Guest SM Dev (Ste)

Stadium Building

Re: Stadium Building

Does anyone really know who gets an increase, in what setups and by how much? I think that people who manage small or mediocre teams are getting ever more frustrarted on this subject. A while back I have sent a ticket to SM about the subject, even suggesting a solution which I think won't be difficult to be implemended. This is the ticket:

You said: 2008-05-10 08:58:21

Is stadium buiding limited to the English championships and Gold setups or is it open to the world championships and the custom setups as well? I currently manage a team (PAOK) in a custom setup and I am in Division 2 where nearly all teams have capacities of around 50 thousand and my team has 28 thousand. I am doing well at the moment (4th) but I'm struggling to be in the black ever since I took over the club (even when I was in division 3) because of the limitation in the stadium capacity. I believe that stadium capacity of teams with small stadia should have to do with the average capacity of each division as well as the performance of the team or something to that extent.

Regards,

Steven Tsikrikis

The reply I got was this:

SM Support said: 2008-05-10 10:21:29

Hi Steven,

This information is explained within our online help which can be accessed via this link - http:/www.soccermanager.com/wiki.

Regards

Mary

SM Support Team

Am I the only one who finds the info about stadium capacity ambiguous to say the least?

Nothing is clarified about who gets the increase and by how much. Something about small English clubs is mentioned but even that is not clear.

I know that SM wants to maintain realism to the game, but what is the reason that we play (and love) this game? Personally, I want to see my favourite team (PAOK), be the champion among the giants; a thing that will NEVER happen in real life (this was probably said about the Greek national team prior to 2004 becoming Euro Champions even from its most arden supporters ;):D ). The only way I will achieve this is by having a decent stadium. I know that you can make money via other means (e.g. buying youngsters that will increase in the near future e.t.c.), but the surest way is a big stadium.

In my account I manage Chelsea as well (World Championship 1737) with whom I won the Championship and the Shield as well. Believe me I didn't get as much joy as finishing 3rd in Division 2 and getting promoted to Div1 with my PAOK team.

By getting a larger stadium depending on the average attendance of the setup one's playing and the succes of one's team, I believe people will be glad to get and stay with smaller clubs for a long time.

Otherwise the phenomenon of going for the larger teams and team jumping will persist which is bad for the game.

Know what you mean goutsou. You could get an increase IMO if you get in 1st division, i think at least :) because your under 30 000 seats...

I manage Dinamo Zagreb in WC 453, almost from the start of the setup, (i think like a year and a half). Capacity of the stadium is 40,000 seats(3rd lowest in division). I took Dinamo in 3rd division, and got to 1st div in 3 seasons. Currently is mid of season and im 1st in my division, and i have healty 43 mil, with a small club like Dinamo Zagreb. I will finish top 4 for sure, and im 99% sure that i wont get a bigger stadium, as IMO SM considers that 40,000 seats is enough. As i understood this stadium building thing, they will increase clubs in EPL with like 10 000 seats playing in 1st division.

I just hope that im wrong, and that the increase would be consider based on other things, than on minimum stadium capacities for a 1st league club. I have very large wage deficit, as i must buy fair amount of "money makers" just to cope with some Barca, Milan and others who already have that financial status without 1 transfer in whole season. Still i doubt that i could get increase, and i think at least 5-10 k would be fair.

Just my thoughts anyhow, will see...

Does anyone really know who gets an increase' date=' in what setups and by how much? I think that people who manage small or mediocre teams are getting ever more frustrarted on this subject. A while back I have sent a ticket to SM about the subject, even suggesting a solution which I think won't be difficult to be implemended. This is the ticket:

You said: 2008-05-10 08:58:21

Is stadium buiding limited to the English championships and Gold setups or is it open to the world championships and the custom setups as well? I currently manage a team (PAOK) in a custom setup and I am in Division 2 where nearly all teams have capacities of around 50 thousand and my team has 28 thousand. I am doing well at the moment (4th) but I'm struggling to be in the black ever since I took over the club (even when I was in division 3) because of the limitation in the stadium capacity. I believe that stadium capacity of teams with small stadia should have to do with the average capacity of each division as well as the performance of the team or something to that extent.

