• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 1 Division Two - Season Preview We're in for a real treat this year in what must be one of the most competitive divisions on SM. Here we will look at each team and predict

Re: English Championship 1 Welcome all you soccer fans and managers in EC1 to Herby’s end of season round up of what has been yet another fascinating season in the original and first ever setup on SM

Re: English Championship 1 Hope i'm not stepping on any toes but I used to like reading the division 1 review and since it seems to have stopped I thought i'd do it this season (especially as it look

Posted Images

Re: English Championship 1

Have an advantage how?

I would have thought the 91 rated side has the advantage as they are rated 5 higher than my measly 86.

I am sure your 115 youth players and 30 first team players will cope without a few additions. ;)

From experience teams rated lower in ec-1 have generally done better won the cups with youth teams myself included and i feel the same goes for friendlies.

And as for not answering messages I could say the same but i never got a chat message from you but i have messaged you with no reply.

Diego Rolan Becomes Hammers 3rd Signing

West Ham have landed 19-year-old Diego Rolan from Peterborough United for an undisclosed fee, with the Uruguyuan arriving in London today for a medical.

The attacking midfielder is held in high regards by Caleb and is the third player to arrive at the club this season, after Lucas Ocampos and Andy Polo. West Ham have been investing in South America it seems, with all three of their new additions hailing from the continent so far.

Carlisle kicked off the new season with a fine performance against Leeds United @ Brunton Park racking up 3 goals 2 of which were from unlikely scorers in G.SCHENNIKOV and J.AURTENEXTE whilst on loan M.DESTRO was also on the scoresheet on his debut for the Blues.

Hope i'm not stepping on any toes but I used to like reading the division 1 review and since it seems to have stopped I thought i'd do it this season (especially as it looks like just 1 season again for me)! Tell me if it's not wanted though as I won't be offended!

Round 1

Carlisle 3-0 Leeds

Great result for John's young superstars against Leeds megastar attacking players. The perfect start for Carlisle came in minute 1 when Georgi Schennikov raced onto Lacazette's pass before slotting home. Destro doubled the lead before half time and second half sub Aurtenetxe sealed a rout just before the hour. Game was fairly even statistically but Carlisle's greater possession proved the key.

Arsenal 3-2 West Ham

Adam's fine Arsenal side gave the newly promoted young pretenders a much more comprehensive beating than the scoreline suggests. Goetze gave West Ham the lead against the run of play but Kroos equalised just on the stroke of half time. Young Andy Polo then scored immediately in the second half to put the Hammers back ahead only for Dzeko to equalise again. Polo then saw a second yellow swiftly followed by red for a tackle on Cabaye and this proved costly as Cabaya picked himself up and went on to get an 85th minute winner. Adam will be frustrated that 32 shots were only converted into 3 goals but Caleb won't be too down given his surprise team selection.

Darlington 2-1 Sheffield United

In the shock result of the round newly promoted Darlington saw off defending champions Sheffield United at the Darlington arena. Castro gave Sam Cutting the perfect start in division 1 with a 5th minute goal only to see goalscorer extraordinaire Falcao equalise straight from the kick off. It stayed that way until 5 mins from time when Dejan Lovren popped up to score a screamer and a worthy winner. Stats will tell you Sheffield had the better of the game but i'm sure Herby will expect better from his squad in the weeks to come. Sam will be and should be delighted.

Hull 0-1 Liverpool

Rooney gets a first half winner in a quiet game at the KC. 2 evenly matched sides cancelled each other out in a very quiet game. I'm sure David will be over the moon to get 3 points in a tough fixture but Chilli has no need for disappointment as he will be up there for sure this year!

Man Utd 3-1 Tottenham

Shels' scum beat Tony's scum at Old Trafford! James Rodriguez opened the scoring for united before Mario Gomez equalised shortly after so 1-1 at the break. An ingenius 60th minute triple substitution led to 2 goals in 6 mins from Rodriguez again and Sami Khedira. A solid start from Shels who will expect to challenge but Spurs and Tony will hope for better days.

