Sign in to follow this  
mattyjewi

Grand National 2008

Well, the big race is on Saturday there are currntly 50ish horses left in, which will be cut down tomorrow.

List of the runners can be found here:

http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/grand-national-runners.php

I will certainly be going for-

Chelsea Harbour- due to the name

and i normally do 4 so i need to choose 3 more, but some appeal to me.

Just wondered if anyone else follows this atall?

Re: Grand National 2008

I spent about three hours studying the form last year, only for my wife to come along and pick the same horse without knowing it because she "liked the name"!!!

Still, I did pick the winner and had £10 ew at 40/1!!! A nice £520 return!!!:D :D

I have decent record of picking winners in this race, with 11 winners in 31 years.Last year i had the second horse Mckelvey who i will ignore this year as it carries an extra 10lb.I usually back 3 or 4 horses in the race.This year i am selecting three,including two horses who fell in the national last year.

SIMON

BEWLEYS BERRY

BUTLERS CABIN

I use a system giving points for attributes like form,going,weight,course and distance etc.

You need a horse that will jump well,has the stamina and a touch of class.You also don't want to be higher than 11st 7lb in the weights.TURKO came top in my system but i have ignored it as there too many factors against it: it is too high in the weights,too young at six,and has never won over course and distance,otherwise it has a great chance!

There are some very good Irish horses in the race,their form this year is very poor but don't let that fool you!

If you look at the top fifteen in the betting history suggests the winner will be likely to come from that group,although,anything can happen in the national.

Finally,MR POINTMENT (11st 11lb)would be my fancy if it did not carry so much weight but as most of the fancied horses are carrying 10st 11lb or more i might be wrong to ignore it. CLOUDY LANE is obviously a worthy favourite but being small and the fact it might not take to the national fences or the distance of 4.4 miles i don't think it represents good value.

Anyway good luck and i hope someone on the forum wins.

I have decent record of picking winners in this race' date=' with 11 winners in 31 years.Last year i had the second horse Mckelvey who i will ignore this year as it carries an extra 10lb.I usually back 3 or 4 horses in the race.This year i am selecting three,including two horses who fell in the national last year.

SIMON

BEWLEYS BERRY

BUTLERS CABIN

I use a system giving points for attributes like form,going,weight,course and distance etc.

You need a horse that will jump well,has the stamina and a touch of class.You also don't want to be higher than 11st 7lb in the weights.TURKO came top in my system but i have ignored it as there too many factors against it: it is too high in the weights,too young at six,and has never won over course and distance,otherwise it has a great chance!

There are some very good Irish horses in the race,their form this year is very poor but don't let that fool you!

[b']If you look at the top fifteen in the betting history suggests the winner will be likely to come from that group,although,anything can happen in the national[/b].

Finally,MR POINTMENT (11st 11lb)would be my fancy if it did not carry so much weight but as most of the fancied horses are carrying 10st 11lb or more i might be wrong to ignore it. CLOUDY LANE is obviously a worthy favourite but being small and the fact it might not take to the national fences or the distance of 4.4 miles i don't think it represents good value.

Anyway good luck and i hope someone on the forum wins.

I agree with what you're saying about the winner normally coming from the top 15 in the handicap historically, but I think the quality of the field has dramatically increased in recent years, which is shown in the fact that all the horses are in the handicap proper this year, so this can be largely discounted.

I also agree with the tip you have given on Simon; he was going well last year before he fell, but I think he'll finish this year.

As for an outsider have a look at BACKBEAT. Stays all day and one of the best jumpers in the field. Only downside is he might like the ground a bit softer from what I've heard. You can get a big price of 80/1 like I have, and apparently is 100/1 in places, so definately worth an each way punt.