Regards,

Steven Tsikrikis

The reply I got was this:

SM Support said: 2008-05-10 10:21:29

Hi Steven,

This information is explained within our online help which can be accessed via this link - http:/www.soccermanager.com/wiki.

Regards

Mary

SM Support Team

Am I the only one who finds the info about stadium capacity ambiguous to say the least?

Nothing is clarified about who gets the increase and by how much. Something about small English clubs is mentioned but even that is not clear.

I know that SM wants to maintain realism to the game, but what is the reason that we play (and love) this game? Personally, I want to see my favourite team (PAOK), be the champion among the giants; a thing that will NEVER happen in real life (this was probably said about the Greek national team prior to 2004 becoming Euro Champions even from its most arden supporters ;):D ). The only way I will achieve this is by having a decent stadium. I know that you can make money via other means (e.g. buying youngsters that will increase in the near future e.t.c.), but the surest way is a big stadium.

In my account I manage Chelsea as well (World Championship 1737) with whom I won the Championship and the Shield as well. Believe me I didn't get as much joy as finishing 3rd in Division 2 and getting promoted to Div1 with my PAOK team.

By getting a larger stadium depending on the average attendance of the setup one's playing and the succes of one's team, I believe people will be glad to get and stay with smaller clubs for a long time.

Otherwise the phenomenon of going for the larger teams and team jumping will persist which is bad for the game.[/quote']

I agree with you 100%

I manage Preston North End and Im in my second season in the top flight after I got promotion. Stadium Building was brought in during my first season in Div 1. Pictured is this seasons Stadium size league table:

attendancetable.jpg

I finished 9th last season which was pretty respectable considering i was hovering around £0K and I had to part exchange first team players (I had no player on the top scorers chart cos I traded out Nugent for Fletcher.

So I expected to get an increase in stadium capacity. The teams promoted for this season were Southampton, Aston Villa and Darlington. The Darlington manager has done well with that team, Division 4 to Division 1 in 6 seasons. But if you look on the table, I am bottom. I have a smaller capacity than Darlington!!! :eek: I was expecting like a 10,000 increase as I beat some of the bigger clubs, was responsible for a few 'cup-sets' and I had plenty of money (£21m) at the end of the season. But i got diddly squat!

Yes but despite being the smallest, your stadium is still extremely competitive and is not significantly smaller than any others.

The upgrades only apply to the really small grounds who are well out their depth ie 5k stadium playing in a league where everyone else is 20k.

At the moment it is not generally going to help top flight managers.

Yes but despite being the smallest' date=' your stadium is still extremely competitive and is not significantly smaller than any others.

The upgrades only apply to the really small grounds who are well out their depth ie 5k stadium playing in a league where everyone else is 20k.

At the moment it is not generally going to help top flight managers.[/quote']

So, my forrest which stands to win division 2 this season, which means iv got them from division 3 to 1 in two seasons has no chance of up slightly from a 30k stadium to something more even though iv achieved all that ?

Yes but despite being the smallest, your stadium is still extremely competitive and is not significantly smaller than any others.

At the moment it is not generally going to help top flight managers.

I have an average of 88 rating for my PAOK team and with an average age of 27 and I'm barely in the black (300k) while most teams in the top flight have a 93-94 rating and 150-200mil in the bank. Can you tell me how am I going to compete against those teams and those budgets? You're telling me that this does not generelly help managers of big teams?:eek:

You are both correct, that is what I am saying - it will only help minnows not average sized over-achievers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of that... but as far as I know the current situation is just 'stage 1' of stadium upgrades so in theory this will improve.

At least, I hope so.

You are both correct, that is what I am saying - it will only help minnows not average sized over-achievers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of that... but as far as I know the current situation is just 'stage 1' of stadium upgrades so in theory this will improve.

At least, I hope so.

Well I was reading the revised section on Improvements and New features and stadium building is nowhere to be seen, so I think that after all the hype, stadium building is reserved for some few very small English teams playing in the English championships.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I know that it sounds like complaining, but I think the majority of us managing "small" teams, especially the ones who play in world championships and custom setups, do have the same enquiry.

