Stadium Building

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Riferimento: Re: Stadium Building That's good to hear but IMO in the new year if you've fixed bugs etc on SM2015 i don't see why you would want to waste resources and time on it looking to add n

Re: Stadium Building ah.. just saw that the Juventus Stadium is wrong, the correct name of stadium is Delle Alpi and have 69000 seats.. but stadium attributed in game to Juventus is Stadio Olimpico d

Re: Stadium Building Hi all, Well I must say I'm a little depressed after reading this thread! Joined SM because I wanted to take a small club to geatness, not do the usual 'keep a great club great'

Re: Stadium Building

After many seasons in Div 1 my Wycombe Wanderers are now up to 21,000 capacity (from a real life 10,000). This means that they are now at break even financially, although still at a disadvantage against the bigger clubs.

Should I expect a further rise in my English Championship in the future?

• 3 weeks later...

Just promoted with Northampton from Division 4 to Division 3, stadium size: 7, 653. It was the third smallest stadium in Division 4 (the 2 that were smaller had around 7,100 ), but now it is the smallest in Division 3 by a mile, there are stadiums as big as 25,000 or 40,000 (Leeds) and the smallest are of the teams just promoted (the other 2 teams still have over 9,000 stadiums).

Shouldn't I get an increase to at least 11,000, as that is the smallest stadium in the Division, besides the stadiums of the newly promoted teams?

• 3 weeks later...

i have a tottenham team in World Championship 2433. i joined them at the end of the 1st season where they were in the 2nd division. the max capacity of the stadium was 36,310. it is now at the start of the 6th season and the capacity is still the same. in the 4 and a bit seasons ive been in charge i have won promotion and finished in the top 5 in the 1st division the past 3 seasons. my stadiums capacity is the smallest in the league, so i produce the least revenue. to stay in the top 5 i have to continue to bring in top players but my wages are already £1,175,720 and im making a loss every week so i have to sell players to pay wages. what i want to know is, why hasn't my stadium capacity increased, so that i can continue to improve my team.

average attendance of league for season 5 was 45,000

my average attendance 34,583

I expect SM think that the revenue from a 35k stadium should be enough to maintain a top side.

If you are paying £1,175,000 in wages, that presumably means you have a lot of very highly paid players (14 or 15 on £80,000 a week), a lot of players on lower wages, or more likely a mixture of the two?

In which case you should have enough assets to be able to improve.

• 1 month later...

I expect SM think that the revenue from a 35k stadium should be enough to maintain a top side.

If you are paying £1' date='175,000 in wages, that presumably means you have a lot of very highly paid players (14 or 15 on £80,000 a week), a lot of players on lower wages, or more likely a mixture of the two?

In which case you should have enough assets to be able to improve.[/quote']

This may well be true but someone with a 25k stadium has to work a lot lot harder to stay at the top... than a team with 75-80k+..

For example Man U(75k) could be getting an extra £1mill over a Home & Away game pair than Everton(40.5k)... if the teams had similar squads...

That could be £19mill extra over a season, just because one side has a bigger stadium in real life... Can't say that's not a useful thing to have! And compared to a team with 25k stadium, it could be possibly getting on for say 30mill?!!!

I think there should be a stadium cap. limit and by good performances you can work your way up to it... through the Chairman upgrading it method.

If you are paying £1' date='175,000 in wages, that presumably means you have a lot of very highly paid players (14 or 15 on £80,000 a week), a lot of players on lower wages, or more likely a mixture of the two?

In which case you should have enough assets to be able to improve.[/quote']

Steve I have a side in GC 7 with stadium size of 29997 and the wage bill is £363170 which means, for a home game, I get about £400k but away from home I probably lose most of, if not all of that. The team in its current form is quite poor in that a lot of the players do not feature for their clubs in real life so at the moment I have to sell about half the squad, some of which have transfer bans, and buy better players.

I reckon the guy above is probably losing a hefty sum of money per turn because I have a lower wage bill than that for my Boca Juniors side, which gets nearly full capacity pretty much every game with a capacity of 57395, and I just about make a profit every week.

If you're in GC 7 have a gander at Club Brugge and you'll see what I mean.

Steve I have a side in GC 7 with stadium size of 29997 and the wage bill is £363170 which means' date=' for a home game, I get about £400k but away from home I probably lose most of, if not all of that. The team in its current form is quite poor in that a lot of the players do not feature for their clubs in real life so at the moment I have to sell about half the squad, some of which have transfer bans, and buy better players.

