• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 1 Division Two - Season Preview We're in for a real treat this year in what must be one of the most competitive divisions on SM. Here we will look at each team and predict

Re: English Championship 1 Welcome all you soccer fans and managers in EC1 to Herby’s end of season round up of what has been yet another fascinating season in the original and first ever setup on SM

Re: English Championship 1 Hope i'm not stepping on any toes but I used to like reading the division 1 review and since it seems to have stopped I thought i'd do it this season (especially as it look

Posted Images

Better Late Than Never

DIV 1.

After just over half the season gone Daves Bolton side still have a nice 6 point gap between them and second place Chelsea.

But with both teams playing away tonight on paper Chelsea seem to have the easy game ,they are playing Villa who have only won once in their last 6 games.Wheras Dave has to go down the M62 to Hull who have won their last 3 games in a row.So his work will be cut out to keep his comfort zone at the top.

[13] This is where Boro sit at the moment ,just 9 points above relegation.So the question for the new manager Nav is it going to be an unlucky number for him to start with his new team.Nav at least starts with a home game against 18th place Norwich who have lost 6 games in a row so it might not be unlucky 13 after all.

DIV2.

This could become a very good race between Teb and Ryan-D to join Dave and Nav next season.Ryan might be sitting at the top of the tree at the moment with his Saints but their is only 3 points between the top six,and Teb is 4th at moment with a home game tonight and just 2 points behind Ryan at the top.Ryan takes Sothampton tonight to the Capital to play Millwall who after winning their last home game 3-0 against Reading will be on a high and look forward to the visit of the leaders.

But still Teb will have a game on his hand because Stoke come to Craven Cottage hoping to win 2 away games on trot after a great 4-0 win last week at plymouth..[Rumour has it Bobo may be a special guest in the Directors box.]

DIV3.

Leamington Steve must be really looking forward to tonights game .His top of the table Wolves are away to second place Northampton so should be a Full House.Also pressure will be on Northampton manager as Steve has a very commanding 14 point gap.A good away result tonight and he will be Howling.

DIV4.

Well with Herby sitting on top with Swindon it means at the moment all divisions in EC1 have forumers holding all top positsions so congrats all round.

Herby will be hoping to get back to winning ways after loosing their last match away to Oxford which ended a run of 5 straight wins,Swindon go to Hartlepool who won their last home match against Perrys Southend.So will they beat 2 forumers on the trot at their Victoria Ground.

Perrys Southend are at the moment 9th and have a home game against Shorpe.But with the Scunny only loosing 1 in their last 6 could be a hiccup.As for me i am 5 points behind Perry sat in 14th place and have a tricky game against the pilgrims in their home town of Boston.

oooo

super review, must have taken a long time. just to let you know, now i have a list of ec1 forumers, now and again, i will be welcome to do a preview/review in the future, did 5-6 turns in wc2, gave up in the end, wouldnt mind a rotation policy though :)

Top write up Alan! Full marks mate.

Well, I guess I'll concentrate on doing the wrap up then. :P

BTW - I need some cash ... urgently!! :)

I'm looking to offload anyone (except Nani & Dos Santos) in my team for the right money so if anyone would like a player let me know. Desperately need 2.5 mil to get out of the hole :(

Dave? Steve? (either one) Nav? I'm open to ALL offers. lol

Cheers,

Herby

Well, I guess I'll concentrate on doing the wrap up then. :P

Sorry but after querying whether i read this thread or not ,i did feel guilty.

I always read it when i come on forum and appreciate what you guys do,but like you said it doesnt take a mo even if busy to do a quick input now and then to let you know its not in vain. :)

Well' date=' I guess I'll concentrate on doing the wrap up then. :P

BTW - I need some cash ... urgently!! :)

I'm looking to offload anyone (except Nani & Dos Santos) in my team for the right money so if anyone would like a player let me know. Desperately need 2.5 mil to get out of the hole :(

Dave? Steve? (either one) Nav? I'm open to ALL offers. lol

Cheers,

Herby[/quote']

if i had any money i would help you mate!! :)

nice review...will be very pleased with a top 5 finish given my start to the season, not sure whats happened to Fulham, went on a 10 game unbeaten streak and found myself near the top!! Bobo must have subconsciously converted me to the dark side.

Superb write up Alan, top marks sir!

Young Ryan has gone AWOL?

I like the idea of a review and preview rotation system.

Say Herb does the review for tonights games?

I will get a schedule together of the reviews and previews if everyone is in agreement.

So aside from Alan, Herb and myself who else wants to get involved?