Here's why I persist so much in the matter.

I have gained promotion in the first division, the new season starts on the 10th of August still no news of the chairman rising the capacity.

The teams competing in Division 1 and their respective capacities

Division 1

Team Stadium (Capacity)

Arsenal Emirates Stadium (60,355)

Chelsea Stamford Bridge (42,449)

Liverpool Anfield (45,000)

Manchester United Old Trafford (76,212)

Newcastle United St James' Park (52,193)

Fiorentina Artemio Franchi (47,284)

Internazionale Giuseppe Meazza (85,700)

Milan San Siro (85,700)

Parma Ennio Tardini (29,149)

Barcelona Camp Nou (98,934)

Real Betis Manuel Ruíz de Lopera (55,000)

Real Madrid Santiago Bernabéu (80,400)

Ajax Amsterdam Arena (51,628)

Marseille Vélodrome (60,000)

Dynamo Kyiv Lobanovsky Dynamo Stadium (30,000)

Shakhtar Donetsk Shakhtar Stadium (50,000)

AEK Athens Olympic Stadium Athens (71,030)

Bayern Munchen Allianz Arena (69,901)

Celtic Celtic Park (60,832)

PAOK Toumba (28,701)

The average seating is 59023. Stadiums with acpacity of 30,000 or less 3.

Last year throughout the season I have made £34,000,000. Man Utd transfered Torres for £70,000,000 and these are just a few of the facts.

As I said before it comes down to realism versus playability. If SM wants to stick with realism then we will continue to have half filled to empty setups, people only going for the big teams etc.

But I believe that this is a game NOT reality and so it should be treated. So will a Dev please please give a more clarifying answer as to whom and how one gets a stadium with more seats and what will that increase be percentagewise?

Please don't take this as a rant, but as a concerned voice.

I am in agreement with you as I think stadium building definitely should be extended to apply to more teams.

I would recommend sending a ticket to SM about it... I would be surprised if they will comment here but fingers crossed they might.

I am in agreement with you as I think stadium building definitely should be extended to apply to more teams.

I would recommend sending a ticket to SM about it... I would be surprised if they will comment here but fingers crossed they might.

Unfortunately, I have sent a ticket a few months ago (look at an earlier post on this thread :P )

I think that if I send another one it will have the same result :(

I don't mean send a ticket asking how it works, I mean send a ticket saying that you are struggling due to your capacity and want to know when SM will be extending it so that clubs with reasonable side stadiums, but still out their depth, will be looked at.

If they reply similarly to the last one and close it, I would create a new ticket referencing the previous one and asking them not to give an automated response.

I am managing Mallorca in Spanish Championship 6 & after beating the likes of Real & Barca for the La Liga crown in the 1st season i was hoping to have few seats increased in my small stadium of 23,142...but nothing of that sort happened :(....although the chairman made a heavy cash investment of 12 mil which i wasnt expecting.....instead of it if he wud have expanded the stadium size to ard 30 k that wud have been very gud in the long term....

also if we take into a/c realism then if a lowly club wins 1st devision...its chairman wud surely increase the size of its stadium ...& also such a feature will enhance the playbility of this game B)

I don't mean send a ticket asking how it works, I mean send a ticket saying that you are struggling due to your capacity and want to know when SM will be extending it so that clubs with reasonable side stadiums, but still out their depth, will be looked at.

If they reply similarly to the last one and close it, I would create a new ticket referencing the previous one and asking them not to give an automated response.

Sending a ticket now. I'll keep you posted

Well here's the question

Dear Sir/madam,

I have read the online help on stadium building, however I have a question regarding teams which have a medium capacity playing in a division of teams with considerably higher capacities. I currently manage a team in a custom setup (PAOK) recently promoted to Div 1, where the average capacity of the stadia is nearly 60,000. My team has nearly 29,000, being the smallest stadium in the league. My Q is will my chairman increase the capacity so that I can be competitive against the other teams? Note that the average ranking of my squad is 88, playing against teams with a 92 ranking, and still I'm bearly in the black; I was struggling financially even when I was in Div 3 and Div 2, where even in those divisions I had one of the smallest stadia.