I reckon the guy above is probably losing a hefty sum of money per turn because I have a lower wage bill than that for my Boca Juniors side, which gets nearly full capacity pretty much every game with a capacity of 57395, and I just about make a profit every week.

If you're in GC 7 have a gander at Club Brugge and you'll see what I mean.[/quote']

I'm toying with the idea of going Gold and trying the GC leagues.

At the moment i have 3 teams and it's tuff to compete with the bigger sides!

One of my sides has a 10.7k stadium and it's not even filling each week!! The team is 5 points clear at the top of Div.3 in an Eng. Champ and there is usualy about 1000 seats empty each home game. So far, at turn 18, i've made 40 transfers and last season i would have made over 100-120 ish and i'm in the red lol.

Each home game i make about -£150k and -£600k away. Team average is 89 and to keep a float i have to work in 'transfer windows' and spend any and all money i have when it's there other wise wage bills just eat it away.

This way by buying loads of money spinners, itallows me to cover debts and improve the squad a little... and hopefuly invest in the next round of money makers!!

Last season finished 7th and hopefuly 1st this time round! No stadium increase last time, dispite being 4-5k less than the middle team, in attendance figures...

If i'm going to survive in div.2 a stadium increase will be desperatly needed!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I manage Hibernian in GC41 and a couple of sesons back my stadium capacity increased of 5k seats, more or less. The problem is that I'm now noting that the stadium attendance never increased and even if last year I won the League and the two national cups, this year my attendance is always no more than 16,900 (which I suppose is the older stadium capacity). Even for Champions Cup home games, the attendance won't grow. Is this normal? Am I the only one who got this problem? Maybe it's normal, but I suppose that for a small team like Hibs it would be mandatory to have a full stadium during a Champions Cup game!

Best,

s

I'd just like to point something out that I saw today. Espanyol's stadium is real life has a capacity of 40000 yet its SM value is 55926. Now SM did say that stadium upgrades would only happen to teams with small stadiums, but 40000 is hardly small in any league in this day and age. Also that team has not secured any honours.

What happens if your club ground shares with another club' date=' ie San Siro as an example? [/quote']

I think both teams get the same increase, but because most teams that groundshare usually have big stadiums in correlation to SM's stance of only allowing small stadiums to expand, I think that situation is unlikely to ever occur(unless of course you, or anyone else, has seen it happen. :)

I'd just like to point something out that I saw today. Espanyol's stadium is real life has a capacity of 40000 yet its SM value is 55926. Now SM did say that stadium upgrades would only happen to teams with small stadiums' date=' but 40000 is hardly small in any league in this day and age. Also that team has not secured any honours.[/quote']

Wouldn't that rather have something to do with Espanyol recently moving from the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys to the Estadi Cornellà-El Prat?

Afaik, SM don't decrease the stadium size in already existing Game Worlds, but in new Game Worlds clubs are allocated their new stadium with a smaller size.

Wouldn't that rather have something to do with Espanyol recently moving from the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys to the Estadi Cornellà-El Prat?

Afaik' date=' SM don't decrease the stadium size in already existing Game Worlds, but in new Game Worlds clubs are allocated their new stadium with a smaller size.[/quote']

Right OK I didn't know that so thanks. It does say Estadi Cornell El Prat for both stadia on Espanyol's overview on the gameworld so it does make it seem it's had an expansion.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we should be able to improve our stadium using the money we make. My exeter side has 9k stadium i think but i will never be able to compete with the big boys due to my stadium only rising by so much when i get promoted.

With my Liverpool side i have a very strong team and would love to use the money i have acquired to build a bigger stadium as Real and Barca make so much more money than me due to the size of their stadium.

If you are successful you should be able to improve your stadium and go from there. If you are unsuccessful i doubt you'll be selling out your stadium anyway and there will be no need for an upgrade.

I wanted to make my own topic because it was so long ... lol

I of course welcome any criticism and thoughts on this matter. While it's a long post it's a fairly simple concept.

Let me start off by saying that SM is about managing the team. You are not the chairman, and certain financial decisions are up to the chairman, not you. However, I feel that an integral part of managing a team is having to deal with the finances of a team and working around that. However, in SM each club is static. The finances 'never' change, and the chairman never evolves his thinking. So essentially, you're stuck with the same stadium, the same expectations, and the same problems you had last season.