Right, let's see how Alan tipped. His predictions can't be any worse than Dave's :eek: ..... surely! lol

Speaking of Dave, his Bolton team had a tough fixture against Hull away from home and despite having Kevin Nolan sent from the park on 26 minutes, the Wanderers managed to triumph and steal all 3 points from Hull in front of a sell out crowd. Bolton's hero was young Bastian Schweinsteiger who netted half way through the 2nd half, lobbing Dida with ease. MoM was once again Ze Roberto who showed his class in midfield and worked tremendoulsy hard to compensatate for the loss of Nolan early on. Hull had more shots on goal and target yet failed to beat Jaaskelainen in the Bolton goal.

Chelsea only managed an away draw against Villa whoch means Dave extends his already comfortable lead to 8 points atop Div 1.

Nav made his league debut as manager of Boro and was warmly greated by 30,000 home fans that turned out to the Riverside Stadium to watch their team take on Norwich City. Alan thought that perhaps Middelsbrough's current ranking of 13th could be an unlucky omen and it appears he was right. Boro went down 2:1 in what was a very even contest. MoM Andrew Cole opened the scoring for the visitors after 37 mins only for the home team to draw level courtesy of a lovely finish by Salomon Olembe. Nav tried to ralley his troops at half time and asked for more commitment and courage yet it was the opposition that showed more bite and were able to grab the win and all 3 points when the talented Giuseppe Rossi ironically miss-hit his shot and was embarrassed to see the ball squirm under Landreau's torso. A bad mistake from the GK that cost Nav and his men dearly. If there is a positive for the new manager, it's that his team has slid further towards the relegation zone and now no-longer sits in unlucky 13th place instead Middelsbrough currently occupies 14th spot.

That brings us to DIV2.

As Alan said, Ryan's Southampton and Teb's Fulham are travelling very nicely at the moment and both can dream of top flight football next season if they continue their current form.

Ryan's took his lads to Millwall where 2 quality teams battled for long stages with neither team being able to stamp their dominance on the opposition. The turning point of the game came referee Vicenzo Di Michelle sent recently drafted in Eric Cubilier off for a dangerous 2 footed lunge tackle.

Ryan had made the wise managerial move to bring on Guti, who ended up collecting the MoM honours, and Harry Kewell for the disappointing Muntari and Roque Santa Cruz. These proved to be inspirational substitutions as Guti ran the show in midfield with the australian star benefiting by scoring both goals in the dying stages. No doubt Ryan will be pleased with the result, managing to bag 3 points when it looked as though honours might be shared. It keeps Southampton top of Division 2, just 2 points clear of Charlton and Birmingham both of whom had good wins.

Unfortunately Teb's Fulham couldn't continue their good run and momentum and suffered a shock home defeat to Stoke who as Alan mentioned have now won 2 in a row on the road. Teb must surely be worries as his team was outplayed and often outclassed for most of the game. Nevertheless they managed as many shooting chances and shots on target as the vistors but lacked the quality in front of goal to make it count. Stoke got off to a good start and went ahead early when Dmitri Vasilev scored after just 17 mins. They made it 2:0 when the icelander Thordur Gudjonsson netted his first of what later became a brace. Despite Fulham pulling 1 goal back when young Leighton Baines was on target, Stoke City soon regained their comfortable 2 goal lead when Gudjonsson found the back of the net straight after the restart. Carl Hoefkens made it 4 for the visitors with 15 to go and many of the Fulham faithful along with VIP Bobo were spotted departing Craven Cottage when MoM Mark Gonzales managed another consolation goal but by that stage the contest was well and truly over. The loss sees Steve's team slide down the ladder and Fulham will have to be content with 7th place for the time being. At least they are still only 2 points away from a promotion spot and there's still plenty of time left in the season.

Rumour has it Bobo may have been sighted outside the main gate after the game swapping his Fulham scarf for a Stoke City season ticket. lol :rolleyes:

Onto DIV3 and Leamington Steve's fortunes this week turned sour when his beloved Wolves lost their top of the table clash against Northampton. The surprising 2:0 loss against 2nd placed Northampton cut Steve's very sizeable lead at the top of the table to a mere 11 points. In a very even affair it was the home team that capitalised on their chances and managed to go in at half time with a 2 goal cushion. Even when the home team was reduced to 10 men midway through the second period, Wolves were unable to seize the opportunity and take advantage of their numerical superiority. Not too many positives to take out of this game for Steve as he and Wolves suffered their 2nd loss of the season. Nevertheless promotion into Div 2 is still on the cards and next week's home fixture to Swansea City should see them back on track.

