Stadium Building

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

Re: Stadium Building

If a team moves to a bigger stadium or makes their stadium bigger' date=' then this change happens in older setups as well. But if they move to a smaller stadium or decrease their capacity (IE Juventus a year or two ago) then this only affects new setups following the change.[/quote']

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up :)

• 5 weeks later...

Does this only happen to very small clubs? I've finshed seasons in the top division placed high up with teams in stadiums around 25' date='000 and never had my chairman increase my stadium size.[/quote']

i think so, it is only really if your stadium isn't big enough top cope with the league u r in. I am Racing Ferrol in Gold champ 40 and had this message this morning:

"Your chairman has increased the capacity of the Stadium by 2,292 seats. The new capacity has now increased to 14,334."

So i think it only works with small stadiums.

I also would like stadium building but the problem would be e.g. If lots of managers in english division1 build stadium al teams would hav say minimum of 40000 and money would hav less value then it already has. The thing is that lots of people who want building cos they played a footballmanager game on they PC were u can build stadium but on such a game u the only 'human' manager against the computer

I understand the problem of everyone having a 40,000 seater stadium but for people like me who promote teams like qpr, bradford and shorpe to the premiership its not fair to hav 12,000 seater stadiums either... we have to rely on money spinners just to keep in touch with the big teams.

I also would like stadium building but the problem would be e.g. If lots of managers in english division1 build stadium al teams would hav say minimum of 40000 and money would hav less value then it already has. The thing is that lots of people who want building cos they played a footballmanager game on they PC were u can build stadium but on such a game u the only 'human' manager against the computer

Agree that money would have less value in the transfer market, but as you've eluded to, in many set-ups it doesn't have much value anyway!

The reason I want to be able to increase my stadium to the size enjoyed by the managers at the clubs with 30k + is because I would like to be able to pay my players wages without either selling the high wage earners or having to buy 50+ players a season purely to make money...

It seems to me that the only way to get set-ups half way near full would be to improve the stadium building, I for one dislike the amount of unmanaged clubs in set-ups, less competetive etc.

Maybe a better stadium increase option could be included on custom set-ups? Could cater for those people that think its a good idea and for those that dont then! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does this only happen to very small clubs? I've finshed seasons in the top division placed high up with teams in stadiums around 25' date='000 and never had my chairman increase my stadium size.[/quote']

I am in a similar position to this having taken Bradford City to Division 1 from Division 4 and i'm now having to improve the squad further than before due to the quality of opposition im facing, but at around 25k i don't think my stadium is going to be increased by the chairman even though it could well be needed in the near future. I've seen the likes of Morecambe's Christie Park go up at my friends teams but at Valley Parade's capacity it doesn't look as though SM feel they need to be expanded, something that could be great if introduced in the future because small teams need to have the chance to get their stadium up to the level of the others around them if they have been successful.

this is definitely the only way forward.

With all the changes, it is now impossible to start a new GC team who are small and take them up to the glories of having a successful squad. I own an Iraklis team with 27k capacity, and although that sounds big, when having to compete with the likes of Lazio (70k+) Man Utd (50k+) and other teams for risers and youth talent, it is almost impossible. There should be a way that you are rewarded for success in the leagues or cups to have your stadium capacity increased.

While writing this I just had another idea, perhaps budget should be set by success, with stadium capacity not being such a key figure. If I win the Greek league with Iraklis, I will be in the SMFA Champions Cup, so I will need the higher rated players to compete. For cash injections by chairmans, you could get a message saying: "Due to your performances in the league and cups last season, your chairman will invest £££/nothing." If teams like Man Utd didn't qualify for the SMFA Champions Cup, they may get a message saying: "Due to the lack of success as expected, the chairman requests that you sell Nemanja VIDIC and Cristiano RONALDO."

• 1 month later...

On one hand you say you want an element of realism, yet on the other hand you say clubs like Everton can't see stadium increases?

In real terms, United can afford to have a much bigger squad than Everton because of the difference in stadium size and therefore afford to have more highly rated players aswell. If Everton were to make a push towards the top, come 3rd in div 1, with United say 10 points ahead. You could then say "Everton cant really do any better now because they are already fit to burst on finances and have no strength in depth" But in reality, if it was the case that Everton had managed to get as high as 3rd, the chairman would be more inclined to increase the stadium size by 5,000 seats, and this could help to close the gap to the top spot because this could mean they could afford another good player who could make all the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

like a lot of people said before i think you should allow juventus to increase its stadium capacity it simply cannot compete with the leagues stadiums. Imagine juventus stadium is at a capacity of 25370 while almost all of the clubs in the league have 50000+ stadiums and its really unfair because u cant pay ur salaries each week

Imagine juventus stadium is at a capacity of 25370 while almost all of the clubs in the league have 50000+ stadiums and its really unfair because u cant pay ur salaries each week

I think SM are making changes to reflect a clubs income has more to do with TV money coming in then gate receipts.