So I'm looking to ideas to change this. Again, I'm spitballing after about an hour's thought, so don't expect it to be perfect or even completely logical :P

The first thing that needs to change in order for this to work is remove SM's ridiculous reliance on real-world attendance data and base attendance on team form and fan support. This could also open up doors for a few more marketing options. Again, I realise that you're not the chairman, you're the manager, and the game is about 'managing the football matches' and I'll be flamed for suggesting that, with a team comes more than just the actual game itself. Media, marketing and global exposure. Merchandising and such all works because of fan support. But that's all I'll say about that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Allow managers to increase seating capacity at most once per season, during the 'off-season', on a sliding scale cost-wise, to a percentage higher based on how well the team has done that past season. Also, perhaps don't allow this to happen for a team unless that team has been managed by the same manager for a full season (or, lets say more than 80% of the season), and yes ... this option should be available for AI managers as well, under the same conditions.

So lets case-study it. Liverpool (45k capacity, Div 1) performs admirably in the league and cup competitions. The crowd support is pretty much capacity for all but the meekest of oppositions. For the sake of comparison, lets assume that Liverpool placed in the top 3 in the league and reached the finals of the league cup and the semi-finals of the champions league. The chairman of the board then offers you the following kind of options (the pricing is just made up):

* Add 1000 seats: 7 million

* Add 2000 seats: 10 million

* Add 5000 seats: 20 million

* Add 100 media boxes: 20 million

* Add 200 media boxes: 35 million

(getting cheaper as the quantity increases)

Okay, now the same positions and results, but for a smaller team like Fulham (with a +/- 25k stadium)

* Add 1000 seats: 4 million

* Add 2000 seats: 7 million

* Add 5000 seats: 18 million

* Add 100 media boxes: 16 million

* Add 200 media boxes: 29 million

Right, now I know what you're thinking. If it's this easy, then what's the point in struggling to build a team and balance your finances? Well, here's the same 'offer' for the same Liverpool, but for 10th-position with no cup performances of note:

* Add 1000 seats: 20 million

* Add 100 media boxes: 35 million

So you still have to perform well with your team to get more upgrade options at better prices. Think of it from the perspective of an investor. A team that does well is a good team to invest in. Therefore, as an investor I would be willing to invest 'more', offering the club more confidence.

Also, the increased capacities also means an increased need to justify that capacity. So the effect of increasing the stadium sizes is an increased expectation from the chairman. As such, these changes can also be tied in with Chairman Expectations: "Finish in the top half of the table and perhaps we can install an extra 4000 seats."

Now let's say that a team with less quality moves up from Div 2 with his 15k stadium. He's a good side, nothing amazing though. Yet. So he gets a good cash injection and (maybe) an automatic small stadium upgrade, as it is. However, he also gets the following options:

* Add extra 1000 seats: 5 million

* Add extra 2000 seats: 15 million

* Add extra 5000 seats: 40 million

(getting more expensive as the quantity increases)

This is because a NEWLY promoted team should have the opportunity to compete a bit easier in the 'big leagues' but investors wouldn't get too over-awed, creating a super-uber-massive stadium for a team that may or may not make it in the 'big leagues'

Now, the other thing that needs to be created is the 'Likely Capacity' scenario. When a team is promoted, the have a certain fan support that is loyal to them. They are the fans that filled out the original-sized stadium. However, the newly expanded stadium wont be instantly filled, that kind of support will come over time. Likewise, should a team with an expanded stadium be relegated, they wont instantly lose all their supporters but a good chunk of crowd attendance would disappear. Fans are fickle!

Now all this doesn't mean that stadiums can grow indefinitely. Well technically they should be able to, but there will come a point when expanding your stadium is just too expensive versus the income gained. This point can be determined by the average attendance, but more importantly should be judged by the average size of the top 3 stadiums in your league. So, for the sake of argument, the average top 3 stadium size is 70,000. The soft-cap (where only get expansion offers if you are winning multiple competitions consistently) for expansion could be 65,000, and you can stop getting expansion offers completely at 80,000.

Now what that means is that in theory, what a league you could have ... all your Division 1 teams could have 60-80k stadiums. Groovy. What about the filling all those seats for the teams that aren't doing well? Simple, calculate attendance based on team form, player appeal, and the earlier-mentioned marketing factors (to put it very broadly, more money spent on marketing = fuller stadiums regardless of form) as well as the actual match in question.

