Save as draft prior to posting

This idea is more just for the forum (sry if it's the wrong section :o ).

Sometimes when you are in the middle of writing/composing a detailed message with images etc. you get disturbed halfway (eg. boss comes in :D , missus starts moaning you aren't paying enough attention to her :P , you have to go out) and sometimes have to abandon the post after having put a lot of work into it. Other times you've written a large post only for the message to not submit or your computer crashes or something.

In both these cases, if you had the oppurtunity to save the message as a draft, you could save it as your going along and then post it when you are complete. That way you don't lose your hard work.

I've seen this work in other computer forums (e.g. EASE for those of us attending/who have attended Uni) and I believe it could work here. Being a bit computer illiterate I'm not sure if it would slow the forum down but can't see that it would. Certainly would encourage people like me, who have limited time to squeeze messages in to post more match reports etc. :)

Re: Save as draft prior to posting

Sometimes when you are in the middle of writing/composing a detailed message with images etc. you get disturbed halfway (eg. boss comes in :D ' date=' missus starts moaning you aren't paying enough attention to her :P , you have to go out) and sometimes have to abandon the post after having put a lot of work into it. Other times you've written a large post only for the message to not submit or your computer crashes or something.

In both these cases, if you had the oppurtunity to save the message as a draft, you could save it as your going along and then post it when you are complete. That way you don't lose your hard work.

I've seen this work in other computer forums (e.g. EASE for those of us attending/who have attended Uni) and I believe it could work here. Being a bit computer illiterate I'm not sure if it would slow the forum down but can't see that it would. Certainly would encourage people like me, who have limited time to squeeze messages in to post more match reports etc. :)[/quote']

Good idea, but what's wrong with a quick copy+paste into Word/Notepad? :)

Good idea' date=' but what's wrong with a quick copy+paste into Word/Notepad? :)[/quote']

lol, very good point :o . I guess I'm just used to this saving as a draft thing. Plus I've got a laptop where I've removed all programs apart from a few footie games and internet explorer (my gaming laptop :D ). Can't remember if I still have word/notepad on it :confused:

I can actually contradict myself here. Thought of something after posting. :o It can get messy having files such as 'Post' and 'Post 1' and 'Post 1 and a bit' clogging up your folders. So the only advantage I can see is that it saves some RAM on your PC/lappy.

On the other hand, SM's slow enough as it is ( :P ) and all these drafts on the cache wouldn't help the speed much. :rolleyes:

Would be a nice addition but how would it work?? Would you have a button when making a post or thread which you can just press saying 'save' or something and then when you want it back, you start making a post or thread and click a button which says 'restore' or something?? And then it appears.

If so that would be great as it would be very quick although there would be no point in SM doing this if it was going to be something slow which you would have to save or something which would take a minute or something, because you could just as easily save it on a word document in that time. But if it was quick and a one button press i am all for in.

Great idea. :)

Would be a nice addition but how would it work?? Would you have a button when making a post or thread which you can just press saying 'save' or something and then when you want it back' date=' you start making a post or thread and click a button which says 'restore' or something?? And then it appears.

If so that would be great as it would be very quick although there would be no point in SM doing this if it was going to be something slow which you would have to save or something which would take a minute or something, because you could just as easily save it on a word document in that time. But if it was quick and a one button press i am all for in.

Great idea. :)[/quote']

Yes, in systems where I've seen it work, there's simply a button to say 'Save as Draft'. You can then reactivate the message through a button labelled view drafts from your profile.

