Greatest Footballing side ever

OK, this title is a little confusing. What I want to discuss here is the greatest footballing side of all time. What I mean by this, is the side who you would pay money to watch because of their style of football. I have to say currently Arsenal play scintillating football which is extremely pleasing on the eye. And that in an era where pace and power seems increasingly more important and flair is going out of the game. Flowing, one touch football which is probably the best advertisement for football if we wanted to introduce insiders to the game. Here are some of my favourites:

Arsenal - current - As I've mentioned above their football is awesome at times and I can't think of many Arsenal games where I think I didn't get value for money. They continue to play the "beautiful game" how it is best portrayed in my eyes. Few teams can play this way these days as tactics and athleticism has become more prevalent in football.

Manchester United - 90s - Some of the best players to grace the EPL were part of a side that were a truly awesome attacking machine. Goals from all angles, flowing attacking and counter-attacking moves and more than a fair few 7,8 or 9 goal games

Liverpool 80s - A little bias here maybe :confused: . But Liverpool in the 80s just did not give up the ball. Pass and move was the order of the day and sometimes moves involving 20 passes + would culminate in a goal at the end. At times opposition teams were simply just chasing shadows.

Brazil 70s-80s - Quite simply amazing. Moves involving every player in the team were routine for the sides of this era. The brand of football that made household names of the likes of Jairzinho, Zico, Josemar etc. Brazil still play this way to an extent but the sides of this era were pure magic.

Ajax/Holland 80s - Total football. Perhaps the impudence of youth but again flowing moves involving whole teams. Of course the best thing about these teams was the ease in which players were interchangeable in positions and yet did not look out of place. The likes of Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard to name a few. Magical football

I'm sure people have their favourites. No offence to any not mentioned this was just my view. I wonder if the current Arsenal style of play is the last of a dying art in the modern game. As pace and power and athleticism becomes more important, I wonder if we will ever see the 'beautiful game' type of football again ?

Re: Greatest Footballing side ever

OK' date=' this title is a little confusing. What I want to discuss here is the greatest footballing side of all time. What I mean by this, is the side who you would pay money to watch because of their style of football. I have to say currently Arsenal play scintillating football which is extremely pleasing on the eye. And that in an era where pace and power seems increasingly more important and flair is going out of the game. Flowing, one touch football which is probably the best advertisement for football if we wanted to introduce insiders to the game. Here are some of my favourites:

[b']Arsenal - current[/b] - As I've mentioned above their football is awesome at times and I can't think of many Arsenal games where I think I didn't get value for money. They continue to play the "beautiful game" how it is best portrayed in my eyes. Few teams can play this way these days as tactics and athleticism has become more prevalent in football.

Manchester United - 90s - Some of the best players to grace the EPL were part of a side that were a truly awesome attacking machine. Goals from all angles, flowing attacking and counter-attacking moves and more than a fair few 7,8 or 9 goal games

Liverpool 80s - A little bias here maybe :confused: . But Liverpool in the 80s just did not give up the ball. Pass and move was the order of the day and sometimes moves involving 20 passes + would culminate in a goal at the end. At times opposition teams were simply just chasing shadows.

Brazil 70s-80s - Quite simply amazing. Moves involving every player in the team were routine for the sides of this era. The brand of football that made household names of the likes of Jairzinho, Zico, Josemar etc. Brazil still play this way to an extent but the sides of this era were pure magic.

Ajax/Holland 80s - Total football. Perhaps the impudence of youth but again flowing moves involving whole teams. Of course the best thing about these teams was the ease in which players were interchangeable in positions and yet did not look out of place. The likes of Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard to name a few. Magical football

I'm sure people have their favourites. No offence to any not mentioned this was just my view. I wonder if the current Arsenal style of play is the last of a dying art in the modern game. As pace and power and athleticism becomes more important, I wonder if we will ever see the 'beautiful game' type of football again ?

All good teams but for me its got t be celtic team from 1957 to 1970 i would pay thousands to watch them play with johnston lennoz mcneail and rest.

Also Ajax as smartdoc mentiond they were class back in the day :)

Ever.....?? Hmm.....

Leeds United in the 70's for me...

Liverpool in the 80's

Newcastle between 94-99....lol:D

Arsenal currently....

Leeds overall though, the mixture of fighters , flair and a good target man was a pretty impressive package....

Ever.....?? Hmm.....

Leeds United in the 70's for me...

Liverpool in the 80's

Newcastle between 94-99....lol:D

Arsenal currently....

Leeds overall though' date=' the mixture of fighters , flair and a good target man was a pretty impressive package....[/quote']

Yep Leeds in the 70s were pretty awesome. Keegan's Toon Army Mark I were also a joy to behold at times.

How about Ardilles and his Fab 5 Spurs? Did not necessarily get the results, but their policy of we'lll score more than you, resulted in some fantastic football and some great goals as well as being truely entertaining for all concerned.