So for example whether you are Histon, Bradford City or Juventus, if you have been good enough to get your team promoted to Div 1 you will share in the same TV riches as Man Utd or Barcelona.

They will continue to get a bit more income from higher gate receipts but this will become less important in the seasons ahead.

like a lot of people said before i think you should allow juventus to increase its stadium capacity it simply cannot compete with the leagues stadiums. Imagine juventus stadium is at a capacity of 25370 while almost all of the clubs in the league have 50000+ stadiums and its really unfair because u cant pay ur salaries each week

This is happening to me in a custom game world with my mates. I was lumbered with Juventus with their crappy stadium and they have Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc etc what the hell do I do with that :|

The average in the division is 59,850 and my stadium is 25,451....a season has just finished and no stadium increase happened for me. The average is more than DOUBLE mine :eek:

My wages are £1m a turn and I have a squad of 25 and a youth squad of 45. The reason for this is so I can get the young risers and sell them on to make some money to pay my bloomin wages :(

Daziho reduce your wage bill then, You took over a team with a stadium of that size, what else were you exspecting? to be able to compete with barcelona fianancially?

& Was Previosly Posted just befor your post TV income Will now be levelled out so stadium size will have less of an impact.

Have some consideration some of us have to compete with the United's etc of this world with 17/18,000 stadiums...

You just need to adjust your spending habbits & watch your wage exspenditure.

My point is, if I reduce my wage bill to a level where a 25,000 stadiums income will allow me to break even, I will have a horrendous team compared to the rest of the league and will be relegated. I dont think I am able to compete with Barcelona financially, I just want to be able to have a decent enough squad to compete without losing massive amounts of money each week.

For the record, Juventus were the very first team I took over when I started SM therefore I did not realise the problems I would face as I did not know how this game worked. According to the blog I read, stadium expansions are supposed to give you an attendance in line with the average of the league which is what im after. I do not expect a 98000 seater stadium but closer to the 59,000 average as this is what is stated in the blog regarding stadium expansion.

I will refer you to an example I made in a previous thread ( I cannot remember the name so did not post a link ) of how this can hinder a side. Obviously this is just an example and is not done with any research into actual finances.

Example:

Each ticket costs £20 with season tickets costing £300. 50% of the clubs gate is season ticket holders therefore if you fill your stadium to its capacity you will receive half of the attendance in individual gate receipts. Let us use an easy figure to divide by for TV money, example figure of £100m. This would be divided by the 20 teams in the league.

So

Juventus

Season Ticket Income - (12,500 x £300) = £3.75m

Gate Receipts - (12,500 x £20) = £250,000

TV Income - £5m

Multiply the £250,000 by the 19 league matches per season and you will have a total income of £4.75m

£3.75m + £5m + £4.75m = £13.5m

Over 38 turns, I must not have a wage bill over £355,000 if I want to break even over the course of the season. Obviously there is things like merchandise and possible prize money but im not sure of these figures so left it out. Plus you cannot rely on finishing in a certain position nor can you rely on winning cup tournaments to pay a players wage, this would be foolish.

TEAM B with Average of 60,000 capacity

Season Ticket Income - (30,000 x £300) = £9m

Gate Receipts - (30,000 x £20) = £625,000

TV Income - £5m

Again multiply the gate receipts by the 19 home league matches. This would equal £11.875m

£9m + £5m + £11.875m = £25.875m

Over the 38 turns, TEAM B cannot go over £680,000 per turn. This is a massive increase and would give TEAM B the ability to retain higher rated players giving them a better chance of league survival and possibly success. Again, I have not included and form of prize money or merchandise so increase those figures however you see fit.

I just feel stadium expansions are normal for teams wishing to compete at a higher level. Arsenal for example, they added around 20,000-25,000 to their stadium to enable them to compete financially with the top sides. Liverpool and Tottenham are doing the same thing and I imagine Chelsea will do so also. If you are looking for realism, I think it is realistic to expect your club to aspire towards higher stadium capacity's dependant on how sucessfull a club they are and hope to be in the future.

Sorry for huge post, tried to get my point across. Understand, I do not want millions and millions of pounds in my bank balance nor do I want the ability to player hogg, just the ability to compete.