I get the notion that stadium building is reserved only for the very small English teams playing in the English championships. Is this the case and if yes, will stadium building extend to teams and situations like mine?

Thanking you in advance

Steven Tsikrikis

and her's the answer....

Hi Steven,

xxxxxxxxxxx

Regards

xxxxxx

SM Support Team

........and there you have it!!!!

I don't know what to say guys. I know that I cannot compete the larger teams the way things are right now. I know that I have to plan every penny I spend and receive and I know that I will probably finish bottom 4 and return to div 2 :( :( :(

Right now I am really dissapointed

How about...

Even if you're managing a big club, such as Chelsea (i'm very concerned about my Chelsea teams future...), you can keep getting stadium increases as long as certain requirements are met. Such as, low profit at the end of season, high attendance and success in the league/cup/shield (not all...).

I'm suggesting this because i have, what i'd consider to be, a godly team. With 10 players of 10million+ SM Value. However, seeing as 'The Bridge' is very small in size compared to some, just under 43,000, i can't afford to even start a decent youth team as my finances would go upside down. I'm even having to sell Ribery for extortion prices...

Seriously, i know this whole stadium building thing is to help the little teams, but even they will realistically never bridge the profit gap between the Barcelona's and them... It should be more like a game, and everyone able to increase stadium size, with a max of 100,000. So yea, The Nou Camp can grow, but so can everyone else.

Personally, I think something should be done based on where you come in the season. IE 1st of Div 1 (English champ) as say Fulham, they should be deserving of an increase so they have the opportunity to defend their title. Say you came second in Div 2 as Swindon (15k or stadium), therefore getting promoted, the stadium should be increased to about 20k first season, then maybe another 4 or 5k next season if they can stay up.

This would tie in quite well with chairman expectations. For instance if you meet the expectation of qualify for Europe, or get promoted, or survive relegation say, your stadium should be increased. This would give more chance for Chelsea and Liverpool to get a bigger stadium, if they can win the league say (if this was one of their expectations).

I anticipate a problem though, because if Man Utd were the recipients of a 3% increase then their stadium would increase from 76,212 to 78,498, a net increase of 2,286 seats. If a team with 30,000 seats were to get the same increase (3%) then capacity would then be at 30,900 (a 900 seat increase).

Therefore the situation and gap in wealth and earning potential would become even larger than it already is.

I think Old Trafford should be capped as the maximum number of seats any club can expand to. And certain financial and performance criteria built in to assess whether a club should be able to expand, and by how much.

I anticipate a problem though' date=' because if Man Utd were the recipients of a 3% increase then their stadium would increase from 76,212 to 78,498, a net increase of 2,286 seats. If a team with 30,000 seats were to get the same increase (3%) then capacity would then be at 30,900 (a 900 seat increase).

Therefore the situation and gap in wealth and earning potential would become even larger than it already is.

I think Old Trafford should be capped as the maximum number of seats any club can expand to. And certain financial and performance criteria built in to assess whether a club should be able to expand, and by how much.[/quote']

i honestly don't think the stadium of Manchester United in any setup has been expanded ever. Correct me if i am wrong. Also the chairman decides whether to expand the stadium or not and he also decides how much. So it also comes down to the individual clubs depending on success, size, budget, etc :)

I anticipate a problem though' date=' because if Man Utd were the recipients of a 3% increase then their stadium would increase from 76,212 to 78,498, a net increase of 2,286 seats. If a team with 30,000 seats were to get the same increase (3%) then capacity would then be at 30,900 (a 900 seat increase).

I think Old Trafford should be capped as the maximum number of seats any club can expand to. And certain financial and performance criteria built in to assess whether a club should be able to expand, and by how much.[/quote']

Old Trafford isnt the largest stadium on the game. Camp Nou is 98934, Azteca (America, Mexico) is 114465.

i think every club should have the option to increase their stadium capacity. by using money' date=' that would be great, or do some sponsorship kind of thing[/quote']

Never gonna happen, would further increase the gap between the Barcas and Millwalls of SM :o

And would basically undo although the good work done by this change :rolleyes: