Why does the region provide so many technically gifted players?

I wonder if any of the forum experts from Eastern Europe could enlighten us as to why this region produce so many technically gifted players? All countries of the ex-Yugoslavia, Romania and Poland in particular have produced some of the most technically gifted players of recent times and it appears on the outside that there is also a whole new generation in the making. Even surrounding countries like Belarus, Albania, Latvia etc. are producing top class players/talents.

Perhaps there is less pressure from coaching staff (from kids to upper levels) to be big and powerful and have lots of stamina? Possibly less pressure from the press? Or is it similar to countries like Brazil where you have some less affluent areas where football becomes the thing to do for most kids and they hone their skills on the streets. Certainly, from the outside, something is working and I wondr if any of the success could be transferred to other countries?

Would appreciate soem thoughts especially from the regional experts we have on the forum.

Re: Why does the region provide so many technically gifted players?

The answer to this question is : STREET

I think thats the main thing, AND, i dont know do you in England, and western countries, play ''small'' football. :eek:

I heared from my friend who plays in germany, that germans play 5 on 5 on a half of a pitch :eek:

On balkans, like in brasil, kids (but adults too) before they play normal football play ''small'' football, and we dont have football academyes and that stuff

For me, one of the best, if not the best, Robert Prosinecki

EDIT: btw i am the living example of that, ask Zazoon :D

Prosinecki was a class player and not many players have played for both Real Madrid and Barcelona in their career. Under-rated worldwide sadly but was a great player.

Interesting point about the 5-a-side football that you make. Although it is played at young ages in this country, it is stopped far too early in my opinion I've seen under 8s playing on full size pitches which is just plain silly in my eyes. Some of the kiddies do not even get a touch for 15 minutes like this. Surely not the right thing at this age.

Also it's interesting there are no acadamies. Maybe this allows more freedom to develop flair and technical skills. Here, acadamies seemingly tend to focus on teamplay, tactics, stamina and power more than skill. Many players considered small are released without a chance. I wonder if small but skillful players like Luka Modric would have been discarded without a proper chance in this country?

Prosinecki was a class player and not many players have played for both Real Madrid and Barcelona in their career. Under-rated worldwide sadly but was a great player.

yeah' date=' he was awesome, he was best young player of the world once

Interesting point about the 5-a-side football that you make. Although it is played at young ages in this country, it is stopped far too early in my opinion I've seen under 8s playing on full size pitches which is just plain silly in my eyes. Some of the kiddies do not even get a touch for 15 minutes like this. Surely not the right thing at this age.

I read somewhere that in brasil U15 kids play just small football, and then normal. On balkans kids play football every day on the street, and on the playgrounds, they improve their technicue very fast.

EDIT : i just realized that i posted almost the same posts haha :D forgive me

as svejk said it's probably because most of the children play football,they play from a small age on the streets,free,without coaches,where u have to know some tricks to be considered good and to impress your friends.they learn the technique first and the tactics probably never or a small part if they don't go in an academy.so it's possible that one day u play on the streets or in amateur teams and months later u have a first appearance in the first league.to find a good player just go on the streets,pick one with a good technique,learn him some tactic and u'll have a great player.

ps:street could mean playground,schoolyard and now more often synthetic grass playground.

You see, I also used to play on the streets or in the park when I was young. However, as we reached secondary school level (higher school 11-16 yrs) suddenly our football became more organised. Played properly with referees and assigned positions and use of tactics on full size pitches. In my eyes this takes out the fun aspect a little and works against producing technical skill. More time is focussed on organisational skills than technical skills.

I suspect that in your countries of origin, organisation skills are developed at a later stage and football is more fun even at higher ages where you have more freedom of expression on the pitch. Is this the case?

I suspect that in your countries of origin' date=' organisational skills are edeveloped at a later stage and football is fun even at higher ages where you have more freedom of expression on the pitch[/quote']

Where I come from (Lebanon in Middle East) they play thier football like this. You see 15 and 16 year olds using technique and skill in thier game and incorporating organisation and tactics. In my school in London, We are not taught to get past defenders or use any skill in our game.

As I see it there are two main reasons for that:

1. Every kid starts on the street, with friends. That football is totally inspirational without rules considering tactics. Kids that can dribble and that are fast and skilled are "heroes" and admired. No one pays attention to defending or tactics. Just pure attacking football that is FUN to play and watch.

