Refereeing standards gone down since they became professional?

Before I start, let me just say I'm not making any statements/generalisations about todays game. Man Utd. were always winning the game, Liverpool were not really looking like winning before the sending off. Congratulations on a great game and some classy football towards the end. I still hope even die hard Man. U. fans will agree that the gloss has been taken off by the sending of in the game.

My point is that we are not necessarily talking about football alone these days and almost every week there is some dodgy referee decisions. In the good old days (some of you will be too young to remember ;) ). Referees were not professional. They got a basic minimum fee per game and needed to hold down other jobs to earn their bread. Yet I don't remember so many questionable decisions in those days. However, since referees have been made professional with much higher fees and no need for a second job, more and more questionable decisions appear to be creeping into the game.

So why is this the case? Well many factors may be involved:

1) More cameras - With the total revamping of football coverage started first by Sky and then other media companies there are now cameras at all sorts of angles. It would be fair to say that 50/50 decisions in the past may not have been spotted by the 1-2 cameras available in the old days whereas at least one camera will resolve more issues these days. This has invariably made referees job more difficult, put them under more pressure etc.

2) Referee's Egos - In the past and probably even now, the best referees are the ones who you don't even notice in the game. They don't make too much of a fuss, let the game flow, keep players in check without requiring the book too often. Yet these days, even the referees are 'celebrities' . In the past I wouldn't be able to name one top flight referee. Yet now, from the top of my head, I can name Steve Bennett, Phil Dowd, Howard Webb, Mark Halsey, Rob Styles etc. (I could go on). It's no surprise either, that it's the ones I can name that have been involved in the most contreversial decisions. They have become big-headed, refuse to reverse decisions when they are wrong and look for loopholes to get them out of their mistakes.

3) Frivolous bookings - Again, in years past, you needed to have something seriously bad to be booked. Yet with all the recent rule changes, you can get booked for over-celebrating a goal, kicking the ball away, questioning a ref's decision, diving, etc. In some cases serious foul play is going unpunished while such frivolous things cause bookings. I understand that such rules were brought in to keep the game flowing, stop serious foul play and good players from getting kicked out of the game and stop cheating, but in my opinion the game is more stop-start, cheating is as bad as ever and players don't know what is a fair tackle and isn't and are afraid to tackle.

4) Lack of respect towards referees - The authorities have made a big hoo-ha about this recently. No doubt players seemingly have less respect for referees. Most decisions are followed by masses of players surrounding the referee. Players walk away from referees when previously they stood by the ref and accepted their bookings. Maybe being more free with their cards is going to be the way for referees to resolve this problem. But, we all know there will be no consistency.

We in the EPL traditionally have felt that our referees are the best in the world, but unfortunately more and more evidence is piling up against them. More and more they are getting decisions wrong. More and more they are unwilling to accept their mistakes. Ever since Graeme Poll showed a player 3 yellow cards in the same game before sending him off, I've started to feel referee standards have dropped. Is it time to go back to the old system of amateur referees who don't have egos, haven't refereed the EPL teams and so have no pre-conceived ideas about the players? I fear fot the direction in which refereeing is going in this country and I feel our referees are starting to fall behind their counterparts in many cases.

Guest Sooty's Football Brain

Re: Refereeing standards gone down since they became professional?

OK good post but let me just get this out of the way. I'm not a United fan but i was working at the game today and ballboying right in front of the Mascherano red card. If you could of heard what he was saying to the referee you would have been disgusted. My opinion of him as a person has dramatically fallen and I'm sure had the lad not already been on a yellow it would have been a straight red. He was threatening the Mr Bennett and it was scary. How Bennett managed to keep his cool and walk away from the incident was an achievement in itself. I thought he dealt with the whole thing very well and put up with Mascherano's petty remarks and his complaining for too long before he overstepped the mark.

I have not seen it back on TV yet and I'm not sure what was said on it but Liverpool players were not surrounding the referee after the sending off they were screaming at Mascherano. His petulance and immaturaity had lost them the game and Alonso in particular looked like he could knock his fellow teammate dead. They were so angry and disgusted. I don't care what was said on TV I was next to the incident and if I was the referee would have issued a straight red card and a complaint to the Premier League on Mascherano's behalf. It was horrific. However I was surprised to know how much english Mascherano actually knew. it was good to know he had picked up pretty much every swear word in our whole language.

