U-17 UEFA Championship

borogz

The UEFA U-17 Championship is coming up in Turkey on the 4 May and ending in the final on 16 May. There are 8 teams competing in the Finals.

France, Spain, Serbia, Netherlands, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Scotland and Turkey.

I just thought I would look at a few of the key players for each team.

There competing in two groups. With the top 2 teams from each group progressing to the Semi-Finals.

Group A.

Turkey

Netherlands

Scotland

Serbia

Group B.

France

Republic of Ireland

Spain

Switzerland

NOTE: I have tried my best to give credit to the people who have mentioned a player first, I am also not claiming to have found this players first this is just a guide to some of the key players for each team participating in the Finals.

Netherlands

Jeffrey Bruma

Mentioned by Ahmed. He was born on 13/11/1991 he currently plays for the Chelsea youth team. Though still a schoolboy, 16-year-old Jeffrey has played centre-back in every round in the FA Youth Cup and is the top appearance maker in the youth league. He has also made his first reserve start and helped the Dutch Under 17 by being the rock a rock in the defence. He signed a contract with Chelsea that will go through till 2011.

0,,10268~3463951,00.jpg

Geoffrey Castillion

He was mentioned by RBC but not in much detail. He was born on 11/01/1991. Currently playing in Ajax youth team though, He recently signed a new contract with Ajax, which takes effect on July 1, 2008 lasting until June 30, 2011. He was a shining light in the team. He almost guaranteed qualification for Netherlands by himself, scoring a total of 7 goals in just 6 games.

doelpunt.jpg

Rodney Sneijder

Ahemd was first to mention him and provided a report. He was born on born on the 31st of March ,1991. He is one of the most promising players of Ajax, brother of Wesley. He has renewed his contract with Ajax until the 30 June 2011. Within the U-17 national team he has been also been a key player along with Castillion, controlling the midfield for the team and scoring 1 goal in qualification.

Sneijder.jpg

Scotland Team

Archie Campbell

He was born 10/1/1991 and currently plays for Rangers Reserves/ U-19. He will be one to watch linking up well with Fleck when up front and managed to score 4 goals, including a hat-trick during qualification.

0,,5~3362649,00.jpg

John Fleck

He was first mention by Greig Spence. He was born August 24, 1991 in Glasgow is currently playing for Rangers. He is currently a regular in the Rangers Under 19 team. His youth, ability and physique has drawn similarities to Wayne Rooney in the media. Rangers have signed him to a professional contract. On August 25, 2007, Fleck who only had just turned 16 was included in the Rangers first team squad for a competitive match against Kilmarnock though he did not play. He made his competitive debut on the 23 January 2008 in the Scottish Cup game against East Stirling. Their has been interest in him from a host of top European clubs. During the qualification process for the Championship he captioned the Scotland side. He was instrumental in Scotland qualifying for the finals scoring three goals. He scored the decisive goal in the 1-0 over Slovenia that sent them to the finals.

He is on the database rated 68.

0,,5~3196784,00.jpg

Serbia Team

Predrag Stevanovic

Born on 09/03/1991 is a left winger, who only recently signed for FC Schalke 04. Scored 2 goals during qualification.

RTEmagicC_stevanovic_predrag.jpg.jpg

Adem Ljajic

Born on 29/09/1991, he is of Bosnian origin, he currently is signed to FK Partizan. He is tipped to go far, he has great pace and controls the ball extremely well. Along with Aleksic is a future star of the Serbia national team. During qualification he scored 1 goal.

There are a couple of vids on youtube showing his talent.

You tube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldr6OZMbQvg

Danijel Aleksic

First mention was by Smartdoc, Born on 30/04/1991 is the Captain of the Serbia U-17 team. He currently plays for FK Vojvodina. On the 5th May, 2007 he made his senior debut for FK Vojvodina against Red Star Belgrade. At only 16 years and 5 days he become the youngest player to appear in a Serbian Superliga match. During qualification he single handily led his team to qualification scoring a total of 7 goals to be a favourite for the golden boot award.

Currrently on the Database rated 75.

691704_mediumsquare.jpg

France Team

Enzo Reale

Born on October 7, 1991, He currently plays for Lyon U/16 as an attacking midfielder, is rather overshadowed by Clément Grenier but still has a lot of potential.

Gael Kakuta

First mentioned by R.B.C, he was born on June 21, 1991 he currently plays for the Chelsea youth team as an attacker midfielder playmaker, he moved to Chelsea from RC Lens when he was 15. He scored 2 decisive goals in France 3-1 victory of Russia. A key player in both Chelsea youth team and France U-17 is tipped for big things by both club and country. He managed to score 3 goals during qualification.