Fulham 1-2 Blackburn

Two very solid teams with european ambitions were evenly matched but Blackburn will be delighted with the 3 points. Essien opened the coring for Teb's Fulham on 3 mins but Rovers hit back through Song on 11 mins. On 31 mins Vertonghen brought down Gervinho in the box but was not booked so obviously Negredo scored and that's how things stayed.

Chesterfield 1-1 Rushden

The only draw of the round was hard fought and fair! Francois and Chris will both be happy I expect after Kuyt and Affellay got their respective goals in the second half. Very even game from 2 teams that are likely to be in the bottom half of the table at the end of the season.

Chelsea 0-3 Boston

The coupon buster of the round with the home banker going to pot! Apathetic game really with a mere 11 shots in total but 2 of those from Matty Etherington and another from Diego Souza went into Chelsea's net giving Johan a greeat 3-0 mauling of Stevie's underperforming blues.

Bradford 0-1 Reading

Ronaldo's second half strike was enough to earn Teje the points against Kuldeep. Teje will be hoping this is just the start of a title push while Kuldeep will be thinking it's saw old, same old as he misses out on another even game.

Peterborough 6-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Malcolm welcomes me back to division 1 with a severe kick up the bum! Peterborough were totally dominant as the scoreline suggests but Wednesday did momentarily take the lead before it all went wrong. Bentner's opener was brutally punished by goals from Marchisio (2), Gabi, Arshavin (2) and Chiquarito. Stunning performance from Malcolm side putting him top after round 1 and back to the drawing board for me!

Manager of the Week = Mister Malcolm (Peterborough)

Team of the week

1. Rui Patricio (Carlisle)

2. Dejan Lovren (Darlington)

3. Gerard Pique (Reading)

4. Joel Matip (Carlisle)

5. Yohan Cabaye (Arsenal)

6. Claudio Marchisio (Peterborough)

7. James Rodriguez (Man Utd)

8. Alex Song (Blackburn)

9. Wayne Rooney (Liverpool)

10. Cristiano Ronaldo (Reading)

11. Matty Etherington (Boston)

From experience teams rated lower in ec-1 have generally done better won the cups with youth teams myself included and i feel the same goes for friendlies.

And as for not answering messages I could say the same but i never got a chat message from you but i have messaged you with no reply.

I do not know what you mean by the bolded part?

I have not mentioned anything regarding not answering messages or chat messages because I have not tried contacting you' date=' so not a clue what you are waffling on about there.[/color']

I do not know what you mean by the bolded part?

I have not mentioned anything regarding not answering messages or chat messages because I have not tried contacting you' date=' so not a clue what you are waffling on about there.[/color']

If you read the thread it's perfectly clear. John doesn't make it very clear in his post though, it was not directed at you it was directed and subsequently answered by Herby. Your very defensive aren't you?;):)

Great match reports for D1.

A may as well photograph the table as it won't last!.

Strangely I normally start badly and then my largish squad helps me overcome stamina concerns at other slightly better sides.

However as I lost Marchetti as shoe it 90 in the next increases to a concern transfer I doubt I will maintain good form. Caballero's very generous increase was welcome.

If you read the thread it's perfectly clear. John doesn't make it very clear in his post though' date=' it was not directed at you it was directed and subsequently answered by Herby. Your very defensive aren't you?;):)[/quote']

No not defensive at all, as you have stated it was not clear so easy mistake to make.

As for reading the thread, come on mate please. I have far more pressing matters than scrolling through this thread (or of every set-up I am in) to find the answer to a point I was not aware was directed at me.

Maybe if I went to a farmers field, through a needle in a haystack and then subsequently searched for it I would have more success, than deciphering a post which was to me yet not aimed at me! :rolleyes:

Edit: I tend to just read the posts that are in reply to mine, though I guess I should change that considering I have now contradicted myself and read this page and since noticed who the second part of the post was aimed at.

Many apologies.

the usual vacancy check

All clubs currently managed.

Huddersfield Town - Last log in 20 days

QPR - 19 days

Middlesbrough and Bristol City - 18 days

No not defensive at all' date=' as you have stated it was not clear so easy mistake to make.