Is it true that if your stadium is over 20k it will not get an increase.If so thats really bad as you then have no hope of competing againinst other clubs

I would disagree. Portsmouth won our 1st Div last season with clubs like Man Utd competing in the same league. Pompey have a capacity around 20K, they just managed their budget and team better than anyone else.

If winning on SM was just about controlling the teams with the biggest stadiums, then nobody would play.

The only way to effectively manage a small staduim budget is to constantly buy money spinners to increase your income. This is the only way I can see managers re-addressing their finances to compete with the top teams. Even with a healthy squad size with half the capacity and half the income of course you wont be able to keep up with the Jone's.

You can of course loan out players and let the plauyers contracts auto renew at their end (they seem to be lower than when you offer them manually) but these are only small helps really.

Its how I brought teams such as QPR, Bradford and Shorpe up into the higher leagues and managed to stay afloat. Stadiums are capped around the 25k mark as far as i can tell so after that you have to do what you can.

• 2 months later...

An option to invest funds in the stadium would be nice, rather than have to live with what the chairman dishes out. Having taken Grimsby from the 4th Division to the 2nd Division in consecutive seasons, I was expecting a nice stadium increase to help me compete in a division that currently contains the likes of:

Hull

Leeds

Newcastle

Southampton

Liverpool (lols)

...and lots of other usual Div 2 suspects with stadium capacities in the 20,000+ territory (Charlton, Leicester, Nottm Forest, Sheffield Utd, Reading etc).

Yet I get a "will not invest any more funds" (understandable, the team average rating is 88ish) but ONLY a 1.5k increase in capacity, taking me to a whopping 11.8k... whoop!!!!

Fingers crossed for a bigger increase next season, but I'm going to have to wheel/deal like a mentalist to stay in the black. Now, if I had the option to, I'd happily sell a top player and use the cash to pay for a bigger increase (say £1m per 1,000 seats) up to the division average. For obvious reasons, this figure should not be exceeded, but the division average isn't unreasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

i think what has been added is very good but i wish the manager could improve the stadium because i managed portsmouth and won the premiership and the english cup yet i struggled the next season because i couldn't buy anyone because my stadium could only hold 20000 and i finished mid table and then the next year i had to sell some players and i dropped to 15th

I was thinking about this this morning and believe that you should be able to but seats for an amount of money. I would propose that an extra thousand seats costs you £10m now for teams who have a stadium of 50-60 thousand the extra capacity doesn't really warrant the outlay, however if your a team with a 10-25 thousand seat stadium then the cost seems a little more worthwhile. Something to think about anyway

Not convinced as attendence now seems to be linked to what the team gets in real life hence Man Utd teams at the bottom of div 2 get 70,000 yet my fluminense team gets 25,000 in div 1, even though they've a stadium that holds 90,000+. People moan about changes etc that SM make to the game however linking your attendance to what the real life teams gets is the worst change. I recently saw a piece about taking a minnow (Darlington) to div 1 and how wonderful it was....well let me tell you, you can forget about anyone else ever doing that as Darlington only get 2,000 in real life hence they'll now get that in Dv 1.

It does sound a good idea but in old setups people would hav gathered lots of money so a lot of teams would be able to build big stadiums. Also if u got lots of rating risers u can easily sell and have enough funds to upgrade the stadium. The only way i can see it work if u are only aloud to upgrade once a season and pay alot of money exp 20mil for 5000 seats

• 2 weeks later...

Not convinced as attendence now seems to be linked to what the team gets in real life hence Man Utd teams at the bottom of div 2 get 70' date='000 yet my fluminense team gets 25,000 in div 1, even though they've a stadium that holds 90,000+. People moan about changes etc that SM make to the game however linking your attendance to what the real life teams gets is the worst change. I recently saw a piece about taking a minnow (Darlington) to div 1 and how wonderful it was....well let me tell you, you can forget about anyone else ever doing that as Darlington only get 2,000 in real life hence they'll now get that in Dv 1.[/quote']

I agree word for word with you. Attendance should be based on performance.

My Port Vale is about to win D2, after previously winning D3 and D4, similar to the Darlington story...unfortunately I can no longer afford the squad I spent considerable time planning and building and will have no chance in D1. Three seasons wasted.

I also have Dundee United in a Scottish setup and can no longer compete. I've had to start selling my best players as I began hemmoraging cash after the attendance changes. No chance of competing with the Old Firm now. Again, this was a team I spent a lot of time planning.