However, I will bow down to Lee's superor knowledge of computers and as he feels it would slow the forum down further, then it is not a good idea :( . Maybe if we limited it to 2 drafts per profile it might work, especially as I guess not many would use it anyway :confused:

However' date=' I will bow down to Lee's superor knowledge of computers and as he feels it would slow the forum down further, then it is not a good idea :( . Maybe if we limited it to 2 drafts per profile it might work, especially as I guess not many would use it anyway :confused:[/quote']

Like you said only very few people would use it, and usually the same people every time. And the only time i can really see it being used is in Scouting posts or end of season reports in a setup and i for one could well be doing both. As i am trying to get into the art of scouting. ;)

Anyway weather it does or does not happen i love the idea. ;)

Sometimes when you are in the middle of writing/composing a detailed message with images etc. you get disturbed halfway (eg. boss comes in :D ' date=' missus starts moaning you aren't paying enough attention to her :P , you have to go out) and sometimes have to abandon the post after having put a lot of work into it. Other times you've written a large post only for the message to not submit or your computer crashes or something.

I've seen this work in other computer forums (e.g. EASE for those of us attending/who have attended Uni) and I believe it could work here. Being a bit computer illiterate I'm not sure if it would slow the forum down but can't see that it would. Certainly would encourage people like me, who have limited time to squeeze messages in to post more match reports etc. :)[/quote']

Super idea and I'd love it as I take ages to do reports and somtimes I have to go off half way through which is very annoying.

Good idea' date=' but what's wrong with a quick copy+paste into Word/Notepad? :)[/quote']

It can get a bit messed up and when you put it back onto SM you have to toggle around with it so it comes back to normal EG if you have stuff centre justified, or have IMG codes etc they sometimes go all over the place in MS word and you would have to fix it on here which can be a pain.

Good Idea I Often Have To Open 3/4 Threads & SM For Some of My GC-9 Posts.

Which Cause Be To X Off Certain Threads By Accident As I Did Other Day :rolleyes:

Also When Im Writing Some Posts, I Also Use Micro Word To Save As I Go.

But Having Something On The Forum Would Be Usefull But Not Entirly Necessary As Using Word Ect is Just As Easy.

Edit: Never Had Problim With Stuff Been Messed Up On Word r Anytin

Guest melbguy1

I Dont Fink Sm Wrote The Forum Program, I Fink It Is Freeware Or SomeFing Like That. So Unless The Actuall Program Supports It I Dont Fink There Is Anything That Sm Can Do About it. Although It Is A Goods Idea

(Wording Inspired By Shelbourne FC):rolleyes:

I Dont Fink Sm Wrote The Forum Program' date=' I Fink It Is Freeware Or SomeFing Like That. So Unless The Actuall Program Supports It I Dont Fink There Is Anything That Sm Can Do About it. Although It Is A Goods Idea

(Wording Inspired By Shelbourne FC):rolleyes:[/quote']

Fink

I Spell Think' date=' Think Not Fink-[/color']

Sm

I Capatalise The S & M IN SM

It Is A Goods Idea

It's A Good Idea

This Forum Is Vbullitin Isient It? Anyway If Ya Wna Be Like Me Act Like Me, You Gota Type Like Me.

Getting There Tough ;)

Join The Shelbourne Appriciation Society Today, Just Call Capital "S" Today On 818 818 818 :rolleyes: For A Free PM/Instruction Class

:eek: Rumor Is Circulating That Shels Uses Sublimimal Codes On His Posts To Achieive More Rep Points :eek:

For This Inscruction Manual Just Quote Me & See If it Works :D

• 1 month later...

I Spell Think' date=' Think Not Fink-[/color']

I Capatalise The S & M IN SM

It's A Good Idea

This Forum Is Vbullitin Isient It? Anyway If Ya Wna Be Like Me Act Like Me, You Gota Type Like Me.

Getting There Tough ;)

Join The Shelbourne Appriciation Society Today, Just Call Capital "S" Today On 818 818 818 :rolleyes: For A Free PM/Instruction Class

:eek: Rumor Is Circulating That Shels Uses Sublimimal Codes On His Posts To Achieive More Rep Points :eek:

For This Inscruction Manual Just Quote Me & See If it Works :D

alright Shel it isnt a spelling lesson. But i will take that Instruction Class :D

Back to the save as drafts, would it be a good idea to instead of saving it on the SM cache, why not have a bottun where it email you the post?