0,,10268~3415712,00.jpg

Gueida Fofana

Born on May 16 1991 he currently plays for Le Havre AC is the caption of the France U-17 team and scored 2 goals during qualification.

bec09a888ef2374651ff736148692d38.jpg

Clément Grenier

Born on January 7 1991, he currently plays on the right wing for U16 Lyon team aswell as the U-17 national team. He is yet to sign a professional contract for Lyon and Arsene Wenger and other top European clubs are keen to sign the young forward before he puts pen to paper at the french club. Obviously Lyon are keen to keep him and let him progress through there ranks as the like of Benzema and Ben Arfa have done. Labelled by observers as 'the new kaka' he will be one to watch out for. he has immense potential and is a great dribbler who is capable of amazing bursts of speed. But his best qualities are his creativity and finishing skills, which is why he's already been marked as a gem. He's also tall, at six feet, and with the proper development, he should grow into a strong player. He has scored 5 goals during qualification including a hatrick is the top scorer for the French side. Is the key player for me to watch out for in the French team.

1185.jpg

NEXT TEAMS COMING UP SOON

Re: U-17 UEFA Championship

Republic of Ireland

Gavin Gunning

Born 26th January 1991, Blackburn Rovers beat of number of clubs to his signature. He is a strong highly rated defender who has tremendous aerial ability. Currently playing at Blackburn’s Academy he has also made a number of appearances for their reserves side. Amazingly he is the leading goal scorer for the Ireland side during qualification with 3 goals, as a defender this is pretty impressive in 6 games.

0,,10303~3457321,00.jpg

Aaron Doran

Born 13th May 1991, He plays for the Blackburn Rovers Reserve team, and has represented Republic of Ireland at all youth team levels. He is a tricky yet strong winger who is also able to play further forward and has an eye for goal. He is strong and willing and a lovely ball player. He can deliver a superb cross in to the box, he has close control of the ball and plays quality football. He exerted a major influence on Ireland's progression from the first phase group, scoring against Denmark and creating endless scoring opportunities and even scoring one himself.

0,,10303~3457325,00.jpg

Spain Team

Ruben Molero Cortes

Born on 30th April 1991, He currently plays for Real Madrid’s youth team, he is a strong central defender and has been described as a future captain who has impressive self assurance. If Spain are going to win this again they will need him to be solid at the back.

610x.jpg

Thiago Alcantara

First mentioned by Ta' Ziyah-Doutie, He was born on 11th April, 1991, he currently plays for Barcelona B. He is the latest Barcelona prodigy behind a ever growing list of names. He plays an attacking Midfield role, his play is described as pure elegance, exerting excellent control particularly in one on one situations. He has debuted for the first in a semi final of the Copa de Catalunya, he came on as a replacement for Xavi. Though I do not think SM recognises this as an official tournament hence he is still to be added to the database. Thiago has attracted attention for other top clubs as he is still to sign a contract at Barcelona. He has been linked with AC Milan, Real Madrid but also Chelsea whom is farther as spoken to. He scored 3 goals during qualification and is defiantly one player the scouts will be watching closely.

thiagoalcantara.jpg

Daniel Pacheco

First mentioned by Playakid69. This 17 year old is currently signed to Liverpool FC, they signed him from the Barcelona youth setup just like Arsenal did with Cesc and Merida. He plays at Center Forward and is not afraid to have a strike at goal from 25 metres out. Garcia Pimienta the manager of the U-16’s said that he was a big loss for Barcelona a said that he was a quality goalscorer. He was their top goal scorer with 30 goals and had already played with the under 18’s during his time at Barcelona. The U-16’s coach put himinto the same mould as Thiago Alcantara and Gai Assulin. During qualification he managed to score 3 goals in 6 games.

Pacheco_53965d.jpg

Ruben Rochina

Born on 23 March 1991 who joined Barcelona after leaving from Valencia. He is a very good player who is not afraid to have a go from outside of the box, has scored a lot of spectatluar goals. Has been likend to Rivaldo in is style of play which is refreshing instead of the usual Kaka or Messi. Scored one goal during the qualification process but lead the team well.

There are a few videos showing his talent

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQi3cGR6v5k

Switzerland Team

René Borkovic

Born on the 21st April 1991, he currently plays for FC Zurich U21’s team and he is the Switzerland U-17 national keeper. In the final game and deciding game of qualification the Swiss keeper stood out as a one to watch. Not because of his saves but that he scored the winning goal in the 3rd minute of injury time to send Switzerland into the Finals.

Nassim Ben Khalifa

Born on 13/01/1992, he currently plays for FC Lausanne Sport. He scored some crucial goals during the qualification process managing to put 3 into the back of the net. Playing forward is one of the main outlets of the Swiss side.

TALLER ONE

DSC00103.JPG

Turkey Team

As hosts they get automatic qualification, so it was a tad more difficult.

Soner Aydogu

He was born on 5 January 1991 and currently plays for Gencleribligi youth team so far this season scored 12 goals for his team. He current contract runs with the club until 31 may 2010.

Cem Sultan

He was born on 27 February 1991 he currently plays for

Galatasaray A.S. will be one to watch for. Currently his contract runs out on 31 May 2008, he has a keen eye for goal scoring 16 goals in 48 appearances for the youth team

48666.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would bring this thread back up seeing how the comp starts in only a few days time.

