Who really wants Premiership football?

With the season nearing it's climax, it seems, for a variety of reasons, that the top championship sides are finding difficulty in the race for premiership football. As the season gets into the final quarter, there is a real possibilty that we may have 3 totally bew premiership teams...:eek: . However, the teams vying at the top seem to be getting nervous/tripping over each other and this looks like being one of the tightest championship races of all time. None of them have been consistent over the past few weeks in the quest to reach the goldmine which is the premiership. So here's the latest table as I type. I've gone down as far as 13th as all of them still have a realistic chance of going up through the play-offs (if not automatically). Even teams below this still have a chance of making the play-offs but are likely to run out of games:

........................P.....Pts

Stoke C.............40....68

Bristol C.............40....67

Hull City.............40....65

Watford.............39....65

West Brom..........38....63

Plymouth A.........40....59

Ipswich T...........39....59

Crystal P............40....58

Wolves...............39....58

Charlton.............40....57

Burnley...............40....55

Sheff Utd............39....53

Cardiff................38....52

As can be seen, anyone of these teams could easily make the top two automatic promotion spots (even Cardiff due to the games in hand) and certainly the play-offs. But in recent times all of these teams have been dropping points left, right and centre as the form (last six games) table shows:

.....................W-D-L.....Pts

Preston NE.......5-1-0......16

Hull City.........5-0-1......15

Sheff Utd........4-1-1......13

Crystal P.........3-3-0......12

QPR.................3-2-1......11

Wolves...........3-2-1......11

Sheff Wed........2-3-1.......9

Cardiff............2-2-2.......8

Ipswich...........2-2-2.......8

West Brom......2-2-2.......8

Southampton.....1-4-1.......7

Blackpool..........1-4-1.......7

Leicester..........2-1-3.......7

Plymouth A......2-1-3.......7

Watford...........0-6-0.......6

Barnsley............1-3-2.......6

Coventry...........1-3-2.......6

Stoke C............1-3-2.......6

Bristol C...........1-3-2.......6

Shorpe........2-0-4.......6

Norwich............1-1-4.......4

Burnley............1-1-4.......4

Charlton...........0-3-3.......3

Colchester.........0-1-5.......1

So the top two lie 18th and 19th in the form table and the lead they had built as closed somewhat. Hull are currently the form side, whilst recent runs from Sheffield Utd, Wolves and Crystal Palace has brought them back in contention. West Brom appear handily placed with a couple of games in hand over the teams above them, whilst Charlton's and Burnley's recent form has seemingly blown their chances. The others in the mix have mediocre records of late, but have managed to stay in the hunt.

So why at this late stage are the teams at the top struggling. Perhaps tiredness in the top two's cases as they have two of the smallest squads in the league. Maybe that's why the teams with the bigger squads are on form? Or is it just nerves with the prize within touching distance. I'm sure there will be more twists and turns to come and it looks like it will go to the wire. It seems we will have 3 teams promoted with the lowest points total in the history of the championship. So who will get promoted and why?

Re: Who really wants Premiership football?

With the season nearing it's climax' date=' it seems, for a variety of reasons, that the top championship sides are finding difficulty in the race for premiership football. As the season gets into the final quarter, there is a real possibilty that we may have 3 totally bew premiership teams...:eek: . However, the teams vying at the top seem to be getting nervous/tripping over each other and this looks like being one of the tightest championship races of all time. None of them have been consistent over the past few weeks in the quest to reach the goldmine which is the premiership. So here's the latest table as I type. I've gone down as far as 13th as all of them still have a realistic chance of going up through the play-offs (if not automatically). Even teams below this still have a chance of making the play-offs but are likely to run out of games:

