Basic Structure of a Squad

I would like to know what does the basic structure of a squad look like? For example mine is:

2 G

4 CB

2 RB + LB

4 CM

3 W + RM + LM

4 F + CF

I wonder this is a "healthy" squad since I am rarely struggling between cup and league matches.. HOWEVER, this is due to the fact that I am lucky enough to have little injuries (worst injury = david villa 8 day injury). If i were to have 3 or 4 suspensions or injuries at one time will I be doomed? I want to know which area i can improve on so that i can face such injuries.

Guest Sir Alex Edwards

Re: Basic Structure of a Squad

Ideally i'd say you should be laughing if you had a squad like this:

min 2 GK, ideally 3

2 RB & 2 LB

4 or 5 CB

4 central mids (+ 1 defensive & attacking ideally)

3 W & RM & LM

4 or 5 forwards

However, you can still manage a team that doesn't have this many players. First thing I would do is strengthen the first team then strengthen the subs if I have the money. Managing a team with not as many players brings forward different skills in managers and a variety of approaches. Some for example may play pretty much the same "best" players on their team match after match, whether they get a lot of fatigue or not as much. Others however are much more conservative and will play a player for a few games, rest them for the following game and so on. I would rather use this method, after all you don't always need to play your "best" players game-in game-out!

"Sir" Alex Edwards :D

first decide if you are going for the cups i do not as they are a waste of time all that hassle for 5 mill :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if you are just split your squad in to two teams 1st team and reserve team which is really your cup team and some youth if you lose guys from your 1st team use your reserves(CUP TEAM) to fill in and support your reseves(CUP TEAM) with your youth ;) ;) then just upgrade as you go :D as this will show you where your weakness is

GOOD LUCK

2 - Goalkeepers - 1 first teamer and 1 youth goalkeeper.

4 - Center Backs - All about the same rating.

2 - Right Backs - One first teamer and then a reserve around 2 rating points less.

2 - Left Backs - One first teamer and then a reserve around 2 rating points less.

5 - Center Midfielders - 3 CM's all around the same rating and then a AM and a DM.

4 - Wide players - I usually try to have one RM, one LM and two wingers.

4 - Forwards - Two to play regulary and then two reserves.

And if you have a decent youth squad to go along with this then you have a good depth in your squad. This is especially needed in GC's. :)

ill only list my one squad as i have that pretty much how i want it already and im still building my other teams, anyway before i list my structure ill give you a tip to bulk up your squad nicely for cup games, go to setup > transfers > search and search for players in the positions you need who are extremely old for footie players e.g age 34+, you can pick up highly rated older players for extremely cheap prices (under 2mil for 89 rated striker etc..) and i bulked up my one squad with another goalie/2 strikers and a few midfielders this way, i usually exclusively use them for cup games but they are also cover if needed.

anyway my fc schalke team is set up as:

3 GK (highly rated/cover/youth)

2 RB (highly rated/cover)

2 LB (highly rated/cover)

3 CB (highly rated/cover/cover)

1 Defence (highly rated cover for anywhere in defence)

2 DM (highly rated/cover)

4 CM (2 highly rated/ 2 cover)

4 Winger (2 highly rated/ 2 cover)

2 F (both cover at the moment but i will be selling one for cash and buying a highly rated one within next day or so)

3 CF (all highly rated)

i also have 7 players in youth squad for future prospects.

note: cover is slightly less rated then my highly rated players, usually by 1 point or so in rating points.

i find a big squad is essential to challenge in all competitions. thats why i laugh when i see someone has traded and sold most of their old squad to bring in a few highly rated players and end up with only like 12 players in their first team all extremely highly rated but have no cover or depth whatsoever.

hello

i agree with this post from alex , but i dont have that much interest in Wingers , so i buy LM/CM 2 RM/CM 2 and 2 F/W

but i agree that we should have at least double of every position

thanks

Ideally i'd say you should be laughing if you had a squad like this:

min 2 GK' date=' ideally 3

2 RB & 2 LB

4 or 5 CB

4 central mids (+ 1 defensive & attacking ideally)

3 W & RM & LM

4 or 5 forwards

However, you can still manage a team that doesn't have this many players. First thing I would do is strengthen the first team then strengthen the subs if I have the money. Managing a team with not as many players brings forward different skills in managers and a variety of approaches. Some for example may play pretty much the same "best" players on their team match after match, whether they get a lot of fatigue or not as much. Others however are much more conservative and will play a player for a few games, rest them for the following game and so on. I would rather use this method, after all you don't always need to play your "best" players game-in game-out!

