How to succeed in an English championship:

My story so far by Joel McCluskey:

During the summer of 2007 I took upon a challenge to manage my childhood team of Leeds United in an English set-up on soccer manager….

I am going to speak of my success and of how you as other users of this game can follow the success I have experienced....

Now I hope that we can all agree that taking upon a side that have a team average of around 77 points and eventually having to take on teams with averages of middle 90’s is a daunting task.

BUT

This is how I have managed to succeed in doing so, first of all I choose Leeds for the obvious reason (my love for the team and supporters and the stadium e.t.c) but I was also financially wise and I feel this was the biggest ingredient to my success.

Leeds united’s stadium- Elland Road has a capacity of 42,000 seats therefore bringing in financial revenue on the game of around 1 million pounds per home game. This may not seem a lot, but for a manager who has an eye for talent and can be patient then this is a huge bonus.

At first the club kindly handed me 15.2 million pounds to spend, I felt that some players at the club who were coming to a sticky patch in their career could be afforded to sell and therefore with their profits and this cash I raised around 20 million pounds.

Now, 20 million pounds for a team that has players worth around 800k… Not a bad amount of financial revenue to increase the clubs power is it? So I took a little time and thought on whom to spend this fortune on, should I blow it on one world class play maker or one world class leader?

No! I invested in youth and ever since that decision my club has simply thrived I now have a squad worth over 233 million pounds which is a major threat to the division and will only get better.

Some of the buys which have contributed so much to my success was the obvious purchases that I feel so lucky to have obtained before they become the stars that they are today.

They are the likes of Pato, Bojan and Jermaine Jones along with Marilem Sulejmani, Stanislav Sestak and Giovanni dos Santos.

All of these players now worth millions I managed to obtain for no more than 2 million pounds each.

My Leeds were promoted the first season, and now into the championship division they are sitting 2nd in an automatic promotion seat 4 points above 3rd and with around 12 games left.

You see the key for an English championship is not to go for players rated 90+ and aged 30+ but to go for youth players that will bring you rewarding increases and financial profits beyond belief.

I feel that if you really want to succeed with a lower league team then you must have patience, spirit and most of all an eye for a bargain…

Re: How to succeed in an English championship:

During the summer of 2007 I took upon a challenge to manage my childhood team of Leeds United in an English set-up on soccer manager….

I am going to speak of my success and of how you as other users of this game can follow the success I have experienced....

Now I hope that we can all agree that taking upon a side that have a team average of around 77 points and eventually having to take on teams with averages of middle 90’s is a daunting task.

BUT

This is how I have managed to succeed in doing so' date=' first of all I choose Leeds for the obvious reason (my love for the team and supporters and the stadium e.t.c) but I was also financially wise and I feel this was the biggest ingredient to my success.

Leeds united’s stadium- Elland Road has a capacity of 42,000 seats therefore bringing in financial revenue on the game of around 1 million pounds per home game. This may not seem a lot, but for a manager who has an eye for talent and can be patient then this is a huge bonus.

At first the club kindly handed me 15.2 million pounds to spend, I felt that some players at the club who were coming to a sticky patch in their career could be afforded to sell and therefore with their profits and this cash I raised around 20 million pounds.

Now, 20 million pounds for a team that has players worth around 800k… Not a bad amount of financial revenue to increase the clubs power is it? So I took a little time and thought on whom to spend this fortune on, should I blow it on one world class play maker or one world class leader?

No! I invested in youth and ever since that decision my club has simply thrived I now have a squad worth over 233 million pounds which is a major threat to the division and will only get better.

Some of the buys which have contributed so much to my success was the obvious purchases that I feel so lucky to have obtained before they become the stars that they are today.

They are the likes of Pato, Bojan and Jermaine Jones along with Marilem Sulejmani, Stanislav Sestak and Giovanni dos Santos.

All of these players now worth millions I managed to obtain for no more than 2 million pounds each.

My Leeds were promoted the first season, and now into the championship division they are sitting 2nd in an automatic promotion seat 4 points above 3rd and with around 12 games left.

You see the key for an English championship is not to go for players rated 90+ and aged 30+ but to go for youth players that will bring you rewarding increases and financial profits beyond belief.

I feel that if you really want to succeed with a lower league team then you must have patience, spirit and most of all an eye for a bargain…

Thats a great job you did there mate.I am doind sorta the same thing with QPR.I bought a mainly youth players and some of them have gone up alot in ratings.

Adonis, that's good to see someone who can do that and actually make it work wonders.

I usually bring in a mix of experience and youth.

I'm my own childhood team too (Coventry) and I've bought a few older heads (Nuno Assis, Petkovic, Basma, Lino) and then the younger ones (Ramsey, Bostock, Scannell, Pato, Sturridge) but I've not yet been promoted.

I'm sitting in 8th place and quite a way behind, well, 8 points behind 3rd place with 10 games left, so it's unlikely this season that I will be going up, but there's always the next one.

Considering I started the season from scratch, and sold a lot of players, ie Tabb, Mifsud, Best, Marshall and Osbourne, which to be fair, didn't make much really, I was hoping I would get into or around 3rd/4th place with the new players I bought in.

Clearly it's not worked out that way, but as I say there's always next season.

I could maybe even make a late rally towards/into the top 3 if I won all of my remaining games. :rolleyes::eek:

:D

Good work Adonis!!

My Bristol City are in the English Shield Final in my first season, beating Chelsea, West Ham, Blackburn, Newcastle and Arsenal with Bolton in the final.