As for reading the thread, come on mate please. I have far more pressing matters than scrolling through this thread (or of every set-up I am in) to find the answer to a point I was not aware was directed at me.

Maybe if I went to a farmers field, through a needle in a haystack and then subsequently searched for it I would have more success, than deciphering a post which was to me yet not aimed at me! :rolleyes:

.[/color']

I thought you said you werent defensive? :D

Good work John.

There are now 2 Teams of the Week. :)

I like John's fancy graphics :D but I have noticed that somehow Boston's M. Etherington has disappeared from Leigh's team posted a couple of days ago, replaced by none other than Carlisle's J. Aurtunexte.

I'm sure it was just an oversight, simple mistake to make really, dare I say a typo!! pmsl :P:eek::rolleyes::)

How's this lads.

I'll do the preview for D1 every week.

Bunder will do the review

and Germ can do his TOTW

That should brighten things up a bit in here. B)

Unfortunately I won't have time to do a preview for all divisions but that shouldn't stop anyone from doing one for the others. *hint* *hint*

Herby

I like John's fancy graphics :D but I have noticed that somehow Boston's M. Etherington has disappeared from Leigh's team posted a couple of days ago' date=' replaced by none other than Carlisle's J. Aurtunexte.

I'm sure it was just an oversight, simple mistake to make really, dare I say a typo!! pmsl :P:eek::rolleyes::)

How's this lads.

I'll do the preview for D1 every week.

Bunder will do the review

and Germ can do his TOTW

That should brighten things up a bit in here. B)

Unfortunately I won't have time to do a preview for all divisions but that shouldn't stop anyone from doing one for the others. *hint* *hint*

Herby[/quote']

Twas a case of not being able to fit anyone from Leighs totw at lb and remembered Aurtenexte took motm at mine and i tried to stick to his totw as much as possible.

Round 2

Leeds 4-2 Arsenal

A meeting of 2 top sides at Elland Road ended in a highing scoring but tightly fought home win. Leeds took the lead through Martin Skrtel's ambitious effort in the 1st minute but Arsenal soon rallied and goals from Robben and Dzeko meant they went in at the break with the lead. The second half started just as the first did with Martin Skrtel scoring another screamer from distance and then a late penalty from Fabregas and a Van Der Vaart goal sees Leeds take the points. A very tight game which I am sure Jose Diaz will be delighted to win. Arsenal mirroring real life......can score but can't defend!

West ham 4-2 Darlington

No messing about this week from Caleb as all his star names were on show and they duly delivered sending the fellow newly promoted Quakers home with nothing! Balotelli did give Darlington the lead but West Ham's young stars soon came good scoring 4 unanswered goals through Lamela, Eriksen, Sanchez and Hazard before Ben Arfa got a late consolationbut only after Derdiyok got his marching orders for a second yellow. Home fans at the Boelyn will go home delighted and will be salivating at the array of talent their manager has put together! Caleb will do well not to challenge this season!

Sheffield United 0-2 Hull

The champions returned home for week 2 looking to put their first points on the board but it seems this bubble has well and truly burst. De Jong and Yaya Toure gave Hull a well deserved victory. Chilli will be delighted to register his first win of the season and even more so since it was in such a tough game against one of his likely challengers. Herby will be fuming........enough said!

Liverpool 2-1 Man United

Liverpool just march on and on in EC1, David Stephenson is the most successful manager in the setup and nights like tonight show why. It was a very tight game with neither team at their best but Liverpool's 100% shots on target ratio proved to be crucial. Rooney gave them the lead shortly after half time only for Huntelaar to equalise but a late Gerrard strike was enough to see Liverpool to max points this season.

Tottenham 1-2 Fulham

Fulham were outstanding and will be disappointed the game appears so tight from the scoreline, they battered Spurs from start to finish and fully deserved all 3 points. Joaquin gave Spurs a surprise lead in the 8th minute that they held onto for an hour but incessant pressure paid off when 1st Rolfes then Lennon goals in a 7 minute burst sealed Teb's first win of the season.