2. General characteristics of Southern European and Mediterranean people are different from N or NW Europe.

Croatian players will be technically gifted, with good vision and imagination but maybe a bit disorganized (until good coach comes in:)) not so patient and easily provoked. In the meantime Scandinavian players won't be so technically gifted but their discipline, organization and commitment will be better. Japanese will be totally fanatic, and although limited their amazing effort will give results.

Italians can design a car but Japanese can make it reliable and mechanically superb.

This is just how it is - culture and geographical position determines some things

You have to remember that there are over 250 million people in Eastern Europe (400-500 million if you count the Asian part of Russia, Turkey, Georgia, Kazakhstan etc), so common sense says they will produce more technically gifted players than England (51 million) will.

I'm far more impressed by the number of technically gifted players that emerge from Argentina (with a population of only 40 million, compared to 185 million in neighbouring Brazil). Also Portugal considering their population is only 11 million (although they dont produce anywhere near the same quantity of top class players as Argentina).

You have to remember that there are over 250 million people in Eastern Europe (400-500 million if you count the Asian part of Russia' date=' Turkey, Georgia, Kazakhstan etc), so common sense says they will produce more technically gifted players than England (51 million) will.

[/quote']

No,no i don't count eastern Europe (Russia...), i (we) think about balkans (Ex-Yu, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Albania) , not Russia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine and that countires.

So, balkans have (IMO) maximum 40M people

• 4 weeks later...

Countries in small circle:

Albania 3,544,841

Croatia 4,490,751

Bosnia and Herzegovina 3,964,388

Bulgaria 7,621,337

Greece 10,645,343

Hungary 10,075,034

Montenegro 500,000

Republic of Macedonia 2,054,800

Romania 22,303,552

Serbia 7,780,000

Slovenia 1,932,917

total ~75M +- 200-300k

I don't know if you want Hungary to be include, and you have left Slovenia(ex-Yu) outside the circle. So in worst case it's a little more than 40M

I don't know if playing a mini-football game can improve the standard.

For example here in Ghana, their main game is soccer.

They block the minor roads just to play the game.

Whether it is tarred, grassy or rough they use them.

Whether they have a pumped ball, a loose one or a paper ball they play it.

They mostly play 2vs2 , 3vs3 4vs4 or more than that using small goal posts which I can hardly enter it by crawling.

Yet still the nation hasn't received many technically gifted players.

Premiership has a point -Its down to the coaching aspect and how they are trained.

The players in UK are taught the basics ie passing, one-two , give-and-go , running into space.

And that's what they apply.

Anything further and the coach isn't happy,he benches you.

I don't know if playing a mini-football game can improve the standard.

For example here in Ghana' date=' their main game is soccer.

They block the minor roads just to play the game.

Whether it is tarred, grassy or rough they use them.

Whether they have a pumped ball, a loose one or a paper ball they play it.

They mostly play 2vs2 , 3vs3 4vs4 or more than that using small goal posts which I can hardly enter it by crawling.

Yet still the nation hasn't received many technically gifted players.

Premiership has a point -Its down to the coaching aspect and how they are trained.

The players in UK are taught the basics ie passing, one-two , give-and-go , running into space.

And that's what they apply.

Anything further and the coach isn't happy,he benches you.[/quote']

If anyone was watching SSN on Monday at 7:30, they were having their usual argument about what is wrong with grassroots football. Trevor Brooking, Dan Rowan and Bert Jan Heijman were all on the show. Bert coaches up in Durham and his policy is Touch Touch Touch which is what the English players lack greatly: Touch and Technique. I am surprised players like Ronaldo and Nani, who do use this philosohpy, are not influencing young minds to play like this. I suppose it is the coaches who basically snub this kind of play labelling it girly or somthing. If they (coaches) look at the bigger picture they will see, in the past, and now, this sort of style has won nations and clubs a countless number of trophies so I don't think it should be overlooked, especially at the stage where our yuongsters, and senior players re letting us down.

Countries in small circle:

Albania 3' date='544,841

Croatia 4,490,751

Bosnia and Herzegovina 3,964,388

Bulgaria 7,621,337

Greece 10,645,343

Hungary 10,075,034

Montenegro 500,000

Republic of Macedonia 2,054,800

Romania 22,303,552

Serbia 7,780,000

Slovenia 1,932,917

total ~75M +- 200-300k

I don't know if you want Hungary to be include, and you have left Slovenia(ex-Yu) outside the circle. So in worst case it's a little more than 40M[/quote']

without hungary, so approx. 60M