Stoke C.............40....68

Bristol C.............40....67

Hull City.............40....65

Watford.............39....65

West Brom..........38....63

Plymouth A.........40....59

Ipswich T...........39....59

Crystal P............40....58

Wolves...............39....58

Charlton.............40....57

Burnley...............40....55

Sheff Utd............39....53

Cardiff................38....52

As can be seen, anyone of these teams could easily make the top two automatic promotion spots (even Cardiff due to the games in hand) and certainly the play-offs. But in recent times all of these teams have been dropping points left, right and centre as the form (last six games) table shows:

.....................W-D-L.....Pts

Preston NE.......5-1-0......16

[b']Hull City.........5-0-1......15[/b]

Sheff Utd........4-1-1......13

Crystal P.........3-3-0......12

QPR.................3-2-1......11

Wolves...........3-2-1......11

Sheff Wed........2-3-1.......9

Cardiff............2-2-2.......8

Ipswich...........2-2-2.......8

West Brom......2-2-2.......8

Southampton.....1-4-1.......7

Blackpool..........1-4-1.......7

Leicester..........2-1-3.......7

Plymouth A......2-1-3.......7

Watford...........0-6-0.......6

Barnsley............1-3-2.......6

Coventry...........1-3-2.......6

Stoke C............1-3-2.......6

Bristol C...........1-3-2.......6

Shorpe........2-0-4.......6

Norwich............1-1-4.......4

Burnley............1-1-4.......4

Charlton...........0-3-3.......3

Colchester.........0-1-5.......1

So the top two lie 18th and 19th in the form table and the lead they had built as closed somewhat. Hull are currently the form side, whilst recent runs from Sheffield Utd, Wolves and Crystal Palace has brought them back in contention. West Brom appear handily placed with a couple of games in hand over the teams above them, whilst Charlton's and Burnley's recent form has seemingly blown their chances. The others in the mix have mediocre records of late, but have managed to stay in the hunt.

So why at this late stage are the teams at the top struggling. Perhaps tiredness in the top two's cases as they have two of the smallest squads in the league. Maybe that's why the teams with the bigger squads are on form? Or is it just nerves with the prize within touching distance. I'm sure there will be more twists and turns to come and it looks like it will go to the wire. It seems we will have 3 teams promoted with the lowest points total in the history of the championship. So who will get promoted and why?

This is a good post and there will be some rep for you for the hard work in typing all that.I agree with you about it being as tight as ever.I would love to see stoke,bristol city and hull get promoted as they never been in the top fligt but i think that this will be the 3 going up:stoke,west brom and eiter watford or plymouth.

Yep, it would be great to get 3 totally new teams premiership teams, but I think the big teams may show their experience and prosper. Stoke and Bristol C have the points on the board which is always good at this stage. Stoke also seem to have a reasonable run-in and although they have to play Bristol C soon, I think they should make it. Bristol City on the other hand have several of the promotion chasers to play and may end up in the play-offs. West Brom will show their experience and come through even though a black country derby may test them in my opinion.

The playoffs will then becomea lottery as usual and I have a sneaky feeling Warnock will guide Palace back to the premiership. But that is if they make the play-offs...:confused:

Lol, shows what I know :D . The topsy-turvy season continues with Bristol City going top as Stoke only managed a draw at Hillsborough. Hull continued their great recent form with a comfortable win and West Brom scored two injury time goals to win a thriller at home to Colchester. Watford continue to slip following the loss to Hull and look likely to be heading for the play-offs.

Realistically only these 5 teams could hope for automatic promotion but still a host of teams in contention for the play-offs. What will the next twist be?

Bristol C.............41....70

Stoke C.............41....69

---------------------------

Hull City.............41....68

West Brom..........39....66

Watford..............40....65

Wolves...............40....61

Ipswich..............40.....60

Plymouth A.........41.....59

Crystal P............41.....59

Burnley..............41.....58

Charlton.............41.....57

Cardiff...............39.....55

Still hard to call and an exciting league as usual.

The fairytale trio would be Bristol,Stoke and Hull:) and i'm sure at least one of these will make it,the only problem is all of the above three would probably face the same hardship as Derby in the prem.