Blackburn 0-2 Chesterfield

Fans at Ewood were treated to the most dismal home performance in years! Blackburn were dire and Chesterfield had a stroll in the park then drove home with 3 points in the bag! Bonucci and Matuidi with a goal in each half sealed Chesterfields first and likely easiest win of the season. I'm sure Ian will be looking for his side to improve massively.

Rushden 0-1 Chelsea

A pretty good game at Nene Park was decided by Sven Bender who scored from the spot on 50 minutes after a poor challenge from Rosales on Lavezzi. Rushden fought hard to get back into the game but when Affellay was sent off for an elbow on Torres it was a bridge to far and Chelsea professionally saw the game out.

Boston 4-3 Bradford

Game of the week came from York street where now top of the table Boston won it by the odd goal in 7. Yilmaz and Willian shared a brace a piece before half time entertaining home and away fans for a 2-2 scoreline at the break. Amalfitano scored just after the hour to give Boston the lead again only to see Corluka equalise for a third time for Bradford. League top scorer Matthew Etherington got a 4th for bradford and this time it was enough for a win and the table's summit!

Reading 1-0 Peterborough

An extremely tight game at the Madejski stadium was decided by a single Sergio Busquets goal on 66 minutes. Reading are one of only 3 teams to have maximum points at with the squad Teje has at his disposal he must be a heavy favourite to win honours this season. The Pique injury will be a concern to him but i'm sure he'll cope...:rolleyes:;):)

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Carlisle

Home fans didn't exactly flock to Hillsborough after Saturdays drubbing since a crowd of only 23462 turned up but those who did will have been delighted to see Wednesday get their first win of the season. Jeremain Lens got the only goal of the game as the tactical changes made certainly paid dividends with Wednesday looking a much more solid unit. John may rue having made changes after winning so comfortably in round 1 but i'm sure this won't bother him or his team too much in the long run. Wednesday may well be extremely thankful for these 3 points though....time will tell.

Manager of the Week

Tough decision but this week it goes to Chilli - a great win at Brammall Lane cannot be underestimated.

I await John's team of the week.

Round 3

West Ham 2-1 Leeds

Another battle of star-studded teams which was ruined by a moment of petulance from Samir Nasri. Fabregas gave Leeds a flying start in the 5th minute but just 3 minutes later Nasri aimed his elbow at Eden Hazard and got his marching orders. West Ham took full advantage, dominating possession for the rest of the game and 1st half goals from Sakho and Hazard sealed a 2nd successive win from the hammers.

Sheffield United 2-2 Arsenal

2 of the longest servants on the game went head to head at Brammall lane. Herby Mohr vs Adam Johnson ended all square and stats would suggest rightly so. Herby will be pleased to at least get off the mark for the season points wise but will be wanting more from his side. Baines and Aguero grabbed the blades goals but Dzeko and Kroos grabbed a share of the spoils for Adam who I suspect will be content with his start.

Liverpool 3-1 Darlington

Liverpool continue to prove just why they are there every year, they are currently the only team with a 100% record. Their Man Utd like EC1 reputation continues and they should be written off only at your own peril. Lucho Gonzalez opened up for the reds and the prolific Rooney doubled the advantage. Andy Carroll got one back for Darlington but Rooney pooped up again to seal the win and move to the top of the goalscoring charts.

Tottenham 3-1 Hull

Surprise win at White Hart Lane for Spurs which I am certain Tony will be delighted with. Chilli's side might read like a who's who of world stars but after Higuain opened the scoring for them they went to pieces. Anderson equalised almost immediately and then a Carlos Tevez double gave Spurs their first points of the season. An injury a piece to star strikers Gomez and Higuain will be frustrating, particularly for Tony who loses the big German for 6 weeks!!!

Blackburn 0-4 Man Utd

Rovers need to find someone to stick the ball in the net as 18 shots no goals at home will always leave the fans annoyed at full time. United were ruthless and took full advantage of their far superior possession by making goals for James Rodriguez, Thiago Alcantara and a brace for Huntelaar. United head back down the M62 with a huge smile on their faces.

