Profound and Touching Quotes Thread

sheva20

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Profound and Touching Quotes Thread

lol' date=' pretty sure it's from an author so that's definitly a possibility :)

Although I pictured it coming from a buddhist or something rather then a rich man.

Or did you just ask what Ingen ko på isen meant? :D[/quote']

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.

Sholom Aleichem

and I think it's one of your rich proverbs about a cow on ice

"When life deals you bad cards' date=' become the dealer". Sirmarkhughes[/quote']

Or grab Ye wager and hope you have fast feet, steady nerves and a few friends in law enforcement..

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." - been credited to many people without evidence though. Everyone from writer Dorothy Parker to W.C. Fields. Still a classic quote.

It is

I like this thread as I love great quotes. Pretty anything from Twain got me into that sort of thing.

God created alcohol so that people who looked like me could get laid as well - Sinead Murphy (Irish writer b. 1959).

Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Oscar Wilde.

We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another - Jonathan Swift.

Dancing: The vertical expression of a horizontal desire - George Bernard Shaw.

The true use of speech is not so much to express our wants as to conceal them - Oliver Goldsmith (Poet and Writer 1728 - 1774).

I like this thread as I love great quotes. Pretty anything from Twain got me into that sort of thing.

God created alcohol so that people who looked like me could get laid as well - Sinead Murphy (Irish writer b. 1959).

Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Oscar Wilde.

We have just religion enough to make us hate' date=' but not enough to make us love one another - Jonathan Swift.

Dancing: The vertical expression of a horizontal desire - George Bernard Shaw.

The true use of speech is not so much to express our wants as to conceal them - Oliver Goldsmith (Poet and Writer 1728 - 1774).[/quote']

If you guys don't mind, the quotes I'm going to post in this thread are not very touching, but I think they're funny.

Dermo, you said you loved great quotes and I saw you posted one, from Oscar Wilde; here's another of his quotes:

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back."

I have lots of other funny quotes, but, for now, I'll leave you with one that cracked me up:

"Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night." - Dave Barry

Regards:)

You may not be her first' date=' her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She's not perfect - you aren't either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break - her heart. So don't hurt her, don't change her, don't analyze and don't expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she's not there.”

― Bob Marley[/quote']

Very interesting.

“Be peaceful' date=' be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.”

― Malcolm X[/quote']

Agree:D

"When life deals you bad cards' date=' become the dealer". Sirmarkhughes[/quote']

Nice one, mate;)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein

I've already heard this one.:)

Here's another funny quote:

How do you get a sweet little 80-year-old lady to say the F word? Get another sweet little 80-year-old lady to yell ‘BINGO!’ (anonymous)

Not profound or touching but a couple of quotes from that legend that is Gordon Strachan.

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity" (walks off).

So witty for a wee man :)

-------

Talking about Wayne Rooney: "It's an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson."

From back when Rooney had hair [not that artificial turf].

----

Gary Lineker: “So Gordon, if you were English, what formation would you play?”

Strachan: “If I was English I'd top myself!”

Legend.

Archived