Of the rest West Brom,Wolves and Ipswich would have a better chance of survival in the prem with Crystal Palace being a good outside bet along with Cardiff.

Following the Baggies midweek draw with Cardiff, another weekend of games saw few wins and no-one is yet managing to break away and secure the automatic promotion. Watford's home win against Coventry saw them close the gap at the top and the top 5 are now separated by 3 points. So the automatic promotion spots are still up for grabs as is the final play-off spot. Charlton won at Plymouth to get back into contention but have played extra games. This looks like going right down to the wire.

Bristol C.............42....70

Stoke C.............41....69

Hull City.............41....68

Watford.............41....68

West Brom..........40....67

Wolves...............40....61

Ipswich..............41.....60

Charlton.............42.....60

Plymouth A.........42.....59

Crystal P............41.....59

Burnley..............42.....58

Cardiff...............40.....56

Sheff U..............41.....56

• 2 weeks later...

A further slip-up by Bristol City saw them drop out of the automatic promotion for the first time in a few weeks as West Brom climbed above them. On a day when many of top sides could onl draw it was the Baggies and the Eagles who were the big movers. Bristol City's poor goal difference may also work against them and the play-offs look likely for them now. The last play-off place appears no clearer as any one of 6 sides could still snatch it.

Stoke C.............43....72

West Brom.........42....71

Bristol C.............43....71

Hull C................42....69

Watford.............43....69

Crystal P............43....65

Ipswich..............43....64

Wolves...............41....62

Charlton.............43....61

Cardiff...............42....60

Sheff U..............43....60

Plymouth............42....59

PS Plymouth could move up 4 places with a win against Sheff Wed tonight

I really think stoke will win the leauge this season as long as we beat bristol city on saturday. And if Fuller (15 goals) Lawrence (14 goals and 15 assits) and Cresswell (10 goals) play to there full we should come out of the game with a 2-1 win. West brom for 2nd spot and watford or palace for the play off final.

COME ON YOU POTTERS.

Well i got the score right on saturday( 2-1 win for stoke), get a 3-0 win over colchester and hope palace beat hull and we are up. Doubt southampton will beat WBA but would make a good final game of the season if they did.

Promotion: 1st, 2nd

Promotion play offs: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th

pos points

1 West Bromwich Albion 77

2 Stoke City 75

3 Hull City 72

4 Bristol City 71

5 Watford 69

6 Crystal Palace 68

7 Wolverhampton Wanderers 66

Doubt southampton will beat WBA but would make a good final game of the season if they did.

Who knows, we might suprise you, the hopeless bunch suprise me week in, week out. We have everything to play for (Well, a place in the Championship next season) but you never know with Saints. No one (including about 80% of the fans) expected us to beat Bristol City, and no one understands how we managed it, but it happens, so hopefully we might pull off another miracle next Monday.

It would be a good game if we did win, but with the strike partnership we have at the moment (Bradley Wright and Stern John) I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

It's hard to say who's going to go up at the moment, because even now there are still quite a few teams in with a shout. If things stay as they are at the moment I'd put my money on Palace to win the play-offs, but to be honest, at the moment I'm more worried about the drama at the other end of the table.

HULL you're going to give me a heart attack after winning today, now i have to wait till next week for stoke to go up.We were minutes from premiership footy till you guys scored:mad: .

Well amysfc i hope your guys do beat wba cus next week is going to be great, with all top 9 teams FIGHTING for those 3 places. Got to be the best end to a championship season i'll ever see.

COME ON YOU POTTERS

POS............................POINTS

1 STOKE CITY................78

2 WBA 1GAME IN HAND....77

3 HULL..........................75

4 BRISTOL C...................71

5 WATFORD....................69

6 CRYSTAL PAL...............68

7 WOLVES......................67

8 IPSWICH......................66

9 SHEFFIELD U.................66