Bayal Sall, for £1.4m now and 88 player and a big talent in the midfield. Others such as Muratori, Harek and Gokhan all arrived for the three of them less than £1m. Grabbed Capel and Sektioui before there increases as well, bargains! Handanovic, Llorente, Jimenez and Cavenaghi also joined before they increased.

Now by P/E them out I have Marcellis, Hamsik, Lell, Schilder, Vela, Hart added to the already there Ben Arfa.. pleased with how I am doing :)

I also started a challenge with Leeds Utd and although I haven't been there long i already have a squad of 76 players and the squad is still growing. I think the way to succeed is to buy a mixture of older and younger players so you already have some depth while your waiting for players o get the rise. I already have 13 players 85+ and a decent wodge of money ready to spend on more talent. Here's my current team - http://www.soccermanager.com/profile.php?action=clubdetails&cid=267695&clubid=5320209&sid=7848

Great story though and I'll be repping you now

I started a challenge with Leeds, decided to only go for people that i think would rise, only got old players if i thought that there was no chance of decreases, and this is my squad:

http://www.soccermanager.com/profile.php?action=clubdetails&cid=382486&clubid=4194209&sid=6968

Top of the league by 17 points, 14 games to go, in the Semis of the cup, and Top of the best setup managers :D

• 1 month later...

CHAMPIONALY CHAMPIONALY

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

OLAY OLAY OLAY!!!!

Leeds United finished 1st In the championship to cap off a sublime season under classy young english manager Joel Mccluskey.

Mccluskey now believes after bringing his squad up to an average rating of 89 and an average age of an impressivly young 22 he can within a couple of seasons push for the premiership title.

Heres hoping....

I now have around 25 million to spend going into the premiership and my first big acquisition will be martin caceres. I cannot believe that I have bought several players that were rated around 73-76 and now are rated 88-90 ;)

• 1 month later...

Just to update I now have a team of 89 average aged 24.

I am 2nd in the premier league and cannot believe how good I am doing every day I get messages asking to manage other teams and other managers congratulate me I feel that my team really is achieving new heights :D:):D

This forum is the thing i mostly used-

You would be surprised how much people know on here...

Apart from that I did my own research in media reports and through fifa.com young tournaments e.t.c

worth all the brain power in the end though!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, how are you? I am not a soccer fan. But, I enjoy managing one. I have Fulham in my hand for 3 seasons now from English Champ.

I did not invest a lot in youth. All I did was the opposite of what you did. Simply taking too much time into investing which youth and can get increase in levels.

I took the shortcut by purchasing aged 30+ players and 90+ rated players. Yup. Soon, I reliazed that I will have to replace the old players though.

Feel free to check out my other forum.

Title: An impressive record from EC 256

Hi' date=' how are you? I am not a soccer fan. But, I enjoy managing one. I have Fulham in my hand for 3 seasons now from English Champ.

I did not invest a lot in youth. All I did was the opposite of what you did. Simply taking too much time into investing which youth and can get increase in levels.

I took the shortcut by purchasing aged 30+ players and 90+ rated players. Yup. Soon, I reliazed that I will have to replace the old players though.

Feel free to check out my other forum.

[b']Title: An impressive record from EC 256 [/b]

everybody learns from their mistakes :o

I feel that if you really want to succeed with a lower league team then you must have patience' date=' spirit and most of all an eye for a bargain…[/quote']

...and a big ground capacity! LOL!

If you had managed Yeovil or Boston you would find this would'nt be the case...lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have decided to invest more in youth by buying Jonny Evans and selling INZAGHI for 5Mils. Maybe selling PALERMO as well caused he is too old, aged 34. But, it will depend how the team work.

I would really like to maintain my winning strategy while changing all the oldies. Hopefully, I will not get relegated. GOod Luck All!!!

subscribing.

Hang on a minute' date=' Ive seen the name Joel McCluskey before somewhere....

By Adonis

BUT

This is how I have managed to succeed in doing so, first of all I choose Leeds for the obvious reason (my love for the team and supporters and the stadium e.t.c) but I was also financially wise and I feel this was the biggest ingredient to my success.

Does that mean that Joel McCluskey = Adonis??

...and a big ground capacity! LOL!

If you had managed Yeovil or Boston you would find this would'nt be the case...lol!

That's true. My Bradford is losing nearly a mil a match in wages. That being said' date=' I think it's probably a bit better than the Leeds in question :

Diego Lopez (89)

Bosingwa (92) - Pepe (92) - Garay (91) - A. Cole (92) [Grosso (92']

Makoun (91) - Gago (91)

Diego (94) - Diego Capel (89) [Walcott (88)]

Podolski (91) - Rossi (90)

That's true. My Bradford is losing nearly a mil a match in wages. That being said' date=' I think it's probably a bit better than the Leeds in question :

Diego Lopez (89)

Bosingwa (92) - Pepe (92) - Garay (91) - A. Cole (92) [Grosso (92']

Makoun (91) - Gago (91)

Diego (94) - Diego Capel (89) [Walcott (88)]

Podolski (91) - Rossi (90)

Give me time my friend i bet you have had longer ;)

• 1 month later...

i started with my local team Southampton, at first i bought 30 years+ 90ish rated players to get me promoted, then during the season i slowly phased them out and bought obvious risers e.g. mata defoe godin marcano ...

At the end of my first season there are 3 games left and i am 8 points clear scoring 100 goals in the process.

Currently my best player is Aquilani, but pre season im looking to invest in a world class young player dont know which one yet.