I believe referees now are under a **** of a lot of pressure. Every decision is scrutinised and they can't win either way. Without technology they can do only their best and give the decision they feel is right. I think that everything evens itself out and though one game you feel robbed of the points the next you may be very lucky and the opposition feel like you did the week before. But we all know which one we remember. We don't put orselves in the oppositions shoes and we always blame the referee for sending us down or robbing us of the title with that game we should have won.

Howard Webb is a very good referee, perhaps the best in english football. Thats why he is going to the Euro's. Know matter how bad a game he has people must remember it probably wouldn't have been much better with any one else. There are fussy and picky referees, there are free flowing referees. There are egotistic referees, quiet referees the one's that get on with their job. However these refs deserve to be where they are because all of them have worked their way up the ladder, all the way from sunday league. We always complain about referees not playing the game at the highest level but you try and start reffing at 35 when you have just retired and working your way up the ladder. You can't and you wouldn't. Why go back to Sunday league when you can put your feet up for the next 40 years, or coach or even get a job on radio or TV. You just wouldnt so these guys should be respected.

I admit there are ref's that are for TV and like to have centre stage but aren't there players like that? Same point goes again if they have worked that hard to get to the top they should be respected and ref the way they do. WIth too many mistakes it'll be back to League 2 football in front of 2,000. Look at Uriah Rennie. I saw him for the 3rd time at Macclesfield a few weeks ago.

Refs are part and parcel of the game and I feel new rules should be implemented to give them more protection. I think with the new hype about tackles long will there be a weekend in the premier league where every game stays 11 v 11. Referees do need to be less fussy and picky but in all honesty they are just following the rules, though they might feel like a turd doing it. Remember if they don't follow the laws they'll be dropped. It all starts where the make the rules and these need to be adjusted, fast. Technology? I'm not sure but lets just see, shall we.

I have a feeling They are trying to kick tackling out of football altogether and make it a non contact sport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot shoulder barge anymore? the slightest slide tackle is a free kick due to "intent" and a tug of the shirt can brandish a yellow? seems a bit weird to me :)

All refs make mistakes its football but some people players and managers doint give ref's an symphey despite not knowing what a ref is like.

I feel for all refs they come under alot of pressure and abuse off the fans alone never mind players and managers and they will decresse over the next few years if it carry's on.

We need to follow rugbys example and only let captins talk to ref and refs also need to use there red cards more often if they come under abuse they are aloud to send players off but i doint think they realise this untill recently and today ashley cole a prime example bad tackle alone was red in my opinion but to complain to the ref like that was bad so it should of been 2 reds.

it also has to be taught right from grass roots if kids give abuse to the ref they will do it when there older managers need to set some rules down and not play the kid if hes booked thats what happend when i was 12 i wasnt aloud to play next game when i gave back chat to ref but its changed now but as i say teach it at grass roots and it should stick in there mind for ever.

I also think that the premership should higher some eruopeian ref's in my opinion they are better than ours and doint take abuse they just give em red straight off which is whats needed in England also in eruoup players tend to respect ref's more with a few exeptions.

Like smarty said theres more cameris now and it also puts refs under more stick as the better technoligy the more we can pick out there mistakes which downs there conferdence an once thats gone they usilly make more and more mistakes.

I agree once we have a weekend of 9v9's after players are sent off for back chat it will soon stop straight away and will stick, it's logic.

I agree once we have a weekend of 9v9's after players are sent off for back chat it will soon stop straight away and will stick' date=' it's logic.[/quote']

I would like someone to compare the average times a game is stopped in say 1997 to how many times the game is stopped on average this season. I say at least 70?

All refs make mistakes its football but some people players and managers doint give ref's an symphey despite not knowing what a ref is like.

I feel for all refs they come under alot of pressure and abuse off the fans alone never mind players and managers and they will decresse over the next few years if it carry's on.

We need to follow rugbys example and only let captins talk to ref and refs also need to use there red cards more often if they come under abuse they are aloud to send players off but i doint think they realise this untill recently and today ashley cole a prime example bad tackle alone was red in my opinion but to complain to the ref like that was bad so it should of been 2 reds.

it also has to be taught right from grass roots if kids give abuse to the ref they will do it when there older managers need to set some rules down and not play the kid if hes booked thats what happend when i was 12 i wasnt aloud to play next game when i gave back chat to ref but its changed now but as i say teach it at grass roots and it should stick in there mind for ever.