Rushden 1-2 Fulham

Again another very tight game appears to have been won by the team who dominated the ball. Fulham's 64% possession led to Rolfes and Damiao giving them a 2-0 lead at Nene Park. Rushden rallied and Kolarov made for a tense finish but Teb's tribe were professional enough to see the game out taking the points with them back to London.

Boston 1-1 Chesterfield

Boston continue to surprise but in all honesty they missed out today. After taking the lead through Inan they were pegged back on the stroke of half time by Matuidi. Despite dominating the possession in the second half, particularly after Elano got an early bath for a naughty tackle Boston failed to make the breakthrough and Chesterfield will go away from York Street more than happy with their point.

Reading 0-1 Chelsea

Another shock result in my opinion although Chelsea were fairly dominant and fully deserved their win at Reading. Sven Bender got an early winner for the blues who will be delighted with the result and the performance. Reading were surprisingly quiet although Ronaldo did have a reasonable game.

Sheffield Wednesday 3- Bradford

The result of the night that will likely shock the most people. Wednesday somehow managed to score 3 goals from their 4 shots on goal and De Sanctis was far busier keeping out 6 shots on target at the other end. Bradford manager Kuldeep Samra will no doubt berate his team for their lack of concentration in the latter stages of each half since all the goals came in the last 5 mins of each half. A bendtner double and Hector Moreno goal gave Wednesday their 2nd successive win.

Peterborough 2-2 Carlisle

Superb game at London road couldn't have been more even and the draw was the only fair outcome. Carlisle did take the lead twice but Malcolm has built a resilient side and they fought back on each occasion to get a deserved point. Schennikov and Isco goals were both cancelled out by Ledesma and Chicarito goals. Both these teams look very strong but John's young stars do look to have quite some future!

Manager of the week = David Stephenson (Liverpool) Only manager with 100% record so deserves the recognition.

Round 4 Preview & Predictions

Carlisle v West Ham

John plays host to Caleb's lads in what ought to be a battle of the youngsters, with both managers boasting some of the best young talent in EC1.

Neither manager has injury or suspension concerns so both managers are expected to field a full strength side. West Ham have been is free flowing form this season, averaging almost 3 goals a game and the likes of Sanchez, Hazard and Goetze will no doubt cause problems for the Carlisle backline however John Friel is expected to employ his usual cunning tactics which should produce at least a point if not all 3 for the home side.

Prediction: 2:1

Arsenal v Liverpool

Battle of the heavy weights promises to be a potential 6 pointer as the title challenge hots up in the coming weeks. Liverpool sit on top of the table and are yet to drop a point but no doubt Adam's Gunners will be looking to change that with home ground advantage perhaps the deciding factor.

No suspensions or injuries to consider, both managers will field all of their stars, names including the likes of Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Villa, Robben and Buffon. Arsenal have leaked a lot of goals this season and against a Liverpool team full of firepower up front, many are expecting this to be a high scoring affair with the visitor maintaining their 100% record and grip on top of the table.

Prediction 1:3

Darlington v Tottenham

Sam's hoping to continue his strong home form and snatch another upset win over his more fancied rivals when Tony Green's Spurs visit the Arena.

With Tottenham's attack one of the most lethal in EC1, Darlington will most likely rely on counter attacking football to pose a threat but it's a tactic that worked extremely well against last season's champions Sheffield Utd on the opening day of the season. Expect a surprise result, an upset could well be on the cards.

Prediction 1:1

Hull v Blackburn

Phil takes on Ian in what is bound to be an entertaining afternoon's football. The star studded home team will be looking for maximum points after losing to Spurs last weekend but Ian and his players will be hoping to get something out of the game. Schweinsteiger is the only player out injured or suspended but the home team has numerous alternatives with Alonso, De Jong, Yaya Toure and Fletcher all capable of playing the No 6 position.

Home side should take the points in a low scoring affair.

