Riddles

• 2 months later...

Re: Riddles

Bumpety bumpety bump

Have a guess at these:

There is a rooster. Every morning at sunrise this rooster stands on a fence which separates two gardens. If this rooster were to lay an egg, to which garden would it belong to?

On the edge of the street lives a poor man. Next door to him lives a rich man. the poor man's house catches fire and this fire spreads to the rich man's house. They are both stuck inside their houses. Who will the ambulance people save first?

In a town there are two barbers who are on the same street and on is facing the other (so one on one side on the road, the other directly opposite). They are the only two barbers in the town. One of them has very clean, well cut hair whereas the other has messy, long hair. Which one will you go to?

In a lake there are an x number of fish. Every day the number of fish doubles. After thirty days there are y fish. On which day were there half that number? (easy IMO)

There is a worm, and a 10 metre high wall. Every day the worm climbs three metres and in the night it slides down two metres. On which day will the worm reach the top?

There are two sons and two fathers. They all go fishing. Each one catches a fish but only three fishes are caught. How is this so?

He's a father's son but not a brother. Who is he?

There are seven balls, all identical in every way. However one of the balls in slightly heavier than the others. It cannot be identified simply by holding the balls ad comparing. You are given a weighing scale (the one with two scales on each side) and are given two chances to find the heavier ball. You can put as many balls on the scale as you wish, but how will you find out which of the eight balls is the heavier?

Bumpety bumpety bump

Have a guess at these:

There is a rooster. Every morning at sunrise this rooster stands on a fence which separates two gardens. If this rooster were to lay an egg' date=' to which garden would it belong to?

On the edge of the street lives a poor man. Next door to him lives a rich man. the poor man's house catches fire and this fire spreads to the rich man's house. They are both stuck inside their houses. Who will the ambulance people save first?

In a town there are two barbers who are on the same street and on is facing the other (so one on one side on the road, the other directly opposite). They are the only two barbers in the town. One of them has very clean, well cut hair whereas the other has messy, long hair. Which one will you go to?

In a lake there are an [i']x[/i] number of fish. Every day the number of fish doubles. After thirty days there are y fish. On which day were there half that number? (easy IMO)

There is a worm, and a 10 metre high wall. Every day the worm climbs three metres and in the night it slides down two metres. On which day will the worm reach the top?

There are two sons and two fathers. They all go fishing. Each one catches a fish but only three fishes are caught. How is this so?

There are seven balls, all identical in every way. However one of the balls in slightly heavier than the others. It cannot be identified simply by holding the balls ad comparing. You are given a weighing scale (the one with two scales on each side) and are given two chances to find the heavier ball. You can put as many balls on the scale as you wish, but how will you find out which of the eight balls is the heavier?

a) The one the egg lands in

B) The poor man's, as the fire started at his house

c) It would depend on what side of the road you're walking on?

d) 15th?

e) Day 9

f) One of them released a fish which the other caught

g) He's the step-brother

h) By putting four on each scale

a) The one the egg lands in

B) The poor man's' date=' as the fire started at his house

c) It would depend on what side of the road you're walking on?

d) 15th?

e) Day 9

f) One of them released a fish which the other caught

g) He's the step-brother

h) By putting four on each scale[/quote']

All wrong.

I'm surprised you got d and e wrong it just takes a little intelligence to work out. The others are much harder and the first two require more common sence than knowledge.

If nowt of youse can get it right by 1:30pm I'll post the answers on here.

Bumpety bumpety bump

Have a guess at these:

There is a rooster. Every morning at sunrise this rooster stands on a fence which separates two gardens. If this rooster were to lay an egg' date=' to which garden would it belong to?

[b']Neither. Surely the egg would belong to the Rooster not the garden :confused: [/b]

It doesn't matter. By the way the question is worded it is obvious they are both saved. "..lives a poor man...", "next door to him Lives a rich man..."

Does it matter what kind of hair the Barber has? As long as he does a good job on my hair. That's all I'm worried about.

In a lake there are an x number of fish. Every day the number of fish doubles. After thirty days there are y fish. On which day were there half that number? (easy IMO)

easy peasy lemon squeezy 29

About 8

It could be 2 things:

a. There are 2 sons but only 1 farther. The farther is a farther to 2 kids... if that makes sense.

b. They are playing a game catch with the fishes they caught?

A Farther's son who is not a brother

By weighing it :confused: You've got a scale so just use that like B)

Answers in BOLD

Bumpety bumpety bump

Have a guess at these:

[b']Roosters don't lay eggs [/b]

Dont firemen resuce people from burning houses

Logic - hard to cut your own hair... so the long messy hair was cut by the neat hair-cut barber and the 'neat' hair cut must have been done by the long messy haired barber :confused: so i'd go the the barber with the long messy hair

29 :rolleyes:

only 3 people.. a father (person a) and his son(person B) and person b's son (person c)

So fathers are A+B Sons are B+C

Fathers son - only child ?

this one confussed me first 7 balls then 8 balls :confused:

weigh 3 on both sides, if both the same the unweighed ball is heavier.. if different the weigh 2 of the 3 balls from the heavier side, if they are the same weight then unweighed is heavier, if not the same then its the heavier ball on the scales

My guesses in Bold

Here are the answers!!

There is a rooster. Every morning at sunrise this rooster stands on a fence which separates two gardens. If this rooster were to lay an egg, to which garden would it belong to?