I also think that the premership should higher some eruopeian ref's in my opinion they are better than ours and doint take abuse they just give em red straight off which is whats needed in England also in eruoup players tend to respect ref's more with a few exeptions.

Like smarty said theres more cameris now and it also puts refs under more stick as the better technoligy the more we can pick out there mistakes which downs there conferdence an once thats gone they usilly make more and more mistakes.

Excellent points Nath (as usual). Referees do have a hard job no doubt in the modern age. Yet you could say the same in Rugby and we don't get any disrespect towards referees there. But then again, the referees there are more willing to chat with the players during stoppages and when the ball is in-play. They also explain their decisions on each occasion to the captain and offending player.

Unfortunately, too many football referees nowadays do not communicate with players. They don't explain their decisions and most of all don't accept when they're wrong. The reason rugby players respect the referees is because they get respect back through acknowledgement of what they have done wrong. In other words to get respect you have to earn respect. The actions of many football referees these days unfortunately do not demand respect from the referees. I would love to have a stage where football referees are respected by all players and we have none of this questioning any decision etc. But sadly, that day won't come in my lifetime I would imagine :rolleyes:

I would like someone to compare the average times a game is stopped in say 1997 to how many times the game is stopped on average this season. I say at least 70?

Good point Sam. I read somewhere not too long ago (sorry haven't got exact reference) that the football is in play about 10 minutes less than it used to be in the mid-90s. No doubt this is dueto all the needless free-kicks, stretchering-off of players, time booking players, re-taking of set-pieces etc. that referees have instigated. Not all their fault as some of this is due to directives from football authorities, but increasingly referees are becoming picky and in many cases making their own interpretations of the rules.

OK good post but let me just get this out of the way. I'm not a United fan but i was working at the game today and ballboying right in front of the Mascherano red card. If you could of heard what he was saying to the referee you would have been disgusted. My opinion of him as a person has dramatically fallen and I'm sure had the lad not already been on a yellow it would have been a straight red. He was threatening the Mr Bennett and it was scary. How Bennett managed to keep his cool and walk away from the incident was an achievement in itself. I thought he dealt with the whole thing very well and put up with Mascherano's petty remarks and his complaining for too long before he overstepped the mark.

Yeah Masch for some reason was way over the top today hes not usually like it.

but... that stuff you say he said must have come "after" the red card because even on TV you could see what he said when he got booked and he only said 4 words when that booking was issued, plus the players have said what he said when he got booked.

after that tho the guy just lost it and should get handed a bigger ban imo, it was a very bad example for everyone and made the guy look like a maniac.

as for refs my thoughts are this...

they have a hard job granted, they are always going to get some desisions wrong granted they are only human.

but how can any ref justify giving say Torres a booking for asking him a question then in a few games time let the same offense slip with no booking this is evedent all over football.

the same refs are awarding things 1 match say a red card for last man, then in another match they dont issue one, same with diving, 1 week its a booking next it isnt same with goal celebrations the list is endless.

earlier on in the season we had a penalty awarded against us because Carra was grapping with a striker on a corner something I see 100 times per week in the EPL, the refs explenation was there clamping down on it, I have not seen one given since.

I would like refs to be consistant and I would like it so all clubs / players / fans know the bloody rules as they seem to change by the week.

IVe seen Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea players chase down refs and sware at them etc etc yet no booking, all of a sudden today 3 players get booked for doing it.... I agree it shouldnt happen but why clamp down on it now with 8 games left in the season? wait until pre season and warn all managers and players about it I bet no players got warned today "oh by the way if you question me today its a booking" because its not usually.

Yeah Masch for some reason was way over the top today hes not usually like it.

but... that stuff you say he said must have come "after" the red card because even on TV you could see what he said when he got booked and he only said 4 words when that booking was issued' date=' plus the players have said what he said when he got booked.

after that tho the guy just lost it and should get handed a bigger ban imo, it was a very bad example for everyone and made the guy look like a maniac.

as for refs my thoughts are this...

they have a hard job granted, they are always going to get some desisions wrong granted they are only human.

but how can any ref justify giving say Torres a booking for asking him a question then in a few games time let the same offense slip with no booking this is evedent all over football.

the same refs are awarding things 1 match say a red card for last man, then in another match they dont issue one, same with diving, 1 week its a booking next it isnt same with goal celebrations the list is endless.

earlier on in the season we had a penalty awarded against us because Carra was grapping with a striker on a corner something I see 100 times per week in the EPL, the refs explenation was there clamping down on it, I have not seen one given since.

