Europe v S. America v Africa

Traditionally Europe and S. America have produced all of the players who have graced this wonderful game. We all have our favourites, but the vast majority are S. American or European. However, the mid 90s to the present day has seen a major football boom worldwide and great talents are being produced by all sorts of countries.

Central America, N. America and Asia have all produced talents, but I'm sure no-one will argue that the African continent has come closest to reaching the exploits of Europe and S. America. There is no doubt that the depth of talent in Europe and S. America is still far greater than that in Africa. However, I wonder how the three continents would fare if we were to have a mini-tournament between the 3. I've chosen the best sides according to SM (near enough) and I'm sure a few people will say that these are not necessarily the best sides to represent the continents but I would say they are not far off. Also some players are interchangeable (e.g Europe Goalie could easily have been Buffon, Casillas or Cech), so you can decide your own. Anyway the teams for our make-believe tournament are:

Europe

.............................Buffon..............................

Ramos..........Puyol...........Cannavarro.......Abidal

....................Xavi............Pirlo........................

.........Ronaldo..........................Gerrard............

.................Ibrahimovic.......Rooney...................

S. America

..........................Julio Cesar............................

......Maicon..........Cordoba..............Zanetti..........

................Mascherano........Cambiasso................

....Robinho...............Kaka..................Diego..........

..................Messi................Ronaldinho.............

Africa

............................Kameni...............................

........Eboue...........K Toure.............Yobo.............

Essien........Diarra...........Yaya Toure........S. Keita

........Kanoute.........Drogba...........Eto'o..............

I know some of the formations are overly attacking/defensive but who do you believe would win this hypothetical tournament? Possibly Europe have the edge, but certainly none of the teams would be overwhelming outclassed. Africa certainly have caught up the big two continents and it will be interesting to see how the teams shape up in 3-4 years time. Could Africa possibly overtake the other two? The talent is certainly now being nurtured well and possibly some organisation is all that is required. :)