I would have to add the AC Milan team of the early 90's and the Juve side of the late 90's.

And smastdoc I have already copyrighted 'Fab 5' :D

Yep I have to admit the Juve side of the 90s were pretty awesome on their day. Although I thought some of the earlier Juve sides would have been your favourites :eek:

Guess I owe you some royalties for using your slogun :D

Guest melbguy1

Yep I have to admit the Juve side of the 90s were pretty awesome on their day. Although I thought some of the earlier Juve sides would have been your favourites :eek:

Guess I owe you some royalties for using your slogun :D

Yeah, thought I'll bring up a side that some people might remember or know something about :o

And that Brazil 'team' won the award for the best goal ever in a world cup... yep Maradona came second.

Liverpool In The 80's Thanks To Them Liverpool Still Hold The Record For The Most English League Titles Won!

Yeah the same title, probably every team in England has won ;) Preston and Burnley to name two not brilliant clubs..

Arsenal 2003/2004 thats real domination not losing in a season this century :)

Real domination is 9 Premier League titles' date=' 6 more than anyone else, including 3 titles in a row, and the treble.[/quote']

Its not really about titles won......

This thread is about Greatest football playing teams!! As in the way they play!

Unless I'm mistaken?

Real domination is 9 Premier League titles' date=' 6 more than anyone else, including 3 titles in a row, and the treble.[/quote']

Yep but your just talking about the English league ,if you were that great where was the domination of the European clubs at the same time like LFC in the early days and like Ibracadabra just mentioned about Real Madrid .

How many European cups have you won in your years of totall domination i forget at the moment .

Also i would say one of the unluckiest great teams which i have mentioned on numerous threads were Leeds Utd under Revie ,reason why is they just happened to run on a Parralel with the just as good LFC and comming of second best ,during this period ,but they were great believe me .

Also good shout Nathan i believe on the Lisbon lions ,

Ronnie Simpson ,Tommy Gemmell ,Jim Craig ,Bobby Murdoch ,Billy McNeil

John Clark ,Jimmy Johnstone ,Bobby Lennox ,Steve Chalmers ,Bertie Auld Willie Wallace ,Willie O'Neill ,Charlie Gallagher ,Joe McBride , John Hughes .

They played a great allout-attacking brand of football which won many admirers and i would say at the time changed the face of European football ,also for them that dont know they were all Scottish players not a mixture of nationalities which to win the European cup with the great foreign sides there were in them days shows you how good they was.

Also to be fair on our forum friends around the globe ,we must remember TV was not 24/7 on soccer around the globe ,you didnt see the Spanish /Italians /Germans etc in the early days like now ,but they showed how good they were in the great European games ,so i would say they had their Leeds and LFC etc in this period ,Also it would be foolish of me not to mention a certain Nottingham Forest under Cloughie .:eek:;)

Guest melbguy1

They played decent football for one season mate....

They don't compare to any other teams mentioned so far for me...

Including Arsenals current side?

Well, not at present but I mean Arsenal currently as being the team since Wenger took over....

They have played brilliant eye pleasing football IMO...

So yeah, I would include Arsenal's current side...!

Anyway, go away with your EPL hating opinions....lol:p :D

Football wise Arsenal have been playing the best football in the EPL for about the last 6 years.

The only fans you really see them say they aint is Man Utd's, but most others will tell you they are the best team to "watch" in the EPL by a mile

Barcelona 2006 have played better football then Arsenal this season IMO. I think once you dont give space to Arsenal to pass then they start to play not pretty for example vs Liverpool first 20mins Liverpool gave them alot of space and Arsenal played very well and didnt let Liverpool play atall but then Liverpool didnt give them space to pass and from that minute of Arsenal were not the same Arsenal as we Knew.

Guest melbguy1

Well' date=' not at present but I mean Arsenal currently as being the team since Wenger took over....

They have played brilliant eye pleasing football IMO...

So yeah, I would include Arsenal's current side...!

Anyway, go away with your EPL hating opinions....lol:p :D[/quote']

I'll let you know when it a EPL hate post :)

I think that with the calibre of teams being mentioned, yes even that Liverpool side and I really enjoyed watching that Man U side, that comparing them to the current Arsenal squad is a bit of a stretch.. Especially when I thought the previous Arsenal side (Henry, Bergkamp) was much beter to watch.

Barcelona 2006 have played better football then Arsenal this season IMO. I think once you dont give space to Arsenal to pass then they start to play not pretty for example vs Liverpool first 20mins Liverpool gave them alot of space and Arsenal played very well and didnt let Liverpool play atall but then Liverpool didnt give them space to pass and from that minute of Arsenal were not the same Arsenal as we Knew.

Me and Neller ave both said that Arsenal have been good over seasons and I didn't generally mean just this season.....

Sorry, I didn't explain that properly Ibra