[b']

I would like refs to be consistant and I would like it so all clubs / players / fans know the bloody rules as they seem to change by the week.[/b]

IVe seen Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea players chase down refs and sware at them etc etc yet no booking, all of a sudden today 3 players get booked for doing it.... I agree it shouldnt happen but why clamp down on it now with 8 games left in the season? wait until pre season and warn all managers and players about it I bet no players got warned today "oh by the way if you question me today its a booking" because its not usually.

Yes well like neller said rulles seem to change each week its same with off side rule its this one week and that other. In pre season refs need to sit down and go though the rules and then tell us the coming season then we all no and if refs doint stick to them rules then we can have a go at them :rolleyes:.

Also every week we see united chelsea livapool players run to the ref and shout and swer they need to be sent off then it might be clear to the players its not right i tend to think arsenal doint do it as often but all teams do it.

We need some rules and then stick by them for next season and beond.

Another reason I don't feel we will get too many more "top refs" in this country is that once we have found a good one, we expose them and put them too much in the spotlight. Take Howard Webb for example, he has consistently been excellent in the premiership taking charge of all types of games, top 4 clashes then relegation battlers, that's why he's done well and give him credit. But know we know he is a good referee he is being shipped to Euro 2008, ok fair enough he deserves it, but he is then being given the biggest game of most weekends. Now you give a really good referee the biggest game every weekend, the mistakes he make will be highlighted. perhaps he will make an error 1 in 6 games. But because he is now officiating the biggest games these errors are deemed huge mistakes and he is soon shunted, dropped and falls from grace. How can any referee expect to officiate every game under the spotlight and get everything perfect. I feel we need to establish who our top 4 or 5 officials are and share the games between them, not put the biggest occasions solely in the hands of one referee! We should keep referees reffing as they are. Thats why they are good, thats why they are consistent.

Another reason I don't feel we will get too many more "top refs" in this country is that once we have found a good one' date=' we expose them and put them too much in the spotlight. Take Howard Webb for example, he has consistently been excellent in the premiership taking charge of all types of games, top 4 clashes then relegation battlers, that's why he's done well and give him credit. But know we know he is a good referee he is being shipped to Euro 2008, ok fair enough he deserves it, but he is then being given the biggest game of most weekends. Now you give a really good referee the biggest game every weekend, the mistakes he make will be highlighted. perhaps he will make an error 1 in 6 games. But because he is now officiating the biggest games these errors are deemed huge mistakes and he is soon shunted, dropped and falls from grace. How can any referee expect to officiate every game under the spotlight and get everything perfect. I feel we need to establish who our top 4 or 5 officials are and share the games between them, not put the biggest occasions solely in the hands of one referee! We should keep referees reffing as they are. Thats why they are good, thats why they are consistent.[/quote']

Graeme Poll, Rob Styles, Mark Battenburg and Mike Riley :rolleyes:

and Howard Webb ok lets go with that. Now lets share out the games and the criticism won't start to lie solely on one of them. They can relax and ref without worrying about making a mistake.

p.s batternburg, don't u mean Trevor lol

watched 2 games today..

1st match Grimsby Vs dons, linesman puts his flag up for offisde, ref doesnt see it and a foul takes place, penalty awarded to dons, linesman puts his flag down and totaly ignores the appeals by the Grimsby players to tell the ref he had raised it.

2nd match LFC Vs Everton, Torres doesnt get booked for having much harsher words to the ref then when he got booked at OT last week, Everton players surrounded the ref at one point and was complaining, moaning... none was booked.

exactly what I was saying about consitancy, people can defend the refs but they are a joke and make VERY basic errors if a football player does the same hes laid into by most people same with a manager.

how can a player(s) be booked 1 week for confronting the ref then not the next? AKA Torres, Rio and Masch last week (yeah masch was out of order but the actuall 2nd booking he got was for saying "whats happening", which has been confirmed by LFC, Sky and the reports themselves although his behavour after that isnt acceptable