"Sir" Alex Edwards :D[/quote']

I would like to talk about a real life example, Man Utd.

During the 1 year injury of Gary Neville, Wes Brown (supposedly a CB) played RB because Utd did not have any other RBs. They still managed to do well didnt they? Also, Utd has Rooney, Tevez, Saha (and Dong FangZhuo..) But they still managed to hang on when Rooney is injured by playing Saha or even Tevez lone striker. Wingers isnt much of a problem as they had C Ron, Giggs, Nani, Park (4 Wingers) but sometimes you do see Rooney and Saha getting moved to the flanks. As for LB, theres only Evra. Imagine Evra and Neville gets injured at the same time. O Shea to replace Evra would be the best choice available isnt it?

Of course, all this would not be made possible if Sir Alex Ferguson did not make any tactical changes (sticking with 4-4-2). So basically, my point is.. If your players are injured, will it be a better idea to make tactical changes to fit the players or to change the players to fit the same tactic you normally use? To me, I think both are possible but the former is cheaper. Opinions?

Nice thread:)

I like to have 2 players for each position(Primary Position)

I don't usually go 4 the cups so I play my second team in them.

I would also recommend buying Wingers instead of LM or RM or atleast have 2 wingers. If you have 2 LM's and 2 RM's and let's say both LM's get injured then you are in a fix.

On SM atm one goalkeeper is good enough. I only have one goalkeeper in most of the squads.

Also it helps to know which is your preferred formation. I for one change my formation according to the opponents tactics. The reason why this is important is because if you play a 4-4-2 you require only 2 midfielders but when you play a 3-5-2 you require 3 midfielders.

My Ideal squad-

1 x G

2 x RB

2 x LB

4-5 x CB

4 x W

2 x CM

2 x DM

2 x AM

2 x F

2 x CF

This increases the wages but for me it's ideal situation.

Don't GKs get injured? If they wont then im going to sell my 2nd keeper =). Secondly, why is there a need for 2CM, 2DM and 2AM? I (And i think most people) will prefer having 3-4CM, 1AM and 1DM isnt it? Since there are many CMs with CM/DM or CM/AM..

I also want to ask.. is there such a great difference between CF and F? I have heard people saying CF scores more than F but in one of my setups, Top goal scorers: Totti, Villa, Van Persie then followed by a chain of CFs.. Is there really such a distinct difference? Because normally I play Adebayor and use Anelka when Adebayor's condition isnt really high.. about 80%

Don't GKs get injured? If they wont then im going to sell my 2nd keeper =).

No! Goalkeepers do not get injured so it's better to sell them!

Secondly' date=' why is there a need for 2CM, 2DM and 2AM? I (And i think most people) will prefer having 3-4CM, 1AM and 1DM isnt it? Since there are many CMs with CM/DM or CM/AM.[/quote']

First of all you have got it wrong! Whether it's a CM or a CM/DM or a CM/AM they are all actually CM's and players normally don't play well in their secondary position. Secondly as I said I normally love to have 2 of each as I change my formations almost during every match so some formations require DM's and some require AM's.

I also want to ask.. is there such a great difference between CF and F? I have heard people saying CF scores more than F but in one of my setups' date=' Top goal scorers: Totti, Villa, Van Persie then followed by a chain of CFs.. Is there really such a distinct difference? Because normally I play Adebayor and use Anelka when Adebayor's condition isnt really high.. about 80%[/quote']

Whilst I have played SM I haven't really found any difference between a F and CF as far as scoring is concerned but what I have found out is that a CF does not play that well against a CF and same for F. A CF and a F make great combinations. Ex- I played Klose and Rooney together upfront and as a result both of them usually got ratings of 8-9 but when I played Klose and Gomez they only got 6-7.:)

My squad currently consists of

3 GKs (injuries can happen e.g. Peter Cech)

2 LBs

4 RBs (gunna get rid of a couple for better players)

4 CBs

2 LMs

3 DMs

1 RM (gunna get another with the money from the RBs)

2 AMs

2 CFs

almost all my players are capable of playing multiple positions but ive only listed what i use them as. because i mainly use a 4-4-2 diamond i have no use for CMs