This tournament is a great indicator as to future success, with past player of the tournament being:

2007: Bojan Krkić

2006: Toni Kroos

2005: Nuri Şahin

2004: Cesc Fabregas

2003: David Rodríguez

2002: Wayne Rooney

So apart from David Rodriguez, they have all gone to create a name for themselves. (some more so then others)

Two stars for France tonight:

Yannis Tafer

Was born on 11/02/1991 he currently plays for the Lyon U16 youth team along with team mates enzo, Grenier and Lacazette, his position is striker. Playing the first game against Republic of Ireland, he came up with the equaliser in the 65 minute to get France right back into the game.

1203.jpg

Alexandre Lacazette

Was born on 28/05/91 so he is still 16 came on as sub for Sunu in the 59 minute (u-17 only play 80 min games dunno why) he currently plays for the U-16 Lyon team as striker, with the game balanced at 1-1 and looked likely to go to a draw he popped up to drive home a long-range shot in the final minute to earn France an opening-day victory against Republic of Ireland.

1191.jpg

In the other game of the night Serbia vs Scotland, Aleksic scored two goals and was a clear man of the match in Serbia 2-0 win over Scotland, the first goal was a stunning overhead volley! To Scotlands credit they did try hard with John Fleck have a couple of opportunities but nothing came off for them tonight. Aleksic is my tip for the golden boot winner!

So apart from David Rodriguez' date=' they have all gone to create a name for themselves. (some more so then others)[/quote']

I feel David Rodriguez still could make a name for himself and there is no doubt he has talent. The only problem I'd say is he may have left it too late now. He is playing for UD Salamanca in Segunda División of Spain. He has had a good season (24 starts, 7 subs, 11 goals) and i feel if he gets a move into the La Liga in the summer he could still be a great hit. I see no-reason why he won't hit 10-20 goals a season in La Liga from what I've seen of him. Believe me he still could be a hit!

BTW, what's you opinion of Sergi. I feel he was unlucky not to get a hatrick in Spain's game.

BTW' date=' what's you opinion of Sergi. I feel he was unlucky not to get a hatrick in Spain's game.[/quote']

David Rodriguez has talent which has been recognised at youth level at numerous copms and could defiantly still make a name for himself. As you say he might have just left it to late to make his push to the big time. Hopefully he gets a move to La Liga in the summer.

Sergi

Sergi who is contracted to Valenica played his first game for the U-17 team the other day! he was called up due to Ruben being suspened and as there was a few injuries to the team. His first goal was fired in from close range, and the second was put in after a bit of confusion in the box. He was quite close to getting a hatrick and prob deserved another goal in the end. Having not been in the original team he might just have confirmed a place in the team for the rest of spain's time in the comp.

691708_mediumsquare.jpg

Conor Clifford

He was born on 1/10/1991 is the captain of the Republic of Ireland team. He is a gifted midfielder with an array of passing abilities within his armoury. He was awarded the FAI under - 16 player of the year last seasons for his displays while captaining his country. Along with Gavin Gunning has been called up to play with the Under -18 on some occasions. He is currently contracted to Chelsea and plays for their Academy side.

Nice.. I like this thread. I hope, as all of us, that you can keep us posted on what's happenind around in the championship. I was just wondering, does anyone know any website that posts/talks about this kind of competitions? U-XX competitions? I mean, scores, stats, and all those kind of things?

Thanks !

Turkey always do well in the U-17. I'm sure that they'll succeed again. I'm cheering for them and think that they have the talent to do it.

Turkey played well for their 3-0 win over Netherlands, they have set a high standard to keep up to and could defiantly win it.

Currently there are only 2 players on the Database:

John Fleck

Born: 24 August 1991

Nationality: Scottish

Position: Attacking Midfield/Striker (AM/F)

Foot: Right

Rating: 68

Danijel Aleksic

Born: 30 April 1991

Nationality: Serbian

Position: Striker (F)

Rating: 75

In future i will put on there if there are in the DB or not.:P

Turkey played well for their 3-0 win over Netherlands' date=' they have set a high standard to keep up to and could defiantly win it.[/quote']

That's the problem, they've got a reputation to maintain. Still this just shows that Turkey's future players will be very good. Did Arda play for the U-17 turkish squad?

Conor Clifford

He was born on 1/10/1991 is the captain of the Republic of Ireland team. He is a gifted midfielder with an array of passing abilities within his armoury. He was awarded the FAI under - 16 player of the year last seasons for his displays while captaining his country. Along with Gavin Gunning has been called up to play with the Under -18 on some occasions. He is currently contracted to Chelsea and plays for their Academy side.

Conor is going to be a big star in the future..

What do you think about Gilles Sunu? In SM he's already in the database:

Gilles SUNU

Real Club: Arsenal

Born: 30 March 1991

Nationality: French

Position: Striker (F)

Rating: 60

Sunu played 59 minutes being subbed for the eventual hero for France Lacazette, but during his time on the field he did have a couple of attempts on goal and seemed an outlet for france up front but failed to make any attempts count. He played well though, so will keep an eye on him in the game tonight.