He wasn't saying what's happening i'd like to see a sky report that said that. How come he accepted the ban, if Sky had confirmed this surely an appeal would have been accepted. I feel the problem with consistency is sometimes down to the stupidity of the laws. Referees want to book players for surrounding them and annoying them but matter of fact laws say they can't. Sometimes they want to use common sense and not book a player for a shirt pull or a high boot but they have to. Most refs follow the laws like Nathan follows SM Chat Rules to a tee, but they look like idiots :D (Not a real dig Nath just a joke.) But some refs do it there own way. Because of this there is inconsistency and an annoyence between fans and managers alike. The only way we can sort this is by compromising. lets have another look over all the rules. Cut out the stupidity, sort out the offside law etc and then force the refs to follow to a tee. Though as much as I would like to see this happen it's not going to, not any time soon

He wasn't saying what's happening i'd like to see a sky report that said that. How come he accepted the ban' date=' if Sky had confirmed this surely an appeal would have been accepted[/quote']

Liverpool have appealed against the ban, but he has the extra ban for the reaction after the booking not before it.

if you want to see what he said to get that 2nd booking just watch it on TV, or read any of the reports.

his reaction "after" the 2nd booking was inexcusable, but he did get booked for saying "whats happening"

this is Andy Grays report (so basicly Skys) and After the lecture u gave me about not agreeing with a pro media guy like Redknapp im sure u cant go against Sky Legend Gray ;)

Already on a yellow card when Liverpool were 1-0 down at Old Trafford, Mascherano chose the wrong moment to ask referee Steve Bennett 'what's happening?' when team-mate Fernando Torres was booked after he was fouled by Rio Ferdinand. Bennett drew another yellow card, then a red and Mascherano's afternoon was done.

While many will continue to argue that Mascherano should have been nowhere near the referee and didn't need to get involved, Andy Gray stood up for the Liverpool midfielder, telling The Last Word, that football has a problem if you get sent off for asking the referee a question.

"First of all I think Mascherano was disappointed with his booking," he told the Sky Sports show. "We could tell the minute it happened when he slid in on (Paul) Scholes, a lot of referees would have let it go, but Steve Bennett decided that he would book him.

"He was rattled by that, Mascherano, you could see it in his play.

"Steve Bennett has his own way of refereeing a game but it is not mine. A lot of people might say that he was absolutely, 100 per cent right. I don't think he was.

"I agree that he (Mascherano) should have stayed away. He didn't, so forget that. Are you telling me that Steve Bennett is going to send off every single player that comes up to him and says, 'what's happening?'."

I doubt the Ref will confirm that, it was more for the constant and I mean constant nagging and pestering, and also the fact that the ref told him if he carried on he's be off. Look at the Sky Camera's again you can see him point and I heard him say it. Simple instructions young Javier couldn't follow. I'd like to hear the Ref come out and say that himself but that doesn't happen now either.

I doubt the Ref will confirm that' date=' it was more for the constant and I mean constant nagging and pestering, and also the fact that the ref told him if he carried on he's be off. Look at the Sky Camera's again you can see him point and I heard him say it. Simple instructions young Javier couldn't follow. I'd like to hear the Ref come out and say that himself but that doesn't happen now either.[/quote']

yeah but nobody is doubting the above.

You asked for confirmation that was what Masch actually said when he got booked.

but say Masch, said 50 things throught the match to the ref, the ref wanrs him 1 more and your off.

asking something like "whats happening" is hardly anything bad or a booking offense, Im not defending Masch as I have said many, many times he was an idiot on that day.

but as for the booking its clear for anyone watching the clip what he said "before the red", and sky and co have confirmed thats what he said.

for his behviour after the red thats another thing and deserves an extra ban because of it

yeah but nobody is doubting the above.

You asked for confirmation that was what Masch actually said when he got booked.

but say Masch' date=' said 50 things throught the match to the ref, the ref wanrs him 1 more and your off.

asking something like "whats happening" is hardly anything bad or a booking offense, Im not defending Masch as I have said many, many times he was an idiot on that day.

but as for the booking its clear for anyone watching the clip what he said "before the red", and sky and co have confirmed thats what he said.

for his behviour after the red thats another thing and deserves an extra ban because of it[/quote']

Agree with neller masch did only ask whats going on now thats hardly a offence just asking wats goin on he is from another country so it can be a escusse that he did not no whats goin on.

