So, as everyone says on the forums "Reina always makes mistakes, hes useless, he deserves a 92" etc, etc, mainly "Hes always making mistakes."

I would like to congratulate him today on winning the Golden Gloves 2007/2008 season.

Taken from Liverpoolfc.tv:

"Pepe Reina has scooped the Golden Glove award for most clean sheets in the Premier League for the third successive season. "

Three seasons in a row? Wow, he must be an awful keeper?

Congratulations Reina :D

Re: Pepe Reina

He seems to let the pressure get to him in big games. like the 2006 FA Cup final.

But he's a great keeper.

yup he is a gud keeper....but the golden gloves go to the keeper who keeps the most clean sheets so the defence should be congratulated as well....he is a gud keeper easily worth 93...perhaps future 94 but it is safe to admit cech is a better keeper..i think the height is a major difference

Reina really deserve a 94 rating but the fact that he has failed to accomplished much at the international level works against him i suppose. He's a great goalkeeper and keeps the ball out of the net pretty well for Liverpool but Casillas has also been in awesome form for Madrid for the past few seasons and is one of the main reasons why Real Madrid managed to win the La liga this season. Most notably, he almost single-handedly help Madrid win their game against Zaragoza ealier this season by forming one impressive save afeter another to keep out Zaragoza's strong efforts and not to forget his match winning saves in Spain for Madrid this season. Casillas has also been pretty consistent at the international level too. Therefore, i could see no reason why Casillas would be replaced as Spain's No. 1 goalkeeper with excellent form and skills. It is a pity for Reina as he has little chance of ever becoming the No. 1 goalkeeper for Spain as long as Casillas is present. And it would be hard for Reina to have any further rise in his rating if he doesn't play for Spain. But he's a great goalkeeper nevertheless and being able to keep the most clean sheets in the EPL is a rather amazing achievement :]

Ok before i start i just want to say that i am not anti Liverpool infact i think the players and the coaching staff have done a great job this season to have done as well as they have with all the turmoil going on off the field. But i just think that he crumbles under the pressure. Let's face it i have never seen him play to his full potential in the 'big' games. Ok i can't speak for every big game Liverpool play in as i don't support Liverpool but coming from a neutral view i think he looks no better than an 88 when he plays against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United to name a few. Yet in the less important games, against the likes of Wigan, Derby, Birmingham etc, he seems like a world star between the posts and would fully deserve a 94. In my personal opinion i think the reason he performs best in the smaller games and why he has won this award is because of his defence. He has a great 4 in front of him and Liverpool usually play 2 holding midfielders which makes it 6 defensive minded players. And something like that is hard to break down and trouble on a regular basis especially for smaller clubs with less of a strike force. But on the other hand team like Arsenal and United have the attacking power to break down Liverpool's wall of 6 meaning the keeper has much more to do. And in these games he struggles. Weather this is ability that he lacks or the mental side i think to become a 94+ on SM he needs to work on his 'big' game performances. He also doesn't keep at international level and if you look at all of the top rated player on SM (93+) the majority of them have played at international level at some point in there career for a good lengthy stint.

So in my opinion he is lucky to be at 93 considering his international career and i would be shocked if he went up to 94 and beyond unless he gets some time with Spain. He is a good goalkeeper at a good club but simply not as good as the likes of Buffon. :)

In my opinion he is far greater than Van Der Sar, comparing him to Van Der Sar is an insult.

Reina has proved he is one of the top keepers in the world with his form and the statistics dont lie, he has the most clean sheets for 3 seasons and has a great record at saving penalties.

3 years of consistant clean sheets and people are trying to say he is **** because he had 1 bad day in an FA cup final (where he later became a hero)

To be honest Reina is one of my favourite keepers. After Buffon, Casillas and Cech, I think he's my next favourite. I like his syle of goalkeeping more than the likes of VDS. The latter (like Cech) is the big, lanky type, but Reina is different. In fact, although with a similar shape to Casillas, I think he's different from him too.

There seem to be 3 types - Reina being from the rarest category.

You have big, tall, usually thin keepers who use their reach well, usually the most successful (Van Der Saar, Kalac, Cech, Gordon, etc...), the middle group of shorter keepers but extremely thin and flexible - they can stay in the air for so long (Casillas, Dudek, Justin Haber (Malta No. 1 :D ) etc..), and then there is the shortish type, however they have a bigger build, and are usually calm, cool, and skilful too (Reina, MAYBE Abbondanzieri, etc...) which is the rarest if you ask me.

Anyway, we're talking about Reina. Yes, I think he's a class keeper. He dominates his box, very good in the air, and most importantly, very good with his feet.

To be honest International football is difficult for him with Casillas up there, so you can't say he doesn't deserve 94 because he's not an International - it's not fair :) In fact I think he does deserve a 94.:o