That just leaves DIV4, yup the lowest of the low. :P

Alan made an interesting point, that being that we have forumers ontop of EVERY division in EC1 and even after this turn, that's still the case. COOL! :D

Perry 's Southend had another loss, this time to Shorpe and questions are being asked of the manager and rightly so. After a bringht start to the season, Southend are now languishing in 10th place and with the players at Perry's disposal he and his team are definitely underperforming at present. Unfortunately things don't get any easier next week when Southend face Herby's Swindon Town away.

The game was mostly a stalemate with both teams cancelling out one another's moves. In fact it looked like ending all square at 2:2 but with 4 mins to go, Shorpe's Leon Cort managed the all important and decisive winner when the RB managed to score from a very acute angle to snatch 3 points for the visitors.

MoM was Southend's recent polish recruit Piotr Wlodarczyk, who managed to get on the scoresheet but that wasn't enough to get something out of the game for his team and manager Perry.

Our previewer Alan's team, Bristol managed a rare away win against a decent Boston side. The game looked like it was all over and lost for Alan and Bristol,when Aaron Lescott was shown the red card after just 6 mins. Despite being down to 10 men, Bristol continued to play the ball around and shocked the home fans and Boston management when they went ahead thru a delightful goal from Vincent Pericard on 8 minutes. Boston hit back and scored twice before half time and went in at the break leading 2:1.

Alan's must've set fire to the drssing room during the break because his lads came out like possessed demons as they grabbed the game by the scruff and dominated the 2nd period, scoring 3 more times in the process despite being 1 player down for such a long period. This result sees Bristol rise up to 14th just 2 points behind Perry's Southend and a midtable spot.

My Swindon boys also managed an away win to further extend the gap to 8 points over 2nd placed Grimsby Town. After the shock defeat to Oxford last turn, Herby's lteam showed its class and smashed the hapless Hartlepoolers for 6 .... well, actually it was 7 (lol) to 1. With Swindon having 70% of the ball, this was indeed a 1 sided affair and no doubt many of the Hartlepool Utd fans made up the 4225 strong crowd asked for their money back at the final whistle.

Until next week (turn), over and out.

Herby

nice summary.

what i want to know is who you are wanting to raise the cash for that you are prepared to sell these guys...?

Just like Marlin fishing .... patience my friend ... PATIENCE!!! ;)

Let's just say I've been trolling and have had a few hits so the fish are out there. :eek: Just gotta land one now. ;)

You'll see when Swindon has a big media release and press conference! Watch this space I say ... lol

Herby

p.s. Glad you liked the review ... pity Fulham couldn't continue that winning form. :(

You know what... my Southend team is killing me! I just can't win a game! Tactics should work' date=' morale is high, average team rating of 81 in Division 4... what am I doing wrong?!

Grrrrr!!!!

Despite pressure to quit I will remain Southend manager and turn this around though![/quote']

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're doing either! :confused::eek:

You've done so well do build a good squad and yet you're not getting the results. At the start of the season I thought Southend and Swindon would battle it out for top billing but that hasn't eventuated.

Might have to start calling you N. Quinn!!! :D

Herby

p.s. Looking forward to our match up on Sat. Should be close!

Northampton 2 - 0 WOLVES

A slight slip up away to 2nd placed Northampton but Wolves still have a commendible lead in Div3. It ended a run of eleven games without defeat for LeamSteves promotion chasing side and it was also the first time they hadnt scored all season. A game that could of gone either way it was the home side that took there chances and avenged the defeat Wolves handed them earlier in the season. Still eleven points ahead of the chasing pack, it would take an almighty run of bad form for Wolves not to go up.

vieri8.jpgromario.jpg

Wolves OAP policy could not break through a resiliant Northampton defence.

Hull City 0 Bolton Wanderers 1

A real hard fought battle away from home.

I am pleased with the result and the 3 points and am pleased Villa held Chelsea to a draw.

Kevin Nolan's sending off was something I could have done without, especially with a diffucult home tie with Nav's Middlesborough on Saturday.

Birmingham City placed a bid of 3.2 million for Roberto Carlos after the game, which was rejected.

allsportkevinnolanevertondisappointed.jpg

anyone else ec1

Saturday's preview and review.

Everyone cool with Herby doing the preview and Alan doing the review if the lads are agreeable?

ok bye me :) If there is anyone on the forum reading this thread who is in this setup and wants a write up please introduce yourself or else i will just go with Bolton,Boro,Southampton,Fulham,Wolves,Swindon,Southend and my unpredictable Bristol. :)