But also like neller said his reactions deserved a ban and a extra gam on top of that i would of thought he would no better after coming from arigentina and all the hostile things goin on in there league im sure hes used to it and there for should be able to calm himself down and stay calm in the situation.

But all that match he was in the ref's face there is numerios clips of him running 20-30 yards to contest a decsion so i think he should of been sent off before that situation but ref was to nice at that time but came to his sences when he was sent off.

Neller OK you can give me Andy Gray's opinion on it or whatever but what proof have you actually given me there about what he said? And you've just said Sky and co confirmed that. Where? Where's the statement saying "We have evidential proof that shows Mascherano said one thing to the referee when he ran up and that was "whats happening" Well how solowly does he bloody talk because that was one long rant on the touchline before the referee pointed to the tunnel before sending him off. Obviously my word against the Sky Cameras is not going to get me there, but like I said I was probably the closest neutral to the incident in the whole ground. I'm not a United fan and I think Mascherano's a cracking player but and some people will argue it did not warrant a sending off but I watched with anxiety and dissaproval at Mascherano and the verbal abuse Bennett took just before the red was there for the whole half of the South Stand to see. Obviously no one will believe a United Fans opinion. I understand you are trying to convince me "all he said was whats happening" and I understand you say he may still deserve a red for everything that happened before? In all honesty Neller (and know Nath) Come to me with an actual written statement from Sky (not Andy Gray's views and opinions on the Ref) and I'll keep my mouth shut on this one because I know what I saw and I can see it again when I look back at the recording. Perhaps when Sky flicked over to Torres you didn't see all of it, only when the picture came back on Mascherano. But like I said I just know I'm right here. And I'd be amazed for Sky and any other broadcasting station to come out and slate the Ref by giving a load of proof against them.

Neller OK you can give me Andy Gray's opinion on it or whatever but what proof have you actually given me there about what he said? And you've just said Sky and co confirmed that. Where? Where's the statement saying "We have evidential proof that shows Mascherano said one thing to the referee when he ran up and that was "whats happening" Well how solowly does he bloody talk because that was one long rant on the touchline before the referee pointed to the tunnel before sending him off. Obviously my word against the Sky Cameras is not going to get me there' date=' but like I said I was probably the closest neutral to the incident in the whole ground. I'm not a United fan and I think Mascherano's a cracking player but and some people will argue it did not warrant a sending off but I watched with anxiety and dissaproval at Mascherano and the verbal abuse Bennett took just before the red was there for the whole half of the South Stand to see. Obviously no one will believe a United Fans opinion. I understand you are trying to convince me "all he said was whats happening" and I understand you say he may still deserve a red for everything that happened before? In all honesty Neller (and know Nath) Come to me with an actual written statement from Sky (not Andy Gray's views and opinions on the Ref) and I'll keep my mouth shut on this one because I know what I saw and I can see it again when I look back at the recording. Perhaps when Sky flicked over to Torres you didn't see all of it, only when the picture came back on Mascherano. But like I said I just know I'm right here. And I'd be amazed for Sky and any other broadcasting station to come out and slate the Ref by giving a load of proof against them.[/quote']

The clips to not flick over to Torres, and in 1 thread you call me for having a different opinion to Redknapp claiming something like Redknapp has been in football all his life I should respect his views etc etc etc then you say such things about prob the best pundit there is? lol ok :rolleyes:

Im not trying to convince you of anything I have no interest in doing so, you are the one who keeps posting back to me, LFC said thats what masch said, Andy gray who is basicly the voice of Sky on such things (always has been) said thats what he said, the other players said thats what he said.

so I think for some reason im going to belive them over you, I dont even know if u was at the game anybody can claim such things (I do belive u was) but like I said im bound to belive those people more I mean who wouldnt.

the shortest post on this thread (one below yours) basicly says everything I was trying to

as for the written satement, why do I need to bring 1 to you?? why dont u bring one to me saying he said otherwise and maybe I will agree with you.

or.... this is a forum and maybe we can have different views and dont have to agree, I was simply posting my own opinions before and dont need to convince anyone to agree with me as I basicly dont care if they dont :)

I emailed Sky and asked them for an offical statement to solve this debate on the SM forum and got the following reply..

what is SM?, who is Scooty? and "no we dont EVER release such statements but we will ask the ref to release one to solve your debate for you"

so we will have to wait to see if they can get it sorted for us ;)