from Carlo NERVO (20) and(29th)minute.And that remained for the rest of half.

Well Leamington Steve must have been slapping his lads on the back in the dressing room' date=' but in the first minute of the second half he must have wanted to slap his goalies face because a serious error let the 10 man Swans back into the game with an easy equaliser from Paul BOSVELT .

Well that gave Swansea new life and they gave as good as they got and shocked the home crowd by taking the lead again in the 72 minute by Jaime RIVEROS .

But within 2 minutes it was 3-3 when Christian VIERI was given to much space by the out manned welsh team and crashed a shot into the net.

Try as they might they could not get it back and Wolves nearly got the winner in the last minute with a shot by ROMARIO inches wide.

But with no wins in there last 3 outings Leamington Steve needs to return to winning ways. :)[/quote']

great read neller, i really dont know whats happened at the molineux, maybe to confident as we soared ahead but no wins in three the pack are closing in and i may find it difficult remaining on top of my perch.