So a team struggling at the bottom of the table will invariably have less full stadia, which means less money, which means less money to spend on players. Same old story. Should that team get demoted, then they don't lose the capacity of the stadium immediately, but should they not be promoted again the next season (looking at Newcastle United for inspiration here, hehe) then "the Chairman has decided to turn an area of the stadium containing 5000 seats into extra bathrooms" and you lose the capacity. Ooops!

So...not only does an option like this add an extra dimension to the game for existing managers - who (like me) have massive issues with the fact that success comes down to who has the most money, the best players, and the right tactics - to expand their empire and build bigger and better teams that cost more but make more, but it also opens up the door for small-time teams to do as any small-time team would do: work hard and if the cards fall in their favour, they get promoted, do well and suddenly they have a chance in the big leagues.

So in summary:

* Get rid of attendance figures based on real-life values.

* Make stadium maintenance relative to the size of your ground, not to the size of your team or the league that you're in. Obviously, update this as the stadium gets bigger or smaller.

* Allow managers to upgrade their stadia, but not whenever they want for a flat rate.

* Make the rewards for winning competitions etc a bit more substantial. Not asking for millions just for reaching the knockout phase, but a little extra cash never hurt anyone. This can help fund the stadia improvements.

Let the flaming commence :P

• 3 weeks later...

If SM are serious about maintaining "a level of realism" then they really do need to improve this aspect of the game.

My Dunfermline Athletic have just won the Division 1 title for the third year running and are in the final of the SMFA Cup, their average rating is 93, yet they only have a 12k stadium and average just over (only just) 11k attendance.. This is completely unrealistic imo - any team that achieves that level of success and has such a high standard of player, in reality will have folk clambering to get tickets - there's no way that 1000 tickets would be left unsold for each game in that size stadium in those circumstances and there's no way that any chairman with such a successful club would not have at least doubled the capacity by now - yet I've had only one stadium capacity increase and that was by 1000 or so when I was first promoted.

As far as I can tell, the reason my stadium hasn't been improved is because Rangers and Celtic are doing badly (because I keep winning) and because they add such a huge proportion of the league's average attendance, said league average is stagnant.

The upshot of that is that I will have to stop winning and let Rangers and Celtic compete between them for a bit if I want the setup's average attendance to rise and my stadium to be improved.

Would I be right in this assumption? That, under the current system, in order to improve my stadium I will have to deliberately lose?

If SM are serious about maintaining "a level of realism" then they really do need to improve this aspect of the game.

My Dunfermline Athletic have just won the Division 1 title for the third year running and are in the final of the SMFA Cup' date=' their average rating is 93, yet they only have a 12k stadium and average just over (only just) 11k attendance.. [b']This is completely unrealistic imo[/b] - any team that achieves that level of success and has such a high standard of player, in reality will have folk clambering to get tickets - there's no way that 1000 tickets would be left unsold for each game in that size stadium in those circumstances and there's no way that any chairman with such a successful club would not have at least doubled the capacity by now - yet I've had only one stadium capacity increase and that was by 1000 or so when I was first promoted.

As far as I can tell, the reason my stadium hasn't been improved is because Rangers and Celtic are doing badly (because I keep winning) and because they add such a huge proportion of the league's average attendance, said league average is stagnant.

The upshot of that is that I will have to stop winning and let Rangers and Celtic compete between them for a bit if I want the setup's average attendance to rise and my stadium to be improved.

Would I be right in this assumption? That, under the current system, in order to improve my stadium I will have to deliberately lose?

Well, we also know that in reality, Dunfermline Athletic will never have Agueros, Sneijders and Piques, correct? ;)

Yes, but the basic premise of this game is for this feature - squads - to be manipulated. It would be a different game if you had to keep your team's own squad. Hence the use of the term "levels of realism" and not simply "realism" in the absolute sense.

The point of all that is that the announcement on the first post of this thread makes it clear that stadium building by chairmen was initially introduced way back when in order to make that aspect of the game more realistic. I don't think it has, because realistically if a club DID get those players (as they all may do in SM) then they would be a very big attraction.

Yes' date=' but the basic premise of this game is for this feature - squads - to be manipulated. It would be a different game if you had to keep your team's own squad. Hence the use of the term "levels of realism" and not simply "realism" in the absolute sense.

The point of all that is that the announcement on the first post of this thread makes it clear that stadium building by chairmen was initially introduced way back when in order to make that aspect of the game more realistic. I don't think it has, because realistically if a club DID get those players (as they all may do in SM) then they would be a very big attraction.[/quote']

Ur right your stadium should grow pending your sucsess by now u shud really hav a 50-60k stadium:o