Prediction 1:0

Man Utd v Rushden Diamonds

Two very experienced managers face off in a battle of David and Goliath. Shelbourne has been transforming his squad over many seasons and his scouting and hard work seems to finally be paying dividends as a crop of young talented players are now emerging and breaking into his first team. Meanwhile Chris Exely continues to defy the odds by keeping his team in the elite division, a minnow amongst giants, and this game should be no different from any other for him. Manchester are clear favourites to take the points, with Rushden's newly recruited Ibrahim Afellay the only player out through suspension not helping the visitor's chances of getting something out of this game.

Prediction 2:0

Fulham v Boston

Teb will be looking to claim maximum points against high flying lightweights Boston Utd. Lead by Messi, Fulham will be looking to take the points and inflict the first defeat of the season on Boston Utd manager, Johann Alberts, who has seen his team work very well together scoring 8 goals in 3 outings.

Anything is possible but with no injuries and suspensions to speak of, the points will most likely be shared.

Prediction 1:1

Chesterfield v Reading

Interesting affair this one, on paper the visitors should take the points but Teje's troops have been rather goal shy this season so the home side may in fact be hopeful of a clean sheet. Can CR7 inspire a Reading victory or will they come unstuck for the second time in a week. Elano is out for the home side but that shouldn't impact on the manager's team selection too much as Eduardo is a very capable player and should slot into the 4-4-2 formation with ease. Another draw is on the cards, a bore draw even.

Prediction 0:0

Chelsea v Sheff Wednesday

Stevie takes on newly promoted Leigh, with both clubs off to a solid start bagging 2 wins in 3. Chelsea has also found scoring goals somewhat difficult this season but will be hopeful of netting a few against a lower rated defense. Still, Leigh's outfit shouldn't be underestimated having blitzed Div 3 and Div 2 in as many season he is a very experienced manager who knows the game well. I'm tipping an upset with the visitors taking the spoils and all 3 points.

Prediction 2:3

Bradford v Peterborough

Kuldeep like many other promoted teams in the past have found the going tough in Div 1, sitting at the very foot of the table after 3 games without a solitary point in the bag. In theory it should mean Mr Malcolm picks up and easy 3 points on the road but beware the wounded animal. Pretty sure Kuldeep will change tactics for this one in the hope of getting first points of the season but with Corluka and Sandro both out with injuries it will be a mammoth task. Visitors to take something out of this one.

Prediction: 0:1

Leeds v Sheff United

Another battle of the heavyweights, featuring the likes of Ramos, Fabregas, Xavi, Aguero and Falcao, yet neither manager would be happy with the start to the season. Leeds in 15th and Sheff Utd in lowly 19th have a lot of work to do to climb the ladder. Both Jose Diaz and Herby will be looking for maximum points and I expect this to be a high scoring contest with plenty of attacking football being played. Herby will be without the services of last season's "golden boy" Samuel Eto'o but is still able to field the likes of Falcao and Aguero in attack. The home side will be without Nasri, who's out through suspension. Punters are tipping a draw and with half of the games last year ending in a stalemate, that's probably a fair call.

Prediction 2:2

Herby welcomes the arrival of Papiss Cisse

The Senegalese centre forward only arrived at Brammel Lane on Tuesday and was immediately included in the squad to face AS Roma in a SMFA Champions Cup match. To the surprise of many fans, the former Bolton man even started the match capping his performance with the MoM award and 2 superb goals.

His display gave the Sheffield Utd gaffer little choice but to retain him in the first choice 11 to face Leeds last night. The new arrival didn't disappoint his manager or the travelling fans show-casing yet again that he was exactly the right man to partner Falcao in a new look attack this season.

Another MoM award, another perfect 10 and another 2 goals marked a fabulous league debut for the athletic striker who Herby thinks will be a massive hit this season.

"I'm over the moon about bringing Papiss to the club. The deal which saw Ricardo Alvarez and Alfred Finnbogason move in the other direction could yet prove to be a very shrewd one if the 27 year old continues scoring at will like he has been. I wish the two lads who left us all the best at Bolton, where Dave Leigh will no doubt provide them with plenty of opportunities."

papiss-cisse-shared-photo-872791248.jpg

The man of the moment, scoring 4 goals in 2 days