Well roosters don't lay eggs so neither

Well that is the job of the firefighters not the ambulance people so neither.

The answer is the guy with the messy hair because if everyone cuts there hair at either his or the guy with the clean hair ( I said there were only two barbers in town), then the guy with the messy hair obviously gives the other barber a hair cut and vice-versa

Yes Ben's answer of 29 is correct because it would have been half the amount the day before

Yes it is 8 and I'll show you why:

Day 1: 3-2=1

Day 2: (1+3)-2=2

Day 3: (2+3)-2=3

Day 4: (3+3)-2=4

Day 5: (4+3)-2=5

Day 6: (5+3)-2=6

Day 7: (6+3)-2=7

Day 8: 7+3=10

It won't slide down then because at the end of the day it would have reached the top.

There are only three people there in the first place. One of the fathers is a son to the other father so he constitutes to a son as well as a father. Obviously he has two sons of his own. I think you tried to say that ben but I didn't understand what it was you meant.

He is you! You are your father's son but you are not your brother, are you?

This is how it works:

Put the balls into three groups, so you have two groups of three and one group of two. You then compare the two groups of three. If one group of three is heavier then simply take two of that three and compare them. It'll be obvious which is the heavier in this instance because if you take any two of the three, you'll either pick the heavier and lighter one, or pick the two lighter ones. Either way you'll find the heavier one.

If, however, both groups of three weigh the same, simply take the group of two and weigh each ball to find the heavier one. Note I have only used two tries in each so no cheating.

Ok a few mixed difficulty..

1- Decapitate it and it becomes equal. Then truncate it and It comes second. Cut it front and back and It becomes two less than It started.

What is it?

2- On the edge of a lake, there is an elephant. in the middle of the lake is an island, on the island there is a peanut tree. The elephant really wants the peanuts, but he is too heavy for a boat, can't swim, there is no bridge, his trunk isn't long enough to reach, the island is too wide to jump across to, too deep to walk across . How does the elephant get to the peanut tree?

3- Not alive, but grows; No lungs, but needs air; doesn't have a mouth, and water kills. What am I?

4- there are three oranges on a table and i take away two, how many will i have?

5- A murderer is sentenced to death. He has to choose between three rooms. Room 1 is full of burning fires, Room 2 is packed with assassins with loaded guns, and room 3 is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

Answers on a postcard...

1- Decapitate it and it becomes equal. Then truncate it and It comes second. Cut it front and back and It becomes two less than It started.

What is it?

no idea

2- On the edge of a lake' date=' there is an elephant. in the middle of the lake is an island, on the island there is a peanut tree. The elephant really wants the peanuts, but he is too heavy for a boat, can't swim, there is no bridge, his trunk isn't long enough to reach, the island is too wide to jump across to, too deep to walk across . How does the elephant get to the peanut tree?

[b']

Flies using flappy ears?

[/b]

3- Not alive, but grows; No lungs, but needs air; doesn't have a mouth, and water kills. What am I?

Fire

4- there are three oranges on a table and i take away two, how many will i have?

No Idea

5- A murderer is sentenced to death. He has to choose between three rooms. Room 1 is full of burning fires, Room 2 is packed with assassins with loaded guns, and room 3 is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

The third because the lions would have died of starvation

Answers on a postcard...

answers in bold

What is it?

2- On the edge of a lake' date=' there is an elephant. in the middle of the lake is an island, on the island there is a peanut tree. The elephant really wants the peanuts, but he is too heavy for a boat, can't swim, there is no bridge, his trunk isn't long enough to reach, the island is too wide to jump across to, too deep to walk across . How does the elephant get to the peanut tree?

Answers on a postcard...[/quote']

4. Is One

5 Is Room One Because 2 He Will Be Shot And 3 He Will Been Eaten.

Answer time

What is it?

It is Seven

2- On the edge of a lake, there is an elephant. in the middle of the lake is an island, on the island there is a peanut tree. The elephant really wants the peanuts, but he is too heavy for a boat, can't swim, there is no bridge, his trunk isn't long enough to reach, the island is too wide to jump across to, too deep to walk across . How does the elephant get to the peanut tree?

Whats a peanut tree :P

Fire

I have 2 ;)

Room 3, have you tried not eating in 3 years it'll kill you, so its very safe there

A man and a woman were driving in their car when it broke down. The man decided to go for help at a gas station a few miles back. He made sure nobody was in the car, rolled all the windows up, and locked all of the sedan’s doors. He went off, but when he came back, his wife was dead, and there was a stranger in the car. No physical damage was done to the car, so how did the stranger get in?

The stranger was already in the car.

A girl was found dead in her room, bloods on the floor, there's a hole in her head, and she was holding a gun, and beside her is a recorder. The investigator picked it up and played it right away, he heard a girl's voice, she's saying some reason why is she committing suicide, and then he heard the gunshot.

is it a suicide or a murder?Give a reason to your answer

I'm guessing it's a murder, as otherwise the recorder couldn't have been stopped. It's the only thing I can think of.

If you had one match and you entered a room where there was a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a candle, which would you light first?

A candle, as it's the only thing that needs a match (I think)

A man kills his wife and many people watch him kill her. Why is he not charged for murder.

He has got a licence from the queen. Or is James Bond, in an evil way. Or maybe he's in control of the police? Or an evil megloamaniac.

He who has it doesn't tell it. He who takes it doesn't know it. He who knows it doesn't want it. What is it?

The answer to a riddle that is too confusing for this time of night :(